Start by marking “The Marmalade Files (Harry Dunkley, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Marmalade Files (Harry Dunkley, #1)

The Marmalade Files (Harry Dunkley #1)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When seasoned newshound Harry Dunkley is slipped a compromising photograph one frosty Canberra dawn he knows he's onto something big. In pursuit of the scoop, Dunkley must negotiate the deadly corridors of power where the minority Toohey Government hangs by a thread – its stricken Foreign Minister on life support, her heart maintained by a single thought. Revenge.

Rabid Rot
Published August 1st 2012 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Marmalade Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marmalade Files

Latika Bourke
Since the election of Kevin Rudd it’s often refrained about national politics that ‘you couldn’t make this shit up;’ but it turns out you can as Chris Uhlmann and Steve Lewis demonstrate with their laugh-out-loud novel The Marmalade Files.
Part thriller but mostly satire, Marmalade Files is a deliciously fun look at Australian politics and the characters of Canberra.
Marmalade’s protagonists are easily identifiable caricatures of current political figures. The dumped-Prime-Minister-now-Foreign-M
Sunnie
Marmalade Files is a jolly crime romp through Canberra. The Labor Government is teetering on the brink of disaster with the slimmest of margins when their much loathed Foreign Minister collapses face down during a Lateline interview. She's been poisoned which creates even more nightmares for the PM. The Liberals aren't faring much better. What should be a slam dunk for the upcoming Federal election has turned into a close race with two very strong willed women locked in battle for the Liberal pa ...more
Jillwilson
The real Marmalade Files" are not an ASIS "dirt file", but “merely a collection of humorous, often risqué and sometimes downright bizarre communications kept by our early diplomats for no reason other than their amusement value.” (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-16...) This article, ‘The Marmalade Files: DFAT's cabinet of curiosities’ is worth a read for some of the bizarre examples of what is kept in the files.

Here’s an example: “An account by our man in Manila, KCO "Mick" Shann, about a lun
Harinder
I loved this book. If you live in Canberra and are an "inside the beltway" person like me, and work the odd 80-hour week, it's the perfect book. I chuckled and giggled all the way through it. It is so irreverent I can't believe that it ever got through the defamation lawyers. The story is a light political thriller set in Canberra in 2011, among a government which scarily resembles the current one. I particularly loved the jabs at the Greens and at the lobby group GetSet! And of course the entir ...more
Karen
One of the biggest problems with the blanding out of Australian Federal politics and society is that Political Satire seems to have disappeared around the back, probably mugged by some idiot with a bias obsession. Well that is until THE MARMALADE FILES where I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to finally find something to laugh about coming out of Canberra. In an amused way, not that panicked titter that escapes when you realise that the idiot on the telly who just said what they said m ...more
Kirsten
Definitely a fun read for those who have followed Australian politics over the last few years. So much fact mixed with fiction, it was a treat guessing who the characters were all based on. In my head we ended up with a meeting of the minds quasi romance between MT and JG! The authors, political journalists themselves had such scope to take the mickey out of, and often sympathise with some of the major players in politics at the time. It was also nice to see Canberra featured, but at the end of ...more
Mark
I enjoyed this book. Not too demanding, fun, engaging and very wry. It would especially appeal to anyone who's lived in Canberra for its copious references to local quirks and nuances. The book covers the story of Harry Dunkley, a journalist for The Australian, who exposes political manipulation and scandal, with significant parallels to reality. The style of writing and story reminded me a little of the Murray Whelan stories by Shane Maloney. I was pleased that the ending was left open for mor ...more
Garret
Mad, bonkers and brilliant. Loved it.
Ruth Bonetti
Given the parlous state of Australian federal politics, this was light therapy to read a spoof from two insider journos. Or is it? I won't spoil the twist at the end but it is satisfying yet tantalising - do these guys know more than is allowed out into the public domain? An easy read, witty and at last a chance to laugh at our messy, bitchy political situation.
Newtown Review of Books
In a political world that contains all the strange twists of, say, the James Ashby/Peter Slipper case, or the Malcolm Turnbull/Godwin Grech imbroglio, how could fiction possibly top reality? Isn’t politics weird enough without making it even more so?

Read full review here: http://newtownreviewofbooks.com/2012/...
Kathryn
I loved this one and hope that Lewis and Uhllman have a sequel on the way. I so want to find out what Kevin - I mean Baily is up to. If you follow Australian politics as a spectator sport then this book is for you. I enjoyed trying to match real-world characters with the players in this story. Lots of laughs, cheeky boys.
Anne Hosking
Fascinating roller coaster of intrigue and corruption .
Ed
A good fun, light read. The two writers have clearly seen and heard it all in Canberra and seem to have enjoyed using fiction as a medium to get a few things off their chests.
Kirsten Boud

A light hearted political romp that could have been more. Disappointed at how the authors wrapped it up so quickly and neatly, but overall, a good read.
Ruth
I absolutely loved this book, it's fun, witty and clever. If you have ever lived and worked in Canberra, then this book is for you!
Colleen Nielsen
Chris Uhllman and Steve Lewis have the makings of being very good STORY tellers - ah.....the goings on of our politicians!
Lynn Pittard
Entertaining political romp with undertones from reality ...
Chee Chee
One for the fed politics/press gallery tragics.
Richard
Easy read for political tragics.
Chantelle
Funny. Very funny.
Pamela Gilbert
Pamela Gilbert marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Elizabeth Neilsen
Elizabeth Neilsen marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Gavan
Gavan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Steve Lewis has been reporting politics in Canberra since 1992 and has survived the near collapse of the Fairfax media group, three Prime Ministers, Mark Latham and a career switch from The Financial Review to the News Ltd tabloids.
More about Steve Lewis...
The Mandarin Code (Harry Dunkley, #2)