The Red Knight

The Red Knight

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A thousand years have passed since the Clan Lords and the Fey commanded dragons and raised mighty citadels. The remnants of their ancient power lie dormant and a new conflict threatens the kingdom of Antia…

King Daris rules a peaceful and prosperous land, but his conniving brother Jerim covets the throne and civil war looms.

But there are worse threats to Antia than mere hum...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Digital, 458 pages
Published July 29th 2012 by Anachron Press, Smashwords (first published July 26th 2012)

Jason
4 Stars

This is a tough book for me to review as overall, I had a difficult keeping my interest and focus on the story. This book is very reminiscent of a George RR Martin novel in that it is a book that contains a large cast that is entwined in political strife. The book plays out like a big drama where dialogue moves the story forward more than action or place.

This book does a couple of things extremely well. First, for a premier novel by KT Davies, this book does not suffer from Freshman blue...more
Liviu
This is a book that came out of nowhere - basically I got interested as it has the same title with the huge Miles Cameron debut as it was pointed to me here on Goodreads - so I checked the sample and it was compelling, so much so that I had to read the novel next.

In describing this book, I would say that the narrative pull is extremely high, the main characters impressive in so far they are larger than life heroic and competent but brought down (though of course not for long) by schemers, meddle...more
Tony
After reading some excellent short stories by this author I just had to sweet talk the publisher in to giving me an advance copy of this book when I heard that it was out soon. Luckily for me those goblins over at Anachron Press felt sorry for me and sent me an electronic copy.

This is an epic fantasy story that isn’t quite like your usual epic fantasy. There are no fluffy elves, no poetry and certainly no faffing around. There is some fruity language that somehow manages to help convey the horro...more
Ole Imsen
This is one of those Epic Fantasy novels that show how far Epic Fantasy has come since the birth of its modern incarnation in 1977*. There is of course elements that you will recognise from the Fantasy novels of the 1980s, it wouldn't really be Epic Fantasy if there weren't, but this is a novel that shows how Epic Fantasy has "grown up" in the last 36 years.

I was quickly dragged into the story by Davies's writing, and after the first chapter I was already invested in the story, and the charact...more
Jared Tan
4.5 Stars. Epic fantasy which is classic medieval, magic but with a little romance element.
Many characters and elements in the book could be explored in the sequel, if there is.

I read the book not knowing that it was written by a female author, but some parts of the book, it gave a good hint.

Funny that I got the wrong ebook, which initially I wanted to read the one by Miles Cameron.
A good surprise though.

(view spoiler)...more
Carlos Llamacho
Kris
This book was overlong, and a bit muddled. It's obviously the start of a series, but I can't say I want to read more. I was left feeling as though nothing much had happened.

What I enjoyed: the dialogue was great, full of humour. It wasn't badly written, either. KT Davies knows how to craft a good turn of phrase. And women have a prominent place in the narrative as people who drive the story. This is a welcome change. In the last couple of epic-fantasy novels I remember reading, the only women ch...more
Paul
Earlier this year I read the anthology Day of Demons, published by Anachron Press, and one of the highlights was The Deal by K T Davies. It was a fun fantasy tale and it left me keen to read more of the author’s work. The good news is that recently I got the chance.

When I read fantasy I expect more than my fair share of battles, magic, and if there is a bit of betrayal and the occasional traitor as well, that’s all good. The Red Knight offers that and more. We get all the fantasy standards, but...more
Victoria Hooper

Firstly, this book should be mandatory reading for people who want to write gritty fantasy set in pseudo-Middle-Ages settings. Why? Because it manages to avoid every annoying cliché associated with this kind of story, while still having an exciting plot and a perfectly realistic world. Secondly, this book will serve as satisfying ammo against all those people who believe a fantasy story with a historically-influenced society can’t have interesting female characters. No need for those annoying ci...more
Celyn
K.T. Davies' debut is gritty, funny and very readable. It kept me gripped to the very end.

The story starts at the "low fantasy" end of the spectrum, seeming to be a quasi-historical fantasy with a military slant, focused mainly on the threat of war in one kingdom and the efforts of the knights - and the spies - who must protect it. More fantastic elements are gradually introduced, notably the shape-shifters. There is even a dragon - or should that be "dragon"?

The main characters are Alyda Stenna...more
Duchess
This book is probably most enjoyed for the main fact that IT'S A FANTASY THAT DOESN'T HATE WOMEN!!! No reinforced gender roles, no shaming, but a plethora of strong-willed women that drive the plot. For this reason, I've been willing to forgive the book some of its flaws.

Primarily, the book is a bit basic in the world-building. This is compensated by the amazing cast of characters that you really get to love throughout the story. However, the lack of detail and description to flush out the plot...more
Neil O'Sullivan
Excellent read - Nicely tough edged. Can't believe it's her first novel. Very confident. Well characterized. Nice unflinching ending.
Pau
I have to say I bought this not expecting much and I really enjoyed it. If you like the likes of Robin Hobb or David Gemmel and looking for something new and fresh you should give this a chance.

Strong points: Characterization, plot,fight scenes, romance.

Decent points: Writing style, magic system.

Weak points: Worldbuilding.

All in all, and for being a debut title, I'd give it 4,5 stars.

I'm eagerly awaiting the second installment!
Mihir

I'm late in adding my thoughts about this book. While this book had a nice role-reversal with certain roles. The best part about it was the characterization. The world-building is the one factor that I would say the author can improve upon as many things are alluded to but never wholly explained.

All in all a charming fantasy debut that you must give a try if you are currently bored with most fantasy nowadays.
Christian
Had I not just read another amazing fantasy series debut, I would have given this five stars. It serves up the usual in such an entertaining and new way that I'm going to have a hard time waiting for the sequel to come out.
One more thing: it's got such strong male characters!
Simon Holland
Best fantasy I've read this year, totally unexpected as I had no expectations.

Go read it...
Kevin Fung
Kevin Fung marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Aknight
Aknight marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Taha Shabbir
Taha Shabbir marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Otavio
Otavio is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2014
Lia Marcoux
Lia Marcoux marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Mary Grady
Mary Grady marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Audrey Terry
Audrey Terry marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sequels and suchlike 1 2 Mar 10, 2014 03:42AM
I was born in West Yorkshire. I have a degree in literature from the Open University, and a modest comic collection. I share my life with an understanding partner, two savage children, three silly dogs, and an angry cat. I’ve lived in t’north and the Republic of China. I currently reside in suburban bliss in the West Midlands.

I’ve worked as an actor, a teacher, and a scaffolder amongst many other...more
More about K.T. Davies...
Day of Demons Worms