Start by marking “Long Ride Home (Cambio Springs #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Long Ride Home (Cambio Springs #0.5)

Long Ride Home (Cambio Springs 0.5)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  760 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The first story in the new paranormal series by Elizabeth Hunter, acclaimed author of the Elemental Mysteries.

Welcome to Cambio Springs.

In this small desert town, secrets bubble up from the desert floor, and history is written on the canyon walls. Seven friends will gather at the crossroads, because in Cambio Springs, everything—and everyone—changes.

Jena Crowe escaped the
Published July 19th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Long Ride Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Ride Home

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
"Welcome to Cambio Springs"

[image error]

Jena Crowe, a young woman after experiencing a devastating loss, returns to the home she thought had left behind forever. With her two sons and accompanied by her husband's ghost, she goes back to Cambio Springs, the town she abandoned 10 years ago.

For the sake of her boys, to give them some time to heal, she makes a road trip out of it. But that's what she tells herself. The truth is that she is afraid of coming back and she doesn't want to stop seeing
Kathleen
3.5 stars. My first encounter with this author, Elizabeth Hunter. Decided to start with the short prequel to her new Cambio Springs series. It's a quick read, about 25 pages. Nothing much happens, really.

Jena Crowe, darkly stunning with some Native American ancestry, is driving from Oregon to Cambio Springs, located in the Mojave Desert of Southern California. In the back seat, her two sons: Lowell Jr., age 8, and Aaron, called Bear, age 5. In the passenger seat, her husband's ashes rest in an
Douglas Meeks
Jul 28, 2012 Douglas Meeks rated it it was amazing
Long Ride Home: A Cambio Springs Short StoryLong Ride Home: A Cambio Springs Short Story by Elizabeth Hunter

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sad, Intense, Short and Poignant -Excellent Short Story, July 28, 2012
By Douglas C. Meeks

This review is from: Long Ride Home: A Cambio Springs Short Story (Kindle Edition)
Well what can you say about a short story like this? When it is Elizabeth Hunter it can compact a ton of emotion and unsaid things. This was an almost perfect example of how to reach your reader emotionally and leave them wanting more. This
Melindeeloo
Oct 02, 2012 Melindeeloo rated it it was amazing
I have to say that this Cambio Springs prequel short story really surprised me. Having read her longer works, I had thought that Hunter's strength was the thorough but gradual development of her characters and their relationships. Well, I just discovered that Hunter can also do the same thing but in a really short amount of space - and totally yank at the reader's heartstrings while doing it. I am a short story fan and Long Ride Home was a really good one that has stoked my anticipation for the ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
I don't know if I'm annoyed or impressed that a 20-something page novella had me boo-hooing on 2 (possibly 3) separate occasions. Probably impressed . . .

My other reviews for this series:

Shifting Dreams (Cambio Springs, #1)
Five Mornings: A Cambio Springs Short Story (Cambio Springs, #1.5)
Desert Bound (Cambio Springs, #2)
Waking Hearts (Cambio Springs, #3)
Thenia
Oct 29, 2014 Thenia rated it really liked it
An introduction to Jena Crowe and Cambio Springs, the hometown she's returning to with her two young sons after her husband's death.

I had no idea what the story was about when I read it and I found it heartbreaking and intriguing, especially considering the way it ended!

I look forward to learning more about Jena in the first book of the series, Shifting Dreams.
Roslyn
Oct 15, 2015 Roslyn rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story. I have no idea if the series of which it is a part is as good as this, but now I want to read more by this author. The writing was clean and lyrical and the story was intriguing and warming. I've been feeling a bit jaded lately about urban fantasy/paranormal and this gave me a pleasant surprise.
SheLove2Read
Jun 20, 2015 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
That was unexpected. I had no idea I'd start this 25 page short story and end up a sobbing, snotty mess. My chest hurts. Elizabeth Hunter definitely has a way with words.
Mitticus
Introductorio a la serie, Jenna, viuda, conduce de regreso al hogar de su infancia con sus dos hijos pequeños de 5 y 8 años, mientras recuerda cosas de su marido.

He crossed his arms. Arms that had once held her tightly. Held their sons. Thrown darts at their favorite pub in college. Arms that had carried her name. The boys’ names. Favorite verses and patterns tattooed permanently onto all too un-permanent skin.
“I miss your arms, Low.”
“I miss your everything.”

Mucho sentimiento, e indicios de q
Shelby
Oct 23, 2015 Shelby rated it really liked it
For 25 pages this was overwhelmingly heart wrenching. I look forward to the series.
Liz
Mar 16, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: para-norm, mystery, short
I loved Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental Mysteries series and this short story shows a promising start to her new Cambio Springs novels.
Emily
Sep 26, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
this story made me cry. it is heart wrenching and yet full of promise. can't wait to read the rest of jena's story
Gay Media Review
Nov 10, 2013 Gay Media Review rated it it was amazing
Long Ride Home by Elizabeth Hunter

This is a short story by Paranormal writer Elizabeth Hunter! This is the prequel too The Cambio Springs!

As soon as I started reading Long Ride Home I was captivated by the writing of this author. You first learn that Jena's husband Lowell has already passed away and she has lost the true love of her life. Once you realize that Lowell is now a ghost and travelling in the car with her and her two boys on her way back too her hometown too start over. You don't wan
Patricia
THREE WORDS: Oh! My! God!

This short story of Jena Crowe McCann's three-day and three-night ride back to her family home following her husband's death had me crying from the first page - and very few stories have ever made me just sob until I couldn't even breathe.

Elizabeth Hunter's portrayal of a young wife saying goodbye to her husband as his ever-weakening ghost comes to her each night as she drives is absolutely masterful.
Ann Dobby-Thomas
Oct 14, 2014 Ann Dobby-Thomas rated it really liked it
A very short novella into the paranormal world of shapeshifters....

Jena is driving her 2 sons to Cambio Springs after the death of her husband - while she talks to his ghost who is along for the ride. She has to start over where they will be safe and protected among their own kind. And once she gets there, she turns into a __________. You'll have to read it! Looking forward to starting this series :)
Katie
I really liked this, but I think it works better as an addition, rather than an intro to the series. In other words, read Shifting Dreams first.
Virginia Hill
Long Ride Home is a short story that is anything but short on story. Within the twenty-five pages is conversation so poignant between Jena and her husband, Lowell, that I couldn't help feeling overcome with a profound sense of what they had lost as a couple with his predetermined death. For even in death, Low was a remarkable character. His ghostly wisdom and the love he felt for Jena and their sons transcended his mortal being. I think what I love most about Elizabeth Hunter's writing is her ab ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 08, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, 2014
Great introduction in the Cambio Springs series. Can't wait to read book #1 Shifting Dreams.
Sherry S
Feb 20, 2016 Sherry S rated it really liked it
A very short story about a woman and her sons moving from one home to another following the death of her husband. A very touching and emotionally charged book if you are someone who has ever lost a loved one.
Marilyn
Not sure about giving it 3 or 4 stars since it's a short (very short) story which is more of an introduction. Overall, I enjoyed the book but looking forward to the series of Cambio Springs story!
Kylie Wilson
Jun 23, 2015 Kylie Wilson rated it really liked it
Hard to beleive

It's hard to believe you read as many pages as you do in such a short time. It's flows perfectly just wish it went into more detail on why he died
Darcy
Apr 02, 2016 Darcy rated it liked it
This one was a bit sad. During the ride home we see Jena say the final goodbye to her husband, while giving her boys comfort about the big change in their lives.
Shelley
Nov 06, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
this short story about a widow returning to her childhood home with two young children was sharp, with skill at development and even more skill at tempting the reader to find the next in the series!!!

Jena grieves for her dead husband and her pain was described so powerfully that, probably for the first time ever, I wanted to cry for a character's loss. There is a depth here that surprised me in so short a story; I have to read the next in the series because I already like this lonely, grieving w
Stephanie Carr
Sep 07, 2014 Stephanie Carr rated it it was amazing
I think I cried through most of the 67 pages of this book. It was very good and I can not wait to start the next 1.
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
4.5 stars...The only thing keeping me from rating this 5 stars is that it's so short, only 25 pages. But wow...in only 25 pages, I was totally intrigued, brought to tears, and blown away! What a great introduction to the Cambio Springs series. I cannot wait to dive into Shifting Dreams (Cambio Springs, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter! I fell in love with Hunter's writing with the Irin Chronicles and am so happy to explore more of her lyrical writing. Her books are magical. A Must Read!
Anna
Oct 16, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
This little novella will have you in tears, and is the perfect start to the series
Michelle Cummings
Jul 20, 2015 Michelle Cummings rated it it was amazing
What an excellent prequel to the Cambio Springs series. Very poignant.
Kim Howard
Apr 14, 2014 Kim Howard rated it liked it
A good start to a new series. This short story led in nicely to the full story called "Shifting Dreams". If you enjoyed Elizabeth Hunter's storytelling's from her Elemental World series, you won't be disappointed.
Kristin
Dec 17, 2014 Kristin rated it liked it
Short, but charming, an intriguing introduction to the series.
Kate Phoenix
4 beautiful but sad stars. I can already tell that I'm going to like Jenna Crowe alot.
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Upon a Winter's Night (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3.5)
  • Strange Case (Hyde, #3)
  • Hearts of Fire (Deadglass, #0.5)
  • When Shadows Call (Shaede Assassin, #0.5)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Hunted (Vampires in America, #6.5)
  • The Djinn's Dilemma
  • A Stroke of Dumb Luck (Colbana Files, #0.5)
  • Curran; On the Day of the Panty Dinner: Part 1 (Curran POV, #6)
  • A Million Miles Away (Angel Interceptors #1)
  • Cat's Tale: A Fairy Tale Retold
  • The Wicked (Elder Races, #5.5)
  • Shadows Fall
  • Anna Brookes - In Training (HiT, #1.5)
  • Warrior
  • Deliverance (Acropolis, #3)
  • Made to be Broken (The Redmond Club, #1)
Elizabeth Hunter is a contemporary fantasy and romance author. She is a graduate of the University of Houston Honors College and a former English teacher.

She currently lives in Central California with her son, two very ineffective canine assistants, and a pitifully empty fish tank.

She is the author of the Elemental Mysteries and Elemental World series, the Irin Chronicles, the Cambio Springs Myste
More about Elizabeth Hunter...

Cambio Springs (3 books)
  • Shifting Dreams (Cambio Springs, #1)
  • Desert Bound (Cambio Springs, #2)
  • Waking Hearts (Cambio Springs, #3)