Start by marking “Craving” as Want to Read:
Craving

Craving (The Apocalyptic Series #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  31 reviews
When Lilith Pierce's younger sister commits suicide, Lilith consoles herself with cleaning up Eva's final mess. But when she returns to the coroner's office to collect the body, she finds that the last few days were all a bizarre waking dream that never actually happened. Aided by the detective who witnesses her brush with the paranormal, she tears apart her sister's shado ...more
Published October 12th 2012 by JournalStone (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Craving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Craving

Lis
I read this book over about a week and there were times when I was glad I was cooped up on an plane so I could keep reading it. I was attracted by the paranormal slant but was also happily surprised by the detective novel angle - not my normal genre but I really enjoyed it - I found myself thinking about the last couple of chapters I'd read every time I stopped reading, trying to work out what was going to happen next. I never did figure it out ahead of time. I really enjoyed the philosophy thre ...more
Katy
Oct 25, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Katy by: LTER
I first read in May 2013. I am re-reading it prior to reading the sequel, The One We Feed.

Book Info: Genre: Dark Urban Fantasy/Metaphysical Thriller
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Anyone to whom it appeals
Trigger Warnings: violence, murder, suicide

My Thoughts: This is a very strange—but absolutely amazing—book, full of mysteries and hallucinations. The reader never quite knows if something is really happening or not, which can lead to a bit of confusion at times, but the story is beautifull
Jade Kerrion
In Craving, Lilith Pierce unpacks the mystery behind her younger sister's suicide. In the process, she meets characters whose pasts are shrouded in mystery, and encounters ancient cults dominated by people who can live indefinitely. The deeper she digs, the bigger the mess, and worse, she's changing...but into what?

Craving is an excellent paranormal novel. The premise is unique and original, and the writing is strong. Kristina Meister challenges the (hazy) boundaries of philosophy and religion.
Special Guest
Craving is, overall, a relatively diverting fantasy novel with some refreshing takes on vampiric folklore and the combinations of myths and science. However - and perhaps due to choosing a subject less covered in this kind of fantasy - I felt that it suffered a little from too much reliance on the mythology and philosophy which underpinned the storyline, rather than the story itself. There were times in which scenes were bogged down by unnecessary exposition. Several of characters too, often fel ...more
Nichole  ~~The Grey Lady~~
I had a real hard time getting into this book. I found it confusing and not worth the effort of trying to figure it out. The character of Lilith was irritating and unlikable. The word that kept coming to me when I was reading this was: bland. It had a lot of promise, but just fell short for me.
Melodylove
New twist! I loved it! Deep philosophy and not what i expected
Chandni
There is only one thing that really bugs me about books. I get infuriated when books aren't consistent throughout. I don't care if a book is terrible from the beginning to end as long as it's consistent. I've read some terrible books that I actually enjoyed more than this one.

This book starts off incredibly strong. I started this book in the middle of the day, but I found the first two chapters to be really creepy. It was a promising start with a "who-dunnit" kind of premise. The writing was fan
Debbie Heaton
In Meister’s paranormal novel, Lilith Pierce’s younger sister commits suicide, and following a visit to the coroner’s office to collect the body she quickly discovers that the last several days were all a dream that never actually happened.

Aided by a detective who witnesses her brush with the paranormal, she looks carefully into her sister’s shadowy life. After reading hundreds of Eva’s detailed journals Lilith still has no explanation or suicide note. Her search becomes an obsession that brings
Heather
“Craving” by Kristina Meister captured my interest with the blurb on the back and the image on the cover. I was drawn into the book easily when I began it… but about half-way through I found myself losing focus and wanting to skip ahead.
The main character of this book, Lilith Pierce, was a sympathetic character when she finds out that her younger sister committed suicide and Lilith flies out to where her younger sister lived to clean out her apartment and take care of her affairs. When she gets
Stuart
After the death by suicide of her sister Lilleth Pierce arrives to get answers. However from the start she gets more questions and confusion thrown at her than she knows how to deal with.

How can she have met the the detective assigned to her sisters death and arrive there just as the body comes in. How can she seem to know everything that is going to happen before it occurs and who is the stranger at her sister funeral?

As the truth unfolds she gets deeper and deeper into the murky past of the lo
David
This book is similar in many ways to Karen Marie Moning's "Fever" series. This is a very good thing because I loved that series. The protagonist, Lilith, begins as an unwilling participant in several very strange events and gradually realizes she has special powers. I won't spoil the plot by providing much more than that but suffice it to say that Lilith gets into, and out of, a lot of potentially deadly situations and along the way learns who and what she is becoming. There are lots of referenc ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Craving is a fantasy novel with plenty of twists and turns. The story delves into Zen ,Buddhism and Philosophy. Lily travels to settle her sisters affairs after her death. And discovers through her sisters journals the evil events surrounding her death. Lily uses her gift of clairvoyance to discover that her sisters death involved foul play. a truly fantastic read I look forward to reading more books by Kristina Meister.
Jennifer Woodford
A very different and dark book written in first person but easy to follow. The story delves into philosophy, Zen and Buddhism while masterfully using imagery to paint a surreal and dark fantasy.

Lily who travels to settles her sister's affairs discovers through his sister's journals the mysterious evil events surrounding her sister's death. Using her gift of clairvoyance Lily soon discovers that foul play was at hand.
Kathryn
Craving is a well-written novel with many unexpected twists and turns that leave the reader wanting more. Everything in this novel is apart from the norm, including the interesting characters and the surprising sets of circumstances in which they find themselves. Although the vampire theme has been popular lately, Craving puts a new spin on an old tale which allows the reader a new perspective of the darker force.
Melissa
Very, very interesting. A rather unique way of creating immortal beings (view spoiler) Also, at least as far as I can tell not being a Buddhist myself, very Buddhist.

A woman comes to deal with the aftereffects of her sister's suicide, and then... things go very, very strange. Well, they even *start out* fairly strange.
Victoria Scott
CRAVING is a deliciously dark story. This is truly one of the most unique stories I've ever read. Meister is an expert at weaving a suspenseful paranormal ride for her readers, and knows how and where to add unexpected thrills. Make sure you pick this book up and the highly-anticipated sequel, THE ONE WE FEED.
Kim
Well written, good adventure, and an excellent philosophical journey! An entertaining read for anyone with an open mind.
Christopher Payne
When Lilith Pierce’s younger sister commits suicide, Lilith consoles herself with cleaning up Eva’s final mess. But when she returns to the coroner’s office to collect the body, she finds that the last few days were all a bizarre waking dream that never actually happened.

Aided by the detective who witnesses her brush with the paranormal, she tears apart her sister’s shadowy new life. Yet after reading hundreds of Eva’s detailed journals Lilith still has no explanation and no suicide note. Her se
Colleen
"...so I finished Craving quite a while ago, but sitting here and thinking about it to write this has brought the story and the character pretty easily to the front of my mind again. The philosophy/spiritualism is a little on the heavy side for some, I think, so it would certainly not be everyone's cup of tea; it wasn't preachy exactly, but if you're looking for more of a "mindless" read to just kick back and get through, I don't think I'd recommend this one.

That being said, I rather enjoyed Cra
Pamela K.
I recieved this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers.

After Eva commits suicide, her sister Lilith come to town for her property. Only to be drawn into a crazy, complex world of Buddism & vampiric creatures. With the help of some new friends, she discovers Eva's strange new life and why she took her life.

At first the story interested me. It seemed like it was gonna be a great mystery/detective story. When the vampiric creatures and Buddism came into it, I seemed to lose interest. I lik
Cyn
Maybe 2.5 stars. I received an ARC of this book on LibraryThing and it took me ages to read. Mostly because it wasn't all that engaging - especially after it really got started. It began okay, and the author has skill with words, but like another reviewer said, "it suffered a little from too much reliance on the mythology and philosophy which underpinned the storyline, rather than the story itself."

I never expected the book to feel so ... meandering, trying too hard to make Buddhism blend well i
Monique
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a unique and interesting take on the traditional paranormal novel! Ms Meister combines Buddhism and myth origination with elements of the supernatural and psychic abilities. There are plenty of twists throughout the book; unfortunately, once you've gotten into the swing of how things work in this world, most of those twists seem fairly predictable. There are a few places where the exposition is a bit too much, but it's rather to be ex
Dale
Lilith Pierce is struggling with divorce and the relationship with her sister Eva. After Eva’s apparent suicide, Lilith enters a journey that will reveal the truth about her sister and change her views on life and death.

Craving is a read that’s entrenched in philosophy and Buddhism that redefined this subgenre for me. The characters are fresh,entertaining and sometimes mystifying. Author Kristina Meister is able to delve deep into philosophy while still keeping the story entertaining and managea
Leslie
3.5 stars.

I had a really hard time finishing this book, it doesn't usually take me nearly 2 weeks to read a book. There were good as well as bad things in this book. I liked the characters alright, and the plot was pretty original and intersting. What I didn't like was the buddha,zen,philosophy. It was a little much at times, and I didn't understand half of the book. I really enjoyed the last 5 chapters, that's when things really started to happen.
Alan
I really enjoyed the opening of the book and with a twist to the traditional vampire and immortal sagas I really was looking forward to the rest of the read. Sadly however midway into the book the story lulled and only picked up again in the last few closing chapters. I did find the swearing unnecessary and while the Christian referenced blasphemy was only occasional it was completely out of place in a story that focused on Zen and Buddhism.
Steve
A thoroughly intriguing story with fascinating philosophical concepts mostly Buddhist). Interesting characters, unexpected story turns and a fresh take on a contemporary genre. Got a bit bogged down in the middle but persevere because it returns to form. I didn't know what to expect of this book and was pleasantly surprised with its intelligence and entertainment value. Don't read anything with spoilers!!
Amber House
Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was a good story and had things that made you think. A lot of it was based in Buddhism, which I'm not familiar with, so it was difficult to follow at times. I did enjoy the twists in the storyline and was glad to be able to read this as a first reads winner.
Jill
first reads book. I'm having to put this book on the back burner so I can get caught up on my college class readings. It's been an interesting book in a good way and am looking forward to finishing it in the next week or two.
Tricia
I LOVED this book. Few books surprise me any more and this one did. I suggest you ignore the Publisher's Weekly Review and try it for yourself.
Linda Gwiazdowski
  • Bull Running for Girls
  • The Donors
  • Pazuzu's Girl
  • Priestess of the Eggstone
  • Special Dead (Twice Shy, Book II)
  • The Eye Unseen
  • Nightmare Ballad
  • The Pentacle Pendant
  • Jokers Club
  • Dead Reflections
  • Women Scorned
  • Imperial Hostage (Destruction, #1)
The One We Feed

“Ignorance is the source of improper conduct.” 2 likes
“A man cannot conceal joy," I said, though I wasn't sure where it was coming from, "because joy undoes deceit. What I have, I will share, because I must. There is no other choice.” 1 likes