Start by marking “Crooked Fang” as Want to Read:
Crooked Fang

Crooked Fang (Crooked Fang #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Sometimes a vampire's past can bite him in the ass.

Xan Marcelles--bassist for Crooked Fang, vampire and full-time asshole, is content with his quiet existence in the backwoods of Pinecliffe, Colorado. But life at the Pale Rider tavern is set to become a little more complicated when he gets entangled with a feisty, blue-haired damsel and her abusive soon-to-be ex boyfriend.
Published August 20th 2012 by Lyrical Press, Inc. (first published July 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Crooked Fang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crooked Fang

Amy
A fantastic vampire read if you're wanting to step away from the gushy romance novels.

Xan's a crude, brooding, young vampire who's a big softy under it all. There was a wide array of complex characters, and great attention to details from Clevenger. The whole novel all I could smell was cigarettes and hard liquor, quite displeasing, but I enjoyed the immersion.

This book does a lot of things right with what is an over saturated market for vampire novels. It stays refreshing in personality and set
Melissa Ecker
ARC Review

Crooked Fang is one of the best of books I've read in a long while. I know what you're thinking, not another vampire story. No, this is not just another vampire story. Carrie Clevenger has weaved a unique and intriguing page turner where the reader is relentlessly pulled into the world of Xan Marcelles, the vampire bass player who lives in a bar and just wants to enjoy his mostly peaceful existence with a bottle of whiskey on the side. However, that is not to be. We follow Xan as he mo
Zoe
Crooked Fang has been on my list of books to pick up for a while, but I was reluctant to read it because I know the author, Carrie Clevenger, on Twitter, and we've talked for a few years now. At one point, while I was live-tweeting a book I hated, she'd even joked, "Don't read any of my books, please." But I've got a thing for vampires, and so eventually, I knew I'd have to read this. I just had to hope it didn't suck.

Thankfully, it did not. In fact, it's one of the better vampire books I've rea
Dorothy Shaw
What can I say about Xan Marcelles?

I'll start here: Xan Marcelles

He's half Native American, Indian and half Italian. *pitter patter goes my heart*
He's a bass guitar player for Pale Rider's house cover band, Crooked Fang. (He created the band.)
He lives in one of the rooms above Pale Rider.
He drinks - a lot. And whiskey would be his choice.
He smokes cigarettes.
He's got hair down to his ass.
He's a tall, tall man - 6'5" to be exact.
He's grumpy and moody and sweet as pie.
He stays up all night and s
Janette
I'd been anticipating this release for quite a while, and I wasn't disappointed. Anyone who knows me knows I like a good vamp book, emphasis on the good. I'm not much for the cheesy, stereotypical vamp novels, but I like one that will take a vampire and give him some depth. Carrie Clevenger definitely delivered on that front.

Xan Marcelles is one interesting guy - vampire bassist of the band Crooked Fang. My mind immediately wanted to put him in that "rocker" category, which BTW is a category I
Sheila
Sep 01, 2014 Sheila rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheila by: Authors After Dark 2014
Xan is the bassist for the rock group Crooked Fang. He is also a vampire. Someone is killing vampires. His past is also starting to catch up to him. What is going on?

I liked Xan. This story is definitely his story. There are secondary characters who share his life and space but they help only to move the story along. The world building is good. I knew Xan had a past and I learn of it as I read the story. Everything is given on a need-to-know basis.

I want to know what Xan's past is. What part doe
Barb Briggs
Rock and Roll vampire smut. Maybe because True Blood premiered this week, or perhaps even more because this book is due back at the library soon, I picked up Crooked Fang looking for an interesting adult read. Well, interesting is one word I guess you can use to describe it. This story jumped around more than a kid playing hopscotch.

I do have to admit I enjoyed Xan as a character. Yeah, he is an ass, but he is a true vampire, not one of these insta-love, sparkly kind. In fact, Xan is the primar
Icy Sedgwick
Oh yay, another vampire, I hear you cry. Stop right there. Forget for a moment that Twilight ever existed, and give Crooked Fang a go. Why? Because sometimes you can almost forget that CF's hero, Xan Marcelles, is even a vampire. I prefer to think of him as a grumpy, whisky-drinking, chain-smoking bassist who's going to live for a really, really long time.

Basically, Xan lives in a bar named Pale Rider in Pinecliffe, Colorado. He does odd jobs and plays bass in his band, Crooked Fang. It's pretty
Amy Burgess
Xan Marcelles just wants to play bass in his house cover band, Crooked Fang. But no one will let him. No, he does not want to play bigger venues and get famous. He does not want to have a steady girlfriend. He does not want to go back to his hometown and track down his high school sweetheart's murderer. So, okay, he sucessfully avoids two out of three of these problems, but that third one is a killer. Literally.

I loved Xan. He tries so hard to be disaffected and cold,like a proper vampire, but b
Dorothy Shaw
What can I say about Xan Marcelles?

I'll start here: Xan Marcelles

He lives in one of the rooms above Pale Rider.
He drinks - a lot. And whiskey would be his choice.
He smokes cigarettes.
He's got hair down to his ass.
He's a tall, tall man - 6'5" to be exact.
He's grumpy and moody and sweet as pie.
He stays up all night and s
Dylan
Xan Marcelles is the bass player for the rock band Crooked Fang, a group that plays at the Pale Rider tavern, blasting out a set that is comprised entirely of covers. Apparently, Xan Marcelles is an asshole. He’s also a vampire. He gets attacked one night by some guy named Freddie and Xan kills him, thus setting off a series of events that will take him back to his hometown in New Mexico—the place he grew up before becoming one of the undead—in search of the reason why one of his old friends has ...more
Cathy Olliffe-Webster
I’ve always had a thing for Carrie Clevenger’s writing, not gonna lie, so I was a little prejudiced going into the reading of Crooked Fang, her new novel about a sexy, bass-playing vampire. I knew it was going to be well-written. I knew it was going to be tight and smart and edgy, just like her short stories that have been dazzling me since I got on board with the Friday Flash crew a couple years back. I knew I was going to like it.

I just didn’t know how much.

There were a few scenes in Crooked
Susan A.
Xan ... what can I say? He isn't your typical vampire ... though he may be a typical man. He still doesn't buy flowers, forgets to call, doesn't bother answering your calls ... but none of that keeps him below the radar. His looks and his skill on bass keep the fans coming back and the ladies' eyes locked ...

Now if only he could avoid trouble the way he avoids his past ...

Update: 8/31/13: Dived into Xan's world again today and was once again floored by the skill of Carrie Clevengerto spin words
Shannon MacLeod
*swoons with joy*

I’ve waited a long time for this book. Been creeping the blog and falling head over heels for this tormented, complex character with a sarcastic wit faster than a speeding guitar riff. Clevenger has hit one out of the proverbial park with Crooked Fang, the story of Xan Marcelles “bassist for Crooked Fang, vampire and full time asshole.” I was hooked on the first page – Clevenger’s style of writing is so evocative, I had no problems visualizing everything from the sweeping overhe
Tiffany
Xan is a man who has been around for quite some time but his life is getting messy. Like humans vampires don't like change much. Xan uses his band as a cover to mingle with humans and be a part of the world that has no idea his kind even exists. Until his past and present come together in a violent mix. Death surrounds Xan now at almost every turn.
Xan goes back to the life he once knew as human to try and help out a friend who has lost her sister. When Xan goes home to uncover what happened to h
Lise *friends don't flag*
I really enjoyed the writing style of Carrie Clevenger, so glad I stumbled upon this book.

Xan has only been a vampire for 25 years and although he is undead and can be a killer, he still has some of the sweetest human characteristics. His relationship with the other band members, his sort of girlfriend, people from his past including his best friend, Scott were so real and actually touching. I felt like Xan was my cool and hot-looking buddy with a little secret and I was ready to help him solv
Synde
Xan Marcelles IS your everyday kind of guy, if being a bassist in a cover band and living in a tavern are everyday circumstances.. Oh wait,did I forget to mention he's also a vampire?
Trouble follows Xan everywhere, this time however he can't ignore it. He has to jump in head first, sometimes literally!

I really enjoyed this book, it has everything. Humor, grit,sex, action, and music...oh and maybe even a few vampires and fast cars! Xan is a completely lovable character, even when he's doing his b
Nicole Hadaway
Clevenger's voice sucked me in from the start and I held on for one hell of a ride. Her vampire, Xan, is a fresh take on the genre, away from the Twilight teens. He's brooding, sulking, but you like him all the same. He's got a good heart, although he doesn't always make the best choices. It's interesting to see him interact with his friend -- both men are the same age, technically, but Xan's face hasn't aged.

The storyline is a great adventure, a mix of mundane girl problems as well as life-alte
Tiki
This is Urban Fantasy, but a nice change of pace from the usual UF that is chocked full of supernaturals, with super powers and super action. Just what I was looking for after reading a few of the usual variety.

It's a vampire story with very few vampires. Different & low key...cause that's the way Xan Marcelles wants it. He wants to 'live' peacefully away from others of his kind for various reasons we're privy to as the story unfolds. He just wants to drink his whiskey, have his smokes &
Jackie Uhrmacher
Xan Marcelles is your typical small-time bassist: he can drink his weight in whiskey, smokes a pack a day on a slow day, and uses his giant height and long, dark hair to get the ladies right where he wants them. He won’t buy you roses, and he can’t afford a fancy dinner, but he’ll respect you for as long (or little) as you’re together. The only difference between Xan and your average local band member is that Xan is dead. Well, undead. He’s a vampire, though you’d never be able to tell if it wer ...more
Will Knight
Originally posted at Bibliophilia, Please.

Hi there. Long time no see! Been real busy with traveling to the US, meeting my in-laws, moving with my fiancée from the US back to Chile, you know... relaxing stuff. Oh yeah, getting married in December. *grin*

Anywho. That’s why I’ve been away. Barely any time left for reading anything! I have made time to play Skyrim, cause... DRAGONS!! *nerdgasm* But now I’m back, and my first post back is for a long overdue review of Crooked Fang.

I must admit that va
Suz
ARC Review originally posted at http://paperbackdolls.com/?p=12388

Xan Marcelles is not your average vampire. Well, that’s not exactly right. Perhaps the primary thing that makes Xan Marcelles different from most of the vampires you are likely to read about in contemporary paranormal romance or urban fantasy is that Xan is so “normal” it’s kind of unnatural. He’s a gritty, heady mix of biker/ musician hottie next door and badass vampire trying very hard to just stay off everyone’s radar. There wi
Jeannie Zelos
Crooked Fang Carrie Clevenger.

I was given this copy by publisher free for review, but as always on the basis that my opinion is honestly held, and whether paid for or free my views are not influenced by that. Integrity is important to me and gushing false reviews do neither author or reader any favours. As always my views are what I honestly feel about this book.

Xan Marcelles has formed a band called Crooked Fang, for which he is bassist. He's a vampire so the nights spent playing provide him
Wulfie

Xan Marcelles, big guy, not hard on the eyes, breath tinged with whiskey and cigarettes, in love with his bass which he's named Sasha. He's grumpy, funny, a smart ass, a bit of an idiot when it comes to women, and a vampire who hasn't lost touch with his humanity despite a secret past that could have wiped the soul right out of any self-respecting blood-sucker.

Carrie Clevenger channels Xan perfectly, making this a character driven story that sucks (heh) the reader into Xan's mind and heart. The
Tiffany
Xan is a man who has been around for quite some time but his life is getting messy. Like humans vampires don’t like change much. Xan uses his band as a cover to mingle with humans and be a part of the world that has no idea his kind even exists. Until his past and present come together in a violent mix. Death surrounds Xan now at almost every turn.
Miika
Fair disclosure: I got a copy of Crooked Fang from the author, who for some obscure reason seemed to like my art of Xan (and her :P)

What can one say about Xan Marcelles that hasn't been said by others so far? If you ask the characters surrounding him in the novel, they'll probably tell you pretty much every epithet and curse word you can think of has already been used :)

This is one of those books I want to dangle in front of NaNoWriMo participants and say "See? This is the craft of writing". It'
Ernie
Sure, he's a cutie. He plays bass, has a way with the ladies, a permanent smirk, and knows how to wear a pair of jeans. But, Xan Marcelles is also a vampire. And underneath it all, a really nice guy. (Shhh, don't tell.) I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy of Crooked Fang from Carrie Clevenger and wow, y'all - what a ride! In the first few pages of Crooked Fang, this story pulls you in close and won't let go. Once I started, I really couldn't put it down. (That includes walking into a ...more
Sonya Clark
Xan Marcelles is not your usual vampire, and what a relief that is. Instead of incredibly rich and broody as a teenager, he's a working-class musician who plays bass in his cover band, Crooked Fang. The quiet life he's carved for himself in rural Colorado starts to get ever more complicated in a series of events that builds slow and effective tension like a tight, relentless bass line. A rough around the edges charmer, Xan makes for a great character to root for. The ending leaves you wanting mo ...more
Nerine Dorman
Granted that I am the editor for this novel, I have to state that I justify my rating by saying that this novel has got to be one of THE dreams come true for an editor to find. Xan is a deliciously complex character who's not squeaky clean. It's his very *humanity* that makes him a wonderful protagonist as he tries his best to do what he considers to be the right thing. His voice is authentic, especially in a veritable cornucopia of vampire fiction that is available. Clevenger's voice is fresh a ...more
Eric Krause
I enjoyed this book. I liked that Xan, the main character, in addition to being a vampire, is a bassist in a heavy metal band. I enjoyed the reference to some songs that I know and enjoy. That was fun. I like the vampire mythos in this; it shares much of the established "traditional" vampire rules, but there are some others that make the vampires in this book unique. Xan is quite an interesting character, and he has a past that I'd like to see more of in future stories. This is definitely a book ...more
Lyrical Press Books: Crooked Fang by Carrie Clevenger 9 19 Aug 23, 2012 05:10AM
  • Inkarna
  • The Time of Feasting
  • Rot
  • Suicide Girls in the Afterlife
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Darkest Knight (Knight's Curse #2)
  • The Devil's Mixtape
  • Dominion (Dominion, #1)
  • Wraith's Awakening (Para-Ops, #0.5)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • [technically] DEAD (DEAD[ish], #2)
  • Burned (Void City, #4)
  • The Demon Mistress (Eva Prim, #1)
  • Save My Soul (Preternaturals, #2)
  • Bring on the Night (WVMP Radio, #3)
  • Gods and Monsters: Unclean Spirits
  • Tempest Reborn (Jane True, #6)
  • In Sea-Salt Tears (October Daye, #5.1)
3520560
Carrie Clevenger enjoys documentaries, non-fiction, Blue Moon, music, and coffee. Sometimes she writes poetry and short stories that have bad endings. She's the elusive sort and has a horrid fear of meeting people, but socialization isn't exactly how good books are written. Carrie is the author of the Crooked Fang series and has many more awful things planned.

More about Carrie Clevenger...
Blood and Fire Just My Blood Type Traitors Chances Are: A Roman Dalton Yarn Dark Harvest

“Call it fate--call it talent. I had a knack for getting in the nastiest messes.” 1 likes
“Scott smirked. "You know it's always worse when you're around. And I still think I can keep up with you. Of course, you're going to drive off, go back home, drink a fifth and play guitar all night and not feel a thing. On the other hand, I'll be up thirteen times to take a piss before five AM, have a hella case of acid reflux and sore fingers from shredding guitar strings.” 1 likes