Start by marking “Borrowed Time” as Want to Read:
Borrowed Time

Borrowed Time

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  658 ratings  ·  56 reviews
New York Times Bestseller CJ Lyons has been praised as a "master of the genre" (Pittsburgh Magazine) for her "breathtakingly fast-paced" (Publishers Weekly) romantic medical thrillers.

Pittsburgh Police Officer Kate O'Hern is on the trail of a killer targeting cops. Only problem, he's already killed her once...

Trauma surgeon Joshua Lightner saved Kate's life, only to have h
ebook, Kobo edition
Published November 7th 2009 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Borrowed Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borrowed Time

Rhonda
Mar 31, 2012 Rhonda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys romantic suspense/thrillers
Awesome thriller! This was a fast-paced romantic suspense. One of the best that I've read in a while. I loved the main characters & their development throughout the novel. The hero & heroine have flaws which make them more likeable & believable. My only issue would be how quickly they fall in love. However, that is something I grapple with reading most books in the romance genre (which I like for the most part btw). With only a few pages to build the relationship it's a necessary com ...more
Megan
Borrowed Time by CJ Lyons is another thrilling ride. The book captures you from the first chapter and just gets better as it goes. It has a unique twist that makes it different from her other books, but just as thrilling and action packed. I would recommend this book to people who like medical thrillers, suspense stories, and action. It combines all three and keeps you hooked to the end.
Robert
Know the feeling when you see a great movie and you're walking out of the theater thinking about how great the movie was? That's the feeling you get when you get to the last page of this one. Borrowed Time is a great story, very well written, and leaves me looking for more from C.J. Lyons!
Heather
Nov 03, 2011 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like woo-woo romantic thrillers
And yet another cheap/free Kindle download. I should not hold against this book that it contains romance and psychic shit, because it was advertised as such. So, for mystery/thriller books containing romance and psychic shit, not bad. Looks like she's being set up to be an investigator in future books. I'd probably read one if I saw it lying around.
Donna
I liked the mystery of the story, but the romance became a bit far fetched. When someone is trying to kill you and your friend, I don't think you have time to fall-in-love. A bit silly!
Diana
Bailing out at 38%. Heroine has one dimension: macho, and it isn't working for me. Please, honey, get over yourself. Doesn't help that hero is a deer-in-the-headlights type.
Tracey Cramer-Kelly
CJ Lyons hasn’t disappointed me yet… Borrowed Time is another story with all the elements I enjoy: medical drama, lots of action/suspense and romance. So far, CJ Lyons is the closest I’ve found to an author with the same style writing as I.

The heroine is a cop with the character flaw of being TOO independent and strong-willed. Will she let her guard down and trust the good doctor in time? For his part, the good doctor struggles with his attraction to his patient and whether to set aside his clin
Arlena
Author: C. J. Lyons
Published By: Legacy Books
Age Recommend: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Raven Rating: 5
Blog Reviewed For: GMTA
Review:
It is my understanding that this novel "Borrowed Time" by C.J. Lyons was the very first thriller for this author. I must say she did a wonderful job on it! I believe the novel is well written due to the fact that C.J. Lyons is a really good story teller.
"Borrowed Time" starts out with a Pittsburgh Police Officer Kate O'Hern and her partner being targeted by a kil
Jo Ann Reinhold
This is only my second book by C.J. Lyons and all I can say is I will be reading more!
This story was so intense! A killer who finds that he has a special taste for killing cops develops an obsession with the one that got away. The cop that lived is in for the fight of her life in saving the people she cares about and herself! Fast paced with a lot of raw emotion!
Thank you C.J. Lyons, I loved it!
Taryn Elliott
i really enjoyed this book. it's much different from the medical drama stories that first drew me into CJ Lyon's work. she's got this quick style of writing that suits me as a reader. i like my stories to move and this one so didn't disappoint.

the para elements to this one weren't overbearing and the mystery of the killer was well thought out. the visions were a particular favorite of the story.

the only thing that didn't put this into the 5 star category was the love story. i needed a little mo
Ruth Ford Elward
Medical mystery thriller at its finest. I liked the blend of romance and mystery-thriller, something that CJ Lyons was able to pull off perfectly. This is probably one of the best novels I've read so far!
Courtney
Typical C.J. novel... Fast paced, exciting. Read in one sitting.
Ellie
This book was great!
Candy
Good read with heart

Vacation read with just enough suspense, romance and predictability that could be picked up any time you had a moment to read
Maureen
Super quick read. I liked this b/c it takes place in Pittsburgh (hometown), so it ws fun to read the different locations. I enjoyed the characters, as well as the psychic abilities of Kate (main character. Unlike others responses, I enjoyed the romance. It was a thriller trying to figure out the killer's next move,but no huge twists, which was laright with me b/c I just wanted a quick read.
Carol Preflatish
Excellent book. I had a hard time putting it down. Love CJ's books.
Katie
This books starts with a bang and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. It's about a cop and a doctor with some unusual characteristics. Both are people to care about and root for, and there are plenty of problems along the way. The violence is fast and fits the story, nothing gratuitous to my mind. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it.
Pmcdnld2
This could have been a good murder mystery but the romance element got a bit too hokey for me. A serial killer is targeting cops, one is brought back to life and falls for the surgeon. As she recovers, she starts having visions of others being murdered. She was just a bit too impulsive and irrational for me to believe some of her behavior.
Cathy
Romantic thriller with lots of action.
Kate and her partner are ambushed one night when responding to a robbery. Her partner is killed and so is Kate, until she gets to the hospital and is saved by a trauma surgeon. He soon falls in love with her but the killer has her in his sights. And the doctor, too.
Susan
I enjoyed reading the book partly because the medical "stuff" rings true which it should since CJ is a doctor. I tend to avoid a lot of books that rely heavily on medicine because so many people get it wrong and at that point, I get snapped out of the book as if I was put in a slingshot.
Bridget
I really liked the action and suspense in this book, mixed with a hint of the paranormal. I also loved that it was set in Pittsburgh, with all the quirks and language that comes with it. I wonder how many other readers are wondering what "redd up" means?

Hoping for a sequel...
Avis Exley
This started brilliantly - a really tense thriller with strong, believable characters. But around halfway through, it lost its momentum. The author has great talent and I'd definitely try more of her work, but sadly this one wasn't for me in the end.
Joni
A romantic thriller of the most readable kind! Very enjoyable read with a touch of the unknown--what would yoour reaction be if you were legally dead, brought back to life and then discovered you had the ability to see the future. Good read!
Anne OK
For some reason, I just couldn't get into this one easily. I may have to go back and reread at a later date. I liked the premise of the story and the characters. A new-to-me author that I will definitely keep an eye out for her books.
K'tee
I love CJ Lyons' books, especially the Lucy Guardino, FBI series. However, this is a great suspenseful romance & I loved reading it. It was fast-paced & held my attention throughout the book. Very Good Read!
Grace G
OMG this book was excellent from the first page to last. It was hard to put down and kept you in suspense. I really enjoyed this novel from C.J. Lyons. Looking forward to reading her other books.
Nancy Houston Fields
Policewoman, Kate O'Hern has already died once,but lived to tell not only about the death, but about future deaths. Convincing others of her newfound ability, before it's too late, is not so easy.
Chantal
I loved it - it had just enough suspense for me, just a little romance, and enough thrill to keep me on the edge of my seat through nearly every chapter! I'd recommend it for light-reading.
Heidi
What started as a pretty suspenseful story line fell apart as the romance thread took over... What a shame! The last quarter of the book was not nearly the page turner the book started out being.
Teresa
I enjoyed the suspense part of the book much more than the romance part of it. It was well worth my time to read. And this will not be my last C.J. Lyon book.
Teresa Reasor
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • The Brain Vault (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #3)
  • Hidden in Plain View:: A Darryl Billups Mystery
  • The Abbey
  • January Kills Me
  • Loose Screw (Dusty Deals Mystery #1)
  • Plan on It
  • Caribbean Moon
  • The Past Came Hunting
  • Capitol Reflections
  • Noble Cause, A
  • Eyewall
  • Silent Fall (Silent, #2)
  • On Thin Ice
  • Blood Island: A Matt Royal Mystery
  • Lost In Italy (Italy Intrigue, #1)
1993037
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-one novels, former pediatric ER doctor CJ Lyons has lived the life she writes about in her cutting edge Thrillers with Heart.

Winner of the International Thriller Writers coveted Thriller Award, CJ has been called a "master within the genre" (Pittsburgh Magazine) and her work has been praised as "breathtakingly fast-paced" and "riveting" (P
More about C.J. Lyons...
Snake Skin (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller, #1) Blind Faith (Caitlyn Tierney FBI Thriller, #1) Nerves of Steel (Hart and Drake, #1) Broken Blood Stained (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller, #2)