Start by marking “Bared Blade (Fallen Blade, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bared Blade (Fallen Blade, #2)

Bared Blade (Fallen Blade #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,194 ratings  ·  42 reviews
From the "inventive, irreverent" ("Green Man Review") author of "Broken Blade" comes a new Fallen Blade novel featuring Aral Kingslayer. Former temple assassin Aral Kingslayer has a price on his head and a mark on his soul. After his goddess was murdered, Aral found refuge in the shadow jack business, fixing problems for those on the fringes of Tien's underworld. It's a lo ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Bared Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bared Blade

Screw all this science and responsible reading in my "reading" shelf... more schlocky fantasy!!! Eating these page turners up.
Bared Blade, the second installment of the Fallen Blade series, sends us once again to the streets of Tien as Aral, once known as Aral Kingslayer, ekes out a meager living as a shadow jack, an informer, courier and all-around thief. A former member of a secret temple brotherhood, he was trained in the art of assassination and, at the behest of his goddess, he and Triss, his shadow familiar, would dispense justice to noble and commoner alike. Now, however, he spends most of his time in the tavern ...more
Action Packed & Full of Surprises

The 2nd installment of A Fallen Blade series was filled with action, plot twists & lots of serious fun. Our self-doubting hero is clawing his way from the bottom of a bottle to reclaim , not only who he was, but figuring our, who, he will become.
A very enjoyable story with a few missteps in over used idioms & repeated storyline, but it did its job & I anxiously await book 3. Thank you Kelly for sharing your magic.
Sometimes your first impressions are wrong. I'm not talking about simply judging a book by its cover: I'm talking about reading a book, selling it back to the bookstore because you feel no particular desire to read it again (let alone the next in the series), and then finding yourself so struck with remorse, so desperate to read more, that you spend several hours desperately scouring the bookshelves of Powell's because you can't remember the title or the author and you can't find it but you want ...more
I love this series. It's really just that simple. I don't get to read as much as I used to so book in hand time is serious to me. Why do I love this series? The plot is tight and filled with those breadcrumbs that make you stay up late reading because 'you just gotta know more'. The hero has just the right blend of nasty attitude and convenient magic. I like his kickass and ask questions later approach to survival. He is vulnerable too but not a wimp.

Ms. McCullough has cultivated a fan in this r
Fantasy Literature
Bared Blade is the second book in the FALLEN BLADE series. Kelly McCullough continues the story of Aral Kingslayer, survivor of the destruction of the Goddess Namara turned petty thief and spy.

Aral is still struggling with the revelation that other members of his cult survived the fall of his goddess. His experiences in Broken Blade have started to give him an inkling that there may be more to look forward to than alcoholic oblivion. The relationship between Aral and his familiar/partner Triss h
Full review here:

Once again, McCullough writes an excellent yarn, and I'm kind of curious as to what the next book in the series (that came out last December) has in store, given some of the plot development in this one. As I said last time, everything of his that I've read has been worth the time investment.
This is the second book in a series. While it stands on its own as a story it helps to fully understand the main character if you read the first book. Aral, the main character, is still crawling out of his addiction to alcohol caused by the destruction of his Goddess, his family (the temple) and his former life. The growth of the main character from simple action/reaction to actually thinking about the consequences and ramifications of all of his actions. The story revolves around Aral having to ...more
Veľmi vydarené pokračovanie, ktoré si udržalo dynamiku a pomerne rýchly spád. Kniha nie je perfektná, nepatrí medzi náročné čítanie ale sa ani sa tak netvári a to jej u mňa pol hviezdičky pridalo. Na oddychovku je napísaná sviežo, akčne a bez pátosu a moralizovania. A hrdina je dostatočne sympatická stratená existencia.
This was better by the first one, by about half a star, but there's no half stars. So same rating it is. Same plusses as #1, but the character development was pretty great and made it a better book. I very much enjoy this series.
I have to say that the change to the style really won me over. The pulp fantasy style of writing made Aral come to life in an amazing way.
I also loved a lot of the twists along the way and the flirting between Aral and Vala was just strange and surprising. The continued struggle for Aral to climb his way back out of the bottle is an amazing on and I love seeing him battle with himself about something as simple as one more drink. I have to track down the next book and se where it goes from here.
Angie Gaule
As good as the first, if not better.

I very much enjoy these characters, the world building, and the magic system. The stories are well crafted and the mystery is plausible. Well done.
Michael S. Orr
Entertaining easy read

The story is entertaining and the characters have some depth. I like the fact that each story so far has been self contained and is over when I get to the end.
I enjoyed the first book well enough that I was looking forward to the continuing adventures of Aral, but by the end of the book I was feeling frustrated with the decorative rearranging of the story facade which meant that really nothing had substantially changed from the first book. I still liked Aral, more or less but there was no real growth. The beginning and the ending of the story felt about the same, and weren't much changed from the first book even. I was hoping for more depth and develo ...more
Dave Ricchiazzi
I managed to make it through this one because I didn't want it to become a waste of money, but this book was annoying on a few different levels. Does every female character he works with have to become enamored with the main character? His powers and abilities seem to have grown by leaps and bounds from book one and I just could not maintain the same level of interest I had in book one. I like the overall setting, the different cultures with different magical abilities is neat, but this book did ...more
Favorite in the series so far. Love the relationship between Faran and Aral. Curious to see where the author takes the next book.
Debby Kean
Pretty good really (though not terribly memorable)
David Murray
I can't rate this series high enough. Awesome
This book was so much better the second time around. I couldn't find myself getting in to the story line the first time, when I tried to read it right after Broken Blade. With the recent release of the fourth book in the series, however, I wanted to give this another chance and I'm very glad I did. I liked the development of Aral's character, and the interactions between he and Triss. While a large amount of fantasy books tend to blur after I read them, this series seems to have enough personali ...more
Michael Jones
I really enjoyed this novel and am now a fan of Aral. There was some repetition of the first book in the second, which likely stood out more to me having read them in quick succession. I thoroughly enjoy the fascinating world, compelling characters, and interesting plot-lines. The Fallen blade series is a reasonably strong espionage thriller, mated to a story of the fight against the mated demons of alcoholism and despair.

McCullough has done more than enough to compel me to read the rest of this
Better than the first book. Aral was more competent in this book though there were still moments when I wanted to shake him for being an idiot or just plain failing. For a guy who used to be a super awesome assassin who snuck into places and killed kings, you think he'd be better at sneaking around and not being seen.

Still, it was a light and enjoyable read. I was glad to see Aral developing a sense of humor as the jokes he made were pretty funny. Triss as always, was awesome from start to finis
Better than the first. Really cool noir detective feel to the narration, especially in the beginning. I would have liked a stronger plot to tie the series together, a stronger sense of the overarching plot structure, but I can kind of see it start to take shape toward the end. I'm not really sure if there is actually meant to be an overarching plot or if this series is meant to be 'adventures of Aral'.
Good enough to get me to continue on to the next book. Not great, but fun.
Even better than the first!!
Jared Paddick
So help me, I wanted to like this series so much...But I just can't make myself care. The interplay between Aral and Triss is wonderful. The plot isn't bad, if a little recycled and Aral's continued evolution to find a new path is at times heartbreaking and joyous.

I don't know if it is the writing or what, but I'm officially putting this series down.
I read book 2 without reading book 1. And, I fell in love with the author's writing style. The book came alive for me. Loved it!! Gearing up to read #1 then off to #3, etc.

I love how easily the world is explained; even though it is vastly different from ours. Yet, it's explained very subtly; none if the awkwardness that is so often found in fantasy novels.

A definite must read!
This isn't the best fantasy I have ever read, but it had some definite high points. The author has created some incredibly original new creatures and mage-familiar bonds that were very fun to read. I also like the voice in which she writes. It is a wry humor that made me chuckle more than once. I'll keep my eye out for the new book coming out in December 2012.
Ju Transcendancing
Characters that grow and change, that's what I want from series I read, and McCullough continues to deliver. I love that I have no idea quite how Aral will put himself together again, and neither does anyone else, but it's clear he's trying to figure it all out. I love the questioning and the story and the depths to which Aral will go to fulfil on promises made.
loved it,
the world has an oddly modern feel to it that compliments the fantasy setting. You get to further explore Kingslayer as a person and have to stop yourself from cheering out loud at his personal victories. I still wish that the drama was toned down a tad, but the improved dialog between Triss and his partner makes it all worth while.
I always enjoy Kelly's work, and this book is no exception. Political machinations, a great buddy relationship, a fun McGuffin, and lots of snappy dialogue make this a non-bloated book 2 in the Blades series. Tightly plotted, this book made me smile with every twist and turn. Good stuff!
Fun and different, a semi-romantic, witty, fantasy detective story
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • Phoenix Rising
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • The Conqueror's Shadow
  • The Silent Dragon (Children of The Dragon Nimbus, #1)
  • Dragon and Soldier (Dragonback, #2)
  • Goblin War (Jig the Goblin, #3)
  • The Hammer and the Blade (Egil and Nix #1)
  • Babylon Steel (Babylon Steel, #1)
  • Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4)
  • Den of Thieves (Ancient Blades, #1)
  • Return to Honor (Powder Mage, #1.5)
  • Shadow's Master (Shadow Saga, #3)
  • The Silver Lake (Warriors of Estavia, #1)
  • The Outcast Blade (The Assassini, #2)
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
Kelly McCullough was raised and educated by free-range hippies. Later he received a degree in theater and worked in improv. That combination was the perfect preparation for his current career as author and cat herder. He lives and writes in the Midwest with his physics-professor wife, Laura. He enjoys hiking and biking and his role as self-heating cat furniture. He is the author of the WebMage and ...more
More about Kelly McCullough...

Fallen Blade (6 books)
  • Broken Blade (Fallen Blade, #1)
  • Crossed Blades (Fallen Blade, #3)
  • Blade Reforged (Fallen Blade, #4)
  • Drawn Blades (Fallen Blade, #5)
  • Darkened Blade (Fallen Blade #6)