Start by marking “Bared Blade (Fallen Blade, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bared Blade (Fallen Blade, #2)

Bared Blade (Fallen Blade #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,604 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
From the "inventive, irreverent" ("Green Man Review") author of "Broken Blade" comes a new Fallen Blade novel featuring Aral Kingslayer. Former temple assassin Aral Kingslayer has a price on his head and a mark on his soul. After his goddess was murdered, Aral found refuge in the shadow jack business, fixing problems for those on the fringes of Tien's underworld. It's a lo ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Bared Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bared Blade

Judith Brivulet
Feb 03, 2016 Judith Brivulet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eine gelungene Fortsetzung und eines der wenigen eBooks, bei denen ich mir überlege, sie auch in gedruckter Version zu kaufen. Kelly Mc Cullough schafft es in beneidenswerter Art, den Leser mit den ersten Sätzen in die Welt von Aral, den Schattenlöhner zu versetzen. Die Verbindung von Aral und seinem Finsterling Triss wird, ohne hier spoilern zu wollen, enger. Das Abenteuer, das die beiden zu bestehen haben, ist spannend erzählt und die Wesen, denen sie begegnen fand ich sehr überzeugend. Fazit: ...more
Elwen
Way better than #1, with lovely character development and an amazing cast of new creatures.
Bpaul
Apr 05, 2015 Bpaul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Screw all this science and responsible reading in my "reading" shelf... more schlocky fantasy!!! Eating these page turners up.
Ashley
Sep 29, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bared Blade, the second installment of the Fallen Blade series, sends us once again to the streets of Tien as Aral, once known as Aral Kingslayer, ekes out a meager living as a shadow jack, an informer, courier and all-around thief. A former member of a secret temple brotherhood, he was trained in the art of assassination and, at the behest of his goddess, he and Triss, his shadow familiar, would dispense justice to noble and commoner alike. Now, however, he spends most of his time in the tavern ...more
Michael
Mar 31, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action Packed & Full of Surprises

The 2nd installment of A Fallen Blade series was filled with action, plot twists & lots of serious fun. Our self-doubting hero is clawing his way from the bottom of a bottle to reclaim , not only who he was, but figuring our, who, he will become.
A very enjoyable story with a few missteps in over used idioms & repeated storyline, but it did its job & I anxiously await book 3. Thank you Kelly for sharing your magic.
Heather Turiello
I picked up this series a while ago and am really glad I finally dug into it. I'd classify it as one of those fast and fun reads. This review is for the series (I'm done with the first 3 books at this time.)
I don't outline the plot or introduce any characters in my reviews as a rule since so many people do, so if you're looking for that info, keep scanning the reviews. I will tell you how I classify the book and what I thought about the story.
The story line is solid enough, though I wish ther
C. H.  Knyght
May 29, 2017 C. H. Knyght rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a solid read. I am excited to track down the next one to read. The diverse types of species that population the world in this series is very interesting. Water dragons, mages, and elementals are only the base of them.
Trevor Buckner
Oct 06, 2016 Trevor Buckner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Summary:

"I don't like it either, but it's our only option."
"Hold on, I think I missed a step. What have we been doing for the last three hours?"
"I'll explain later. First let me tell you something unrelated."
"Luckily, I have this ability I forgot to mention earlier."
"This makes me want some some alcohol."
"Remember that person from the last book? Yeah me neither."
"We have to do A and B. It doesn't really matter the order, but lets discuss that for a while anyway."
"I really need some alcohol this
Gwyn
Dec 30, 2013 Gwyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Sometimes your first impressions are wrong. I'm not talking about simply judging a book by its cover: I'm talking about reading a book, selling it back to the bookstore because you feel no particular desire to read it again (let alone the next in the series), and then finding yourself so struck with remorse, so desperate to read more, that you spend several hours desperately scouring the bookshelves of Powell's because you can't remember the title or the author and you can't find it but you want ...more
Fantasy Literature
Bared Blade is the second book in the FALLEN BLADE series. Kelly McCullough continues the story of Aral Kingslayer, survivor of the destruction of the Goddess Namara turned petty thief and spy.

Aral is still struggling with the revelation that other members of his cult survived the fall of his goddess. His experiences in Broken Blade have started to give him an inkling that there may be more to look forward to than alcoholic oblivion. The relationship between Aral and his familiar/partner Triss h
Karen
May 16, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, hardcopy
This is the second book in a series. While it stands on its own as a story it helps to fully understand the main character if you read the first book. Aral, the main character, is still crawling out of his addiction to alcohol caused by the destruction of his Goddess, his family (the temple) and his former life. The growth of the main character from simple action/reaction to actually thinking about the consequences and ramifications of all of his actions. The story revolves around Aral having to ...more
Alex
Aug 05, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Bared Blade" is book # of the Fallen Blade series. I think it is better than book #1 of the series, Broken Blade.

The story: Aral Kingslayer tries to help two women who come into his regular bar, but their mission is greater than he could have imagined. Aral must stop a war.

Any problems? Well... it has at the same level of sexual tension in the story as one has seen in the previous book. The F-word is used. A child is in deadly danger, but for the most part the child seems powerful enough to pro
Charty
Jul 22, 2013 Charty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first book well enough that I was looking forward to the continuing adventures of Aral, but by the end of the book I was feeling frustrated with the decorative rearranging of the story facade which meant that really nothing had substantially changed from the first book. I still liked Aral, more or less but there was no real growth. The beginning and the ending of the story felt about the same, and weren't much changed from the first book even. I was hoping for more depth and develo ...more
Beth
Aral Kingslayer is slowly dragging himself out of the bottle after the adventures from the first book of the series.
Triss, his familiar, asks him to help out two young women who come into his local bar. Things turn decidedly nasty during the encounter and Aral comes to the notice of the authorities, who needless to say, are extremely dangerous and thoroughly nasty. Someone (or thing) else is also on the lookout for the women and another group of interesting magical creations from this world-make
Joseph Santiago
Feb 06, 2017 Joseph Santiago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is really growing on me. The Dryads were an interesting character to include here as the hidden and visible aspects of their nature was appealing to me. This story had a few twists to it and some character development that I hope will carry over to the next book. This was a good read.

Mr. Joe
jD
Feb 17, 2014 jD rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014_all
I love this series. It's really just that simple. I don't get to read as much as I used to so book in hand time is serious to me. Why do I love this series? The plot is tight and filled with those breadcrumbs that make you stay up late reading because 'you just gotta know more'. The hero has just the right blend of nasty attitude and convenient magic. I like his kickass and ask questions later approach to survival. He is vulnerable too but not a wimp.

Ms. McCullough has cultivated a fan in this r
Ian yarington
May 20, 2016 Ian yarington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book is totally different from the first one but not necessarily in a bad way. The second book can easily stand alone and doesn't rely on the first or the origin of Aral to keep it going, in fact, I think the second book isn't even really close to the first. There are some other characters from the first book that come back but the queen who was a big part of the first book isn't even mentioned in this one, but again, that is ok because the book didn't lack for character develop ...more
Mphecker
Sep 09, 2012 Mphecker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much better the second time around. I couldn't find myself getting in to the story line the first time, when I tried to read it right after Broken Blade. With the recent release of the fourth book in the series, however, I wanted to give this another chance and I'm very glad I did. I liked the development of Aral's character, and the interactions between he and Triss. While a large amount of fantasy books tend to blur after I read them, this series seems to have enough personali ...more
Paul
Jan 09, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that the change to the style really won me over. The pulp fantasy style of writing made Aral come to life in an amazing way.
I also loved a lot of the twists along the way and the flirting between Aral and Vala was just strange and surprising. The continued struggle for Aral to climb his way back out of the bottle is an amazing on and I love seeing him battle with himself about something as simple as one more drink. I have to track down the next book and se where it goes from here.
Michael Jones
I really enjoyed this novel and am now a fan of Aral. There was some repetition of the first book in the second, which likely stood out more to me having read them in quick succession. I thoroughly enjoy the fascinating world, compelling characters, and interesting plot-lines. The Fallen blade series is a reasonably strong espionage thriller, mated to a story of the fight against the mated demons of alcoholism and despair.

McCullough has done more than enough to compel me to read the rest of this
Dave Ricchiazzi
I managed to make it through this one because I didn't want it to become a waste of money, but this book was annoying on a few different levels. Does every female character he works with have to become enamored with the main character? His powers and abilities seem to have grown by leaps and bounds from book one and I just could not maintain the same level of interest I had in book one. I like the overall setting, the different cultures with different magical abilities is neat, but this book did ...more
Rae
Better than the first book. Aral was more competent in this book though there were still moments when I wanted to shake him for being an idiot or just plain failing. For a guy who used to be a super awesome assassin who snuck into places and killed kings, you think he'd be better at sneaking around and not being seen.

Still, it was a light and enjoyable read. I was glad to see Aral developing a sense of humor as the jokes he made were pretty funny. Triss as always, was awesome from start to finis
Raman
Jun 10, 2013 Raman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Better than the first. Really cool noir detective feel to the narration, especially in the beginning. I would have liked a stronger plot to tie the series together, a stronger sense of the overarching plot structure, but I can kind of see it start to take shape toward the end. I'm not really sure if there is actually meant to be an overarching plot or if this series is meant to be 'adventures of Aral'.
Good enough to get me to continue on to the next book. Not great, but fun.
Ju Transcendancing
Characters that grow and change, that's what I want from series I read, and McCullough continues to deliver. I love that I have no idea quite how Aral will put himself together again, and neither does anyone else, but it's clear he's trying to figure it all out. I love the questioning and the story and the depths to which Aral will go to fulfil on promises made.
James
Jul 20, 2014 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review here:

Once again, McCullough writes an excellent yarn, and I'm kind of curious as to what the next book in the series (that came out last December) has in store, given some of the plot development in this one. As I said last time, everything of his that I've read has been worth the time investment.
Jared Paddick
So help me, I wanted to like this series so much...But I just can't make myself care. The interplay between Aral and Triss is wonderful. The plot isn't bad, if a little recycled and Aral's continued evolution to find a new path is at times heartbreaking and joyous.

I don't know if it is the writing or what, but I'm officially putting this series down.
Susana789
May 29, 2015 Susana789 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Veľmi vydarené pokračovanie, ktoré si udržalo dynamiku a pomerne rýchly spád. Kniha nie je perfektná, nepatrí medzi náročné čítanie ale sa ani sa tak netvári a to jej u mňa pol hviezdičky pridalo. Na oddychovku je napísaná sviežo, akčne a bez pátosu a moralizovania. A hrdina je dostatočne sympatická stratená existencia.
Nai Wang
Dec 22, 2016 Nai Wang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm writing this review for the 5 books I read back to back. Overall it took a while to get into the characters but as they developed it was a really engrossing world she built. I would recommend the series as an interesting read but only after some major series have already been checked off the bucket list.
Merilee
I read book 2 without reading book 1. And, I fell in love with the author's writing style. The book came alive for me. Loved it!! Gearing up to read #1 then off to #3, etc.

I love how easily the world is explained; even though it is vastly different from ours. Yet, it's explained very subtly; none if the awkwardness that is so often found in fantasy novels.

A definite must read!
Johnwedd
Jul 11, 2012 Johnwedd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it,
the world has an oddly modern feel to it that compliments the fantasy setting. You get to further explore Kingslayer as a person and have to stop yourself from cheering out loud at his personal victories. I still wish that the drama was toned down a tad, but the improved dialog between Triss and his partner makes it all worth while.
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • The Conqueror's Shadow
  • Goblin War (Jig the Goblin, #3)
  • The Hammer and the Blade (Egil and Nix #1)
  • Dragon and Soldier (Dragonback, #2)
  • Magic in Ithkar I
  • The Color of Vengeance (The Ties That Bind, #2)
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
  • The Paladin Caper (Rogues of the Republic, #3)
  • Please Save My Earth, Vol. 15
  • Worldsoul (Worldsoul, #1)
  • Murder at the Kinnen Hotel (Powder Mage, #0.3)
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • The Shadowed Throne (The Risen Sun, #2)
  • Tears of the Furies (The Menagerie, #2)
  • Talion: Revenant
Kelly McCullough was raised and educated by free-range hippies. Later he received a degree in theater and worked in improv. That combination was the perfect preparation for his current career as author and cat herder. He lives and writes in the Midwest with his physics-professor wife, Laura. He enjoys hiking and biking and his role as self-heating cat furniture. He is the author of the WebMage and ...more
More about Kelly McCullough...

Fallen Blade (6 books)
  • Broken Blade (Fallen Blade, #1)
  • Crossed Blades (Fallen Blade, #3)
  • Blade Reforged (Fallen Blade, #4)
  • Drawn Blades (Fallen Blade, #5)
  • Darkened Blade (Fallen Blade #6)