Start by marking “Hard Hit” as Want to Read:

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
As she did in her groundbreaking memoir, Learning to Swim, Turner takes on a tough subject through luminous poetry. The result is a shattering and healing journey through one boy's loss of a parent.

As the pitcher on his HS team, Mark lives and breathes baseball. Sure, there's pressure from his coach and his dad, who both push him hard, but it's nothing that time with his b
Published February 1st 2006 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Hard Hit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Hit

Crank by Ellen HopkinsPerfect by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen Hopkins
The Verse Challenge
52nd out of 104 books — 76 voters
Crank by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsGlass by Ellen Hopkins
Novels in Verse
223rd out of 245 books — 590 voters

More lists with this book...

Liam Ferris
Oct 09, 2015 Liam Ferris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
This was a very good book by Ann Turner, it was about a boy who played baseball. His dad had a brain tumor that seemed to get better, but then got worse and he sadly died. In the end, the boy reached his goal of pitching a no hitter against North Hampton High and told his dad just before he died. In the end of the book after the dads funeral, the boy and his friend Eddie, and his sister, buried the no-hitter baseball with some of his dads ashes. Overall i thought this was an amazing book and i w ...more
Joyce Lee
May 25, 2015 Joyce Lee rated it it was amazing
This book is about a boy named Matt and he's a sophomore in High School. He is living his life the fullest and hes enjoying his life. Matt gets a Girlfriend and he's is an amazing baseball player at school. He enjoys everything that is happening to him. This all changes until he finds out that his dad is diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. Matt's life starts changing he starts struggling with baseball and he becomes depressed. Matt and his dad's had a strong connection together. His dad is always ...more
Astrid
Jun 09, 2012 Astrid rated it really liked it
poignant. Each page has 1-3 sentences running down page. Short gulps of thought and emotion. Doesn't dwell on the type of cancer but the effects on everyone.
Becky Tucker
Dec 08, 2010 Becky Tucker rated it liked it
Shelves: 420-books
Tranna Foley
Jun 18, 2009 Tranna Foley rated it liked it
Shelves: hickman
Kiersten
Mark Warner was the star player of his high school baseball team. His life seemed to be good, until his father got a phone call saying that his pancreatic cancer has spread, which changed his life forever. As time goes on Mark explains how he is a teenage boy living his life, while his father is loosing his life. Read this book to find out what happens when there seems to be no hope, and it will have you on the edge of your seat.
Allie Z.
Dec 21, 2011 Allie Z. rated it it was amazing
Hard Hit
I gave my book Hard Hit 5 stars because it was really good. Even though it was a poem it still had that flow of a book. When I started the book was kind of hard to under stand because of it confusing repeating of words but in the middle you finally come out of your blonde moment and understand it. I was also the fact that the parent had gotten a type of cancer that mad him really sick the connected me to the book because of a sad time when my mother got a cancer. It truly makes you so s
Heather Fields
Sep 19, 2014 Heather Fields rated it liked it
I gave this book a 3 out of 5 stars. I think the idea and the concept of this book is a really cool and it works but I didn't like the way the author wrote it. The book was choppy and written almost in a poetic form and it was alittle boring. the last few pages were my favorite when *spoiler* author Ann Turner, had the son, Mark and daughter Josie and the wife of te dad all standing around his death bed, it really tied the book together and made it a worth while read.
Ania
Novels in verse are perfect medium to express young people emotions and this is shown in Hard Hit, by Ann Turner. The protagonist, Mark, is a star of a baseball team in his high school, living happily with his family in suburbia until a family drama takes place – his father is diagnosed with cancer. Mark questions God, love, future – the book becomes his memoir of emotions and philosophical questions. The book is divided into 4 parts, verses, double spaced, are printed only on one side which mak ...more
Taylor
Oct 19, 2011 Taylor rated it really liked it
I gave this book 4 stars because I really liked how Mark never gave up to be a better baseball player so he could get his no-hitter inning. I also liked how Mark and his dad had a really good connection even though the dads tumor was spreading and he was about to die. I liked that because the whole book was in a way touching because the whole family never gave up on hope and they stayed together during the whole time the dad was sick. I thought it was good because I think that a lot of people c ...more
Joeyr
Oct 11, 2011 Joeyr added it
Shelves: 2011q1
I like this book because it happens alot around the world. this book is about a high school kid named Mark. Mark loves baesball but has alot on his mind cause marks dad has cancer. Mark is the starting pitcher but cant really make it to practice as much cause he goes visits his dad at the hospital. Then marks dad passed away and mark was just so depressed. Now for every game he dedicates his games to his past away dad. This book reminds me of my best frind in louisisana his dad had cancer and h ...more
Yesi
Feb 27, 2009 Yesi rated it liked it
Ann Turner is the author of Hard Hit. She found out herself that life is a surprise, and that nobody knows what is going to happen. Mark Warren finds himself in a good life but suddenly the coin turns out to be a suprise, he believes in love,God,and the future. I know that each person has lots of suprises in life, sometimes I get into someone else's shoes to know and feel how that person is suffering. If you get into somebody else's shoes that is suffering, you will know how that person is feeli ...more
Travis Hay
Oct 05, 2015 Travis Hay rated it really liked it
it was a good boolk about a kid that wanted to pitch a no hitter like his dad wanted
713liss
Oct 29, 2015 713liss rated it really liked it
this book is so heart touching. if you have a family member with cancer
John
Nov 28, 2011 John rated it it was ok
It was okay probably just cause I like baseball and if you like sports it is a good option to go to if you need to read a book. I think this could be a real situation in real life because he's got everything he wants a girlfriend, a best friend, a family that loves him, and it helps when your the best pitcher on the team too. His dad gets a brain tumor and gets treatment and everything then on his CAT scan it says it's going away then out of no where he dies only to find out the doctors goofed ...more
Jailene Rivera
AMAZING! But, Very sad.
Marcia
Jul 20, 2013 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, middle-school, poetry
A moving, beautiful novel in poem form (poem in novel form?) about a high school boy whose dad is dying of cancer. The short book fully captures each emotion Mark experiences and the deep love he has for his dad. Turner is a local author and the book is set in Westhampton, Ma. I appreciated that the family had a religious faith ( Catholic) and the caring relationship Mark has with his younger sister. Very touching and well done.
Allisen
Dec 14, 2011 Allisen rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I give this book a 4 because, it was because it was a really good book and really sad at the same time! Here is what the book was about, it was about a little boy named Mark his dad has cancer and Mark is scared his dad is going to die. Then his dad wont be able to teach him, his son how to play baseball and all of the other things his dad was going to do for his son Mark.
Josh
Oct 20, 2011 Josh rated it it was amazing
I thought it was a great book to read. I would recommend it to anyone. It is about when this kid who is a really good pitcher. One night, he finds out that his dad is dying of cancer. That game he pitches a no hitter, that means that they never hit the ball his dad is really proud of him. I think that Shay would really like this book or anyone who likes baseball.
Jasmine
Oct 20, 2011 Jasmine rated it liked it
This book was pretty good. The pages where really short, so it doesn't take long to read it.Marky likes to play baseball and is a good pitcher.But then his dad is diagnosed with cancer. He has a very had time with it. After a while things starts to get better, but then it gets worse. This book was good, but it was really short.
Margaret
Aug 30, 2008 Margaret rated it liked it
"I think there's something
wrong with my eyes
everything looks the same...
- don't they know
everything is changed?
That I'll never be the same?"
It is so hard to put feelings into words - I love it when others can validate my feeling by expressing them in ways I never could. That is what this book does for me.
Shay Karlen
Oct 20, 2011 Shay Karlen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I thought this was a good book because it was about a kid who was really good at baseball, and he figured out that his dad had cancer. It was tough for him to hear, but he still played and was very sad. I recomend this book to people that like baseball and understand the game.

Tara
May 12, 2015 Tara rated it it was amazing
Fans of The Crossover will love this as well, though eerily similar. Very unique in its realistic inclusion of a young man's faith.
Tamsyn
Jan 29, 2009 Tamsyn rated it it was ok
I didn't care for this one too much, though there were some touching moments as the boy deals with his father's illness (pancreatic cancer), mostly because I didn't care for the poetry: it was awkward to me. I usually love verse novels, but this one didn't capture me.
Williamhernandez
Hard hit by Ann Turner was a wonderful book.Mark the protagonist was really scared that his dad was in the hospital. The reason why hes scared is because his dad was the only one that helped him with sports.Marks mother was the only one to
Sara
Feb 26, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
Whew! This one made me cry. The hardcover looks a lot longer than it actually is- I probably downed it in 20 minutes since it's double spaced poems mostly one-sided pages. It was nice to see Catholic protagonists- my students will like that.
Alexalion
Sep 16, 2008 Alexalion rated it it was ok
The book Hard Hit is about a boy who plays baseball for his father. I think this is a touching story. Id reccomend it for anyone who is into sports,or who loves qreat sports story. id have to say i like the book.
Alicia
May 01, 2010 Alicia rated it really liked it
Turner's short novel in verse uses baseball to help Mark deal with his father's cancer while still trying to be a great pitcher, handle a girlfriend, and life as a teen. Succinct and truthful.
Alisha
Oct 02, 2009 Alisha is currently reading it
I love this book@! It has a lot of mystery and I love that. The Cancer in his father is spreading frequently but he will make it through
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Mrs. Gallagher's ...: Novels in Verse Book Review 1 4 May 01, 2013 04:28PM
  • Rubber Houses
  • Splintering
  • Shakespeare Bats Cleanup (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #1)
  • Walking on Glass
  • One Good Punch
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
  • Hothouse
  • The Geography of Girlhood
Ann Warren Turner is a children's author and a poet.
Ann Turner wrote her first story when she was eight years old. It was about a dragon and a dwarf named Puckity. She still uses that story when she talks to students about writing, to show them that they too have stories worth telling.
Turner has always loved to write, but at first she was afraid she couldn't make a living doing it. So she trained
More about Ann Turner...