Start by marking “E-learning 101: It's not as tough as it looks” as Want to Read:
E-learning 101: It's not as tough as it looks

E-learning 101: It's not as tough as it looks

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
E-learning 101 is an e-book that will cheer you on, while it shows you the ropes.
It’s just like having your own personal e-learning coach.

This e-learning resource can do three things for you.

1. Save you time – by quickly explaining how everything works (it’s much faster than guessing on your own).

2. Stop you worrying – by replacing your fears with action and progress.

3. Ma
Published April 2nd 2012 by Liz Hardy

To ask other readers questions about E-learning 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about E-learning 101

Sheila
Oct 09, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing

If you like dogs and you want to learn, this little book’s a great place to start. And no, I didn’t mean if you want to learn about dogs. The dogs provide light-hearted, well-chosen illustrations to some simple lessons on how to start e-learning in an excellent, easy-reading book by an author who’s not trying to tell you what to learn or how to find a job, just how to learn using the wonders of modern technology. This nicely technological ebook is peculiarly satisfying, with pictures that stay w
Sylvia Morice
Sep 06, 2012 Sylvia Morice rated it really liked it
Dr. Liz Hardy sent a request to Indie Chicks (www.indiepicks.wordpress.com) to ask if either Faye or I would review her book, E-learning 101. She mentioned that I might be a good person to review it as I have a background in adult instructional learning and design, and I agreed that it was a subject that interests me.

The book is very straightforward, written in everyday language, except for a few odd terms that adults new to online learning might not know. For example:
Learning Management System
M
Jennifer (JC-S)
Aug 22, 2012 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
‘If you are an adult learner who’s new to online learning, this guide’s for you.’

One of the great opportunities afforded by the digital age is online learning: enabling individual access to learning in virtual rather than actual classrooms. It’s convenient – learning outside formal timetables and designated institutions - but requires some adjustment and self-discipline in order to make the most of the flexibility offered through technology.

At the same time as these more flexible learning opport
Angus Mcfarlane
May 04, 2013 Angus Mcfarlane rated it really liked it
It was a pleasure to read this book. When I was asked to have a look at it, I wasn't sure I'd have much to contribute, as I am not usually an e-learner. However, I have needed to pick up a few skils for work and was using Internet resources to do so, so the timing was good! The books is laid out in a simple and fresh manner with plenty of places to write down the practical steps that help transfer the theory into action. I thought the book addressed the challenges that face the e-learner in a di ...more
Melissa
*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

This review is also posted on my blog, Melissa's Midnight Musings here: http://midnight-orchids.blogspot.com/...

This book is very straighforward and to the point. Broken down into 6 lessons, the information is easily read and absorbed.

I wouldn't say that I learned anything prolific or even anything new really. Given that I do have some experience with e-learning having taken some online courses during my college ca
LiteraryMarie
Sep 12, 2012 LiteraryMarie rated it liked it
Remember the old days of traditional learning from a thick heavy textbook and taking notes in a black and white composition notebook on college-ruled paper? Well times have changed. Technology has evolved and now many students learn through online courses and learning management systems such as Blackboard or Moodle.

This short eBook covers areas that adult learners struggle with most. There are easy action steps you can apply to your own unique situation. E-Learning 101 addresses relevant topics
Nada
Sep 10, 2012 Nada rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
E-learning 101 is a self help book that will allow you to understand how e-learning works.

I've read multiple self-help book throughout the years and I found them all very helpful. Most of them had a great impact in my life. And I found this one; E-learning 101, another helpful self-help book because it was an easy read, and it is a book that tells you straight up, "It's okay to do e-learning" and "there is nothing to be afraid of!" but it's not only with e-learning, it's with the internet in ge
Kristen Stieffel
Some of us--and I'll fess to being totally in this group--don't like to approach a new experience without an orientation.

This book is the freshman orientation for online education.

I wish I'd had this book before I began my first online learning course. Unfortunately, that was a long time ago, because I'm just geeky to get close to the bleeding edge once in a while. I'm also just geeky enough that I never really feared online learning.

Still, I would have appreciated the author's advice about time
Ruty  B
Nov 26, 2012 Ruty B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction
E-learning 101 is a fun and easy to read guide with some great tips on how to study on-line. Not only is short and fast to have read but it also had some adorable dogs to keep you in company while you read.

In 50 pages the author, Dr Liz Hardy, describes the main points to be remember during your learning experience. Nowadays you have on-line courses everywhere, and I really mean everywhere, some colleges have their degrees courses divided between virtual classes and the ones you actually have t
Joana Augusto
Oct 06, 2012 Joana Augusto rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, kindle
I got this book as a kindle review copy from the author, and I do not regret accepting it one bit! This a pretty good introductory book to e-learning. It's pretty small and you can read it in a 2-3 hours. Each chapter is self contained and can be read independently or out of order. Each chapter also list action items you should be filling out while reading, which might take you a couple extra hours to complete, but are worth it. The chapters cover the most typical points someone new to e-learnin ...more
Michelle
Aug 30, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: zz2012-read
E-learning 101 is a precise read that will take about an hour or so out of your life but will reward you with the inspiration and drive to tackle an e-learning course with great success.

As technology and the internet starts to take over more and more of our lives, online learning courses are becoming more common and are a great way to become educated in a huge number of areas.

This book is a great resource for anyone new to online learning and 'self-paced' learning courses. It gives you small ta
Sweetp-1
Sep 09, 2012 Sweetp-1 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ebook
The author sent me a copy for the purposes of reviewing.

E-Learning 101 is an easy to read guide designed to assist people embarking on online study. It's goal is to make the whole experience less daunting. I imagine the intended audience as (perhaps) older folk who are intimidated by technology or people who are Ok with computers but maybe not very confident with forums etc. The tone, layout and illustrations are all non confronting and everyday language is used throughout.

While the focus is onl
Shalini Ayre
Nov 22, 2012 Shalini Ayre rated it really liked it
In six easy to read, straight talking lessons, E-Learning 101, dispels the myth that learning online is difficult, not worth the effort and unsociable.

A handy go to guide, each subject is dealt with in an informal almost jovial way so the reader understands not only how to get around the online management system they are using but why they may not want to learn via a computer as well as motivate them to complete a course undertaken.

With topics such as 'Who's afraid of technology?', 'How to study
Carrie Slager
Feb 09, 2014 Carrie Slager rated it it was amazing
[Full disclosure: Liz Hardy sent me a free ebook in exchange for an honest review.]

This isn’t normally the sort of book I’d review, but E-learning 101 is useful not only for adults learning online, but for teenagers too. Especially teenagers in small schools who have to take some courses online that their school doesn’t offer.

I find that one of the downfalls of most how-to books is that they don’t actually explain how to do things, but only give you tips without the reasoning behind them. Not so
Clara
Dec 05, 2012 Clara rated it really liked it
I received this book last week, and read it in less than twenty minutes. It's quite a quick read, and very self-helpful. I'm not sure if I would spend $9.99 on it, though.

Liz Hardy is a teacher that is well accomplished so she knows what she's writing about. As for the puppies that show up randomly every other page or two, it's quite funny, and does have a relax feel for adult that are unsure of e-learning.

The information in the book wasn't beyond anything I didn't know. Though, I am not an adul
Valerie

Publisher: Liz Hardy
Date: 2012
Pages: 46

Overview:
The purpose of this book is to take the worry out of e-learning for adult learners. Dr. Liz Hardy informs students of the basics of e-learning through very short lessons accompanied by action steps. Students considering an e-course will be confident of their success after reading this e-book.

Purpose:

Background information:
Liz Hardy enrolled in unive
Nickie
Nov 18, 2012 Nickie rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author for review purposes. I was not compensated in any way for the review, and everything stated in this review is my own honest opinion.

Let's start by being clear on who the target audience is for this book -- this is intended for ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS in e-learning course, for people intimidated by online classes (or the internet in general). If you're looking for something on computer programming, click on that search bar and try again.

Ok, now that part
Steve
Oct 12, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author for review.

As someone who has participated in e-learning quite a bit for several years, I found this guide to be packed full of great tips for simplifying the process for those who are unfamiliar with it. I was blown away by how much great information was crammed into such a short book.

I have only one criticism for this book. Maybe it's really an idea for another book. I would have liked to have seen more information about how to go about using onli
Kathleen Dixon
Oct 04, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it liked it
Shelves: education
It's a time-honoured way to promote a book by sending a number of copies to selected reviewers, and I was one of the recipients. I put off reading it for a while because I thought it might be a little tedious, but it wasn't! Dr Hardy has written a droll and easy-to-read 'manual' for people who are just starting out on an e-learning path (or perhaps who have struggled through a course and could really do with some good pointers). She provides clear suggestions in a light and friendly tone. This m ...more
Robert
Sep 16, 2012 Robert rated it liked it
Full disclosure - I was provided a copy of this book by the author.

The world of E-Learning has opened up new opportunities to so many people these days. The challenge for many is that they may not be experienced with studying and may find doing it online very different from what they first thought.

This book is good primer for those who are getting into E-Learning for the very first time. It covers all the basics and should be handy to many first time students as well, whether online or not. The
Kellie
Nov 16, 2012 Kellie rated it it was amazing
E-learning 101 is an excellent resource and invaluable tool. I particularly like the format and layout of the book. It is easy to read and only takes a couple of hours to read and complete the "action" sections. Liz Hardy clearly outlines the six areas adult e-learners may experience when they are starting out in the e-learning world and provides a summary after each lesson. Each of the six lessons includes a "take action" section for applying the lessons and there is plenty of room for taking n ...more
Keith Kendall
Sep 23, 2012 Keith Kendall rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mature students
Shelves: self-help
This is a book primarily for those who are in or considering an online course. It is filled with exercises to help one overcome fear and develop the skills needed for success in online learning. The style is easy and fun, but as with any change, work is required. That necessary work is divided up into bite sized pieces, clearly explained, so that you can get the value without needing to flounder around looking for the elements that will make you successful at learning.

Disclaimer: I have not don
Amanda
Sep 23, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: The author provided me a copy of her book for review.

E-learning has emerged as a mainstream module for education, and online learning opportunities are vast. However, technology can still be intimidating. As a result, anyone new to e-learning might shy away from a good educational opportunity out of fear. Dr. Hardy's book thoroughly addresses how to begin and complete an e-course with confidence.

The following topics are broken into succinct discussions and action steps that, if
Critique de Book
Sep 14, 2012 Critique de Book rated it really liked it
What I liked: This is my first foray into a self-help "how to learn" book. I imagine the target audience of this one includes Generation X and Baby Boomers, as e-learning wouldn't seem to be a frightening or unknown prospect to the Ys and 00s. In any case, the tone is conversational, and the tips are logical and well thought out. Lots of good tips here that will indeed help an e-learner ground themself before launching into that first online course.

What I didn’t like: The book is not for true be
Cathy
Sep 15, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
As a Dyslexic, I am very choosey about what I read.

Subjects that don’t interest me send my mind off to ‘Planet Gaga’ by the second paragraph, so when I was asked to read a book about E-Learning, I was somewhat reticent, thinking I was going to have to force myself to be polite about something I was going to have to admit to sleeping through.
So I opened the PDF doc with an audible sigh.

Well let me tell you, by page two I was hooked.
The design, colour and pictures are icing on a cake that is stuff
Paul
Jul 19, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
You have been away from education for a number of years, perhaps earning a living, or, for whatever readon, physically attending college is not possible. You have heard about this thing called e-learning, but you wonder what it's all about. This ebook gives the answer.

The most important thing to learn is that no one will stand over you making sure your assignments are done. You can do them in your pajamas if you wish, but the obligation to hand them in on time is totally up to you. Before the co
The Book Outline
Sep 21, 2012 The Book Outline rated it really liked it
In E-learning 101, Dr Liz Hardy playfully introduces the reader to the world of e Learning. Divided in six unequal lessons, the author explains the concept of electronic learning without going into any complex technical jargons involved in the associated techniques. The author stresses on the importance of time management, self motivation, proactively handling distractions, deadlines and the importance of finding alternatives to traditional support networks to undertake a successful e-learning j ...more
Michele Harrod
Aug 15, 2012 Michele Harrod rated it really liked it
A quick little read, with some handy tips and insights into studying on-line. I do actually go to Uni, but only for lectures, and then have to come home and get on with assignments and further self-directed study. Some really good ideas, and exercises that have made me face some home truths that the excuses I make not to study, the distractions I allow to disrupt my study time. This gem encouraged me to confront those, and remind myself what I am studying for, and what I chose my priorities to b ...more
Lyn
Aug 27, 2012 Lyn rated it really liked it
When I began an online course some years ago it took me ages to learn how to negotiate my way around the course notes, the timeline, the online forums, learning how to submit my work and so on. How helpful it would have been had this book accompanied the initial mail out.
Packed with easy to read instructions, explanations, handy hints and time management advice, this little book is a must-read for anyone contemplating doing an online course.
It has a positive, you can-do-it approach, even in the
Thomas Edmund
Sep 09, 2012 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing
E-Learning 101 is available from http://www.elearningtrainer.com/e-lea... and covers the basics of e-learning, mostly focussed on mature students who may or may not be teach savy.

Now I'm not really the intended audience for this, however I suspect it would be very helpful to anyone who is interested in extending their education, but have little to no idea of where to start if they want to investigate e-learning.

The formatting is professional and pleasant looking, with humorous pics of dogs throu
Creative Reviews: E-learning 101 - Liz Hardy 1 6 Aug 14, 2012 10:33PM
I'm Liz Hardy, an e-learning specialist who's helped around 3,000 online learners in 21 papers, from beginners to graduates. I hold degrees and diplomas in several disciplines, including a PhD, and Adult Training qualifications.

I know that online learning looks pretty tough - especially when you're just getting started. But a few simple strategies can make all the difference to your learning exper
More about Liz Hardy...