Start by marking “Sing, Sophie!” as Want to Read:
Sing, Sophie!

Sing, Sophie!

Sophie loves to sing, but no one but the crickets wants to hear her song, that is until a special situation calls for her talents and where her cowgirl songs not only come in handy but save the day as well.
Published May 1st 1997 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Sing, Sophie!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sing, Sophie!

Delicia
Oct 12, 2009 Delicia rated it it was amazing
Genre: fiction, picture book
Topic: singing, cowgirls, life on a farm, family
Theme: appreciation of art, determination and persistence in following one's dreams, using one's talents
Illustrations: The illustrations are very bright and colorful. The pages alternate between reality based and fantasy based. The pages with Sophie's songs are fantasy based, not found in reality pictures. The other pages feature illustrations true to the story.
Reading Level: transitional
Use: independent reading; guided
Shelley
Mar 25, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it
This book has a story ...I checked it out at my local library. My kids LOVED it. We even took it on a car trip. They continued to talk about and quote lines long after it had been returned. I went back to check it out only to find that it had been removed from circulation. I then found that it was out of print. Finally I found a copy that was reasonably priced and snatched it up fast. Yes, the book is that cute. "Oh, goose grease!" just read it for yourself.
Alaina Sloo
A great read/sing-aloud book for preschool - kindergarten. The worse you sing the better! Kids love Sophie's ridiculous song lyrics, but they also like the story of a girl who keeps hearing, "Go somewhere else to play right now, you're going to wake your baby brother / disturb the fish / destroy my hairdo".
Esther
Sing, Sophie! is a cute book about a girl who can never stop singing. It drives her family crazy at first, but then they realize how much of a joy it is!

I read this book to my students before dismissal, and they strummed their guitars every time I would sing one of Sophie's songs through out the book. Full of rhyming, great vocabulary. Engages the children, and they really enjoyed it!
Apr 14, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is so cute. It is the first library book Rachel ever brought home and it is perfect for her. The little girl, Sophie, runs around in cowboy get up making up songs "ducks and geese make me sneeze, I got freckles on my knees..." soo sooo cute!

But guess what! I am trying to buy it and it is $75 and up! ?? what is up with that??
JustOneMoreBook.com
Who can resist singing along with this spunky little cowgirl? The artwork is perfect. The southern drawl is contagious. This is a read aloud riot.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Melissa
May 07, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Are you a cowgirl at heart? Do you love to strum your guitar and yodel til the cows come home? That's Sophie, a cowgirl, true n true. This is a great book to sing to kids and introduce country ballads and yodeling.
DeeAnn
Mar 10, 2008 DeeAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is one of our family favorite to read together with our 2 year old. I highly recommend it!
Jill
Dec 27, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, picture
Sophie just wants to sing and be heard. She finally finds an audience in Baby Jacob. The songs depict Sophie's cowgirl spirit through and through.
Mrs Bond
Mar 12, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Very fun to read aloud. Silly songs and fun phrases.
James D Bohling
James D Bohling rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2014
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2008
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2017
Wendy Lukert
Wendy Lukert rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
JustOneMoreBook.com
JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2007
George
George rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2014
Karen Willis
Karen Willis rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2013
❂ Sam ❂
❂ Sam ❂ rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
D
D rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2008
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Boni
Boni rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2008
Holly Boothe
Holly Boothe rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Aileen
Aileen rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2007
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2014
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2008
Ellis
Ellis rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2008
Leanni
Leanni rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2017
Miriam
Miriam rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Dayle Ann Dodds is the author of numerous picture books for children, including THE SHAPE OF THINGS, TEACHER'S PETS, THE GREAT DIVIDE: A MATHEMATICAL MARATHON, and MINNIE'S DINER: A MULTIPLYING MENU. A former elementary school teacher, she lives in Carmel Valley, California.
More about Dayle Ann Dodds...