Start by marking “Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading” as Want to Read:
Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading

Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Learn everything you need to know to implement an integrated system of assessment and grading that will enhance your teaching and your students’ learning. Dr. Robert J. Marzano details the specific benefits of formative assessment—assessment that is used during instruction rather than at the end of a course or unit. He explains how to design and interpret three different t...more
Published November 11th 2009 by Solution Tree (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading

Amanda Roenicke
This really shaped my beliefs about the role of assessment in the classroom. It was an uncomfortable change, yet I believe that moving to a standards-based model is more ethical and better for students.
Jane
I very much admire Marzano's work, but this book was in some ways too basic and in many ways unnecessarily technical.
Stephanie
Over the summer I went to Las Vegas for a JEA Advisers Institute. It was pretty awesome. Chris and I went a couple of days early and we played around and then when he left it was time for some learning.

One of the best sessions I attended was one about Systematic Grading presented by Sandra Coyer. If you are a teacher or know a teacher or read the news to learn about education you know that standards-based grading, common-core standards, holistic scoring, grading for learning, essential learning...more
Sharon
While on the surface this book presents some very practical and useful strategies for assessment, I am finding that when the rubber hits the pavement there are some issues that Marzano seems to identify as unacceptable and that in my experience are almost unavoidable. I bought this book and sever others of Marzano's after hearing him speak several months ago on the topics presented in this text of formative assessments. In creating my own assessments with questions at level 2, 3, and 4 of comple...more
Kathy
3.5 A very solid technical manual for standards-based assessment. There are more specific books just on formative assessment that would be a better place to start if that is your area of interest. however, nothing beats Marzano for detail and specific instructions when it come to fair and reliable grading systems. Our current computer program for reporting wouldn't support a standards-based report...but I have a clear idea now of what we can work toward.
Michael Heneghan
It took half a year or so ( or more!), but i finally finished this one. If you teach, you know who Marzano is and how respected he is in the field of educational research. This book makes me think that respect is deserved. Marzano goes in depth about what formative assessment is--and importantly, what it is not--and standards based grading. I am am interested in both, but the former is what prompted me to pick up this book. It has affected the way i assess my students, so, in my view, this was a...more
Dean
Alex Meeres
Apr 14, 2013 Alex Meeres rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers, principals, superintendents of curriculum & instruction
Shelves: education
I liked Marzano's presentation of research in the area of formative assessment, and he has some sensible ideas about organizing assessment data. In some cases, though, it seemed as though his different tiers of assessment differed according to category more than complexity. I do not feel Marzano sufficiently answered the question, "What evidence should be used for a final grade," either. I might use some of what this book offers, but it is not a comprehensive book on the subject.
Monta
I'm still struggling a bit with standards based grading. This book talked about it, but a lot of the book was specifically how to implement it--with reviews and worksheets and reproducibles. Definitely more a how-to than a discussion about it, though the first chapter was research and theory. If you're a teacher looking into standards based assessment, this might not be a bad read.
Holly VanSkike
This book was great! I read it to learn how to implement standards-based grading in my classroom. I feel like it told me exactly what I needed to know to get started!
DebiReads
While this book offers some strategies for record keeping and rationales for the superiority of formative assessment and standards based grading, I am left feeling unready to implement such changes without distorting the intent.
Stuart Macalpine
Very US-based, particularly in the association between the 4.0 scale of grading and standards-based assessment. But some excellent data on effect sizes of feedback and a useful source book for standards-based assessment.
Valerie
I felt like there were some really interesting points on how to creat and score CFAs. Since we are new to CFA creation in my district it offered some good insight!
Angela Brewington
I loved this book!!!!! The author gives plenty of examples and moves you step-by-step on how to make this change in the way grading happens in a classroom.
Cheryl
Extremely boring, and supremely unhelpful...if I could give this zero stars, I would! Don't waste your money on this one.
Michael
Another logical and well organized framework for quality instruction. A wonderful companion book to O'Connor's 15 fixes.
Kathy Conley
I felt like this was pretty basic information, but relevant to changes in grading and assessments.
Espio
Espio marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Colby
Colby marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Dan Dealba
Dan Dealba marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Min Min
Min Min is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2014
Lara
Lara added it
Oct 12, 2014
Sasha Cameron
Sasha Cameron marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Marinna
Marinna marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction Classroom Management That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Every Teacher School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results Building Academic Vocabulary: Teacher's Manual