Start by marking “Finding Emma” as Want to Read:
Finding Emma

Finding Emma

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
No one likes Jack. His wife is gone and his neighbors avoid him. He's a recluse and a creep and that's just the way he wants it.

But when ten-year old Emma goes missing in the nearby woods, the eyes of his neighbors turn on him in fear and accusation, escalating as the days pass. The answers they--and the reader--get, however, are the last that anyone would suspect...

Find
Published July 24th 2012 (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Emma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Emma

Jessica
Dec 25, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
I'm not usually a reader of short stories, but when I was sent to event to be able to download these free I thought "why not?"

I quite enjoyed this. Most books are hugely descriptive and give lots of details about what characters look like, what kind of person they are etc. But this book almost allows the characters actions to speak for themselves, you get a sense of who they are through their actions, and as for what they look like, you get to use your imagination. So essentially each person co
Marge
Sep 03, 2012 Marge rated it really liked it
Sorry, took me a few days to process what exactly I would like to relate about this story.

Finding Emma had the effect of causing me to stop and take notice of my own neighbors, relationships with them, how others are treated, and mental judgments. I came away from the story asking myself: What if Emma had been lost in MY neighborhood? And what if My neighbor was Jack Tate?

I recommend Finding Emma as an engaging, quick read. I do like a story that leaves me thinking about it for awhile after I ha
Cynthia Rielley
Nov 02, 2012 Cynthia Rielley rated it it was amazing
Loved it, hoped it was going where I thought and it did so in a great way.
DE ANN ALLEN
Oct 28, 2014 DE ANN ALLEN rated it liked it
This book was disturbing to read

Am not sure why I purchased this book. Using the title Emma, I was hoping for a great story. This didn't happen and I was glad to know the young girl was fine.
Esme
Mar 31, 2013 Esme rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Finding Emma ist Stephen Dobyns gewidmet und dieses kurze Kriminalstück hat große Ähnlichkeit mit The Church of dead Girls (Die Kirche der toten Mädchen). Jack Tate ist ein Illustrator, dessen Frau ihn vor kurzem verlassen hat. Ein Außenseiter in der kleinen Gemeinschaft. Als die elfjährige Emma verschwindet, richtet sich der Verdacht gegen ihn. Der Ich-Erzähler ist nicht sehr sympathisch und unberechenbar. Durch diese Perspektive wird eine intensive Spannung und Ungewißheit erzeugt. Ganz sicher ...more
Michelle
Feb 22, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
Another great short one from Matthew Iden! I never thought I'd appreciate short stories, but I'm starting to. It must be extremely hard to try to condense a story, making sure you aren't leaving important details out.

Anyways, back to the novel. This was a great read. This story actually happens in reality a lot more then people would like to think. The twist at the ending had my mouth hanging open. Matthew, STOP doing that!! It's making me want more!

Onto another Matthew adventure!
Charissa
Oct 23, 2013 Charissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I love Iden’s crisp writing style. His characters come to life on the page, and his writing is painfully beautiful. When Emma can't be found, her parents start a neighborhood search, and soon, suspicion turns Jack's way. This story took me for surprise at the end, but it was a thoroughly fun and horrific adventure getting lost in Jack's world.
Conny
Jan 02, 2013 Conny rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a free download and I loved it. I bet a lot of neighborhoods have the odd neighbor that everybody talks about or is ready to blame if things go wrong. This book definitely makes you think about your neighbors and it stayed with me long after I had finished reading it. A great short story that should not be missed.
Jim Nolt
Mar 04, 2015 Jim Nolt rated it really liked it
Wonderful short story from Matthew Iden with a little twist at the end that would have been perfect for an episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour." In fact, I expected Hitch to make a snide remark about the sponsor as I closed my Kindle and turned off the light.
Becki
Nov 28, 2013 Becki rated it it was amazing
Kudos Matt -- great short story. Had me guessing until the end, and I didn't see the ending coming! You have a fan for life and I can't wait to read the next Marty Singer book (a review AND a plug!!). Keep them coming!
Amanda
Feb 20, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
So well done....soooooo well. At the end I was just gaping.

Wonderfully developed character and story line. Bravo again Mr. Iden!
Mark Polino
Apr 02, 2013 Mark Polino rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, 2013
Perfect length for this story. I confess I did not see that ending coming. Well done.
Donna
Aug 07, 2012 Donna is currently reading it
Just started to read.. be back in a bit!
Melissa Banda
Melissa Banda marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Joy Jensen
Joy Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Lori
Lori added it
Mar 25, 2016
Aileen
Aileen marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Mommacat
Mommacat marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Tamara Brown
Tamara Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Terrie Stevens
Terrie Stevens marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Raymond Stone
Raymond Stone marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Gerald F Nursement
Gerald F Nursement rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Rhena
Rhena marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Shannon Hodges teter
Shannon Hodges teter rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Karen Bell
Karen Bell marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Eric
Eric added it
May 26, 2015
Lisa Richards
Lisa Richards marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Jay Hill
Jay Hill marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I write fantasy, science fiction, horror, thrillers, crime fiction, and contemporary literary fiction with a psychological twist.

I’ve held jobs with the US Postal Service, international non-profit groups, a short stint with the Forest Service in Sitka, Alaska, and time with the globe-spanning Semester at Sea program. Trips to Iceland, Patagonia, and Antarctica added to the creative pot, as well,
More about Matthew Iden...