Start by marking “Triple Shot (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #7)” as Want to Read:
Triple Shot (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #7)

Triple Shot (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #7)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The state of Wisconsin has never been known for its mild winters and this particular season is no exception. But that’s all good news for Maggy Thorsen and Uncommon Grounds, her newly renovated Brookhills coffeehouse.

Now that Maggy and her real estate maven pal, Sarah Kingston, have finally completed the relocation of Uncommon Grounds to the town’s historical train statio
Published June 24th 2012 by NY Literary (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Triple Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triple Shot

Ivonne Rovira
Coffee shop owner Maggy Thorsen and her new business partner, real-estate maven Sarah Kingston, think they smell a rat — literally. A stench is coming from below their store, Uncommon Grounds, now located at a renovated commuter train station in a space Sarah inherited. When the pair investigate, the dead rat is a metaphorical rather than literal one: Brigid Ferndale, Sarah’s erstwhile sales apprentice, who had reported Sarah and Kingston Realty to Wisconsin’s Department of Regulation and Licens ...more
Johaleesi (formerly JJiReads)
I enjoy a good mystery. A lot. In fact, without even knowing that there were 6 other books in the Maggy Thorsen coffeehouse mystery series, I requested a review copy of Triple Shot, which is the 7th. I loved it so much and not once did I feel that I was missing part of the story just because I had not read the previous books. I felt very comfortable reading it as a standalone. Maggy Thorsen is a coffeehouse owner in a small town in Wisconsin where everything seems to be quiet and mundane, but no ...more
Patricia
There is story after story written about the Mafia. Many of the stories are fact and have been proven true. Others are tales that have been passed around by word of mouth and might have some basis in fact but are mostly legends.

Maggy Thorsen and her partner Sarah Kingston have Uncommon Grounds, their Brookhills coffee house up and running in the town’s historic train station. The current specialty at Uncommon Grounds is the store’s autumn drink, Triple Shot, a drink full of caffeine and sugar. C
Sandra Stiles
I love a good mystery, and trust me this is a good one. We enter a town in Wisconsin and are immediately taken inside the “Uncommon Grounds” Coffee house. Once inside we begin to meet the well developed cast of characters. Maggy Thorsen is the owner of the coffee house along with her partner Sarah Kingston. Sarah is also a local realtor and the owner of the building the coffee house sits in. Sarah and Maggy are so different that they compliment each other. Sarah voices her opinion on everything ...more
Marlyn
It's really tough to run a food and beverage establishment when there's a funky smell so strong permeating the space that even the scent of Triple Shot Fully Leaded Espressos can't cover it. Upon investigation, Maggy Thorsen and her partner Sarah Kingston discover a body in a hidden room beneath Uncommon Grounds.

The body happens to be that of Sarah's apprentice Brigid, who had filed a complaint against her boss with the real estate board, giving Sarah the perfect reason to do away with her. Bein
Maria
This is a murder mystery set in a small town, so all the characters know each other and know all about each other. Yet it definitely can't be classified as a cozy mystery!

The dialogue was written much in the form of the Puzzle Lady mysteries. It's a little difficult to become accustomed to, but is quite charming and effective in presenting the storyline.

The book is well written, and makes for fast reading. It has a bit of something for everyone: intrigue, murder, mystery, romance, and history!
Krystal
This book was definitely hard to put down. I enjoyed the intrigue and mystery that permeated the novel. There was always an suspenseful undercurrent. The main character, Maggy, and her friend, Sarah, are just becoming successful when everything turns around. Now, rather than sweet drinks they are dealing with the stench of corpses.

The characters were likable, even funny at times. Maggy was intense, but smart. Sarah had a mouth on her at times, but she acted as the comic relief at times. The sec
Beth Ann
Another great book by Sandra Balzo set in a coffee shop. This one kept me guessing and the main character, Maggie Thorsen, becomes a hero and goes viral by the end of the caper. Fun series and I drank them all in as quickly as I could. I am excited to read the next one in the series that comes out in December!!!! Keep em coming!!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Maggy Thorsen, owner of 'Uncommon Grounds' is so happy with her new business partner, Sarah and just how business is going in general. That is until...she walks in the door and smells a smell beyond description.

As she heads outdoors to investigate, she meets a reality television producer, actor etc. Maggie learns of an old Mafia connection to her little town, Brookhills, WI.

In this novel, we have lost treasures, dead bodies, and old FBI cases or are they that old? By the way, why are real estat
Susan
There's a vile smell coming from underneath Maggy Thorsen's coffee shop. Given her track record as a magnet for bodies, that can mean only one thing. Unfortunately, it seems that the victim is someone who had really angered Maggy's partner, difficult real estate agent Sarah Kingston, who's afraid that the local sheriff, Maggy's boyfriend, suspects her. Then there's the over-the-hill tv journalist from Chicago who wants to do a story about a mob vs. FBI massacre in the area more than thirty years ...more
PWRL
May 20, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
E
ChrisGA
Poor Maggy. Her coffee shop is a magnet for dead bodies, and she can't help trying to solve the murders. This seventh in the series has her shop reeking and the odor caused by yet again another body hidden in a secret room. Mafia history, missing treasure, and a serial real estate agent killer keep Maggy and the reader guessing until the very end.
Lindig
I vaguely remember trying another of this series and not finishing it, either. I just don't like the main character. And if I don't like the heroine, why would I want to spend time with her? Oh, it's not that she's nasty or mean or weird, she's just pedantic, humorless, and boring.
Stacy
Another solid mystery from Sandra Balzo called Triple Shot. They are always an enjoyable read, and I do like Maggie. Would definitely want to sit down to a bottle of wine with her sometime as she seems like she'd be good company. The mystery itself was interesting enough.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I love this series and the main character is a joy to read. The supporting cast is endearing in it's eccentricities and the plots are always, I think, well thought out and this one had me guessing all the way to the end. I really hope Ms. Balzo continues with this series.
Judith
I do enjoy the writing, characters and light tone of the Balzo coffee shop mysteries, but this one does stretch some limits. I guess this happens when just about any series goes on and on.
Candace Davidson
Renae
I love these series of books. I like Maggy's character and her friends. You can emerge yourself in the story. Definitely a good ready.
I had difficulty getting into this story...? Storyline was smooth enough, kept a nice pace
Evonne Edgington
These books are just fun and quick.
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Paulina Radwańska
Paulina Radwańska marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Leni Davis
Leni Davis marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
  • A Holiday Yarn (A Seaside Knitters Mystery #4)
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • The Body in the Gazebo (Faith Fairchild, #19)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • The Corpse Wore Tartan (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #4)
  • The Devil's Puzzle (Someday Quilts Mystery, #4)
  • The Silence of the Llamas
  • Little Shop of Homicide (A Devereaux Dime Store Mystery #1)
  • The Long Stitch Good Night (An Embroidery Mystery, #4)
  • Yarn to Go (Yarn Retreat, #1)
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
  • Murder and Moonshine: A Mystery (Moonshine Mystery Series, #1)
  • To Catch a Leaf (A Flower Shop Mystery, #12)
  • Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries #1)
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott #7)
  • The More the Terrier
  • Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #3)
  • To Sketch a Thief (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #2)
Sandra Balzo is an award-winning author of crime fiction, including eleven books in two mystery series--one set outside Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the other in the High Country of North Carolina. MURDER ON THE ORIENT ESPRESSO, the eighth Maggy Thorsen Wisconsin coffeehouse mystery, was released in December, and the series has been optioned for development as a TV series/film.

Balzo's books have gar
More about Sandra Balzo...
Grounds for Murder (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #2) Uncommon Grounds (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #1) Bean There, Done That (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #3) Brewed, Crude and Tattooed (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #4) From the Grounds Up (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #5)

“How the hell did I get myself involved with this broad? It’s like I’m Lassie, she’s Timmy, and every day is a new well.” 6 likes
“Goody. That must be why they were looking for a 22-caliber anything when they came by with their search warrant this morning.'

'They didn't!'

'They did.'

'When?'

'Oddly enough, right before I upped my meds.”
0 likes