Start by marking “Tea Rex” as Want to Read:
Tea Rex

Tea Rex (Rex)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,556 Ratings  ·  249 Reviews
Some tea parties are for grown-ups.
Some are for girls.
But this tea party is for a very special guest.
And it is important to follow some rules . . .
like providing comfortable chairs,
and good conversation,
and yummy food.
But sometimes that is not enough for special guests,
especially when their manners are more Cretaceous than gracious . . .

Introducing Tea Rex, a guest that j
Published April 9th 2013 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Tea Rex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea Rex

Kathryn
Dinosaurs AND tea?!? Oh yes please :-) I love this book!!! It's absolutely perfect for this girl who loves tea parties AND dinosaurs! Who knew the two could blend so perfectly!? Honestly, much as I adore the book, part of me is a bit churlish because I wish *I* had thought if the idea myself ;-)

What we have here is a charming picture book that reads like an etiquette guide on how to host a proper tea. The catch is that the guest is a T-Rex!!! So things don't go quite as smoothly as if one had in
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Apr 13, 2013 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it it was amazing
I love Molly Idle's work. Her illustrations marry with the text in such a beautiful way. I also love the undertone of humor throughout the story as reflected in the illustrations.
Eyehavenofilter
Apr 18, 2013 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
What a sweet picture book about tea parties and how to be the perfect guest, especially if you are not sure of the house rules. The illustrations are stellar, and I wish I had been invited. The faces on the creatures are endearing and a lot more friendly than most people I see on a daily basis, so I'd love an invite! ( ill even bring some cookies!)
babyhippoface
Apr 18, 2013 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Read this really quickly in the book store. Absolutely perfect for teaching context clues. The text alone is merely a list of proper behaviors for visiting a friend and having tea together. The illustrations of the humongous tyrannosaurus trying to daintily hold a tea cup and sit in a chair that is far too small, shine a different light on things.
Rachel M
Feb 24, 2016 Rachel M rated it really liked it
Loved the illustrations and literally laughed out loud.
Emma
Oct 17, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
Super cute. Love Idle's artwork and the play between the text and illustrations. Very reminiscent in tone to When You Meet a Bear on Broadway.
Rachel
I really picked this up for me rather than my son, though I thought he might like the dinosaur. I enjoyed the concept of this book, but the execution would be hard for small children to enjoy. A lot of the story ideas were visual, which were hard to explain to a two-year old. It would be fun for a slightly older child who can pick up on visual clues.

The book is a guide for children who want to have a tea party and shows the correct and not-so-correct ways to handle guests and put on a successfu
Elizabeth
Apr 16, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
What did I think? I think I thought I ought to have a T-Rex to tea, but I am awfully glad to have had this guide first, so that my manners would be above reproach, and a fine time would be guaran-"tead" for all.
Kim
Oct 09, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
A richly illustrated lesson in manners will have your little one requesting a re-read over and over again. What does one do when one has a friend to tea? And if that friend is a T-Rex? Lovely, lovely story, and a tea lovers dream.
Brenda Lower
Nov 10, 2016 Brenda Lower rated it really liked it
As I read this, I had a family in mind that I totally want to recommend it to!!!
Ama
Aug 01, 2013 Ama rated it really liked it
Adorable tale.
Crystal
Jun 20, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing
This cracked me up so much. I love the illustrations and I also love tea so it is fabulous.
Rebecca Honeycutt
Warm, dynamic and detailed art combined with brilliantly deadpan text give this hilarious picture book tons of kid appeal. It's charming and adorable and you should all go read it, okay? Okay.
Maddie Jaques
Jun 10, 2015 Maddie Jaques rated it really liked it
Cute story, pretty pictures! Loved how Mr.Rex was so BIG compared to EVERYTHING else!
Karina
Mar 21, 2017 Karina rated it really liked it
So cute!
Drew Graham
Sep 28, 2016 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
When inviting friends to tea there are certain protocol that must be followed... even if your guest happens to be large, green, scaly and prehistoric.

After loving Flora and the Peacocks we were glad to look up more Molly Idle, and this book is some kind of brilliant. There's texture and charm up the wazoo in the illustrations and the text is humorous and readable and engaging for the reader and the read-to. There was real motion to this story and a great conclusion. More Molly, please!
Matthew
Feb 26, 2017 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This book is great. The text is an instructional manual for hosting tea, but the illustrations speak to a whole other experience being had by the tea party hosts, thanks in large part to their guest, a tyrannosaurus rex. Very funny. Useable in the classroom.
Madi Melendrez
Feb 01, 2016 Madi Melendrez rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
Summary - Tea Rex is an adorable book about two very proper children that invite a T-Rex over for some tea. They speak of the proper etiquette you should have when having guests over, about the right manners and the correct refreshments. These two children soon realize though that their guest is a little wild and not very well mannered. The T-Rex spills, makes a few other accidents and talks rather loudly, in a roar. At the end of the story the two children are rather happy to finally see their ...more
Cathy Keller
Jul 06, 2016 Cathy Keller rated it liked it
Baby Bookworm
Aug 27, 2016 Baby Bookworm rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews
Summer Reading Day 83: Hello, everybody! Our book today was Tea Rex by Molly Idle, a humorous story about proper tea party etiquette when one of your guests is a humongous T-Rex! Cordelia and her brother invite their friend Mr. Rex for afternoon tea, and while his massive size and sometimes-beastly manner causes a bit of fuss, they do their best to entertain their guest as polite hosts do, and have a lovely, if exhausting, tea party with their friend.

What a sweet, funny book! It juxtaposes the v
Barbara
Although I'm not as fond of this picture book as the other two featuring the same cast of characters or the three focusing on the inimitable Flora, I still found quite a lot to enjoy in this one. While many of us would assume that tea parties are only for delicate little girls, this story shows that boys and even prehistoric creatures can have fun at them. The story begins with an invitation to a tea party and concludes with a thank you letter for having been invited to a different tea party. Pr ...more
Julie
Sep 23, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
"Tea Rex," by Molly Idle is a fun and entertaining for all ages. Cordelia invites her friend, Rex, over for some tea. She explains to readers the proper way to host a tea party. During a tea party accidents can easily happen so Cordelia says that, "A good host meets these little challenges with a cheerful smile..." Cordelia also explains that dancing is a necessary event to have at all parties.

The illustrations in this book jump out at you. The cover is a clear illustration of what the story wi
Amy
Dec 02, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
Tea Rex is about a girl named Cordelia who invites her friend, Rex, over for some tea. As the story goes on, it explains the proper way to host a tea party. She says that “A good host meets these little challenges with a cheerful smile,” while explaining that some accidents can easily happen during a tea party. The children in the story are all on their proper manners, but Mr. Rex cannot help himself. Tea Rex is a guest that just about any child would love to have tea with!
I really enjoyed the p
Beth
When children play "tea party" it is very often one of the few times you observe them behaving quietly and minding their manners. Which is why Molly Idle's Tea Rex is such a fun, hilarious read. The children in the story are minding their manners and following all the proper proceedings of a dignified tea, but their guest, Mr. T-Rex, can't help himself. He's trying to very hard to be mannerly, but he just can't help what he is: a carnivorous beast.

And yet, despite being a carnivorous beast, ther
Rachel
Observing tea-time etiquette with a T-Rex as your guest creates some unusual difficulties for this pair of hosts, in what becomes a most amusing party.

Size is used very effectively, often showing the children in full, while the T-Rex expands beyond the page's confines. Composition plays a huge role in the book's visual humour, especially as this large beast participates in this dainty activity.

A rounded style, with soft warm colours perfectly portrays the sweet nature of both the tea party, and
Arminzerella
A young lady and her little brother invite a T-Rex to tea and narrate the etiquette of being a good host - making sure their guest is welcomed, comfortably seated, served a variety of goodies, and properly entertained. Things get a little out of hand because, T-Rex! But a lovely time is had by all and the T-Rex returns their invitation. A good mixture of fun for little T-Rexes and tea party princesses.
Leslie
Tea Rex reads like a conduct book, an instructional piece for how to have guests for tea. While the knowledgeable instructor (I heard the voice of Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins), the illustrations offer a hilarious backdrop to the text; “a good host meets these little challenges with a cheerful smile…” The illustrations and text work so perfectly together, the prim and proper tone ever threatening to break under the—er—challenges of having T-Rex as your guest for tea.

As Kirkus Reviews writes, “I
Liz
Tea parties aren't exactly go-to subjects for picture books, but a DINOSAUR tea party? That's one party that kids wouldn't want to miss! Molly Idle's Tea Rex is an absolutely charming & silly book that begs for repeat readings. The pair of siblings in the story are planning a very special tea party for a guest whose "manners are more Cretaceous than gracious"... The story includes all of the things you'll need for a perfect tea party, but hilarity and mischief ensue as a result of the siblin ...more
Kristen
There is a lot to like here. A lot! Here are some things I particularly liked:

-The tea party is not gendered. It's a boy and a girl and a T-Rex. Which proves the point that my boyfriend likes to make as he's usually the only man at the place when we go out for tea: "Everyone likes tea. Who doesn't like finger sandwiches? It's not just for girls." I really liked that about the book.

-It's such a realistic look at how kids actually play. I used to babysit for a boy and his favorite game to play wa
Christine
Jun 29, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny
I saw this book in a review magazine and it looked funny and it is. It is not a book that would work well in a read aloud storytime for a group, but one that would work for an older child who can appreciate the humor between what is being said and what the pictures show.

The book reads like a 1950s household management book on how to host a tea party but the illustrations show what it is like to host a tea party when one of your guests is a Tyrannosaurus Rex. It is the very large guest that gives
  • Tea Party Rules
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • No Fits, Nilson!
  • Battle Bunny
  • Tiger in My Soup
Molly Idle has been drawing ever since she could wield a pencil. But while she started scribbling before she could walk, her professional career as an artist began slightly later…

It was upon her graduation from Arizona State University, with a BFA in Drawing, that Molly accepted an offer to work for DreamWorks Feature Animation Studios. After five years, a number of film credits, and an incredibly
More about Molly Idle...