Start by marking “Chorus of the Dead (A Peter Ainsley Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chorus of the Dead (A Peter Ainsley Mystery, #1)

Chorus of the Dead (A Marshall House Mystery #1)

1867 - Morgue surgeon at one of London's most prestigious hospitals, Dr. Peter Ainsley is familiar with the smells of the dead and the dying but when the brilliant, young doctor is summoned to a small English town in the north his ability to keep his patients at a cold, comfortable distance is put to the test.

Convinced the untimely death of a twelve year old girl, Josephin
ebook, First
Published July 12th 2012 by Willow Hill House

To ask other readers questions about Chorus of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chorus of the Dead

Just Deborah
I hate being a book critic

I am required to tell you that I received this book free from the author in return for an honest review. That being said, how honest do you think people who receive free books really are? Not that honest if they want to continue getting free books (authors gossip worse then fish-wives). I am always afraid that people won't trust the review, because it's a free book. And I would hate to discourage a potentially good future writer, just because one book didn't hit the mar
Doris Vandruff
Nov 03, 2014 Doris Vandruff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book one of the Peter Ainsley Mystery Books. I was asked to read and review this book. I would have read this book anyway, because it did attract my attention. Dr. Ainsley is told to go to a neighboring town and help Dr. Bennett. Dr Bennett has a young girl that has died a horrible and painful death. Her sister Lillian, is also very ill with the same symptoms. The oldest sister has not yet shown any signs of illness. Dr. Bennett fears that the cause of the illness and death may be poison ...more
Casey Jansen jones
A solid start to a compelling Victorian Gothic mystery series! I read all 3 books in the series in 5 days-- devoured them!! I was reminded of PB Ryan's Nell Sweeney series- a favorite of mine. Love the setting, adore the characters and the mystery, as well as the process, was well-executed.
Jayne dArcy
Nov 24, 2016 Jayne dArcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good introduction to the series. I cannot wait to read the other 4 in the 5 book series. I have bought them for my Kindle for Christmas.

In this story we are introduced to morgue surgeon Dr. Peter Ainsley of 1867. There is very little respect for his chosen profession but when it is needed there are many who demand his help.

A poisoning brings the good doctor to the attention of a family that is caught by society's strings and their own secrets. In order to save the lovely Lillian
Susan
Jan 26, 2017 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
November 1867, London - and Dr. Peter Ainsley is asked to visit Picklow, in Norfolk to help a Dr. Bennett to explain the death of Josephine Lloyd, and help in the diagnosis of another daughter Lillian. Can Ainsley stop the deaths and who is the guilty party.
An entertaining tale with some interesting characters which I look forward to read about in the next book.
Jess Schira
I liked this book well enough that I fully intend to read the second book in the series at some point, however I wasn’t so enamored with it that I feel compelled to binge read the series.

Good points of this book include:

• The author has done an admirable job creating characters that should sustain a series. I’m particularly fond of Jonas and Margret.
• It’s very well plotted.
• If you like grisly reads, there’s plenty of bodily fluids and dissections
• There’s lots of creepy foreshadowing.
• Flawed
Rob Cohen
Jan 19, 2015 Rob Cohen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am sorry to say that this book just didn't do it for me. I wanted to like it, but after about 50 pages I found I was forcing myself to finish it because I didn't want an unfinished book on my shelf already. It was a lot like a couple of other books I have read. I like more of the grit and grime and suspense-- this was truly like the movie Gosford Park (which was a terrific movie) -- more about society and the upper class and less about the mystery and suspense.
Kimberly
Dec 03, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I initially started this book with a great deal of enthusiasm. Intriguing characters and setting. However, the numerous grammatical and editing errors provided a distraction. The last half of the book really dragged but I kept plugging along hoping it would get better. I had figured out the culprit about 75% of the way in but decided to finish the book hoping there would be a twist. I will not be continuing with this series.
Candy
Nov 18, 2014 Candy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free for writing a honest review.

Dr. Peter Ainsley is familiar with the dead, it is his living but sick patients that he has trouble with. He is sent to to assist a local physician with the untimely death of a young girl. Dr. Ainsley believes that poison is the method that killed the young girl, but receives no assistance from the girl's family. Fantastic book that will surprise you in the end.

Kathleen
Aug 17, 2014 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A very solid 3.5 stars. This was a fast read because it kept me reading. I agree with Casey's reveiw that they also reminded me of the Nell Sweeney mysteries that I also loved. I really enjoyed meeting the new characters in this book. I am holding back my fourth star because I felt like the motive of the murderer wasn't fully fleshed out. I have already moved on to the second in this series!
Mina Zalnasky
Nov 02, 2014 Mina Zalnasky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reeled me in from the first page. I received it free in exchange for an honest review. Found it fantastic. Love the time period and the hero, Peter Ainsley, is superb. Definitely going to read the other books in this series.
Crystalablackhotmail.com
Loved it. I like that it is a period piece but does not go on and on with descriptions of everything to make you believe the author knows about that time period. It gives enough description to explain the time and scene but doesn't make you want to skip pages. Very interesting main character.
Dawn Moon
Nov 20, 2014 Dawn Moon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a great read.

Solid characters and well developed story line. I would recommend to all who enjoy thrillers. I received this book free for giving a fair and honest review.
Betty Bertrand
Nov 08, 2014 Betty Bertrand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read!

I like medical mysteries and especially historical mysteries. This book kept my attention throughout. I also enjoyed the side stories that contributed to the characters.
Bibliobee
Dec 28, 2013 Bibliobee rated it it was ok
Rife with historical inaccuracies and an aggressively obvious mystery, Chorus of the Dead, by Tracy L. Ward, still manages to entertain. A guilty pleasure.
Mary G.
A very nice beginning to an interesting series.
Carol Bisig
It was a little gruesome for me. However, it is well written and excellent research went into the book.
Gerolyn thatcher
Gerolyn thatcher rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Elke
Elke rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
tom haydon
tom haydon rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2013
RuthAnne Norman
RuthAnne Norman rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2015
Donna J. Belvin
Donna J. Belvin rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Onedia
Onedia rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
margaretSGreenplate
margaretSGreenplate rated it it was ok
May 07, 2015
Fran Nunez
Fran Nunez rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
CAROLYN LINDSEY
CAROLYN LINDSEY rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Enter Second Murderer (Inspector Faro, #1)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Theft of Life (Crowther and Westerman, #5)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • Murder on the Cliffs: A Daphne du Maurier Mystery (Daphne du Maurier Mysteries, #1)
  • The Dream Thief: An Extraordinary Horatio Lyle Mystery
  • The Thief-Taker (Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner #1)
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)
  • The Study of Murder (Muirteach MacPhee Mystery #3)
  • A Useful Woman (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries #1)
  • Murder at Westminster Abbey (Elizabethan Mysteries, #2)
  • A Parliament of Spies (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #4)
  • The Vital Principle (Second Sons, #1)
  • The Queene's Christmas (Elizabeth I, #6)
  • A Shrine of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #1)
  • Murder by Misrule (Francis Bacon Mystery #1)
  • Hue and Cry (Hew Cullan Mystery, #1)
A former journalist and graduate from Humber College's School for Writers, Tracy Ward has been hard at work developing her favourite protagonist, Peter Ainsley, and chronicling his adventures as a young surgeon in Victorian England. Her first book featuring Peter Ainsley, titled CHORUS OF THE DEAD, was released in July 2012 and her second book, DEAD SILENT was released May 2013. Both are available ...more
More about Tracy L. Ward...

A Marshall House Mystery (4 books)
  • Dead Silent (A Marshall House Mystery, #2)
  • The Dead Among Us (A Marshall House Mystery, #3)
  • Sweet Asylum (A Marshall House Mystery Book 4)