Start by marking “Blood and Mistletoe (Ivy Granger, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Blood and Mistletoe (Ivy Granger, #1.5)

Blood and Mistletoe (Ivy Granger #1.5)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Holidays are worse than a full moon for making people crazy. In Harborsmouth, where many of the residents are bloodsucking vampires or monstrous fae, the combination may prove deadly.

Ivy Granger, psychic private investigator, returns to the streets of Harborsmouth in this addition to the bestselling urban fantasy series.

Holidays are Hell, a point driven home when a certai
Published November 6th 2012 by Sacred Oaks Press

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Mistletoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Mistletoe

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsSorrow's Point by Danielle DeVorAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeThe Replacement by Brenna YovanoffFor Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) by Shane K.P. O'Neill
Creepy Book Covers
23rd out of 145 books — 180 voters
The Wicked Garden by Lenora HensonBeltane by Lenora HensonCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareFirelight by Sophie JordanCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
Girls with Red Hair
34th out of 210 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

Katy
Oct 22, 2012 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy, esp w/ realistic fae
Recommended to Katy by: E.J. Stevens
Shelves: ebook, upcoming-pub
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Book Available: November 20, 2012
Recommended for: Fans of Urban Fantasy, those who enjoy tales of the fae that treats them realistically

Disclosure: I received this book as an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Holidays are worse than a full moon for making people crazy. In Harborsmouth, where many of the residents are undead vampires or monstrous fae, the combination may prove deadly.

Ivy Granger, psychic private inves
Lorna
May 03, 2015 Lorna rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars No, this is not a Christmas story-well not exactly. It takes place during the holidays, but the blood and mistletoe are things that are found at murder scenes in this story and actually don’t pretain to Christmas-other then the obvious. Because the victims are Fae, Ivy Granger, private detective (and newly realized Fae princess) is called in on the case.

The first book in this series, Shadow Sight, was an excellent introduction into the supernatural scene in the city of Harborsmouth,
BookLoversLife
Review to come.
Gaele
Apr 17, 2013 Gaele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, jeep-diva
This is an incredibly clever series, with Ivy as the lead character: a fae, psychic private investigator with the ability (or curse) to glean information and visions from touch. With an accident-prone, fashionista roommate with a penchant for rockabilly style, Jinx and Ivy have a clever and funny interplay and reliance on one another.

As a Christmas-time short story, someone or something is killing faeries and all indications seem to point to a macabre Christmas tree decorated with dead or captu
Melissa Hayden
We get a strong feel of the magic, creatures and fey in the world in this novella. I will say, with all the magic in this world the author, E.J., is good at covering her steps by laying the groundwork to back what's to happen. The explanations are all there in what's happening - like detecting demons and connections.

I liked the addition of two voices to the story, it keeps my attention.

****FULL REVIEW****
Ivy's been busy with clients in her detective agency, since the events of the first book. Fo
Shannon (Twilight Sleep)
Nov 20, 2012 Shannon (Twilight Sleep) rated it really liked it
First I must apologize for doing this author a disfavor and not getting my review out there sooner. Whole point of an ARC, I know - I'm sorry E.J.! That being said....she's done it again. Another book that I LOVED. As a matter of fact, I really give it 4.5 stars. And if you know me, you know that's a big deal. My 5 star reviews are a sacred piece of me that I don't part with easily, but I'm starting to think Stevens is going to squeeze one out of me before it's all said and done.

Even though this
Freda Labianca
Oct 30, 2012 Freda Labianca rated it really liked it
Blood and Mistletoe is a novella that follows Shadow Sight, in the Ivy Granger series. I read and reviewed Shadow Sight, and even though it wasn't the most perfect book I have ever read, it was exciting and interesting enough that I wanted to carry on the series.

Ivy Granger is not your average private detective, because she has a paranormal ability. With that ability comes relationships with beings that normal people are not meant to have, like vampires and faeries. It's Ivy's job, with the hel
Jennifer at BookShelfery
Jan 29, 2013 Jennifer at BookShelfery rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
This review was originally published at The Bawdy Book Blog. It was furnished by the author in exchange of an honest review.

E.J. Stevens, author of She Smells the Dead, has got herself another hit with her novella and companion story to her Ivy Granger series, Blood and Mistletoe.

Ivy Granger and Jinx, Ivy’s sidekick and BFF, are gearing up for the holidays when brimstone burns the nose-hairs again, signaling the demon lawyer, Forneus’, return to Private Eye – never a good thing, especially when
Loves To Dive
Nov 26, 2012 Loves To Dive rated it really liked it

For psychic detective Ivy Granger and her partner Jinx, business couldn’t be better since Ivy, with help from the supernatural community, saved the town of Harborsmouth a few months earlier. Her relationship with the kelpie king, Ceffyl, is slowly heating up, although Ivy is still reluctant to do more than kiss, since just by touching she can read everything about an object or person.

Life is pretty good, but now the holidays are approaching and Ivy is not in a festive sort of mind. Ceffyl has c
Reader's Hollow
Jun 21, 2015 Reader's Hollow rated it it was amazing
**The Reader's Hollow received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**
5x5

Just like Shadow Sight, there isn't a fairy out there who goes without saying. This book combined a few of my favorite things: urban fantasies with something new to learn, and Christmas. Don't worry, it's not so much Christmas that you can only read it during the holidays.

If you haven't read Shadow Sight, don't worry. There's just enough information to catch you up on book one and additional info about Ivy an
Teressa
Jun 30, 2015 Teressa rated it it was amazing

BLOOD AND MISTLETOE (Ivy Granger) isn't your average detective or even your average psychic detective. She's an awesome character whose part Fae. The story takes place in Harborsmouth, where all types of interesting and fun beings dwell. Some aren't so fun such as the pixies. I loved what she said about the pixies. Her friend Jinx is cool too.

It's Christmastime and it's her first Christmas with a boyfriend who's a Kelpie King who was needed elsewhere and had to cancel their date for the tree lig
Susan
Blood and Mistletoe by E. J. Stevens Note: Even though this is Book 1.5 in the series, it works just fine as a stand alone.
Ivy Granger is a private detective working in Harborsmouth. And her demon associate, Forneus, requires her talents to solve a series of murders. With her psychic abilities and help from her friends, such as Jinx who runs the office, she attempts to make it through the holidays and save fae lives.
Even though this is short, plenty of awesomesauce is packed into it. Ivy herself
Melanie
Aug 06, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
My review and an extended sample of the audiobook are posted at Hotlistens.com.

This is a cute short story that is set during Christmas, but isn’t really a Christmas story. Yes, it takes place during the holidays. Yes, there are gifts exchanged. That is pretty much where the holidays end.

Our demon lawyer friend (that sounds like an oxymoron doesn’t it, it kinda is), Forneus returns with another case for Ivy and Jinx. Something is killing fae. The only thing that is in common, is that the victims
Andrea at Reading Lark
*4.5 Rating
Review Posted on Reading Lark 12/10/12: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2012/...

I love E.J. Stevens' Spirit Guide series, but the Ivy Granger books are quickly becoming my favorites. Stevens writing seems to get better and better with each novel. I was so excited to read this novella after spending time with Ivy in book #1, Shadow Sight, earlier this year. This little gem is enough to tide me over until book #2 arrives. A strong heroine, holiday themed murders, and a hot Kelpie king -
Maghon Thomas
May 17, 2013 Maghon Thomas rated it it was amazing
This is a shorter version of an Ivy mystery. It’s no less relevant, as I about had a heart attack in this one! Dude, the bad guy in here is seriously scary! Like, I am thinking about hiding in my closet for a little while when I think about it. *shivers* I actually think this one is even better than the first one. Only because this one was a little more emotional for me. When Ivy realizes that there’s a crazy out and about killing Fae, she is seriously worried for her friends, as almost everyone ...more
My Urban Fantasies
Mar 03, 2013 My Urban Fantasies rated it really liked it
Shelves: ivy-granger
Review originally posted on My Urban Fantasies

Our favorite snarky psychic detective is back! Blood and Mistletoe takes place a few months after Shadow Sight. Yes, before you even ask Ivy and Ceff are still dating. Yay! Their relationship does not play a huge role in this novella, but it's something I just cannot get enough of. I like seeing Ivy's squishy side.

The holiday season is not slowing down business at Private Eye detective agency. Ivy is finishing with a client, a bugbear, when Forneus
Sofia Wren
Dec 20, 2012 Sofia Wren rated it it was amazing
The challenge of this Blood and Mistletoe is a completely new foe--a special breed of dark fairy.

1. Macabre and cheer

There is an interesting mixture of the normal Christmas fixings---like mistletoe---interspersed with darker elements--like blood.

Part of the motivation of the killer is a dark and twisted love that centers around a dead lover.

The theme is just creepy enough to leave me on edge without being too graphic to turn my interest.

2. A tight story

Having hit her stride, EJ pares this book d
Mandy Sickle
I received Blood and Mistletoe from the author in return for an honest review. Ivy Granger is back to solve a holiday crime. When Ivy’s favorite demon Forneous shows up asking requesting she catch the killer targeting fae she can’t say no even if it is working for the demon. While Ivy’s boyfriend Ceff is out of town dealing with some negotiations between his people Ivy will have to reply on a young hunter and Jinx to catch the killer before it’s too late. A quick scan of the files reveals that t ...more
Jason Crawford
Jun 17, 2013 Jason Crawford rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating - 4.9/5

Here is my breakdown:

Characters: 5/5 I love the characters in the Ivy Granger series: each has an important role to play in each story, from the main players of Ivy, Kaye, and Ceff to the "bit players" of Hob, Jinx, and Marvin the bridge troll. I wanted to know more about them from the first book, and this novella did not disappoint.

Storyline/Plot: 5/5 As a novella, this story was shorter than I am used to reading, but you wouldn't know it by what happened. Filled with exc
Traci (Mad Hatter Reads)
May 21, 2013 Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) rated it really liked it
I received an e-copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

The Ivy Granger series just keeps getting better! While I enjoyed book 1, Shadow Sight, it had a couple of rough edges that were smoothed out in Blood and Mistletoe. And nice bonus...there was a pronunciation guide/dictionary for all those tricky Gaelic/fae names!

Blood and Mistletoe resumes Ivy's story a few months after book 1 ends and Ivy is already showing personal, professional and romantic growth which bodes w
Mar
Nov 24, 2012 Mar rated it really liked it
This novella follows Shadow Sight in the Ivy Granger series. Ivy is a psychic private investigator and she's determined to keep her city safe by protecting both humans and the paranormal. With the holidays upon them Ivy is determined to unravel a new mystery. With some of the fey being killed she must hurry and find out what's happening and stop it before more fey are killed.

I found the story to be good with a good amount of action, mystery and suspense. Ivy is a great character that's brave an
Mandy Saial
I received this free novella from the author during a book hop event .

I enjoyed the different characters,and the situations they have to go through.
The Authors dark fantasy style of writing was excellent , but I wish I had started reading this series from the beginning , just to know the back stories on each character a little better .
Overall I enjoyed the novella and will give the series a try from the beginning .
Stacy
Dec 19, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
The Demon attorney is back and with him he brings Ivy a new lead that puts her on the path of a very old and dangerous being who is killing faeries. BLOOD AND MISTLETOE gave us a nice peek at how things are going in Harborsmouth since SHADOW SIGHT ended. There was a good amount of action with a fast paced but detailed plot. Unfortunately we don't get much of Ivy with her new beau so I think we need an extra dose in book 2 when it releases, but there is a neat little scene at the end of the book ...more
MJ
Feb 13, 2016 MJ rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
2.5ish... Comes across like it should/could be a full book, but either the author ran out of time or just got lazy :/

It is ok, and because of my aversion to paying for 'chapters' over a full book, I did try and skip it and read book 2, but kept feeling like I was missing bits with the refs to BaM's. I probably could have skipped it and not had too many issues. EJS does seem to have a habit of 'blah, blah, the story/timelines moved on', so there were still a few spots in this where I thought I mi
Kim Bishop
Jul 01, 2015 Kim Bishop rated it liked it
**Audiobook provided by the author for an honest review**

Ivy the most popular private investigator right now is swamped with cases! After her successful battle with the big nasty in Shadow Sight, her phone has been non-stop ringing! That devil of a demon, Forneus, returns to let Ivy know that there have been fae murders happening in town that no one seems to be paying much attention to. Five fae to be exact and they all have nothing in common. Boy does Ivy have her work cut out for her!

While Ivy
Becky
Jan 13, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this prequel. It was a very nice addition to the Ivy Granger series. I loved how cohesive all of the characters personalities stayed and absolutely loved Ivy as always. I really do hope that something ends up forming between Jinx and Forneus, but who knows if Ivy will even let that happen. I think the story was extremely fitting especially for the season and I absolutely loved how grotesque it was. I cannot wait to see what book two has in store for us.
Kirsten Lenius
Dec 09, 2012 Kirsten Lenius rated it really liked it
Fae folk are being killed and when a demon brings the case to her it becomes private investigator Ivy Grainger's job to find out how, why and by whom.

This is one of the few novella length pieces that I have read recently where the story does not suffer for the length.

Worth reading.
Angela(demonsangel) Fitzgerald
Review posted on Audible
Bonnie Rediske-
Jul 01, 2015 Bonnie Rediske- rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Audio Version Review
I was gifted this book in exchange for an honest review. Ivy is a psychic detective on the path of a killer. She is strong, resilient and Fae. Her supporting cast is well developed in this novella. The story-tellers David and Melanie definitely get the job done. This is the first book that I have "read" that has a dual narration and that was a bit distracting to me. I almost felt as though Melanie was not able to create individual characters through her voice, so I suspected
Maryellen
Apr 13, 2013 Maryellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
I really enjoy the Ivy Granger series, new take on the fae universe and it's a fun one. More unicorn, please!
Insomnia Book Club: Blood and Mistletoe by E.J. Stevens 16 1 Nov 25, 2014 12:47PM
  • Acheron Highway (Jonathan Shade, #2)
  • The League of Doorways (Doorways, #2)
  • What Zoey Doesn't Know (Monster Haven, #3.5)
  • Fissure (Chronicles of the Interred, #2)
  • The Guardians (The Guardians, #1)
  • Life After Dane
  • Rune Gate (Rune Gate Cycle #1)
  • Bittersweet (Dancers and Divas, #2)
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • Lust (The Allure Chronicles, #2)
  • Dayling
  • Vengeance (Thaumatology, #12)
  • Drawing Dead: A Tale of Poker and Vampires
  • The Black Stiletto: Stars & Stripes  (The Black Stiletto #3)
  • Stakeout (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #2.5)
  • Sun Poisoned (Sunshine #2)
  • Pariah
  • Ashes in the Sky (Fire in the Woods, #2)
E.J. Stevens is the author of the SPIRIT GUIDE young adult paranormal romance series, the HUNTERS' GUILD urban fantasy series, and the award-winning IVY GRANGER urban fantasy series. She is known for filling pages with quirky characters, bloodsucking vampires, psychotic faeries, and snarky, kick-butt heroines.

When E.J. isn't at her writing desk, she enjoys dancing along seaside cliffs, singing in
More about E.J. Stevens...

Ivy Granger (6 books)
  • Shadow Sight (Ivy Granger, #1)
  • Ghost Light (Ivy Granger, #2)
  • Burning Bright (Ivy Granger, #3)
  • Birthright (Ivy Granger, #4)
  • Hound's Bite (Ivy Granger, #5)
  • Raven's Flight (Ivy Granger, #6)

“If a faerie, a vampire, and a demon walk into a bar, you wait for the punch line. At Private Eye, when a faerie, a vampire, and a demon walk through the door, it’s just another day at the office.” 1 likes
“...the very, very old fae tended to go through an unhealthy stage of boredom that was often followed by a period of ‘goin’ doololly.” 1 likes