Start by marking “Uppuva pardi juhtum” as Want to Read:
Uppuva pardi juhtum

Uppuva pardi juhtum (Perry Mason #20)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Raamatus satub advokaat Perry Mason aina uudsetesse olukordadesse. Ta saab teada, kuidas on võimalik parte uputada ning mis tunne on kohtuistungit publiku seast pealt vaadata. Seda kõike õpib ta tuttavatest kohtusaalidest ja vastasmängijatest kaugel - keset luulelist kõrbemaastikku, kus pannakse toime ülimalt teaduslikke tapatöid. Kuid Mason ise esineb ikka oma tuntud head...more
Published 2011 by Elmatar (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Uppuva pardi juhtum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uppuva pardi juhtum

Eric_W
I picked up a bunch of old Perry Mason mysteries and thought I’d try one. I fondly remember reading several when I was a kid and they hold up well. There are the usual archaic references to contemporary technology, and one very jarring reference to a Red River Valley in California where there were large cotton farms. That was a bit ungeographical. Not to mention the constant cigarette smoking . It was just a given that everyone smoked. And women were to be good-looking and useful.

Nevertheless, i...more
Mark Stratton
Just another atypical typical Perry Mason story. Courtroom hysterics, more suspects than you can shake a duck at, and a duck that sinks.

It is interesting to read a book, set in the present at the time of its writing that is instructive of new developments that we take for granted today. Detergents were something relatively new at the time, and not referred to in the same fashion as we would consider them today.

And there was a drowning duck....sort of.
Steve
The Drowning Duck is my second Mason, although a much earlier story than my prior. My first foray was a latter Gardner from the sixties, while this was written in ’42. My one comment about Mason still stands from my last review…why are people so enamored with a Lawyer. Okay, different time and place. Newspapers were certainly more relevant for getting news as opposed to TV, hence you are likely to be more up on local versus national/world news. As such, local court cases would get more face time...more
Dolly
Jun 18, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: 2011, mystery, other-usa
This was a quick and intriguing read. I've only read a few books in the Erle Stanley Gardner. It was an interesting story and although it was written almost 70 years ago, it seems almost timeless. I thought the description of "detergent" was very funny, however, considering the advances of technology in our cleaning materials. Overall it was a very entertaining story and was perfect for a long flight home.

interesting quote:
"Every man who has lived enough to be more than a stuffed shirt, has a c...more
Rebecca
Content - This is how a mystery should be - lots of twists and turns and complicated details muddying things up and a dizzying list of possible suspects.

Mechanics - The writing is not amazing but it passes very well.

Squeaky Clean? - Murders and affairs and such are only referred to not dwelt on or described. A few bad words.
Ravie
Another solid entertaining courtroom mystery with a clever ending! Pulp fiction cannot get better than this.
DavidO
Nothing outstanding here, but interesting enough.
Ed
#20 in the Perry Mason series. This humerous entry has the distinction of being the only mystery I'm aware of to use a surfactant as a major plot element. Perry winds up juggling timetables and ducks.

Perry Mason series - Wealthy John L. Witherspoon hires Perry Mason to delve into a twenty-year-old murder case in order to prove that the young man Witherspoon's daughter intends to marry has homicidal impulses in his genes.
Juuli
Jessas, kui segane saab üks juhtum olla. Aga põnev ka. Osa asju suutsin ma välja nuputada, kuid osades asjades suutis autor mind ikka tõsiselt üllatada.
Leheküljel seitse oli ka üks vahva ütlus:
"Igal inimesel, kes on elanud küllalt kaua, et olla midagi rohkemat kui lihtsalt ülikonnatäide, on elus mõni suletud peatükk. Kui mitte, pole ta ka inimene."

Srivas
The first Perry Mason I didn't particularly enjoy. Part of the problem is that the whole case is about Mason investigating events that occurred twenty years earlier, so we lack the famous courtroom drama.
Stven
It's 1942, the United States is sending young men to war, and a "detergent" is a newfangled chemical handy for parlor tricks. Perry Mason even then was a headstrong man of action and justice was his quest.
Donna
Written during WW2. I saw the drowning duck experiment in a TV episode. Quite complicated mystery and lots of possible guilty parties. Was surprised to find out who killed the last victim.
Heather's Mum
A dead man in the kitchen, gas fumes permeate the house, a duck seem to be drowning in the fishbowl, but it didn't die. Maybe that fact has something to do with murder?
Shannon
I'm amazed at how Gardner continued to have fresh, complex plots for each Perry Mason book, even though he wrote 150 of them!
Vincent Darlage
I have read this one a couple of times and it always sticks with me - esp. the method for drowning the duck.
Cheryl
Another fun Perry Mason mystery.
Rijo John
Nice and the usual stuff we expect.
Julita
Julita marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Oct 04, 2014
Pallavi
Pallavi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Rushit
Rushit marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Mud, Muck and Dead Things (Campbell and Carter Mystery, #1)
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • Tiger By The Tail
  • As You Do: Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana
  • The Tightrope Walker
  • I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #1)
  • The Edge of Tomorrow
  • The Mallen Streak
  • Cowboy & Wills: A Love Story
  • The Second Confession (Nero Wolfe, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Hidden House (The Five Find-Outers, #6)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • The Hollow (Hercule Poirot, #25)
  • Ten Days' Wonder
  • He Who Whispers (Dr. Gideon Fell, #16)
  • Comeback

Innovative and restless in his nature, he was bored by the routine of legal practice, the only part of which he enjoyed was trial work and the development of trial strategy. I...more
More about Erle Stanley Gardner...
The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1) The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery) The Case of the Runaway Corpse (Perry Mason Series) The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)