Start by marking “Naughty Neighbor” as Want to Read:
Naughty Neighbor

Naughty Neighbor

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  9,028 ratings  ·  400 reviews
Dear Reader:

In a previous life, before the time of Plum, I wrote twelve short romance novels. Red-hot screwball comedies, each and every one of them. Nine of these stories were originally published by the Loveswept line between the years 1988 and 1992. All immediately went out of print and could be found only at used bookstores and yard sales.

I'm excited to tell you that t
Published February 26th 2008 by Harper (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Naughty Neighbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naughty Neighbor

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer CrusieMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsWallbanger by Alice Clayton
Humorous Romance Books
260th out of 1,717 books — 3,908 voters
The Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberThe Home Court Advantage by N.M. SilberNeanderthal Seeks Human by Penny ReidLegal Briefs by N.M. SilberFriends Without Benefits by Penny Reid
Clever/Funny Romances
53rd out of 109 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Sabrina
I had one major problem (and a few small ones, but more about those later) with this audio book – it was over much too soon! The story is on the shorter side, and I felt these characters had so much more to say and I wanted to get to know them more!

This quirky little story really tickled me and I didn't expect that since my initial impression was that this might be a random audio miss. The voice of C.J. Critt immediately felt off to me. It seemed more mature and slightly gruffer than what the st
Kari Anderson
It took me two weeks to read Dracula and it’s taken me a day and a half to read this. When I finished it, my fiance looked at me and said, “Already? You just started.” What can I say, it was a cute, easy read and I love me some Janet Evanovich. That’s probably obvious since half the books I’ve reviewed have been by her.

Naughty Neighbor is before the Stephanie Plum era, but I see a lot of similarities. The lead female is always witty, the lead male(s) is always dreamy and the family is always a r
April
This is one of Evanovich's earlier works, and man, does it show. Though there are flashes of humor throughout, the plotting is inconsistent, the characters are underdeveloped, the mystery lacks complexity, and the romance is implausible.

On the other hand, this is the kind of thing that kept Evanovich writing, and she eventually hit One for the Money, Stephanie Plum's debut. While the characters in this book--the Naughty Neighbors in the title--are no Stephanie and Morelli (or Ranger, if you pref
Crystal~BIG book addict~
I can always depend on Janet Evanovich for a funny, lighthearted, silly read.

Pete and Louisa are neighbors, Pete living upstairs and Louisa down. He is noisy, steals her morning paper and funny smells come from his apartment. Pete can hear everything in Louisa's apartment, including her phone calls from her mom. After her boss, a Senator, finds out she has an association with Pete, he fires her suddenly and the mystery begins. Pete and Louisa work together to find out what is going on.

There is
Blodeuedd Finland

I am gonna make this short since it was on audio and let's face it, I suck a audio. I got annoyed at the narrator, and some voices made me grind my teeth. It took so long and I must have rolled my eyes a hundred times over.

Louisa was now and again TSTL, and honestly so was he once or twice too. He was a macho pig, and she was a wimp and complained all the time. I did not like either of them.

But then we get to the real problem, it was audio, perhaps I could have liked them in a book, perhaps then
Rayni
Feb 11, 2012 Rayni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rayni by: Author name recognition
I snagged this book off the exchange rack at the library simply because it was a Janet Evanovich book. I've looked at these "before the time of Plum" novels in bookstores, but didn't want to buy them because they look like "fluff" to me. So I was excited to find a chance to read a "guilty pleasure" book.

I read Evanovich's note to the reader in this book & loved it. She explains that "in a previous life, before the time of Plum" she had written 12 short romance novels.

It is fluff & I fe
Rachel
This was one of the cheesiest romance novels I've ever read. I can do cheese (I love Twilight for God's sake!) but this was over the top even for me. In addition to the romance plot line there was also a mystery plot line that seemed implausible and I had trouble following. People say that Evanovich is really funny but that wasn't true of this book.

To be fair, this book was written pre-Stephanie Plum days and probably wouldn't have been rereleased if it wasn't for the success of the Stephanie Pl
Cyndi Tefft
This was my first-ever Janet Evanovich book and I absolutely loved it! It was a short, quick read, packed tight with great one-liners that made me laugh out loud. Just ask my poor hubby, who had to stop what he was doing several times to listen to me read funny passages to him!

The best thing about this book was the absolute MALENESS of the "hero." Evanovich wrote his dialogue and inner thoughts just like a real guy, which completely tickled me.

My fave line:

Her: "Do you make love to women you do
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Reading this should give any starting author hope. This proves that one of your first books can be total crap and you can go on to be a very successful writer. The writing is choppy at best. The scenarios are more than improbable. The characters have few redeeming qualities. The plot is nonexistent. So why two stars and not one? Because it was merely bad. Sort or like something a friend has asked you to read. OK for an amateur, but not something you'd expect to be published anywhere.
Iris Blobel
I'm not really sure what to say. I have no idea what the "pig" story was all about, I got fed up with all the "inner thoughts" by both, Louisa and Pete half way through the book - it felt repetitious, AND it wasn't really near as funny as most of the other Evanovich stories. Bottom line ... I wouldn't bother. As you can see, I can't even bother spending more time to write something about it .... says it all, doesn't it?
Michelle Onuorah
I HATE this book. It was the biggest Barnes and Noble mistake I ever made. I traveled cross country and bought the audio book in the hopes that it would make the drive easier. I almost crashed from boredom. The characters - especially the male lead - are incredibly annoying. I couldn't stick around to see any romance blossom between these two unbelievable, vapid, moronic characters.

What's worse is I couldn't get my money back at B&N because the shrink wrap had been removed. This is by far th
Kara
This is one of her early books and you can tell. Is it fun? yes Can you see glimpses of her Motor Mouth series and One for the Money (which are both excellent)? yes, but she doesn't have the character development that happens later on. She is practicing becoming a seasoned writer with this book. Better than a harlequin romance, but not much (probably only because I like the humor).
Michelle
The biggest thing about this book that bothers me is that a cat is being fed foods that would kill it. Evanovich should have done her homework.

I was in the mood for a quick chuckle, so I turned to Janet Evanovich. Witty, cute, and ridiculously trite. But face it, no one reads Evanovich and expects answers to life's big questions.
Kathryn
uuuugh this book was soooo baddddd. she was lame and he was kind of rapey. the whole mystery part of the book was so stupid i couldn't even pay attention to it. and the person reading it on cd had the most annoying way of reading. she sounded like cheri o'teri impersonating barbara walters.
Jan
Janet Evanovich does not write a bad book, some are better than others, and the best are the Stephanie series, however,
this one will make the reader smile also.

Louisa has problems with her neighbour, and is thinking of calling the landlord, until she finds out he is the landlord. Sparks fly between them, and they are getting kinda hot. She works for Senator, who fires her, to hire a bimbo. She knows something is afoot, and with her new friend, the landlord, they set out to find out what is dirty
Shannon
I thought it had its cute parts, but ultimately fell flat. Evanovich is far more talented than this book shows.
Debbie
After once again being woken up in the middle of the night by her upstairs neighbor’s ringing phone, Lousia Brannigan opened her front door to discover her morning paper had been stolen by the same neighbor. Then her car was vandalized (his fault) and she lost her job (again, his fault), but now they were working together to find out what had happened to a diplomatic pig. Pete Streeter was intrigued by a missing pig (of all things?). As a screen writer, he spun stories all of the time, he just c ...more
Serena
Another audiobook by Janet Evanovich, but this one is not in the Stephanie Plum series or the Between-the-Numbers series. Naughty Neighbor is one of Evanovich's earlier books, which have been dubbed "red-hot comedies."

Louisa Brannigan is a nose-to-the-grindstone press secretary for an up-and-coming senator, Nolan Bishop. Louisa and her neighbor, Pete Streeter, are at odds, particularly since he callously snags her morning paper and receives phone calls at all hours. Streeter is a Hollywood scree
Christyn
Naughty Neighbor was really cute and romantic. The kind of light fluffy love story you read when you want to smile and laugh and not think - the perfect escape from real life. There are still some things that were unresolved - like why Louisa was really fired, whether her boss had anything to do with what Maislin was into and a few minor details, but since these weren't the main bulk of the story I didn't mind too much. It was enjoyable and left me smiling - that's the important part.

Louisa wa
Laurel Horner
I did not feel a connection to the main character. The authors notes at the beginning are making sense now why this was one of the stories were published once and then not produced again for 15 years. Not sure they should have come back. Not sure with the information given if they would have fallen in love with eachother just did not seem like a connection and the herion was really annoying and maybe that was a combination of the book itself and the reader chosen for the CD.
Tina
This book was a pleasant surprise. The story was an offbeat romance with an underlining detective plot (although it lacked complexity). Characters were enjoyable and despite the weak plot, the love story was captivating. It was a light, easy read which I completed in one evening and would definitely recommend for anyone looking for a carefree story. It had moments of humor which had me laughing out loud.
I was fairly disappointed in this book. I liked that it was short and easy to get into. But I found that the relationship moved way to fast, I thought that the characters weren't nearly as developed as they could have been. The whole congressman fiasco seemed like a fiasco in and of itself. I found it fairly hard to follow - Lou and Pete would be talking about something that had happened and I would never even remember reading anything about it and would be going back pages to try to find it, to ...more
Tiffeny
Janet Evanovich is the author of all the Stephanie Plum books, of which I'm not a huge fan. I've only read one and it was a while ago, so I don't remember a lot about it. I think I remember there being too many F-words for my taste and I just don't remember caring for the characters too much. Apparently though before she wrote Plum, she wrote a series of paperback romance novels, that were published and then quickly went out of print. In the last few years though, probably since she's become so ...more
Sally
What fun! Before she wrote the Stephanie Plum novels, Janet Evanovich wrote a series of "red-hot comedies". The tone is much the same as the Plum books but the characters and settings are total different. In this one, and unlikely pairing with a political mystery ( why did the swine disappear?) made for a fun filled read.
Kelly
This was just okay. It is not nearly the caliber of her Plum novels; not as funny, polished, orchestrated. Plot had a mystery, but then she just tells you they solved it, no story, just done. While I understand this is meant to be a romance novel, it dragged on and on after they solved the mystery, and I got bored, just wanting it to end. There is nothing bad about this book, just found that it did not hold my interest.
Filiciousnerd
Wanted a quick, easy read. Well, that's about all it amounted to. Lame. Can't even really think of one good line. I thought this author's books were supposed to be witty, or funny, but it was lacking for me. Maybe my expectations were too high for a woman who is consistently a best seller's list.
Kathy  D.
2.5 stars. It's insta-love, adult style! Within 3 days the main character goes from loathing the guy to not being able to keep her hands off him. And the whole pig plot was unnecessary and annoying and pretty much led nowhere. Luckily I listened to it on my way to work, so no real time was lost.
Monkeyface
Listened to Naughty Neighborby Janet Evanovich. Louisa Brannigan's neighbor is a handsome hell-raiser—and he's driving Louisa crazy. He makes terrible coffee, steals her newspaper, and listens through her walls. But when she's fired from her government job, Louisa is persuaded to join his undercover investigation. Sneaking around in the shadows is more fun than she ever imagined, especially when the getaway car is a Porsche. Pete Streeter never figured on finding such an attractive partner in cr ...more
Jaymin Cheatwood
This was entertaining and a quick read, but it's pure fluff. The story resolves too quickly and without any real satisfaction. Cute, but it could've been far more entertaining had it been further fleshed out.
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Heart of Gold (Loveswept, No 393; Rainbow Chasers, #1)
  • Big Sky Standoff
  • Lake Magic
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Ryan's Place  (The Devaneys #1)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle + Driven to Distraction + Taken for a Ride
  • Celtic Fire (Druids of Avalon, #1)
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride (Harlequin Romance, No. 3855)
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #1)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • I'm In No Mood For Love  (Writer Friends, #2)
More about Janet Evanovich...
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)

“Pete- What does a woman want out of marriage?
Louisa- Undying devotion and a warm place to put her cold feet when she gets into bed at night.”
16 likes
“There’s always tomorrow.”

“Exactly,” she said, finishing off her first doughnut, selecting a second. Maybe she wouldn’t starve to death, she decided. Maybe she’d eat herself into obesity and explode. Death by doughnut.”
8 likes