Start by marking “Sing, Sophie!” as Want to Read:
Sing, Sophie!

Sing, Sophie!

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Sophie loves to sing, but no one but the crickets wants to hear her song, that is until a special situation calls for her talents and where her cowgirl songs not only come in handy but save the day as well.
Published May 1st 1997 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Sing, Sophie!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sing, Sophie!

Delicia
Genre: fiction, picture book
Topic: singing, cowgirls, life on a farm, family
Theme: appreciation of art, determination and persistence in following one's dreams, using one's talents
Illustrations: The illustrations are very bright and colorful. The pages alternate between reality based and fantasy based. The pages with Sophie's songs are fantasy based, not found in reality pictures. The other pages feature illustrations true to the story.
Reading Level: transitional
Use: independent reading; guided
Shelley
This book has a story ...I checked it out at my local library. My kids LOVED it. We even took it on a car trip. They continued to talk about and quote lines long after it had been returned. I went back to check it out only to find that it had been removed from circulation. I then found that it was out of print. Finally I found a copy that was reasonably priced and snatched it up fast. Yes, the book is that cute. "Oh, goose grease!" just read it for yourself.
Esther
Sing, Sophie! is a cute book about a girl who can never stop singing. It drives her family crazy at first, but then they realize how much of a joy it is!

I read this book to my students before dismissal, and they strummed their guitars every time I would sing one of Sophie's songs through out the book. Full of rhyming, great vocabulary. Engages the children, and they really enjoyed it!
This is so cute. It is the first library book Rachel ever brought home and it is perfect for her. The little girl, Sophie, runs around in cowboy get up making up songs "ducks and geese make me sneeze, I got freckles on my knees..." soo sooo cute!

But guess what! I am trying to buy it and it is $75 and up! ?? what is up with that??
JustOneMoreBook.com
Who can resist singing along with this spunky little cowgirl? The artwork is perfect. The southern drawl is contagious. This is a read aloud riot.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Alaina Sloo
A great read/sing-aloud book for preschool - kindergarten. The worse you sing the better! Kids love Sophie's ridiculous song lyrics, but they also like the story of a girl who keeps hearing, "Go somewhere else to play right now, you're going to wake your baby brother / disturb the fish / destroy my hairdo".
Melissa
Are you a cowgirl at heart? Do you love to strum your guitar and yodel til the cows come home? That's Sophie, a cowgirl, true n true. This is a great book to sing to kids and introduce country ballads and yodeling.
Jill
Sophie just wants to sing and be heard. She finally finds an audience in Baby Jacob. The songs depict Sophie's cowgirl spirit through and through.
DeeAnn
This is one of our family favorite to read together with our 2 year old. I highly recommend it!
Mrs Bond
Very fun to read aloud. Silly songs and fun phrases.
I Love
I Love marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Cardi
Cardi added it
Dec 06, 2014
Daye
Daye marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Philluptuous
Philluptuous marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Dayle Ann Dodds is the author of numerous picture books for children, including THE SHAPE OF THINGS, TEACHER'S PETS, THE GREAT DIVIDE: A MATHEMATICAL MARATHON, and MINNIE'S DINER: A MULTIPLYING MENU. A former elementary school teacher, she lives in Carmel Valley, California.
More about Dayle Ann Dodds...
The Prince Won't Go to Bed! Full House: An Invitation to Fractions Minnie's Diner: A Multiplying Menu Teacher's Pets Hello, Sun!