Start by marking “The Devil of Echo Lake” as Want to Read:
Open Preview read excerpt

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Tied for 1st place in the 2012 JS writing contest.

Billy Moon would have given his life for rock 'n' roll stardom, but the Devil doesn’t come that cheap.

Goth rock idol Billy Moon has it all: money, fame, and a different girl in every city. But he also has a secret, one that goes all the way back to the night he almost took his own life. The night Trevor Rail, a shadowy reco
Published October 19th 2012 by JournalStone (first published October 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil of Echo Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil of Echo Lake

Charlene
This book has a lot going for it. Ancient evil, witches, Pan, and good old Rock N Roll. How could you go wrong?

As a huge fan of rock music and the blues, I'm on board with the whole Robert Johnson "sold his soul" train. This book was an original twist on that story, with the modern day accoutrements of an evil record producer and an ogre of a music label.

For a while in the middle portion, the pacing slowed down a lot, (technical stuff in the recording studio), but then the story began to get m
Bandit
It's nice that in this day and age of market overabundance of mediocrity, there can still be found books like this. In his debut novel and winner of Journalstone best horror of 2012 award, Douglas Wynne creates a tale of music and horror as compelling as the legend of a certain blues musician selling his soul to the devil at the crossroads that certainly has inspired it. Credit to Wynne, he really changes up midway through what could have been a straight forward faustian tale, throwing angry gho ...more
Katy
Oct 24, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Katy by: Christopher Payne
Book Info: Genre: Dark Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Book Available: October 19, 2012 (just available) in paperback and ebook format
Recommended for: Fans of dark story with overall redemptive themes, rock ‘n’ roll lifestyles, the old gods

My Thoughts: This is a richly atmospheric story. I’ve never heard of this writer before, but he certainly knows how to set a scene to keep the reader flipping those pages – I will definitely be looking to see if he has anything else out there, because I just
Jade Kerrion
Billy Moon is a drugged-up rock star, convinced that he has sold his soul to the devil. Jake is an assistant sound engineer, working insane hours in an industry where stress and overwork are intoxicating, addictive drugs. Trevor Rail, Billy's agent and producer, is an ominous mystery. Is he human or devil? And who invisibly plays the piano in the old chapel? Why does the ghost of a woman haunt the woods? What is the bestial devil that lurks near Echo Lake?

The Devil of Echo Lake is an engrossing,
Brett Talley
This book deserves to be a horror classic, in my view. The Devil of Echo Lake takes the story of Robert Johnson and the crossroads and infuses new, 21st century life into it.

Billy Moon is a rock star in search of a transcendent record. He comes to Echo Lake to pursue that goal, led by a producer who might be the personification of Satan himself. But there’s more than meets the eye to the idyllic lake in the forest, and something may haunt the studio that once was an abandoned church . . .

This bo
Christopher Payne

But he also has a secret, one that goes all the way back to the night he almost took his own life. The night Trevor Rail, a shadowy record producer with a flair for the dark and esoteric, agreed to make him a star. . . for a price.

Now Billy has come to Echo Lake Studios to create the record that will make him a
Krystimeyer
Book Review

Billy Moon has staggered his way to the top of the music charts. His previous two albums were a massive successful, catapulting him to full-fledged rock star status, and he is about to record his third album. The only problem is he isn’t quite sure what to attribute his success to. Is he really that talented, or did he, somehow, manage to sell his soul to the devil along the way?
It certainly is no stretch to imagine Billy’s deranged producer, Trevor Rail, as th
M.T.
The Devil of Echo Lake sounds like a familiar tale: struggling musician sells his soul to the devil in exchange for fame and fortune. However, don't be misled, this story is far more than that, with twists and turns that are really quite inspired. The author's biography states that he has worked in the music industry and I certainly had a sense that he knew what he was talking about when describing Billy Moon's world.

I felt that the protagonist's character was very well developed with enough ins
Linda
Excellent book! I had a hard time putting it down, as evidenced by the fact that I stayed up one "night" till 5:30 AM to finish it. As I read this book, I kept thinking of Joe Hill's character Jude Coyne, another rocker caught up in the turmoil of the rock & roll life. He & Billy Moon could be cousins!

Billy Moon is the icon of the Goth set...handsome, sexy, rich, and able to express every teen-ager's fears & dreams in his music. But does he come by this naturally, or has he sold his
Vickie
I received this book through Library Thing.

The premise is that a rock star wannabe (Billy Moon) sells his soul to the devil and becomes one of the last great rock stars. It's time to make a new album so it's 2 months at Echo Lake Studios, upstate New York. Billy goes on a dark journey, prodded and controlled by Trevor Rail, the producer/devil he's had about enough of.

This story grabbed me right at the start. The other character, Jake, is the poor audio engineer assigned to work with this dysfun
Kathryn Donovan-Freeman
Sep 01, 2012 Kathryn Donovan-Freeman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Great book! I read this whole book without putting it down. Maybe the best form of praise I can give this book is that it is now an excellent movie in my head! The characters and story were so well written that I am missing some of them now that I have finished this book. I find myself hoping that I can meet Billy again..maybe he will by the Echo Lake facility to protect the connection he has to it...maybe other struggling musicians will come there and experience things and Billy will understand ...more
Jean-Paul Adriaansen
This is for sure a good one. Rousing and engrossing from the first to the last page. Not knowing whether or not he made a pact with the devil, Billy, a musician on the verge of suicide, becomes suddenly a super rock star. When he has to record a new album in a studio in Echo Lake, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, he feels that payback is near.
Great read; creepy enough to keep you on the edge of your chair.
Melissa Bryan
OH MY GOD!! I just finished this book and I loved it...It had the right amount of everything in it...a very well balanced booked, I couldn't put it down.
I want to thank the author for giving me the opportunity to read it and review it. It has been a while since I have been able to read a book with such fresh ideas and balance. It keeps you on the edge...I loved the characters...A MUST READ BOOK.
James
Great book. Really engrossing and kinda nasty. Reminded me of what I like about Stephen King and other quick-witted, pop-culture-aware horror writers of that nature.
Laurie
Billy Moon is a rock star, an idol to Goths around the world in the late 1990s. The producer who made him a star, Trevor Rail, holds a contract that requires Moon to create one more album for him. Rail is a creepy dude that no one likes and who scares most people. Moon thinks Rail might just be the devil himself. And now Rail has called in his chip, and takes Moon to a secluded compound in the mountains, with a studio in an old church, to force him to write and record a new album in record time. ...more
Natalie Shannon
I received this book from Library Thing Early Reviewers. The Devil Of Echo Lake by Douglas Wynne from JournalStone Publishing is a slow paced but scary read. The tension builds slowly, then hits you in the face and leaves you terrified by the end. The Devil of Echo Lake is about a rock star name Billy Moon who goes to Echo Lake studios to record an album. Echo Lake Studios used to be a church. A church that has a tainted past.

He is there with his producer Trevor Rail. Trevor Rail is known as "o
Stuart
Did Billy Moon sell his soul to the Devil? Was his career based on being linked to Satan?

As he left a gig depressed and ready to end it all he is picked up by Trevor Rail a promotor who believes he can make him a star. He has hits and goes on World Tours but always wonders how did it all happen? What about the people who were left behind by him and the friends he lost in the house fire that occured?

As his career starts to go downhill his record company link him with Trevor again to make a hit al
Nancy
Decently written take on the "Faust" concept.

Billy Moon thinks he's sold his soul to the Devil, but isn't 100 percent certain. What he IS certain of, is that the price he's paying for the fame and fortune of a rock star is getting too high.

And things will come to a head in an Echo Lake recording studio. Jake Campbell is a recent grad engineer on his way to his first gig - which may be a career maker... Trevor Rail (did anyone else catch "liar" spelled backwards?) is the producer from Hell, and R
Deb
The Devil of Echo Lake is a Dark Mystery

The Devil of Echo Lake by Douglass Wynne is the darkest book I've read in a long time. One that I truly enjoyed more than I expected. The story is about a rock star, Billy Moon, his manager, who may be the Devil incarnate, and their young music engineer as they work to produce Billy's latest hot album. The twists and turns in this story keep you on your toes.

An additional interest in this book for me was the location in the Catskills of NY. I lived there
hihidolly
exceeded expectations.
writing was brilliant and fresh. not a single tired simile - and that's rare. very thankful for it.
so glad I picked this up.
Terence
An engrossing read that went by too quickly. Good characters and plenty of twists to keep you guessing.
Jen
A dark, spooky read. Fast paced. Couldn't put it down!
Frank Errington
Back in June, I got to read The Void by Brett J. Tally, a very good mash-up of Science Fiction and Horror. I gave it 5 of 5 Stars. This week, I got to read The Devil of Echo Lake by Douglas Wynne, which I'm also giving 5 of 5 Stars. What, pray tell, might these two books have in common (other than the fact that they both delivered the goods)? It's their publisher JournalStone Books. They really seem to be putting out some great material. I received both of these as ARC's from LibraryThing.com, a ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
This is an ARC in exchange for honest review:

Billy Moon is about to record his third studio CD with the last man he wants to see Trevor Rail. Billy is pretty afraid of him and how he makes feel. Billy is totally not looking forward to recording yet doesn't have any other options. When Billy's father unexpectedly dies, Billy's world crashes down around him in ways he didn't think possible but does. Billy wants to do a different kind of recording this time around which Trevor nixes right away sayi
Brian Matthews
Billy Moon would have done anything to be a rock legend. And when he meets record producer Trevor Rail, he gets his chance. But if fame at any level worth the cost?

In The Devil of Echo Lake, Douglas Wynne takes the myth of blues man Robert Johnson meeting the Devil at the crossroads of his life and gives it a modern twist. Through solid writing, vivid imagery, and complex characterizations, we follow Moon, along with his producer, the brilliant but erratic Rail, and the recording crew, as they t
Amy
Goth-rock singer Billy Moon is in the depths of despair. The only song idea that comes to him is "Hope Prolongs Misery". After a horrible show at a dank little dive, Billy decides there's nothing left but to kill himself.
Outside on the Tobin bridge,he readies himself to jump into the icy black river, when a black limo pulls up and a door opens. Billy hears his name called; breaking his suicide trance. He gets into the limo and meets Trevor Rail, a producer, who coaxes Billy to give up everyone a
Mark Plackett
I grew up in the 60’s with rock ‘n roll. While I never was personally interested in the life style, over the intervening decades, like all of you, I followed many of my favorites as they crashed and burned. I watched many “bands” start and disappear, and even a few take off on that magic rocket to stardom, or at least fame. THE DEVIL OF ECHO LAKE takes the dream, does a “sell your soul to the devil” mix, adds a little crazy with a groupie, drugs and a violent producer and wow, you have a story. ...more
Releanna
4,5 stars, really!

this is a very suspense-packed thriller-mystery! The characters are vivid and complex. It was very hard to put the book down and I was rather tired at work yesterday, because I was reading so long :)

The theme of "musician sells his soul to the devil to make fantastic music" is old and often used, this version is situated in the here and now and gives a glimpse of studio work, the crazyness of rock-music production, the players are very interesting and there come some surprise e
Rob Errera
I love rock n’ roll horror. It’s an under appreciated subgenre rich with untold stories. There isn’t enough quality musical fiction out there. Joe Hill’s Heart Shaped Box is an obvious exception. Anne Rice’s Vampire Lestat fronted a rock band in The Queen of the Damned, as did the pre-emo bloodsucker of S.P. Somtow’s Vampire Junction. Stephen King, Peter Straub and Gary Braunbeck have all made excellent contributions to musical literature, and don’t forget Jeff Gelb’s Shock Rock anthologies.

Doug
Harald Maier
Ich bezog das Buch im Rahmen meines "Festa-Abos" und hatte beim Lesen des Klappentextes keine hohen Erwartungen, Horror im Musikgeschäft, verkaufte Seele, irgendwie nichts neues. Um so erfreuter war ich über den klaren und eingängigen Schreibstil des Autors, der mir es sehr leicht machte einen schnellen Einstieg in das Buch zu finden. Wynne spielt hervorragend mit den Erzählperspektiven seiner Akteure, ihren Wünschen, Hoffnungen und Einstellungen. Damit ragt der Roman über die "normale" Horrorko ...more
  • The Donors
  • Forever Man
  • Dead Reflections
  • Shaman's Blood
  • Only the Thunder Knows – East End Girls
Douglas Wynne is the author of the rock n roll horror novel The Devil of Echo Lake, which was a first place winner of JournalStone's 2012 Horror Fiction contest. He lives in Massachusetts with his wife and son and spends most of his time hanging out with a pack of dogs when he isn’t writing, playing guitar, or swinging a sword.
More about Douglas Wynne...
Steel Breeze The Last Chord Lovecraft eZine - April 2013 - Issue 23

“Love and Death? What has great music or poetry ever been about, but those twin forces that undo a man?” 0 likes