Start by marking “The Enchanted Orchards” as Want to Read:
The Enchanted Orchards

The Enchanted Orchards

Summer. Death. Love & Peaches.

Deep in the heart of Georgia where the oaks drip with Spanish moss and the scent of peaches wafts through the air, bitter teenager Fern Merris is trying to survive the breathless heat of summer and all the trials and tribulations of a small-town Southern life.

But she is haunted by the tragic secret of her sister’s death and even her belove
Published December 4th 2013 by Kristin Maddock (first published June 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Enchanted Orchards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enchanted Orchards

Bethany
Oct 11, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
"Every single day I have missed you. I grieve for the moments we have had together and I long for the moments we will never have."

This book accomplished something not many books can. It has raw and real emotion buried within the pages. It made me laugh and cry and ignore most things until I finished it. I definitely recommend it.
David Rose
Dec 16, 2016 David Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent novel. As the blurb says straight out, it deals a lot with death, and that's a serious subject.
In the first few chapters the book pulls away very slowly, like a heavy-laden freight train, because the story Fern has to share weighs about the same. Small town life in Georgia is very well portrayed, and just about as laid-back as one might expect. That does not mean that there are no secrets, or no tension. Something is very wrong with Fern's family, what's left of it, and ther
Rebecca Berto
Sep 05, 2012 Rebecca Berto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-everrr
The Enchanted Orchards had me at the prologue. It's this tiny thing—not even a page—yet Kristin Maddock has your heart aching before you get to Chapter One.

Then it struck me. I've read a book that hurt so much to read in that first instance. Fans of Rosamund Lupton (Sister and Afterwards) and The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards will, guaranteed, be left sleepless whilst reading The Enchanted Orchards.

Let me describe. This book is genius, yet easy to read for hours at a time. The message
Bonnie Burnatowski
I always have a little trouble falling in love with the first person perspective. If the story is strong enough to draw me in, however, I find that I can get past my issues and really enjoy the book. After I got used to the way the narrator switches from what's going on in her life to talking to her sister, I really began to fall for the telling of the tale. There's tons of really beautiful prose in the book that adds magic and poignancy to both the setting and the characters. This book was real ...more
Lisa
Aug 01, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
This book describes what a loss of a loved one (in this case a sister/daughter) must feel like in depth. I spent more than 1/2 the book wondering if the main character, Fern, would EVER pull out of it (I'm not trying to be insensitive, I swear!). I almost put it down a couple of times, but decided to keep reading because the author did keep me hooked wondering what exactly did happen to Fern's sister. Plus, I'm a sucker for young love and that part story also kept me reading. Ultimately it was o ...more
Heidi Garrett
Sep 05, 2012 Heidi Garrett rated it it was amazing
The Enchanted Orchards by Kristine Maddock is a sweet and tender story of love, loss, and spritual revival.

The main character, Fern, has just the right balance of honesty, integrity, vulnerability, and wit. Her sassy best friend, Fancy, provides the perfect counterpoint.

The summer in Calcutta is hot, Fern is searching for answers to tough questions, and the peach orchards are a haven of beauty and mystery. Highly recommend.
Alexis
Jul 31, 2012 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books
The book starts out with really strong imagery and mystery. It catches your attention and holds it till the last word. The characters were amazing (especially Fancy). The plot was different than what I expected and I loved that. The book also made me laugh and cry a few times. All in all a really great read.
Lauren McKellar
Jan 15, 2013 Lauren McKellar rated it it was amazing
At first, I didn't fall for this book - but when I did, I fell so hard it would have broken a glass table (had I been standing on one).
Milljay perfectly captures the grieving progress in a world that is painted perfectly. Her characters are complex and all so believable I was very sad to let them go.
A book that will stay with me forever.
Tara Duncil
Aug 01, 2012 Tara Duncil rated it it was amazing
Fun and easy read. Love all the characters and wish I could meet them. This story elicits many emotions and kept me thinking of it long after reading. Kind of steel magnolias meets nicholas sparks:) Look forward to the next novel.
Feb 22, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This book was so good, I cannot even begin to explain how it drew me in. It was beautifully written, the descriptions of the orchards - I felt like I was there. I love love love this book. I just finished it last night and want to re-read it today.
Brenda  Adams
Nov 11, 2013 Brenda Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling read about letting go of grief and finding yourself after the loss of someone dear to your heart through the eyes of a teenager who has lost her younger sister who was also her best friend.
Kimmi Bailey
Oct 21, 2012 Kimmi Bailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow...this book will make you cry...this book will make you laugh. It is now one of my favorite reads and I highly recommend it!
Tiffany
Jul 30, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was ok
It's ok. Not my cup of tea but still a well written book about what it takes to get over something horribly tragic.
Tabatha
Aug 13, 2012 Tabatha rated it it was amazing
Amazing. I laughed and cried.
Angela
I downloaded this book because the premise intrigued me: A young woman and her family dealing with the aftermath of the death of the younger daughter.

A year ago, Fern's younger sister, Lily, drowned in a pond near their rural Georgia home. In the year since, their father spends all his time at work and their mother spends all her time cleaning and reading the Bible: "Her days consist of a thousand scriptures and a bottle of Clorox." And Fern herself didn't return to college; instead, she remain
Elaine
May 25, 2014 Elaine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Fern, an 18 year old girl who we first meet several months after the death of her sister Lily. It tells how Fern, and her parents, are struggling to come to terms with, accept and move on from Lily's death. The story is told in Fern's voice, as a series of monologues to her sister. With the exception of Fern's parents, who were a bit "cardboard cut-out" and very much in the background of the story for most of the book, I liked most of the characters, especially Fancy - the l ...more
Alyssa Kuncaitis
Aug 08, 2013 Alyssa Kuncaitis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Sep 07, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off really depressing. I almost put it back on a "shelf" for a while having just come off a book with a happy ending, but I pressed on. Fern was an interesting character to relate to. There were times where you could feel her pain, and having the whole book told from her perspective as if she were telling her dead sister made it all the easier to relate to. But having never experienced the loss that she is wrestling with, I couldn't understand how frustrating it was for her to ...more
Maria
Oct 04, 2012 Maria rated it liked it

I wasn't sure I was going to like this at first. The first person narrative usually doesn't bother me, but I found this a little harder to adjust to. Eventually though I came to appreciate it, and realized how well it worked to convey the emotions of the main character Fern.

In a nutshell, this book is about a 19 year old girl dealing with the loss of her sister. But she's also dealing with the emotional disconnect within her family as a result of this loss. The relationship that evolves betwee
Oct 05, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book! It pulls you in from the start. Fern is searching for answers to death Why? Where do we go when we die? Fern is a strong minded girl and doesn't just take everyone's polite answers to death as truth nor do they comfort her. I love that about her.. she knows there is more to it.

I absolutely loved this book. I'm not usually drawn to this type of book.. (more mystery/thriller) but I found I couldn't really put this book down until I was finished with it. I fell in lov
Priscilla Robinson
My Full Review can be found on my blog

This is a book about love but not necessarily the romantic kind. I really love when I come across a book that shows a different version of what the heart feels and was really excited to dig into the book. This is a story about love but within the first few pages i realized that it was going to be a happy story. In fact it was really sad and depressing but it was also interesting and intriguing at the same time. I kept
Tiffany
Feb 26, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Enchanted Orchards was a different read for me, never the less I did fall in love with the characters and the story. The tragedy brought light, growth, anger, much grief, and finally love.

Fancy had me in tears laughing most of the time and to be honest I was more drawn to her then Fern at the beginning.

Oh and Rocky Lee... Please just let me sit in that mans truck and admire him for awhile!

The beginning was a little redundant and I was a little flustered because you had to read on for a littl
Holly Takatsuka
Dec 30, 2013 Holly Takatsuka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The style of writing is both beautiful and haunting at the same time. Its a very dark book, dealing very heavily with death and loss. I love how the author can write a beautiful paragraph filled with hope, but then the last sentence changes the entire mood immediately. Loved this author's style and want to read more.

Quote "I begin to realize how completely absurd it is that something as trivial as a watermelon can bring forth your ghostly presence in a world in which you no lo
Stephanie Miller
Apr 20, 2013 Stephanie Miller rated it it was amazing
I have read lots of romances lately. They are cute and sweet but I love this author for her different style and how she wrote this book. The style hurt to read but in a good way because I haven't felt so strongly about a book in ages.

Fern is great to read. She doesn't do annoying things like many do like being a hypocrite and saying this but doing that and going back and forward with her choices as many females tend to do. The writing took a few pages to get in to but then I was hooked!

This boo
Kolleen
Jun 26, 2015 Kolleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was pretty excited about this free Kindle book, but as always, it turned out to be a disappointment.

This is a story about Fern, a sister who is grieving after her sister's suicide. Fern claims to be severely depressed and withdrawn, but from what I understand about depression the author's got it all wrong. In any event, the book continues on in the most predictable way possible- Fern falls in love and pulls out of her depression, and they all live happily ever after.

I really wish the author w
Catrina Bradley
You might see this book labeled as a romance, and yes, there is definitely a romance (or two or three), but it is so much more that. The Enchanted orchards is a story about searching for meaning in the death of someone you love more than life. It is the story of coming to grips with the fact that you might never find know the meaning of their death, but that you can find strength will to let go, move on, and keep living.
Marthanna Moss
Feb 22, 2016 Marthanna Moss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truth. This book was about life. Yes, there was a story surrounding the truths of life. You have to work your way through the many stages of grief, to find it. But this book told the story of life and how it should be lived. It was my story, and your story, and the neighbors' story, and the stranger on the street, and the homeless person in the park. It's a story we can all identify with, we can all feel. It's a story about life.
Sierra Duncil
Mar 19, 2014 Sierra Duncil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a person who reads quite often, I'm used to reading the same stories over and over. I can honestly tell you this novel does not fall in that category. Its a mixture of love, loss, acceptance, and everything in between. One moment it had me in tears and the next I was laughing. Its raw and genuine, nothing is sugar coated and in the end it gave me a peace over my life. I fell for all the characters and I think it was beautifully written
Renee Bremer
Aug 17, 2013 Renee Bremer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I sit here after reading the last words...feeling everything; hope, sadness, thoughtfulness, grief.....emotions....life. Some of it was for Fern's journey, some of it was for my own. This was an amazing walk through Ferns summer of grief and growth. As she approaches the year anniversary of her sisters death, she searches for reason and struggles with letting go. You must read this book. Period.
C.D. Gill
Aug 21, 2013 C.D. Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having experienced personal loss on this level, it was easy for me to relate. She wanted to let go but she didn't. This book was full of like-able characters. It was a good picture of grief that saps the life from you. I initially noticed some writing flaws, but soon I forgot about good writing and other problems because I got so lost in the story and the emotion.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • All My Tomorrows
  • Cafe du Jour
  • Chasing Paris
  • The Long Shadow
  • Fluke
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • Falling (Bits and Pieces #1)
  • Revenge of the Homecoming Queen (Aspen Brooks, #1)
  • The Drought
  • Tab Bennett and the Inbetween (Princess of Twilight and Dawn, #1)
  • The Leopard Tree
  • The Summer I Learned to Dive
  • Nothing Else Matters
  • To Take Her Pride
  • Catch Me a Catch
  • A Sliver of Hope
  • Leaving Green Island
  • Sarah of the Moon

“Every single day I have missed you. I grieve for the moments we have had together and I long for the moments we will never have.” 9 likes
“every” 0 likes