Start by marking “This Shattered Land (Surviving the Dead, #2)” as Want to Read:
This Shattered Land  (Surviving the Dead, #2)

This Shattered Land (Surviving the Dead #2)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,789 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Eric Riordan doesn't look for trouble, but trouble has a way of finding him.

Two years have passed since the Outbreak. After joining forces with his friend Gabriel he has managed to stay alive by fleeing to the peaks of the Appalachian mountains. With supplies running low, and enemies gathering, the two survivors are forced to begin their journey west to Colorado.

Along the
Published July 14th 2012 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about This Shattered Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Shattered Land

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
1,085 books — 2,653 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,432 books — 3,988 voters

More lists with this book...

John Podlaski
Jul 27, 2013 John Podlaski rated it really liked it
"This Shattered Land" by James Cook is the second book in the trilogy of "Surviving the Dead". I downloaded the first book in the series for free and soon discovered that this unknown author had a talent for writing. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book, finding it engaging and entertaining. Mr. Cook had me hooked and I quickly purchased and downloaded the next two books, confident that I would enjoy them as much. I was not disappointed.

In book two, we learn that after two years from the outbreak
Bobby Cooper
Aug 01, 2012 Bobby Cooper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bobbys-favorites

After reading No Easy Hope, I thought going in to this that there was no way James Cook could top the first one. I stand corrected!! The characters are well developed,his writing to me just flows like poetry,but not at the stories expense. It had plenty of action and heart. You get to know the characters on a much deeper level,and new characters are introduced. You will really love the direction this story goes and I just wish the next one was already out!!
THIS GUY CAN WRITE!! YOU WILL GET LOS
Alex Bobl
Jan 22, 2013 Alex Bobl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: some-cool-books
As somebody with a military background, I could really appreciate this book. There've been too many zombie books just lately - the market is over over oversaturated - and quite a few are written by people who don't know the difference between a gun and their own backside. The author's remarkable attention to detail makes the story spring to life - this is a mature, intelligent take on the zombie apocalypse theme that makes it sound too real -prophetic, even (touch wood!). Overall, an excellent n ...more
Betty
Mar 02, 2014 Betty rated it liked it
The editing of the second book in this series was better than the first, but that's really not saying much as it was virtually nonexistent in the first. And again, this is a book in desperate need of a proofreader. It is obvious that whoever is doing the proofing, if anyone, is someone who has read previous drafts of the manuscript. How else to explain words that are missing or out of order other than a proofer who is "seeing" the words on the page as they should be and not as they actually are? ...more
Marie Bayer
May 03, 2014 Marie Bayer rated it really liked it
Decent enough for a light read. If zombie "end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it" books can be considered light reading.

This built on the first book well enough. The narratives for continuity were kept brief and to a minimum.

This one switches point of view between the two main characters. It makes for some interesting differences in perceptions of the same situation.
Emma Williams
Aug 09, 2012 Emma Williams rated it it was amazing
This was a great follow up. Only problem not long Enough and the ending was kind of sudden and annoying. But this is a great series. Focusing more on the people than the gore - although there is a lot of that. Cannot wait for next one! Come on James get on with it! ;-)
Katherine
Aug 10, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it
Can't wait for the third one!!!
Mike
Sep 25, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing

This book is so AWESOME I high five myself after every chapter...slap!!...yup just finished another one!
Mike
Apr 27, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book and will definitely look for other titles by the author.
Tammy
Mar 01, 2017 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Read the first one later. I can't wait to read the rest. Great books.
Chad Beaudin
Jul 29, 2012 Chad Beaudin rated it liked it
Rosemary
May 17, 2013 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This Shattered Land took the Surviving the Dead series to another level altogether. The characters seemed to grow and the author obviously put a lot of thought into their growth and the direction the story would take.

Eric and Gabe are all set in the cabin Gabe had prepared for the long haul. They had pretty much everything they needed, including solar panels, hot water, guns and ammo. What they didn’t have, they foraged/scavenged for in the neighbouring towns.

But, as can be expected, it was not
Cheryl Landmark
Apr 26, 2013 Cheryl Landmark rated it liked it
This was an improvement over the first book. I found the character development to be better and the details about all the various weapons was not quite as overwhelming and annoying, although the author did still spend what I considered an inordinate amount of time describing them. You are a gun buff...we get it already! :)

The zombies didn't dominate quite as much in this second book. Oh, there were several encounters with them, of course, but the survivors are getting better at eliminating their
Barbara Chandler
Jun 28, 2015 Barbara Chandler rated it it was amazing
Very good read

Can't wait to see what's next! I think this is the best series of survival in a post-apocalyptic world I have ever read and I have read a lot over my years as an avid reader.mi don't just read about the apocalypse, I read what readers in general read, but I always come back to this genre.
The characters are fleshed out nicely, the action is paced nicely as well. There are moments where you have to suspend your beliefs a bit but that makes for a very good story, written or film.
This
michael alan cast
Feb 16, 2016 michael alan cast rated it it was amazing
Coming right along...

...you know how some Z books are all about run run, bang bang, and run some more? Well, I gotta hand it to Mr. Cook here, he is writing a heck of a story. The core characters really have some substance. Eric (I picture him as Bradley Cooper in my minds eye) and Gabriel, as the author pointed out (think Hugh Jackman, only bigger) Have survived the outbreak. They've traveled together, and every group of people they meet, the two leave a lasting impression. Battle hardened, the
Candice
Jan 23, 2014 Candice rated it liked it
It took me forever to finish this because it really began to drag at the end. At least three of the last several chapters could've been condensed or even omitted to move that plot along. it dragged this down from a solid 4 stars to 3.

That being said, this one's definitely an improvement. We're introduced to plenty of new characters, including a whole new town. (Which reminds me somewhat of the town in The Walking Dead minus the more... questionable of the Mayor's actions.)

There are chapters from
Jay
Mar 31, 2013 Jay rated it it was amazing
James N. Cook continues to impress me. His debut novel before this one was amazing and this one did just as well, if not better. I can't go too into the plot without giving spoilers away. One big difference is that the story is not only told from Eric's point of view, but also Gabe's. The story switches back and forth between the two. I've learned a lot about survival reading these books as well and added what I've learned into my BOB gear binder. There were minor grammar errors, but better than ...more
Elaine Mayes
I teetered between a three and four star rating on this book. I liked it - a lot, but I didn't REALLY like it. I'd give it a 3.5 star rating if I could. I missed the first book and got this one as a freebie, but I've purchased the next book (Warrior Within) in the series and that'll be the next book I read.

Although I could tell there was some history behind the major characters, I was able to read this as a stand-alone book and enjoy the tale. The characters are well-drawn for this genre; the s
Mary
May 27, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Drew
Apr 25, 2013 Drew rated it really liked it
“This shattered land” picks up a while after the first book “No Easy Hope” ends. The book stands alone so you don’t have to read the first one but it’s helpful if you do. The story and the writing are very good, but this book is much slower than the first. The zombies aren’t as present as they were in the first book although they’re around a lot, but I found the story to be very interesting. If you’re looking for a mile a minute zombie thriller this probably isn’t the book for you, but if you li ...more
Shannon Hooks
May 06, 2014 Shannon Hooks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
RJ
Oct 10, 2013 RJ rated it really liked it
This second book lowers my rating to 3.5 stars. It feels as though the author took a break and we're running in place waiting for the action to resume. The book revolves around a survivor family of three joining up with our hero pair, Eric and Gabe, accompanying them on their quest to Colorado. Umm...that's it basically. What's pretty funny is that here we are in the midst of the zombie apocalypse and our boy Eric still scores with the ladies in both towns he lays over in (pun intended). Way to ...more
Rune
Mar 12, 2014 Rune rated it liked it
Shelves: apocalyptic
First book caught enough of my interest, and combined with being home in bed with the flu, this was just light enough entertainment to work.

Storyline is still good, characters are still two-dimentional, even though they have some depth in them - pacing is good and the entertainment-value is in it self worth more than three stars. But still this is far from good literature. I'm comparing this with being the male equivalent of romance-novels.

Still - one of the better Zombie/end-of-the-world seri
Jessica Kong
Aug 11, 2015 Jessica Kong rated it it was amazing
Granted, This Shattered Land is only the second installment to James N. Cook's zombie series, but I have to say the story left me satisfied. It's okay to have adversities in a zombie book, but when only bad stuff happens and all the great characters die, it makes me lose faith and hope in both humanity and our individual chances at surviving some catastrophic event. So far, James has not snuffed out my flame of hope. I shall she what he has in store in book three.
Leighton
Nov 09, 2012 Leighton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Well James you did it again. Great book, gave it five stars probably 4.5 but the firs book was the same and I gave it four, the law of averages.

The story continues, new characters added and enough ever changing challenges to keep the pages turning.

I'll read the third!

As Yoda said "Always pass on what you have learned."

The two best Zombies series IMO:

White Flag for the Dead and James's.
Sharon Michael
Nov 16, 2013 Sharon Michael rated it really liked it
One of the better apocalyptic novels I've read recently and definitely the best with zombies, which normally are not my thing. Good characterization with interesting people, though definitely some stereotyping and although the storyline wrapped around the usual "quest" pattern, it worked for a good read.

Got this one as a free download but I expect to purchase additional books in series.
Michael Grafton
Apr 29, 2013 Michael Grafton rated it really liked it
Actually turned out to be a good read. It kept my interest throughout the book. I am actually interested in reading the other books in the series. The author made the book realistic. Definitely worth the time to read it. I got the book while it was free. But I wouldn't have a problem paying for these books. I am going to buy the first book now.
Mike Moondog
Oct 11, 2015 Mike Moondog rated it it was amazing
Booze, Bacon, Pasta and Fried Chicken!

This is a good tale and deserves *****
The characters are fantastical, brave, smart, skilled, informed, moralistic.
I want to go be with them and help too. Not that I'm like them or that I would live very long, but it would be fun to see how far I get before my dumb ars gets eaten, turned and shot.
And the food sounds delicious.

Tremont G
four 1/2 stars

I liked the the 1st book in this series, but I liked this more. The different points of view are what did it for me. Gabriel is the clincher! His character is the BEST!
Gene Sweeney
Apr 16, 2014 Gene Sweeney rated it liked it
Shattered land , book two was well written.

while reading this book I realize I should have read book one first. it is a combination of military, walking dead and hunger games. worth 're adding if you like this topic.
gene
  • The Gods' Games Volume 1 & 2 (The Gods' Games, #1)
  • Xperiment
  • Mischief: Episode Three (The Demon Gate, #3)
  • In the Blink of an Eye (Juxtapose City 2)
  • Back to the Dream  (Dreamlands, #2)
  • Cinnamon (Blood Nation, #3)
  • Together Bound (Sentries, #2)
  • Para Kindred: Enigmas of Wraeththu
  • Emperor's Consort (Chronicles of the Shifter Directive #5)
  • The Rising Horde: Volume One (The Gathering Dead, #2)
  • Shield Mate (Chronicles of Ylandre, #7)
  • Takedown (A New World, #7)
  • Mogadishu of the Dead (Arisen, #2)
  • Lying with Scorpions (Memory of Scorpions, #2)
James N. Cook (who prefers to be called Jim, even though his wife insists on calling him James) is a martial arts enthusiast, a veteran of the U.S. Navy, a former cubicle dweller, and the author of the Surviving the Dead series. He hikes, he goes camping, he travels a lot, and he has trouble staying in one spot for very long. Even though he is a grown man, he enjoys video games, graphic novels, an ...more
More about James N. Cook...

Surviving the Dead (7 books)
  • No Easy Hope (Surviving the Dead, #1)
  • Warrior Within (Surviving the Dead, #3)
  • Fire in Winter (Surviving the Dead, #4)
  • The Darkest Place (Surviving the Dead, #5)
  • Savages (Surviving the Dead, #6)
  • The Killing Line (Surviving the Dead, #7)

“Of course, I woke up. I always do, and like always, I was none too happy about it.” 0 likes
“It was as if the memories of the life I had once lived happened to someone else, a strange sort of psychological disconnect.” 0 likes