Start by marking “Strangeville Part 1” as Want to Read:
Strangeville Part 1

Strangeville Part 1 (Strangeville #1)

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Need a good laugh? Strangeville is a different kind of story that draws the reader in and keeps them wondering what will happen next. The story is a dark comedy about a suicidal young man named John Campbell who, after a failed suicide attempt, heads to Virginia to visit an aunt he hasn’t seen in ten years. But his rental car runs out of gas deep in the mountains. When he ...more
Published March 18th 2012 (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Strangeville Part 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangeville Part 1

Bèbè ✦ the Ryski  ✦
Overall Rating: 3.5 Stars

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

SUMMARY. John Campbell gave up on life. Losing his parents at early age he had to find a way to survive and every time he tried to live, it seemed like he never had good luck at anything. Even when he already decided to kill myself, he just had to go to the bathroom and stink up the whole place. But that same day he got a call from his aunt who wanted him to visit her and he decided to go. But of course with his luck the car ran out of gas and he had to walk until he g
Bandit
Jun 20, 2014 Bandit rated it liked it
Not quite sure what to make of this one. Great name, nice cover, auspicious start and then...Young man with strong suicidal tendencies drives south to visit family, gets lost and stuck in a...well, very strange place that's like a theme park of sorts, if themes were backwardness, ruralness and 1950s. So it ought to be horrifying and it is at first, but then it turns into a tale of camaraderie and second chances at love and it's a tad confusing...is this suppose to be spooky or one of those waxin ...more
Christine
Aug 11, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I got this first part of the book free on Amazon.com for the kindle.

I was pleasantly surprised with its beginning. The writing is interesting, different, and refreshing, and the story is definitely not what I was expecting.

I would recommend this title- and I will definitely continue reading the upcoming versions.
Robert Williamson
Jul 31, 2012 Robert Williamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a great story so far. I am loving it. The characters are great and I was either smiling or laughing when I was reading it.

Can't wait for the next part.
Maria Costantino
Feb 21, 2013 Maria Costantino rated it really liked it
This book went from making me think I was in the Twilight Zone to utterly delightfuly, and ended up with a heartwarming conclusion. John Campbell ends up in a town that still lives in the 1950's, with no way to find his way home, thanks to the mayor and his goons who won't let him leave and expose their town to the outside world. John manages to make his way, attaches himself to the town's quirky characters, and makes a difference in their lives in positive ways. A very entertaining book.
It A fr
Katie Sunsdahl
Feb 17, 2013 Katie Sunsdahl rated it did not like it
a very odd book. Got it free off the kindle list at bookbubs, and I see why it was free! The first few pages were funny, then it was just a very odd book. Thankfully a very quick read. Read it in a few hours.
Keith
Jan 12, 2016 Keith rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, novel
The sample of Strangeville was good enough to get it. The premise, a suicidal young man running off the road and finding himself in an off-the-map town that seems stuck at the turn of the 60's, had a Twilight Zone like possibility.

Why does a town that's hiding from the world have a "Welcome to Strangeville" sign? When he finds out that the mechanic is named Ratchet, even the protagonist wonders why the other characters have such pointedly odd names.

Three or four times I nearly abandoned the bo
Barbara Duckett
Sep 24, 2012 Barbara Duckett rated it really liked it
)interesting little story so far. Reminds you of how things used to be.
Pat
Nov 12, 2014 Pat rated it it was ok
This was an all right book but not one of my favorites. Just like the title states, strange. It did have a good moral to the story though, you have to make your own happiness and sometimes you find it in strange places.
Jamie
Mar 26, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it
Definitely a read full of comedy. It took me a bit to try and read the "slang" lines from different characters. Now I can't wait to read Part 2. (Note: there is also a 3rd part which I didn't know before reading)
Virgil Larson
Jun 06, 2016 Virgil Larson rated it it was ok
I'm embarrassed to say I read the whole thing. I hoped it would get better, but it didn't. This book is not quite up to the level of a practice novel.
Kelly Tarr
Dec 23, 2014 Kelly Tarr rated it liked it
A different book but I liked it!
Judy
Nov 11, 2014 Judy rated it did not like it
Don't need to read anymore of these.
Trisha
Aug 05, 2012 Trisha rated it liked it
This was a quick read- started and finished in the same day. It's about a man, John, who wants to commit suicide, yet instead finds himself lost in a town called Strangeville. It is a black comedy and starts off kind of quirky. To be honest, I actually enjoyed the story with his inner dialogue as much as when he arrives at Strangeville- maybe even more. It ends at kind of a strange place- I was expecting another chapter and instead it was the end of the book. Still deciding if I want to go on an ...more
Gene Rosso
Dec 21, 2014 Rohit Kilpadi rated it liked it
Dani
Nov 09, 2014 Dani rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
Rather 1.5 stars but 2 would be unfair to my other 2 star ratings.
Terri
Dec 10, 2012 Terri rated it liked it
The book was pretty good..until it ended! Leaving me hanging for part 2. I didn't know...so I was quite disappointed. Since I didn't have it available to read, and will undoubtedly read many in between, the total affect may be lot. For that reason, I was quite disappointed.
Meredith
Dec 06, 2012 Meredith rated it it was ok
It was strange, that's for sure. I think I need to read part 2 of this story to give this a proper rating. A man runs out of gas on his way to visit family and stumbles into Strangeville--a town with a very questionable mayor and absolutely no contact with the outside world.
Chelsea
Oct 21, 2013 Chelsea rated it liked it
Ok so I some how managed to find this book on the free books section. It was an interesting book that kept me entertained. I ended up finishing it in one day, so it was a nice easy book to read! Read it, it's not what you expect!
Lesley
Mar 02, 2013 Lesley rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I laughed out loud the first chapter was a funny failed suicide attempt. Then everything goes down hill and he walks into strangeville. It so reminded me of an episode of twilight zone! There are 3 parts so to be continued...
Deb
Feb 23, 2013 Deb rated it it was ok
A strange story indeed. I hadn't realized it was part 1 of a series. I wasn't especially impressed with Part 1, but I guess I'll consider reading further to see if it improves. Maybe.
Elizabeth
Easy reading - interesting setting. Wondering how, or if, the main character will leave this town stuck in the past. So now have started reading Part 2!
Pablo
Feb 28, 2013 Pablo rated it really liked it
Smiled the whole way through the book. Just a light hearted easy read.

"It's up to you to make your own happiness"
Lorie
Feb 21, 2013 Lorie rated it really liked it
This was a fun book. Author almost lost me with a twist at the end that was a little corny. But over all a good tead
Mioshee
Sep 09, 2012 Mioshee rated it really liked it
Quirky story but an enjoyable read. Reminded me of the Dean Koonz short story Black River
Barbara Zenger
Feb 25, 2013 Barbara Zenger rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Barbara by: Amazon
Very strange book, but I loved it. It was so easy to become attached to the characters.
Amy
Aug 04, 2012 Amy rated it liked it

Freebie on Amazon ... But interesting enough to now go look for part 2
Kelly
Mar 07, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
this book had my laughing and all around in a good mood. I loved it.
  • Never Back Down
  • The End of the World
  • The Groom Wanted Seconds
  • Dead Men Are Easy to Love
  • A Dignified Exit
  • Dark Lullaby (Harbinger Mystery, #1.4)
  • Dragon Soul
  • In Deep Shitake (Shitake Mystery, #1)
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • Crossroads Road
  • Cupid's Cupcake
  • Rowena Through the Wall (Land's End, #1)
  • Desolation: Stories
  • Ros
  • The Ghost in Me
  • Get A Life! 8 Steps to Create Your Own Life List
  • Witch Weigh
  • An Unexpected Date (Treasured Dreams, #1)
2009613
Author of the local bestseller The Girl in the Italian Bakery. Now available on Kindle and Nook.
More about Kenneth Tingle...

Strangeville (3 books)