Start by marking “Uppuva pardi juhtum” as Want to Read:
Uppuva pardi juhtum

Uppuva pardi juhtum (Perry Mason #20)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  433 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Raamatus satub advokaat Perry Mason aina uudsetesse olukordadesse. Ta saab teada, kuidas on võimalik parte uputada ning mis tunne on kohtuistungit publiku seast pealt vaadata. Seda kõike õpib ta tuttavatest kohtusaalidest ja vastasmängijatest kaugel - keset luulelist kõrbemaastikku, kus pannakse toime ülimalt teaduslikke tapatöid. Kuid Mason ise esineb ikka oma tuntud head ...more
Paperback, Öölane #125, 302 pages
Published 2011 by Elmatar (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Uppuva pardi juhtum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uppuva pardi juhtum

Jim
I picked this up as a Kindle ebook and Amazon has a number of Erle Stanley Gardner books available. I loved the old TV series with Raymond Burr and the slightly newer ones featuring a much older Raymon Burr. I like that the ebook format is allowing us to revisit a lot of older authors. I am sometimes disappointed as I was with Leslie Charteris "Enter the Saint". Often these older novels just don't stand the test of time but that isn't the case here. Yes, the world has changed since the time this ...more
Eric_W
Jun 19, 2011 Eric_W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-drama
I picked up a bunch of old Perry Mason mysteries and thought I’d try one. I fondly remember reading several when I was a kid and they hold up well. There are the usual archaic references to contemporary technology, and one very jarring reference to a Red River Valley in California where there were large cotton farms. That was a bit ungeographical. Not to mention the constant cigarette smoking . It was just a given that everyone smoked. And women were to be good-looking and useful.

Nevertheless, i
Vitasta Chaturvedi
"I am working for a blind woman. They carve her image on courthouses. She has a pair of scales in one hand and a sword in the other. They call her Justice, and she is the one I am working for, right at the moment."

An amazing reply by Perry Mason to his client when tries to implies that he is employed by him.
This time again Mason won't let case and clues come to him, even if the case is 18 years old.
Whiterspoon, an arrogant father asks Mason to investigate an old case involving the father of hi
Mark Stratton
Just another atypical typical Perry Mason story. Courtroom hysterics, more suspects than you can shake a duck at, and a duck that sinks.

It is interesting to read a book, set in the present at the time of its writing that is instructive of new developments that we take for granted today. Detergents were something relatively new at the time, and not referred to in the same fashion as we would consider them today.

And there was a drowning duck....sort of.
Swathi
Sep 27, 2015 Swathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mason
Absolutely brilliant! This is a perfect example of how unexpected twists and turns can happen! What caught my attention was the title of the book and how can it ever be related to a murder?! The first 100 pages wasnt that interesting and i took almost 3 days to finish it. The last 100 was completed in one go ! Trust me , it kept me glued. By the time i finished, i was like , what ??

The client, Mr. Witherspoon is a rich business man who considers Family as his priority. He has a daughter Lois, wh
Steve
Mar 25, 2013 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Drowning Duck is my second Mason, although a much earlier story than my prior. My first foray was a latter Gardner from the sixties, while this was written in ’42. My one comment about Mason still stands from my last review…why are people so enamored with a Lawyer. Okay, different time and place. Newspapers were certainly more relevant for getting news as opposed to TV, hence you are likely to be more up on local versus national/world news. As such, local court cases would get more face time ...more
Dolly
Jun 18, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: mystery, other-usa, 2011
This was a quick and intriguing read. I've only read a few books in the Erle Stanley Gardner. It was an interesting story and although it was written almost 70 years ago, it seems almost timeless. I thought the description of "detergent" was very funny, however, considering the advances of technology in our cleaning materials. Overall it was a very entertaining story and was perfect for a long flight home.

interesting quote:
"Every man who has lived enough to be more than a stuffed shirt, has a c
Kevin
Jan 04, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So how do you drown a duck without touching it? Perry Mason explains that there are actually two ways to do it in this fascinating novel.
Lois
Nov 08, 2014 Lois rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't follow this one for some reason. Too much real life going on to focus, I think.
Rupesh Goenka
A Super Suspenseful Perry Mason mystery...
DavidO
Jul 06, 2014 DavidO rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing outstanding here, but interesting enough.
Ed
Aug 07, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal
#20 in the Perry Mason series. This humerous entry has the distinction of being the only mystery I'm aware of to use a surfactant as a major plot element. Perry winds up juggling timetables and ducks.

Perry Mason series - Wealthy John L. Witherspoon hires Perry Mason to delve into a twenty-year-old murder case in order to prove that the young man Witherspoon's daughter intends to marry has homicidal impulses in his genes.
Juuli
Aug 17, 2012 Juuli rated it really liked it
Jessas, kui segane saab üks juhtum olla. Aga põnev ka. Osa asju suutsin ma välja nuputada, kuid osades asjades suutis autor mind ikka tõsiselt üllatada.
Leheküljel seitse oli ka üks vahva ütlus:
"Igal inimesel, kes on elanud küllalt kaua, et olla midagi rohkemat kui lihtsalt ülikonnatäide, on elus mõni suletud peatükk. Kui mitte, pole ta ka inimene."

Rebecca
Content - This is how a mystery should be - lots of twists and turns and complicated details muddying things up and a dizzying list of possible suspects.

Mechanics - The writing is not amazing but it passes very well.

Squeaky Clean? - Murders and affairs and such are only referred to not dwelt on or described. A few bad words.
Srivas
May 15, 2012 Srivas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The first Perry Mason I didn't particularly enjoy. Part of the problem is that the whole case is about Mason investigating events that occurred twenty years earlier, so we lack the famous courtroom drama.
Stven
Nov 08, 2013 Stven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 1942, the United States is sending young men to war, and a "detergent" is a newfangled chemical handy for parlor tricks. Perry Mason even then was a headstrong man of action and justice was his quest.
Donna
Feb 11, 2011 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Written during WW2. I saw the drowning duck experiment in a TV episode. Quite complicated mystery and lots of possible guilty parties. Was surprised to find out who killed the last victim.
Heather's Mum
Sep 12, 2007 Heather's Mum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dead man in the kitchen, gas fumes permeate the house, a duck seem to be drowning in the fishbowl, but it didn't die. Maybe that fact has something to do with murder?
Shannon
Oct 25, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I'm amazed at how Gardner continued to have fresh, complex plots for each Perry Mason book, even though he wrote 150 of them!
Vincent Darlage
Mar 09, 2010 Vincent Darlage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have read this one a couple of times and it always sticks with me - esp. the method for drowning the duck.
Jan 20, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars.
Hank
Aug 31, 2015 Hank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2015
my first Gardner...a lot better than I expected.
Cheryl
Dec 20, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2012, legal
Another fun Perry Mason mystery.
Rijo John
Nice and the usual stuff we expect.
John
Apr 11, 2011 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing.
Venkata Subrahmanyam
Venkata Subrahmanyam marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
kuldeep singh tomar
kuldeep singh tomar rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
NARASIMHAN SRINIVASAN
NARASIMHAN SRINIVASAN marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
David Stewart
David Stewart marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Phani
Phani rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (Hildegarde Withers #1)
  • The Mountain Cat Murders
  • Bricks and Mortality (Campbell and Carter Mystery, #3)
  • Death and Taxes
  • The Melting Clock (Toby Peters, #16)
  • Breaking News
  • Murder Off the Books (Sullivan Investigations Mystery, #1)
  • Quarantine In The Grand Hotel
  • The Pearl Harbor Murders (Disaster Series, #3)
  • There Was an Old Woman
  • Miss Fortune (Allie Fortune Mystery #1)
  • The Crossword Murder (Crossword Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • Line of Control: A Thriller on the Coming War in Asia
  • Rock Bottom
  • The Wrecking Crew (Matt Helm, #2)

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)