Start by marking “Hard Hit” as Want to Read:

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  31 reviews
As she did in her groundbreaking memoir, Learning to Swim, Turner takes on a tough subject through luminous poetry. The result is a shattering and healing journey through one boy's loss of a parent.

As the pitcher on his HS team, Mark lives and breathes baseball. Sure, there's pressure from his coach and his dad, who both push him hard, but it's nothing that time with his b
Published February 1st 2006 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Hard Hit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Hit

Perfect by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsCrank by Ellen HopkinsFallout by Ellen Hopkins
The Verse Challenge
44th out of 97 books — 49 voters
Crank by Ellen HopkinsI Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa SchroederIdentical by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen Hopkins
YA Novels in Verse
90th out of 118 books — 187 voters

More lists with this book...

Astrid
poignant. Each page has 1-3 sentences running down page. Short gulps of thought and emotion. Doesn't dwell on the type of cancer but the effects on everyone.
Becky Tucker
Mrs. Foley
Allie Z.
Hard Hit
I gave my book Hard Hit 5 stars because it was really good. Even though it was a poem it still had that flow of a book. When I started the book was kind of hard to under stand because of it confusing repeating of words but in the middle you finally come out of your blonde moment and understand it. I was also the fact that the parent had gotten a type of cancer that mad him really sick the connected me to the book because of a sad time when my mother got a cancer. It truly makes you so s
Heather Fields
I gave this book a 3 out of 5 stars. I think the idea and the concept of this book is a really cool and it works but I didn't like the way the author wrote it. The book was choppy and written almost in a poetic form and it was alittle boring. the last few pages were my favorite when *spoiler* author Ann Turner, had the son, Mark and daughter Josie and the wife of te dad all standing around his death bed, it really tied the book together and made it a worth while read.
Ania
Novels in verse are perfect medium to express young people emotions and this is shown in Hard Hit, by Ann Turner. The protagonist, Mark, is a star of a baseball team in his high school, living happily with his family in suburbia until a family drama takes place – his father is diagnosed with cancer. Mark questions God, love, future – the book becomes his memoir of emotions and philosophical questions. The book is divided into 4 parts, verses, double spaced, are printed only on one side which mak ...more
Taylor
I gave this book 4 stars because I really liked how Mark never gave up to be a better baseball player so he could get his no-hitter inning. I also liked how Mark and his dad had a really good connection even though the dads tumor was spreading and he was about to die. I liked that because the whole book was in a way touching because the whole family never gave up on hope and they stayed together during the whole time the dad was sick. I thought it was good because I think that a lot of people c ...more
Joeyr
Oct 11, 2011 Joeyr added it
Shelves: 2011q1
I like this book because it happens alot around the world. this book is about a high school kid named Mark. Mark loves baesball but has alot on his mind cause marks dad has cancer. Mark is the starting pitcher but cant really make it to practice as much cause he goes visits his dad at the hospital. Then marks dad passed away and mark was just so depressed. Now for every game he dedicates his games to his past away dad. This book reminds me of my best frind in louisisana his dad had cancer and h ...more
Yesi
Ann Turner is the author of Hard Hit. She found out herself that life is a surprise, and that nobody knows what is going to happen. Mark Warren finds himself in a good life but suddenly the coin turns out to be a suprise, he believes in love,God,and the future. I know that each person has lots of suprises in life, sometimes I get into someone else's shoes to know and feel how that person is suffering. If you get into somebody else's shoes that is suffering, you will know how that person is feeli ...more
John
It was okay probably just cause I like baseball and if you like sports it is a good option to go to if you need to read a book. I think this could be a real situation in real life because he's got everything he wants a girlfriend, a best friend, a family that loves him, and it helps when your the best pitcher on the team too. His dad gets a brain tumor and gets treatment and everything then on his CAT scan it says it's going away then out of no where he dies only to find out the doctors goofed ...more
Candice Smith
AMAZING! But, Very sad.
Marcia
A moving, beautiful novel in poem form (poem in novel form?) about a high school boy whose dad is dying of cancer. The short book fully captures each emotion Mark experiences and the deep love he has for his dad. Turner is a local author and the book is set in Westhampton, Ma. I appreciated that the family had a religious faith ( Catholic) and the caring relationship Mark has with his younger sister. Very touching and well done.
Allisen
I give this book a 4 because, it was because it was a really good book and really sad at the same time! Here is what the book was about, it was about a little boy named Mark his dad has cancer and Mark is scared his dad is going to die. Then his dad wont be able to teach him, his son how to play baseball and all of the other things his dad was going to do for his son Mark.
Josh
I thought it was a great book to read. I would recommend it to anyone. It is about when this kid who is a really good pitcher. One night, he finds out that his dad is dying of cancer. That game he pitches a no hitter, that means that they never hit the ball his dad is really proud of him. I think that Shay would really like this book or anyone who likes baseball.
Jasmine
This book was pretty good. The pages where really short, so it doesn't take long to read it.Marky likes to play baseball and is a good pitcher.But then his dad is diagnosed with cancer. He has a very had time with it. After a while things starts to get better, but then it gets worse. This book was good, but it was really short.
Margaret
"I think there's something
wrong with my eyes
everything looks the same...
- don't they know
everything is changed?
That I'll never be the same?"
It is so hard to put feelings into words - I love it when others can validate my feeling by expressing them in ways I never could. That is what this book does for me.
Shay Karlen
I thought this was a good book because it was about a kid who was really good at baseball, and he figured out that his dad had cancer. It was tough for him to hear, but he still played and was very sad. I recomend this book to people that like baseball and understand the game.

Tamsyn
I didn't care for this one too much, though there were some touching moments as the boy deals with his father's illness (pancreatic cancer), mostly because I didn't care for the poetry: it was awkward to me. I usually love verse novels, but this one didn't capture me.
Williamhernandez
Hard hit by Ann Turner was a wonderful book.Mark the protagonist was really scared that his dad was in the hospital. The reason why hes scared is because his dad was the only one that helped him with sports.Marks mother was the only one to
Sara
Whew! This one made me cry. The hardcover looks a lot longer than it actually is- I probably downed it in 20 minutes since it's double spaced poems mostly one-sided pages. It was nice to see Catholic protagonists- my students will like that.
Alexalion
The book Hard Hit is about a boy who plays baseball for his father. I think this is a touching story. Id reccomend it for anyone who is into sports,or who loves qreat sports story. id have to say i like the book.
Alicia
Turner's short novel in verse uses baseball to help Mark deal with his father's cancer while still trying to be a great pitcher, handle a girlfriend, and life as a teen. Succinct and truthful.
Alisha
Oct 02, 2009 Alisha is currently reading it
I love this book@! It has a lot of mystery and I love that. The Cancer in his father is spreading frequently but he will make it through
Jessica
You will cry.

Loved the poem format, but it threw off a few of my students. Hopefully they will pick it up again in the future.
Wendy
Love the poem format. Really reveals the emotions of the main character in a captivating way.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Novel in verse about a girl dealing with the death of her father.
Angelique
3.5 stars.

A heartbreakingly beautiful book.
Marissa Haight
This is a very sad book.
Olivia
fairly good read.
Mrs. Gallagher's ...: Novels in Verse Book Review 1 4 May 02, 2013 12:28AM
  • Splintering
  • Rubber Houses
  • One Good Punch
  • Shakespeare Bats Cleanup (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #1)
  • Tropical Secrets: Holocaust Refugees in Cuba
  • Unlocked
  • The Simple Gift
  • Keeping the Night Watch
  • Orchards
Ann Warren Turner is a children's author and a poet.
Ann Turner wrote her first story when she was eight years old. It was about a dragon and a dwarf named Puckity. She still uses that story when she talks to students about writing, to show them that they too have stories worth telling.
Turner has always loved to write, but at first she was afraid she couldn't make a living doing it. So she trained
More about Ann Turner...
The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America) Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America) Learning to Swim Father of Lies Pumpkin Cat