Start by marking “Finding Emma” as Want to Read:
Finding Emma

Finding Emma

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  14 reviews
No one likes Jack. His wife is gone and his neighbors avoid him. He's a recluse and a creep and that's just the way he wants it.

But when ten-year old Emma goes missing in the nearby woods, the eyes of his neighbors turn on him in fear and accusation, escalating as the days pass. The answers they--and the reader--get, however, are the last that anyone would suspect...

Find
Published July 24th 2012 (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Emma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Emma

Jessica
I'm not usually a reader of short stories, but when I was sent to event to be able to download these free I thought "why not?"

I quite enjoyed this. Most books are hugely descriptive and give lots of details about what characters look like, what kind of person they are etc. But this book almost allows the characters actions to speak for themselves, you get a sense of who they are through their actions, and as for what they look like, you get to use your imagination. So essentially each person co
E.J. Russell

Genre: Thriller/Mystery
Stars: 4

This was a fun short read, perfect for bedtime or a short distance travel read. I really enjoyed the unravelling of the tale and utterly believed the characters and setting. I especially liked the suburban location and the well described mentality of the neighbours: I could totally see them in my mind's eye.
The ending was delicious and somehow I couldn't help liking the main character Jack, even though no-one else in the book seems to.
A juicy morsel for those addic
Marge
Sorry, took me a few days to process what exactly I would like to relate about this story.

Finding Emma had the effect of causing me to stop and take notice of my own neighbors, relationships with them, how others are treated, and mental judgments. I came away from the story asking myself: What if Emma had been lost in MY neighborhood? And what if My neighbor was Jack Tate?

I recommend Finding Emma as an engaging, quick read. I do like a story that leaves me thinking about it for awhile after I ha
Cynthia Rielley
Loved it, hoped it was going where I thought and it did so in a great way.
DE ANN ALLEN
This book was disturbing to read

Am not sure why I purchased this book. Using the title Emma, I was hoping for a great story. This didn't happen and I was glad to know the young girl was fine.
Esme
Finding Emma ist Stephen Dobyns gewidmet und dieses kurze Kriminalstück hat große Ähnlichkeit mit The Church of dead Girls (Die Kirche der toten Mädchen). Jack Tate ist ein Illustrator, dessen Frau ihn vor kurzem verlassen hat. Ein Außenseiter in der kleinen Gemeinschaft. Als die elfjährige Emma verschwindet, richtet sich der Verdacht gegen ihn. Der Ich-Erzähler ist nicht sehr sympathisch und unberechenbar. Durch diese Perspektive wird eine intensive Spannung und Ungewißheit erzeugt. Ganz sicher ...more
Michelle
Another great short one from Matthew Iden! I never thought I'd appreciate short stories, but I'm starting to. It must be extremely hard to try to condense a story, making sure you aren't leaving important details out.

Anyways, back to the novel. This was a great read. This story actually happens in reality a lot more then people would like to think. The twist at the ending had my mouth hanging open. Matthew, STOP doing that!! It's making me want more!

Onto another Matthew adventure!
Charissa
I love Iden’s crisp writing style. His characters come to life on the page, and his writing is painfully beautiful. When Emma can't be found, her parents start a neighborhood search, and soon, suspicion turns Jack's way. This story took me for surprise at the end, but it was a thoroughly fun and horrific adventure getting lost in Jack's world.
Conny
I got this book as a free download and I loved it. I bet a lot of neighborhoods have the odd neighbor that everybody talks about or is ready to blame if things go wrong. This book definitely makes you think about your neighbors and it stayed with me long after I had finished reading it. A great short story that should not be missed.
Jim Nolt
Wonderful short story from Matthew Iden with a little twist at the end that would have been perfect for an episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour." In fact, I expected Hitch to make a snide remark about the sponsor as I closed my Kindle and turned off the light.
Becki
Kudos Matt -- great short story. Had me guessing until the end, and I didn't see the ending coming! You have a fan for life and I can't wait to read the next Marty Singer book (a review AND a plug!!). Keep them coming!
Amanda
So well done....soooooo well. At the end I was just gaping.

Wonderfully developed character and story line. Bravo again Mr. Iden!
Mark Polino
Perfect length for this story. I confess I did not see that ending coming. Well done.
Donna
Aug 07, 2012 Donna is currently reading it
Just started to read.. be back in a bit!
Rhena
Rhena marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Karen Bell
Karen Bell marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Eric
Eric added it
May 26, 2015
Lisa Richards
Lisa Richards marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Jay Hill
Jay Hill marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Debra Barstad
Debra Barstad marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Amy Lesch
Amy Lesch marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Cathleen McCain
Cathleen McCain marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Lilac Wolf
Lilac Wolf marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Charity Roelker
Charity Roelker marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Marjie
Marjie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Corinna
Corinna marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I write fantasy, science fiction, horror, thrillers, crime fiction, and contemporary literary fiction with a psychological twist.

I’ve held jobs with the US Postal Service, international non-profit groups, a short stint with the Forest Service in Sitka, Alaska, and time with the globe-spanning Semester at Sea program. Trips to Iceland, Patagonia, and Antarctica added to the creative pot, as well,
More about Matthew Iden...
A Reason to Live (Marty Singer #1) Blueblood (Marty Singer #2) The Spike (Marty Singer #4) One Right Thing (Marty Singer #3) Blueblood (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 2)