Start by marking “Long Ride Home (Cambio Springs #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Long Ride Home (Cambio Springs #0.5)

Long Ride Home (Cambio Springs 0.5)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The first story in the new paranormal series by Elizabeth Hunter, acclaimed author of the Elemental Mysteries.

Welcome to Cambio Springs.

In this small desert town, secrets bubble up from the desert floor, and history is written on the canyon walls. Seven friends will gather at the crossroads, because in Cambio Springs, everything—and everyone—changes.

Jena Crowe escaped the...more
Published July 19th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Long Ride Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Ride Home

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
"Welcome to Cambio Springs"

[image error]

Jena Crowe, a young woman after experiencing a devastating loss, returns to the home she thought had left behind forever. With her two sons and accompanied by her husband's ghost, she goes back to Cambio Springs, the town she abandoned 10 years ago.

For the sake of her boys, to give them some time to heal, she makes a road trip out of it. But that's what she tells herself. The truth is that she is afraid of coming back and she doesn't want to stop seeing L...more
Kathleen
3.5 stars. My first encounter with this author, Elizabeth Hunter. Decided to start with the short prequel to her new Cambio Springs series. It's a quick read, about 25 pages. Nothing much happens, really.

Jena Crowe, darkly stunning with some Native American ancestry, is driving from Oregon to Cambio Springs, located in the Mojave Desert of Southern California. In the back seat, her two sons: Lowell Jr., age 8, and Aaron, called Bear, age 5. In the passenger seat, her husband's ashes rest in an...more
Douglas Meeks
Long Ride Home: A Cambio Springs Short StoryLong Ride Home: A Cambio Springs Short Story by Elizabeth Hunter

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sad, Intense, Short and Poignant -Excellent Short Story, July 28, 2012
By Douglas C. Meeks

This review is from: Long Ride Home: A Cambio Springs Short Story (Kindle Edition)
Well what can you say about a short story like this? When it is Elizabeth Hunter it can compact a ton of emotion and unsaid things. This was an almost perfect example of how to reach your reader emotionally and leave them wanting more. This...more
Melindeeloo
I have to say that this Cambio Springs prequel short story really surprised me. Having read her longer works, I had thought that Hunter's strength was the thorough but gradual development of her characters and their relationships. Well, I just discovered that Hunter can also do the same thing but in a really short amount of space - and totally yank at the reader's heartstrings while doing it. I am a short story fan and Long Ride Home was a really good one that has stoked my anticipation for the...more
Liz
I loved Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental Mysteries series and this short story shows a promising start to her new Cambio Springs novels.
Emily
this story made me cry. it is heart wrenching and yet full of promise. can't wait to read the rest of jena's story
Paul Berry
Long Ride Home by Elizabeth Hunter

This is a short story by Paranormal writer Elizabeth Hunter! This is the prequel too The Cambio Springs!

As soon as I started reading Long Ride Home I was captivated by the writing of this author. You first learn that Jena's husband Lowell has already passed away and she has lost the true love of her life. Once you realize that Lowell is now a ghost and travelling in the car with her and her two boys on her way back too her hometown too start over. You don't wan...more
Ann Dobby-Thomas
A very short novella into the paranormal world of shapeshifters....

Jena is driving her 2 sons to Cambio Springs after the death of her husband - while she talks to his ghost who is along for the ride. She has to start over where they will be safe and protected among their own kind. And once she gets there, she turns into a __________. You'll have to read it! Looking forward to starting this series :)
Virginia Hill
Long Ride Home is a short story that is anything but short on story. Within the twenty-five pages is conversation so poignant between Jena and her husband, Lowell, that I couldn't help feeling overcome with a profound sense of what they had lost as a couple with his predetermined death. For even in death, Low was a remarkable character. His ghostly wisdom and the love he felt for Jena and their sons transcended his mortal being. I think what I love most about Elizabeth Hunter's writing is her ab...more
Shelley
this short story about a widow returning to her childhood home with two young children was sharp, with skill at development and even more skill at tempting the reader to find the next in the series!!!

Jena grieves for her dead husband and her pain was described so powerfully that, probably for the first time ever, I wanted to cry for a character's loss. There is a depth here that surprised me in so short a story; I have to read the next in the series because I already like this lonely, grieving w...more
Stephanie Carr
I think I cried through most of the 67 pages of this book. It was very good and I can not wait to start the next 1.
Anna Maling
This little novella will have you in tears, and is the perfect start to the series
Kim Howard
A good start to a new series. This short story led in nicely to the full story called "Shifting Dreams". If you enjoyed Elizabeth Hunter's storytelling's from her Elemental World series, you won't be disappointed.
*flora*
How can such a short story be so engaging?! I loved it!
I already feel connected to Jena Crowe and love her 2 boys Low Jnr & Aaron. Cambio Springs has me intrigued & I want to read more...
Belkis
Loved this short and intense introduction to what appears to be another great series hit by Elizabeth Hunter. I absolutely loved it. How did she mange to get me all choked up with such a small tasting of what's to come. So much emotion. Such perfectly written sorrow and love in Jena and Lowell's goodbyes during their three day trek back home. I can't wait for this new series to release a full book so I can dive into it. So far have read no loved all of Elizabeth Hunter's books and this one is no...more
A too short prequel that will, more than likely, make you cry and be grateful that the first in the Cambio Springs series is available already. It introduces us to the Crowe family - Jenna driving 'home' to Cambio and taking the time to adjust to life without her husband.
Beautifully written and wonderfully emotive, you'll be jumping for Shifting Dreams as soon as you finish wiping the tears off your cheeks.
Pia
I was planning on reading Shifting Dreams, when I noticed it had this short prequel, and decided to read this first (not expecting too much of it, because of the format).
But this is one of few short stories that drew me in right away, and made me care about all of the characters after only 1 short chapter. Very touching read, that left me hungry to learn more about Jena and the town she went back to.
Laura Laporta
I love this. I can't wait for the release of the full length novel. It was so easy to feel Jenna's emotions. I was reading this while sitting at a restaurant waiting for a table to open up, and I had to stop reading! I had tears in my eyes! The ending was surprising - but not...not once I put it all together. Very excited for the full length!
DL
I had read the first chapter in the Shifting Dreams novel where this is a pre-novella so I understood what was happening. It is a good little story all on its own, however I believe it made the story better for me since I knew what was happening.
Gwen Popen
As always, Ms. Hunter wowed me. Even though it was a short story it was just enough. So much emotion in 25 pages. I will start the series soon. This was just a taste but it was enough to catch my attention.
Shenique Burke
I loved that it gave a little prelude to the story, however, I gave it 3 stars because this didn't need to be a stand alone for purchase. This could have been a simple prologue to the novel.
Autumn Review
Elizabeth Hunter is one of my very favorite paranormal authors. I was excited to see this new series. I really liked Jena and look forward to getting to know more about her and her story.
Mindy
This was a good short story, though it was really short. Still I got a good feel for the main character. I can't wait to read the first book of the series. Waiting on the budget!
Paula
A wonderful short story that does what it was aiming at....makes me curious for the first book in the series.
Elizabeth Hunter again proves that she is a shining star of literature.
Mark Carl
I'm intrigued, but this short story/intro to the Cambio Springs series didn't pull me in so deeply that I wanted to click right on the first full-length novel in the series.
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
I don't know if I'm annoyed or impressed that a 20-something page novella had me boo-hooing on 2 (possibly 3) separate occasions. Probably impressed . . .
Beth
This is just an introduction book to a series coming out next year. After reading this I cannot wait for the series to come out! I love Elizabeth Hunter!
Merideth
Read this after reading book one. I cried all the way threw this book. It is classic EH emotional all the way. a nice short story
Mollie♡JAMMF♡
I could tell I was gonna ball my eyes out within the first two pages. I can't wait for the full novel. I know I'll love it.
  • Strange Case (Hyde, #3)
  • An Ill-Advised Rescue Part 1 (Kate Daniels)
  • The Djinn's Dilemma
  • Upon a Winter's Night (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3.5)
  • Hunted (Vampires in America, #6.5)
  • Eater of Lives (Spectr, #4)
  • A Vampire's Christmas Carol
  • Hearts of Fire (Deadglass, #0.5)
  • The Wicked (Elder Races, #5.5)
  • Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • Curran; On the Day of the Panty Dinner: Part 1 (Curran POV, #6)
  • A Million Miles Away (Angel Interceptors #1)
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Gabriel
  • Immoral: Tales of a Vampire Hunter (#1)
  • Risking Eternity (Heavenly Lovers, #1)
  • Giving Up the Ghost (13 Shades of Red, #1)
  • Lucky's Charms
Elizabeth Hunter is a contemporary fantasy and romance author. She is a graduate of the University of Houston Honors College in the Department of English (Linguistics) and a former English teacher.

She currently lives in Central California with a seven-year-old ninja who claims to be her child. She enjoys reading, writing, travel, and bowling (despite the fact that she’s not very good at it.) Somed...more
More about Elizabeth Hunter...
A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1) This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2) The Force of Wind (Elemental Mysteries, #3) A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries #4) Building From Ashes (Elemental World, #1)