Start by marking “Due Date” as Want to Read:
Due Date

Due Date

Surrogate mother Shelby McDougall just fell for the biggest con of all—a scam that risks her life and the lives of her unborn twins.

Shelby McDougall, recent college graduate, is facing a mountain of student debt and carting a burden she'd like to exorcise. A Rolling Stone ad for a surrogate mother offers her a way to erase the loans and right her karmic place in the cosmos
Published May 28th 2012 by Solstice Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Due Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Due Date

Abbie
Jan 27, 2016 Abbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Actual rating - 3.5

Shelby was a strong character, and I felt quite sorry for her for what she went through in this.

The first half of this was slow, but it still managed to keep my interest. The second half picked up the pace though, and I started to really enjoy it.

Overall, A decent read.
Dan Springer
Jul 09, 2013 Dan Springer rated it it was amazing
Don't you just love it when you read the opening pages of a book and you are instantly drawn in? You picture the characters in your mind. The action is so real you are transported into a movie in your head. You find yourself firing up the Kindle reader on your phone while waiting for an appointment to gobble up a couple more pages of a great mystery because you just have to know what happens next. That was me while enjoying Nancy Wood's mystery, Due Date.

Shelby McDougall is young, naive, and ver
Kassandra Lamb
Mar 13, 2013 Kassandra Lamb rated it really liked it
Some members of Shelby McDougall’s family are pissed at her for becoming a surrogate mother, but Shelby’s not doing it just for the money. She’s hoping to atone for some sins in her past by helping a childless couple fulfill their dream. But there’s something a little off about this couple...

Nancy Woods does a great job of developing Shelby’s character and building the sense of tension as she begins to realize that things are not quite what they should be. The writing flows nicely, making this a
Lisa
Jul 29, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I thought the book started off slowly but picked up very quickly. Once it did I found it hard to put down. When the protagonist felt tense I felt tense-that's how engrossed I got. It was filled with interesting characters and the plot was very timely. Overall I enjoyed the book.
September
Sep 29, 2012 September rated it it was amazing
This book had so many twists and turns. So tightly written and so well thought out! Great read!! Kept me up at night and was the first thing I reached for this morning, even before my coffee! Can't wait for the next book!!
Mariann
Sep 12, 2013 Mariann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
I enjoyed the book up until the very last page. It left me saying WTH. Argh !!!!
Henry Simpson
Jun 27, 2013 Henry Simpson rated it it was amazing
This is a novel about a young woman who gets herself into a jam, finds what seems to be a quick and easy solution, and suffers the consequences when it turns out to be scam that puts her life at risk. The narrative is character-based, told from the point of view of the protagonist, Shelby, a twenty-four year old. Technically, it falls into the suspense category, but the polish of the writing and character development exceed the usual standards of that genre. The writing brought to mind Sue ...more
Jodi
Oct 11, 2012 Jodi rated it really liked it
Kelly
Aug 08, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This book was action packed right from the start – the first page had a car crash which resulted in a forest fire and a hospital stay for Shelby! Upon leaving the hospital Shelby moves in to a cottage, on the large estate belonging to Jackson and Diane, to await the arrival of the babies that will be theirs when born. Once there Shelby quickly realises that things are not at all as they seem and she, as well as others, are in very real danger.

As Shelby begins to piece things together we come to
Deborah Ross
Oct 12, 2012 Deborah Ross rated it liked it
This is a first published novel from a talented writer who received very poor editorial support from her publisher. The premise -- a down-on-her-luck student undertakes to become a surrogate mother, only to discover that the parents are baby brokers -- is interesting and refreshing, and the prose is smooth. (I also think it's a hoot that for the past few days, my Spam Box has been full of ads for surrogate mothers.) The characters are strongly drawn, with solid dialog. Yet although the overall ...more
K.C. Sprayberry
Feb 07, 2014 K.C. Sprayberry rated it it was amazing
Being a surrogate goes against everything Shelby McDougal learned during her Catholic upbringing. Yet, she can't resist the urge to help a childless couple, and is soon pregnant with twins she will never have any contact with. Was this the right decision?
The moment I started Due Date, I felt as if I had jumped into a Mary Higgins Clark mystery. Nancy Wood immediately draws the reader into questioning Shelby's determination to give up the twins she carries to Diane and Jackson, a couple who appea
Nancy Curteman
Jul 30, 2012 Nancy Curteman rated it it was amazing
Things are not quite what they seem to be in Nancy Wood’s fast-paced, action-packed novel, “Due Date.” The story is full of surprises—characters, events and even settings are artificial facades that morph into terrifying, life threatening horrors for surrogate mother, Shelby McDougall.

From the opening car crash through the suspicious perfection of Shelby’s cottage to her agonizing, sometimes heartbreaking, discoveries the reader is kept on an emotional roller coaster of continual suspicion and s
Gail Baugniet
Jan 06, 2014 Gail Baugniet rated it really liked it
The title of this novel had me waiting to see if I was in for a lot of details about morning sickness and water retention. It was a short wait. The opening paragraphs of the first chapter alleviated any such worries. What should have concerned me was whether the pregnant protagonist would survive some of her less-than-thought-out action-packed responses to dangerous predicaments and make it to full term.

This story involves a scam to have women deliver and give up their babies, supposedly to a lo
Diane
Jul 28, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
I can hardly believe that this is a first novel. The plot is mesmerising from the off. Shelby McDougall is attempting to salve her conscious after an abortion by becoming a surrogate mother for Diane and Jackson. When her controlling sister-in-law throws her out, Shelby is housed by Diane and Jackson in a cottage on their property. But the idyllic setting soon turns sinister and Diane and Jackson's foibles become obsessive and creepy.

Shelby is a likeable and engaging character. She genuinely fe
Kathleen Janz-Anderson
Feb 28, 2014 Kathleen Janz-Anderson rated it really liked it
Nancy is a great writer, and I'd give her a 5 star for her writing, and take the 1/2 only because of my personal take what a pregnant woman can and should do.

College student, surrogate, wannabe detective, Shelby McDougall sets out to lower her debt while attending college and takes on the ride of her life. We sense from the first moment she enters the cabin in the woods (her new home for the duration of her surrogacy) there is something horrible lurking about. We feel there is something amiss a
Joyce Strand
Oct 01, 2013 Joyce Strand rated it it was amazing
Due Date was an enjoyable surprise. I’m not sure what I expected, but I was uneasy reading a mystery with a pregnant surrogate as the protagonist. I mean, how could a young woman carrying twins solve or even get involved in a puzzle? What kind of mystery could she encounter?

To draw us into the plot, author Nancy Wood tells the story from the first person. We quickly get to know and understand Shelby McDougall and her rationale for agreeing to become a surrogate mother. We meet supporting charact
Stephanie
Jul 30, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Bought this because the author is local, and wanted to like it. As it turned out, I LOVED it. Read it on my Kindle, and last night one of the big plotlines was "solved" (or at least there was an apparent resolution), and I noticed I was only 67% through the book. WTF? I HAD to keep going...couldn't wait to find out where it was all going, and what was going to happen to Shelby. (who, by the way, became quite real to me as I read -- good characterization)

Nancy has captured a lot of Santa Cruz in
Michael Thal
Sep 26, 2014 Michael Thal rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Shelby McDougall is a surrogate mother. Diane and Jackson Entwistle are paying her big bucks for her twins. When brother Dexter’s wife, Jessica, asks Shelby to leave their home because Jessica feels Shelby’s pregnancy will adversely affect her 3-year-old, Ashley, Shelby has no choice but to accept Diane’s offer to live in the guest house on their estate.

Once Shelby moves into her new home, author Nancy Wood lets loose in her exciting mystery, Due Date. The author does a marvelous job describing
Melinda Gregory
Aug 05, 2013 Melinda Gregory rated it liked it
3.5 stars... not bad. This book tells the story of Shelby, a broke college girl who decides to answer an ad in Rolling Stone magazine to become a surrogate mother for a childless couple. Strange things start happening as Shelby, carrying the couple's twins, moves into a cottage on their remote estate.

What I liked: the story itself. It was different, and trying to figure out exactly what the strange "expectant" parents were up to had me reading, as well as trying to see if Shelby & her babie
Jessica Tornese
Aug 01, 2012 Jessica Tornese rated it it was amazing
Ripe with suspense! Nancy Wood's novel, Due Date, keeps you turning the pages well into the night. Wood's descriptive writing brings the goosebumps and the sights and smells of the forest alive in the reader's mind. Experience high emotional twists and turns as the reader follows Shelby's journey to her eventual due date. The thrilling climax, with Jackson and Megan, highlights the main character's true self value and worth, her strength and determination, and the reader can't help but side with ...more
Lisa
May 12, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I had expected more out of the book. More mystery. It was an interesting concept and could have been much more. For the most part, it felt like living the life of the main character (Shelby) and not much more. The mystery seemed more of a side story. The surrogacy and moral implications were a much bigger focus of the story.

I liked the twists that it had, but the ending was rather abrupt. I wanted to know what happened to Shelby afterwards and what happened to the babies. An epilogue to wrap eve
Carl R.
Oct 10, 2012 Carl R. rated it really liked it
You don't get this every day. A surrogate mother pregnant with twins stumbles into a mysterious crime ring whose activities turn increasingly violent. And she has to extricate her ballooned and clumsy self from rough situations with little or no help. Nancy Wood has taken on a challenging task and created a mystery that's both comical frightening. Her heroine, Shelby, is bright,young,impulsive, gullible and far from prudent. A perfect combination for likability and trouble. A well-written and ...more
Carolyn
Jun 20, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
“Due Date” has a terrifically original plot. The author draws troubling deception surrounding the main character, Shelby McDougall, a college grad who is being paid handsomely to surrogate twins for a wealthy couple. It reads like a mystery and a thriller with engaging characters and interesting relationships. Shelby McDougall is a strong protagonist who faces danger like a champ. There are lots of suspenseful and thrilling action scenes here with an unexpected plot twist at the end.
Mary Howe
Jul 31, 2012 Mary Howe rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic mystery story. I was totally taken into the book and had to keep reading, even when I should have been doing other things! I love it when I discover a good book with a unique plot and Due Date did that. The setting descriptions put me right there tensely watching the story unfold. The protagonist, Shelby had a lot of depth. I disliked her at the beginning of the read but liked her immensely by the end. She was real and I can't wait to read her next adventure.
F.J Thomas
Feb 15, 2014 F.J Thomas rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that grabs you from the start. The whole book your mind is working trying to figure out the mystery and you turn every page hungry to find out something new. She does a great job of keeping the momentum up and pulling you in. The characters are very well thought out as well. LOVE LOVE LOVE It!
Paulette Ponte
Feb 08, 2014 Paulette Ponte rated it it was ok
This book started out okay and I thought the idea for this story was interesting, however, it was not very good. I hate to criticize authors since I have no such skills myself. I found the book extremely boring of the most part and exceptionally unrealistic. The main character was very likable but not believable. I think that the author may be more successful in her next book.
Kivalina Gwynn
Oct 05, 2015 Kivalina Gwynn rated it it was amazing
Left me hanging and I want to read more about Shelby.Interesting read.Last few chapters was not what I was expecting.I really liked it.Please don't take another 5 years to let me read more about Shelby.
HI5O
Dec 14, 2015 HI5O rated it really liked it
Very good story

The plot moved along at a good pace and kept my interest peaked. The main characters were well developed and their a actions believable, although stupid at times. Well done.
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2013
Amber Yarbrough
Amber Yarbrough rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants
  • Nadia's Hope
  • The Devil's Closet (Ceecee Gallagher)
  • Seeing Trouble (Deadwood Shorts, #1)
  • Too Dark to Sleep
  • When You Wish
  • On Ice
  • Star Attraction
  • The Kate Jones Thriller Series: Vol. 1
  • Wings
  • Jake
  • Trouble in Paradise
  • Resonance (Holloway Pack, #2.5)
  • Brains, Trains & Video Games
  • S'wanee
  • DRT (A Ghost Story)
  • Chicken Soup for the Scrapbooker's Soul: Stories to Remember . . . (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Devil Stood Up
I live in Santa Cruz, California, where I've been lucky enough to make writing my career. For many years I made my living as a technical writer, working in software documentation. About six years ago, I was laid off from my job and decided to set up my own shop. Now, I'm a writing and business consultant and get to spend every day grappling with words and sentences. I love it!

Due Date, published b
More about Nancy W. Wood...