Start by marking “The Enchanted Orchards” as Want to Read:
The Enchanted Orchards

The Enchanted Orchards

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Deep in the heart of Georgia where the oaks drip with Spanish moss and the scent of peaches wafts through the air, bitter teenager Fern Merris is trying to survive the breathless heat of summer and all the trials and tribulations of a small-town Southern life. But she is haunted by the tragic secret of her sister’s death and even her beloved orchards can’t seem to save her...more
Published June 25th 2012 by Kristin Maddock

To ask other readers questions about The Enchanted Orchards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enchanted Orchards

Bethany
"Every single day I have missed you. I grieve for the moments we have had together and I long for the moments we will never have."

This book accomplished something not many books can. It has raw and real emotion buried within the pages. It made me laugh and cry and ignore most things until I finished it. I definitely recommend it.
Rebecca Berto
The Enchanted Orchards had me at the prologue. It's this tiny thing—not even a page—yet Kristin Maddock has your heart aching before you get to Chapter One.

Then it struck me. I've read a book that hurt so much to read in that first instance. Fans of Rosamund Lupton (Sister and Afterwards) and The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards will, guaranteed, be left sleepless whilst reading The Enchanted Orchards.

Let me describe. This book is genius, yet easy to read for hours at a time. The message...more
Bonnie Burnatowski
I always have a little trouble falling in love with the first person perspective. If the story is strong enough to draw me in, however, I find that I can get past my issues and really enjoy the book. After I got used to the way the narrator switches from what's going on in her life to talking to her sister, I really began to fall for the telling of the tale. There's tons of really beautiful prose in the book that adds magic and poignancy to both the setting and the characters. This book was real...more
Lisa
This book describes what a loss of a loved one (in this case a sister/daughter) must feel like in depth. I spent more than 1/2 the book wondering if the main character, Fern, would EVER pull out of it (I'm not trying to be insensitive, I swear!). I almost put it down a couple of times, but decided to keep reading because the author did keep me hooked wondering what exactly did happen to Fern's sister. Plus, I'm a sucker for young love and that part story also kept me reading. Ultimately it was o...more
Elaine
This is the story of Fern, an 18 year old girl who we first meet several months after the death of her sister Lily. It tells how Fern, and her parents, are struggling to come to terms with, accept and move on from Lily's death. The story is told in Fern's voice, as a series of monologues to her sister. With the exception of Fern's parents, who were a bit "cardboard cut-out" and very much in the background of the story for most of the book, I liked most of the characters, especially Fancy - the l...more
Heidi Garrett
The Enchanted Orchards by Kristine Maddock is a sweet and tender story of love, loss, and spritual revival.

The main character, Fern, has just the right balance of honesty, integrity, vulnerability, and wit. Her sassy best friend, Fancy, provides the perfect counterpoint.

The summer in Calcutta is hot, Fern is searching for answers to tough questions, and the peach orchards are a haven of beauty and mystery. Highly recommend.
Lauren McKellar
At first, I didn't fall for this book - but when I did, I fell so hard it would have broken a glass table (had I been standing on one).
Milljay perfectly captures the grieving progress in a world that is painted perfectly. Her characters are complex and all so believable I was very sad to let them go.
A book that will stay with me forever.
Alexis
The book starts out with really strong imagery and mystery. It catches your attention and holds it till the last word. The characters were amazing (especially Fancy). The plot was different than what I expected and I loved that. The book also made me laugh and cry a few times. All in all a really great read.
Mar 02, 2013 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This book was so good, I cannot even begin to explain how it drew me in. It was beautifully written, the descriptions of the orchards - I felt like I was there. I love love love this book. I just finished it last night and want to re-read it today.
Tara Duncil
Fun and easy read. Love all the characters and wish I could meet them. This story elicits many emotions and kept me thinking of it long after reading. Kind of steel magnolias meets nicholas sparks:) Look forward to the next novel.
Brenda  Adams
A compelling read about letting go of grief and finding yourself after the loss of someone dear to your heart through the eyes of a teenager who has lost her younger sister who was also her best friend.
Kimmi Bailey
Wow...this book will make you cry...this book will make you laugh. It is now one of my favorite reads and I highly recommend it!
Tiffany
It's ok. Not my cup of tea but still a well written book about what it takes to get over something horribly tragic.
Tabatha
Amazing. I laughed and cried.
Erin
This book started off really depressing. I almost put it back on a "shelf" for a while having just come off a book with a happy ending, but I pressed on. Fern was an interesting character to relate to. There were times where you could feel her pain, and having the whole book told from her perspective as if she were telling her dead sister made it all the easier to relate to. But having never experienced the loss that she is wrestling with, I couldn't understand how frustrating it was for her to...more
Alyssa Kuncaitis
Angela
I downloaded this book because the premise intrigued me: A young woman and her family dealing with the aftermath of the death of the younger daughter.

A year ago, Fern's younger sister, Lily, drowned in a pond near their rural Georgia home. In the year since, their father spends all his time at work and their mother spends all her time cleaning and reading the Bible: "Her days consist of a thousand scriptures and a bottle of Clorox." And Fern herself didn't return to college; instead, she remain...more
Sierra Duncil
As a person who reads quite often, I'm used to reading the same stories over and over. I can honestly tell you this novel does not fall in that category. Its a mixture of love, loss, acceptance, and everything in between. One moment it had me in tears and the next I was laughing. Its raw and genuine, nothing is sugar coated and in the end it gave me a peace over my life. I fell for all the characters and I think it was beautifully written
Maria

I wasn't sure I was going to like this at first. The first person narrative usually doesn't bother me, but I found this a little harder to adjust to. Eventually though I came to appreciate it, and realized how well it worked to convey the emotions of the main character Fern.

In a nutshell, this book is about a 19 year old girl dealing with the loss of her sister. But she's also dealing with the emotional disconnect within her family as a result of this loss. The relationship that evolves betwee...more
Holly Takatsuka
I loved this book. The style of writing is both beautiful and haunting at the same time. Its a very dark book, dealing very heavily with death and loss. I love how the author can write a beautiful paragraph filled with hope, but then the last sentence changes the entire mood immediately. Loved this author's style and want to read more.

Quote "I begin to realize how completely absurd it is that something as trivial as a watermelon can bring forth your ghostly presence in a world in which you no lo...more
I absolutely LOVED this book! It pulls you in from the start. Fern is searching for answers to death Why? Where do we go when we die? Fern is a strong minded girl and doesn't just take everyone's polite answers to death as truth nor do they comfort her. I love that about her.. she knows there is more to it.

I absolutely loved this book. I'm not usually drawn to this type of book.. (more mystery/thriller) but I found I couldn't really put this book down until I was finished with it. I fell in lov...more
Callie
You know when a book reaches in and touches part of your soul? This book did it for me. Ferns story was sad and depressing but also rang home for me as someone who's lost someone the way her and her family did. You question your faith and panic about moving forward with life. It was a great read for me.
Stephanie Miller
I have read lots of romances lately. They are cute and sweet but I love this author for her different style and how she wrote this book. The style hurt to read but in a good way because I haven't felt so strongly about a book in ages.

Fern is great to read. She doesn't do annoying things like many do like being a hypocrite and saying this but doing that and going back and forward with her choices as many females tend to do. The writing took a few pages to get in to but then I was hooked!

This boo...more
Catrina Bradley
You might see this book labeled as a romance, and yes, there is definitely a romance (or two or three), but it is so much more that. The Enchanted orchards is a story about searching for meaning in the death of someone you love more than life. It is the story of coming to grips with the fact that you might never find know the meaning of their death, but that you can find strength will to let go, move on, and keep living.
Renee Bremer
I sit here after reading the last words...feeling everything; hope, sadness, thoughtfulness, grief.....emotions....life. Some of it was for Fern's journey, some of it was for my own. This was an amazing walk through Ferns summer of grief and growth. As she approaches the year anniversary of her sisters death, she searches for reason and struggles with letting go. You must read this book. Period.
Christy
Having experienced personal loss on this level, it was easy for me to relate. She wanted to let go but she didn't. This book was full of like-able characters. It was a good picture of grief that saps the life from you. I initially noticed some writing flaws, but soon I forgot about good writing and other problems because I got so lost in the story and the emotion.
Kelley
I loved this book. Wasn't sure the main character and narrator being 19 would keep my attention, but she was wonderful. Not to mention I am a sucker for books set in the south, in the summer. Fancy was a great character too, everyone should have a Fancy in their lives.
Selenis
A beautiful heartfelt story
We go through the difficult path Fern and her parents walk trying to cope with Lily's death and absence And when it seems everything is going down a dark dark path, a flickr of hope appears and maybe there is healing after all

Loved this book
Kayla Skinner
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The only because I have known the author for many years but because it was a very good read. I would recommend it to anybody. I especially like the way it ended and didn't leave you hanging. I hope to read more by this author very soon :)
Amy
The story line is something that lies close to my heart. I thought that I would just love the book but it was really boring. It dragged on and on. The main character Fern was not likeable and you just wanted to slap her and say snap out of it already!
  • Cafe Du Jour
  • Falling (Bits and Pieces #1)
  • Chasing Paris
  • Running Wide Open (Full Throttle, #1)
  • The Leopard Tree
  • The Drought
  • The Summer I Learned to Dive
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • Angel
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • Seems Like Old Times
  • A Horse Called September
  • Nothing Else Matters
  • Meets Girl
  • My Butterfly (Butterfly Weeds, #2)
  • Two Days of a Dream
  • Notes to Self
  • Fluke
Wildhearts

“Every single day I have missed you. I grieve for the moments we have had together and I long for the moments we will never have.” 9 likes