The Gin Lovers #1

The Gin Lovers #1

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Set against the turbulent and glamorous backdrop of Prohibition and the rise of the jazz age, The Gin Lovers is a sensual and romantic story of how one high society woman’s passion and courage lead her to love.

It’s 1925, andthe Victorian era with its confining morals is all but dead. Unfortunately, for New York socialite Charlotte Delacorte, the scandalous flapper revoluti...more
Published October 7th 2012 by St. Martin's Press

Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

The roaring twenties is a time period that has always intrigued me. Something about the speakeasy’s, flappers, and prohibition just interests me. Probably why I went through a period where I was completely obsessed with the movie Chicago. Anyway, back to the review. I also enjoy a good story about a woman finding herself. Those two elements combine in The Gin Lovers.

Charlotte lives a life of luxury in a very prominent New York City family. She wou...more
Hilcia
3.75/5.0 (B-)
Prohibition, flappers, bootleggers, illegal booze, speakeasies, jazz jam sessions, illicit love affairs, fashion, society matrons, politics, and money. . . lots of money. The gilded, repressed world of New York's high society meets and collides with the sophisticated, liberated, and seedy world of flappers, bootleggers, speakeasies and jazz in Jamie Brenner's new soap-opera style serial, The Gin Lovers.

It's 1925 and New York City is mourning the passing of society leader Geraldine D...more
I love period/historic novels and this one is set during the time of Prohibition. A reviewer on Amazon stated that this was a cross between 50 Shades and Downton Abbey....and I totally DISAGREE with that. It was nowhere near that. It was a great story with a couple subplots that held my interest....

You have the main character, Charlotte, trying to regain her identity and sense of independence in a loveless marriage. The arrival of her sister-in-law introduces her to another world -- in the form...more
Cheryl
Charlotte and William are about to have a new house guest. William’s sister, Mae. Unfortunately, Mae is a wild child and William does not like this. He tasks his wife, Charlotte into watching Mae. It is not long before Charlotte is intrigued by Mae and her short dresses and red lipstick. After Charlotte catches Mae sneaking out a few times to see her girlfriend, Fiona; Charlotte jumps into Mae’s world with both feet.

It is in this world that Charlotte meets Jake. Jake is a bartender at a undergr...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5 Stars

This review was posted at Under the Covers

Fascinating and captivating. I have a feeling that this serial will become addictive because it brings such originality when things are starting to all blend in together. THE GIN LOVERS really was like nothing I've read and more like a good movie.

The setting? New York. The era? 1920s. Glamour, high society and their drama, the Prohibition and a great set of characters. I'm completely intrigued by the story. Charlotte Delacorte had married into...more
Abby
Discovered this one through Super Librarian Wendy and her online review.

This web-series is a 6-part, SUPER SOAPY, novella set in 1925 New York City. Most of the action is set around wealthy Charlotte Delacorte, who's stuck in a loveless marriage, and the people around her who are living, loving, struggling and thriving in the midst of Prohibition. It's Boardwalk Empire Lite, except where as I've never been able to get into the show, I am DEVOURING this series like holy hot damn.

Each installment...more
Janeka
DISCLAIMER: I received this book free from the publisher through the GoodReads first-reads review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. All quotes are based on an uncorrected text.

This was such an amazing read! I got so interested reading about the 1920's in New York, getting to know all these influent families, and the effect of the Prohibition Law..
I could almost picture the ladies with the short haircuts, beautiful dreses, dancing so...more
Shari Spencer
I really enjoyed reading this book. I felt like I was transported back to the 20s High Society, and the darkness that lurks behind it. It shows that the upstanding veneers that the people of High Society put forth are not always what they seem. Loved the references to great jazz artists! Will definitely recommend!
Jennifer Laam
The Gin Lovers is fast-paced and so much fun. I love this era (The Roaring Twenties) and Jamie Brenner brought it fully to life. Charlotte and Mae are relatable characters and great company. As an added bonus, the love scenes are hot! I had a great time reading and look forward to more from Jamie Brenner.
Jillian
an awesome read! felt like a " to be continued"... what I didn't like: didn't feel like true love. felt like the romance could go in a new direction. don't wanna spoil by saying how/why I think this. but still, on the edge! page Turner!
Marci
Sexy and enticing!!... I am hooked!!
Brianna Soloski
The Gin Lovers #1 by Jamie Brenner 5/5 stars
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin Length: 95 pages Format: Paperback

Goodreads: It’s 1925, and the Victorian era with its confining morals is all but dead. Unfortunately, for New York socialite Charlotte Delacorte, the scandalous flapper revolution is little more than a headline in the tabloids. Living with her rigid and controlling husband William, her Fifth Avenue townhouse is a gilded cage. But when William’s rebellious younger sister, the beautiful an...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
THE GIN LOVERS by Jamie Brenner is an interesting Historical Romance set during the roaring 20's. "First published as a six-part e-serial. Now this sensual and romantic story of how one high society woman's passion and courage lead her to love is available for the first time ever as a complete book."
An intriguing story of the roaring 20's,social revolution,prohibition,the gilded life and the flappers. Filled with betrayal,romance,sex,mystery,secrets,lust,liquor,and love. Sheltered wife, Charlott...more
Renee
I wasn't expecting to read this all in one sitting. I mean, it's written in a soap opera-like way with each scene taking off where one ends, but, as with Brenner's other novel (writing as Logan Belle, The Librarian), I was instantly pulled in as soon as I started reading. And I enjoyed every minute.

The story begins with a funeral and the family expectations that are placed upon the surviving members inside a powerful New York family during the 1920s. It is prohibition time and I felt myself ins...more
Mary Gramlich
The price is high when you choose to have it both ways

Charlotte is a woman coming of age and coming into her own during in a turbulent time in history. The speakeasy is the only way to enjoy an evening of spirited fun and Charlotte is about to find out how much fun she can have there.

In a stifling marriage where she married above her station Charlotte now has the responsibility of caring for her sister in law now that her mother in law is deceased. Mae is a more than handful to control but the e...more
Amber
The GIN LOVERS is an amazing read. Not my normal genre, but really enjoyed it none the less. Jamie's writing made you feel like you were actually experiencing some part of the 1920's. I loved that there was some historical names and facts mentioned. Jamie took you to an era where woman were to be seen and not heard, an era where your place in society is what mattered. The Gin Lovers was hot, juicy and oh so exciting. What surprised me the most was the reveal of "the boss", wow I so did not see t...more
Habrewer
Gin Lovers #1 by Jamie Brenner
* I received this ARC free from the author in exchange for an honest review*

When Charlotte married into the famous Delacourte family she knew that she would be thrust into New York society, she just never expected for all eyes to be on her when her mother-in-law passed away. Her husband William is controlling and keeps her in the dark about his business and their finances. Her sister-in-law Mae moves in with them and introduces Charlotte to a whole new world while h...more
Literary Vixens
Oct 01, 2013 Literary Vixens added it  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fans of romance novels and the roaring 20s
Reviewed by: Melissa

The Gin Lovers is a sexy romp with the aristocrats of Prohibition Era NYC that boldly looks at the plight of women who one day discover that the life they lead is not the life they want. Set amongst the glitz and glamor of New York City’s elite in 1925, this racy tale smartly examines the struggles of women who were ahead of their time and dared to want more than society was willing to allow.

This soap opera-like story begins with the star studded funeral of socialite, Geraldi...more
Mary Thompson
The roaring twenties! Sex, scandal, bootlegging, flappers, prohibition, New York socialites, glamour, jazz, romance. What more can I say to describe this time in our country when prohibition added the y to sex. This was a fun, living in the moment, quick read. I breezed right through, adoring my new characters, and rooting for the romances. My iBook categorized this into Historical, though there wasn't much of a history lesson. It was more focused on the sex, booze, and roaring drama of the era,...more
Terree
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I started reading this novella, because that is what I thought it was… a novella. But what it actually turned out to be is a serial-soap (new term?) that has each successive installment picking up where the previous one had left off. With that in mind I will share a little about the story and my impression of the characters with you, but not enough to spoil the whole episode.

The Gin Lovers takes place in the Jazz era, and judging by a dance she spoke of, I...more
The Window Seat
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I started reading this novella, because that is what I thought it was… a novella. But what it actually turned out to be is a serial-soap (new term?) that has each successive installment picking up where the previous one had left off. With that in mind, I will share a little about the story and my impression of the characters with you, but not enough to spoil the whole episode.

Carolyn
This book is awful, I kind of think 2 stars is a stretch. SO predictable and cliche. It is very soap opera like, but without a lot of character development. It was somewhat fast paced, in that it the plot quickly moved from one ridiculous cliche to the next rather quickly.
Beth
I read this on the recommendation of an internet/TV review I saw praising this as a fantastic up-and-coming new read. Umm, yeah, I'm kinda ticked that I paid $1.99 for this. It took me all of 3 hours to read this novella, and it definitely was not as interesting or as racy as it's described to be. (It was described as a mix of Downton Abbey, but in 1920's NYC, mixed with 50 Shades of Grey --- yeah, I think not. On all accounts). Don't get me wrong, the writing wasn't bad -- but the story was so...more
Caro Kinkead
A quick read, but it's also short. This is part of a serial, so it ends on a cliff-hanger. I'm curious to see what happens next, but I don't know if I'm curious enough to spend another two bucks on buying the next part. This isn't a "rush out and buy" -- it's more a "do I really want to get sucked into this without knowing how many parts there's going to be or how much this will ultimately cost me. I was entertained by the piece, but I'm not sure I want to fall into this type of reading.
Julia Tagan
As a lover of NYC history, this book satisfies on so many levels. Brenner's meticulous research combined with a fast-moving plot and three-dimensional characters all add up to an excellent read. Truly sweeps you back in time to a truly glamorous age.
Chinelo
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway!

I loved it! I did not expect it to be a page-turner, but it definitely was. There were a few points where the story-line was a little slow and repetitive, but it wasn't too bad.
Erica M
I really enjoyed the plot lines that intertwined with each other. The last installment of Gin Lovers was a fast pasted read! I loved the ending that leaves you wondering...
Darby
Had all of the ingredients for a great book but fell short. The characters were weak and there was no one to truly root for. Close but not great.
Christine
This was not nearly as good as I thought it was gong to be...and not good enough to make me keep downloading each short story to finish.
Beckey
3 stars becuase I felt like the ending of this book felt rushed. Like the author was just done with the book or facing a tight deadline.
  • Sins of a Virgin (Sinners Trio, #1)
  • The Birthday Scandal
  • The Diary Of Cozette
  • It Stings So Sweet
  • Prides of the Moon (Bundle #1-5)
  • The Trouble with Cowboys (Catcher Creek, #1)
  • My Lord Scandal (Notorious Bachelors, #1)
  • Taken By The Pack (Phases, #1)
  • His to Possess (His to Possess, #1-6)
  • Where the Light Falls
  • How to Marry a Highlander (Falcon Club, #3.5)
  • Skies of Steel (The Ether Chronicles, #3)
  • Bettie Page Presents: The Librarian
  • FREEDOM : The Rake And The Recluse : Part One
  • A Ghostly Undertaking
  • An Affair with Mr. Kennedy (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #1)
  • Somebody to Love (Cupid, Texas, #3)
  • Wicked Little Secrets
I say “true love if full of drama” because 1) that’s been my experience in life and 2) while growing up, everything I learned about love came from Aaron Spelling TV shows and Judith Krantz novels.

My 1920’s novel THE GIN LOVERS (St. Martin's Press) was named by Fresh Fiction named as one of the Top Thirteen Books to read in 2013.My first New Adult novel, RUIN ME, will publish in May.

I also write c...more
More about Jamie Brenner...
The Gin Lovers #2: Little White Lies The Gin Lovers #3: Society Sinners The Gin Lovers #4: Vice or Virtue The Gin Lovers #5: Dangerous Games The Gin Lovers #6: Hell Hath No Fury