Start by marking “Your Mark on the World: Stories of service that show us how to give more with a purpose without giving up what's most important.” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Your Mark On The World combines inspiring stories of ordinary people doing remarkable things to make the world a better place with practical advice to empower anyone to give more to a cause (charity, non-profit or social venture) without giving up a career or family.

The inspiring stories include:

Botevy's life and death struggle through Pol Pot's killing fields that led her
Published July 20th 2012 by Createspace (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Your Mark on the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Mark on the World

John
Jul 25, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is somewhat unusual in its presentation. It is not a book designed to make you feel guilty for not joining in every good cause in the world, and it is not a book that sets out to sell you on its plan for you to achieve all your financial dreams. It is a book that combines a strong argument for finding a cause you like (where you can make a difference in the lives of others), with some basic counsel on how to get your personal financial life in order so that you might maximize the amoun ...more
Ruth Hill
Nov 01, 2012 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
This is a book that appears to be short, but it can be life-changing if used appropriately. Have you ever wanted to get involved in changing the world for the better but did not know where to begin? This is the book for you! Devin Thorpe has organized this book in such a succinct fashion that you are sure to find the information for which you seek.

The author covers everything. He gives you real information about charities that really change people's lives all over the world. He gives you address
Gina's Library
Oct 02, 2012 Gina's Library rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I read this book for Promotional Book Tours.

This book is about leaving your mark on the world, doing something for others. What would you like to be remembered for when you pass on? What inspires you, what cause drives you?
Most people say they would love to give back if they could. Some have valid reasons why they can't, and others just don't even know where to start.

This book is very unique in the way it's written and portrayed. This is not a book that preaches to give back and makes you feel b
Theresa
Oct 22, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing
If you have ever thought there was someway you could serve in your community or beyond, this book will tell you just how to do it.

As we start to see the ways in which our lives are blessed by abundance, there are many ways we can give back. I have been seeing this trend in my own community. This is the first book I have come across that has been supportive and informational without preaching about obligation or making the reader feel guilty about not doing enough. As the author says, every litt
Rae Ryans
Oct 16, 2012 Rae Ryans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book filled with inspiring stories as well as tips on how everyone can make their own mark on the world without worrying about debt. Speaking of debt, the book also offers valuable advice on how to overcome financial pitfalls as well as saving for the future. After all it can be difficult to give when you can barely make ends meet.

But it goes farther than money. Volunteerism is also a wonderful way to give back to the cause of your choosing, and the stories shared revolve aro
Simone
Oct 15, 2012 Simone rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review. This is a truly unique book. It doesn’t preach about religion or anything like that. Basically, it encourages you to find an interest you’re passionate about. What would you like to be remembered for when you pass away? This is something I have struggled with for years, I have a strong desire to make my life matter in some way. I feel so fortunate to have gotten the chance to review this book, because I now know how to make that h ...more
Lisa Rayns
Oct 07, 2012 Lisa Rayns rated it it was amazing
This book is actually about finding a passion in life and reminds us there is more to life than the day to day. It tells us how to make a real difference with our time, money, and our hearts. The author not only assures us that we make a difference, but he tells us how to choose our passions and focus them to make a maximum impact on our chosen cause. He shows us how to organize our lives to make great things happen. The author shares some amazing anecdotes of people who have helped and been hel ...more
Devin Thorpe
Aug 10, 2012 Devin Thorpe added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Writing this book was a genuine pleasure; I got the opportunity to meet some of the most extraordinary people you'd ever want to know.

Working on this project was an inspiring opportunity to learn more about what is possible; it is possible for us to do more, to give more and to become more by doing so.

Athena Nagel
Nov 08, 2012 Athena Nagel rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Your Mark On The World is a book filled with emotional short stories about how specific individuals have been able to make a difference in the world in small and large ways. These people are living their lives in a way to truly make the lives of others – better – in some way. How did they find their passions? Generally, their lives led them there through their own circumstances and the determination to make the world a better place.

Some of the stories involve dedicating their full, entire lives
Ely
Oct 14, 2012 Ely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Your Mark on the World is a very informative financial read. The stories involved are very touching and heart-warming, reading how an individual or a group makes a difference in the world is very awe-spiring. This book deals greatly on how you can save and balance money and how to contribute to a cause effectively. Although the book is a great source of information on not-for-profit organizations, ideas, and money savings plan, I found myself irritated at how heavy the book stresses the importan ...more
Claire
Nov 26, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I got this free as part of the Firstreads giveaways. Overall, it was a look at how to reassess your finances currently and your goals for the future within the landscape of charitable contribution. Some of the suggestions are less feasible for younger and/or single readers, but a good reference to go back to for easy to understand ideas as life events occur. The short narratives of different people's various chosen organizations got a little tiring toward the end because they never felt really f ...more
Andrea
Feb 15, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This is a book that was written with the LDS family in mind. However, anyone can learn from the stories and advice contained within its pages. Each chapter focuses on a way that you can work to improve your own life and circumstances, to help you to be better able to serve as a volunteer. Volunteer work and missions are a fundamental part of the Mormon faith, yet anyone can easily set aside time to do this.

As I was reading the advice, I had moments of "Duh," because I felt like I knew a lot of
Paul
Sep 13, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
Masterpiece. Devin Thorpe has written a one-of-a-kind book about service to causes. He skillfully interweaves true stories with practical and financial advice on giving. Two of my personal favorites were "Optimism from Despair" (Cystic Fibrosis) and "Rabbi with HEART" (Troubled Teens). This book is about ordinary people doing extraordinary feats. "Your Mark on the World" gets my highest level of recommendation.
Eve
Sep 19, 2012 Eve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free via a First Reads giveaway.

This book is very inspiring. The individual stories presented are extremely impressive, and make me want to do even more for the charities with which I am involved,
Andrew
Dec 18, 2015 Andrew rated it it was ok
Shelves: current-issues
Unless/until I make a better income, I am not in the audience for this book. I'm torn between feeling encouraged to do my best to make the world in some way, and discouraged that the writer's thesis seems based on the notion that you (I) don't really matter unless you can give money and time to a cause. This isn't a very deep well of encouragement from which to start. For those in a different, special group of middle-class-to-wealthy individuals, I would recommend this book for its advice. Some ...more
Dawn
Sep 18, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through a goodreads giveaway. The book has a simple straightforward message: with a commitment of time and money everyone can do good charitable work that makes a real difference. The author gives you the steps to take to make it financially possible to make a significant contribution to making the world a better place. He doesnt try to convince you to volunteer or make donations. Instead the author gives examples of those who've done good, who are making their mark, and lay ...more
Eric
Oct 15, 2012 Eric rated it liked it
This is a pretty good book--not exactly well-written, but good. It will have a positive effect on most readers. I liked the way the author alternates chapters containing profiles of volunteers with chapters of financial advice. The problem is that the financial advice isn't really overly helpful. This format is a good idea, but maybe it would have been better to just focus on the feel-good stories.
Jeanne
Oct 14, 2013 Jeanne rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received this book free from good reads. First read.

I found the stories inspirational. Remarkable, ordinary people making the world a better place. A lot of practical advice to empower us to support charities, or create charities, social ventures, or not-for-profit adventures. I especially, found it enlightening that one did not have to give up their family or career to do good works.
Megan Wolfenden
Mar 19, 2013 Megan Wolfenden rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful. Devin does a wonderful job showing you how you can organize your finances and your time to really make a difference. The case studies are lovely and everyone in there is making a difference. I suggest giving this book to friends and family so they can se how they can make their own difference in the world. Thanks Devin.
Paddy O'callaghan
Nov 02, 2012 Paddy O'callaghan rated it it was amazing

le, This good highlight the fact that individualc can make a a difference, and that evil can be overcome when good people "take arms against a sea of trouble and by opposing end it". It is book eloquently written and unpretentious; to pull this off with such brilliance is a rare talent indeed. Thank you Mr Thorpe.
Pearl
Oct 28, 2013 Pearl rated it it was amazing
A great book with a clear purpose ..... helping everyone and anyone understand how they can leave their mark on the world. I was pleasantly surprised with the economics included. For me, that made it even better because I could relate to the outcomes more easily.
Jon Thomason
Dec 31, 2012 Jon Thomason rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I don't read a lot in the genre...I'm more of an escapist reader, but Devin's excellent book got me thinking *deeply* about a more systematic way to give back. The writing is clear and the stories inspiring. Kudos!
Liz
May 08, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
A book that motivates to give more of your time/money and teaches great personal finance habits. I learned that I am doing many things right. I just need to find a cause that I am passionate about.
Patricia
Jan 18, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it
It is inspiring what some people accomplish in their lives and how they pay it forward.
Lily
Quite inspirational.
Blair
Blair marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Warren Whitlock
Warren Whitlock marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Thomas Fretty
Thomas Fretty marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Shauna
Shauna is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2016
  • New Moon on the Water
  • The Strange Tale of Hector and Hannah Crowe
  • Tale of Lucia Grandi
  • Shaping Kate: Coming of Age in the 1950s
  • Shadows of Absolution (Malora, #5)
  • Courtney Saves Christmas
  • Elizabeth Bathory (A Play in Five Scenes)
  • The King of Pain: A Novel With Stories
  • The Heat of the Sun
  • The Memory Eater
  • Come August, Come Freedom: The Bellows, The Gallows, and The Black General Gabriel
  • The Color of Snow
  • O! Jackie
  • Pandora's Temple (Blaine McCracken, #10)
  • Incredible Dreams
5822063
Devin Thorpe thinks he is the luckiest person alive. After being “let go” from the best job he’d ever had—as the Chief Financial Officer of the multinational food and beverage company MonaVie—he and his wife ended up living in China for a year where he wrote Your Mark On The World and embarked on the career he’d always wanted and hadn’t dared dream.
Now, as an author and blogger for Forbes Devin wr
More about Devin D. Thorpe...