Start by marking “When the Villain Comes Home” as Want to Read:
When the Villain Comes Home

When the Villain Comes Home

Heroes can save the world, but villains can CHANGE it. We’ve assembled a great mix of science fiction, fantasy, and speculative fiction. Come with us while we explore villains of all stripes — sons and daughters, lovers and fighters, minions and masterminds, in this giant volume of thirty great stories by award winners, rising stars, and bold new voices. With masterful tal ...more
Published July 27th 2012 by Dragon Moon Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When the Villain Comes Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Villain Comes Home

Kris
Aug 08, 2012 Kris rated it it was amazing
“Heroes can save the world. But villains can change it, Rachel.”

The above quote is from J.M. Frey's story Maddening Science from the short-story anthology When The Villain Comes Home, and I think it captures the book in a nutshell. This is a collection of stories about people who are the other side of coin, the opposite of those we saw in When The Hero Comes Home. But are they?

To paraphrase another section of Villain, heroes are born of event while villains are born of intent. Any one of the pro
Michael Healy
A diverse collection of tales from the perspective from the "bad guys" from legitimate monsters, reluctant outcast and virtuous rebels called out by society. This anthology does a good job. I found a couple of the stories less impressive than others but overall it was a wonderful read.
Corrina
Apr 04, 2013 Corrina rated it really liked it
Read my full review at wadingthroughbooks.wordpress.com!

A companion volume to When the Hero Comes Home, this anthology of short stories follows the theme of the villain’s return home from their dastardly deeds out in the world. Once a villain, always a villain? And just what makes a villain a villain? Featuring stories by Jim C. Hines, Jay Lake and Mercedes Lackey.

I love villains. They’re usually so much more interesting than the heroes. All the hero has to do is stand around posing heroically w
Erin Penn
Jun 21, 2015 Erin Penn rated it really liked it
An anthology of 31 stories.

As always, an anthology is an un-even collection of skills set and stories. This one is about villains returning to an origin point they somehow thought of as "home".

The concept presented in The Sunshine Baron by Peadar O Guilin is still freaking me out; as often happens in fantasy, the land lives and dies by the Hero-King, such as Arthur. Can you imagine the suffering under the Ruler of the Land when he is a selfish, gutless, self-serving Crown instead? I need to ima
Wolfkin
Sep 22, 2015 Wolfkin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy, favorites
Another hit. When the Villain Comes Home is the perfect follow up to one of my new favorite classics When the Hero Comes Home. It has everything I loved about the first anthology in spite of the fact that there were more stories in this collection that I outright didn't like. But outside of that set there were stories.

This collection was so good I stopped reading it just so it wouldn't have to end. But now that I've finished it all I want is to reread it to pick up on the small aspects I missed
Jesse
Oct 01, 2014 Jesse rated it did not like it
Shelves: anthology
This review is only for The Bleach by Karin Lowachee. I could see where it was going and wasn't surprised nor impressed. I felt no connection to any of the characters (hard to create in 10 pages, but still possible) and the Bleach was never explained. Is it a place? A people? I guess I just wish there was more oomph to the story.
Saphirablue
Dan Pritchett
Feb 12, 2015 Dan Pritchett rated it it was amazing
Its rare for me to find a short story anthology where I not only enjoy every single story, but that also has a few stories that surprise me. This book did both. I'd recommend it to anyone. The story weavers present things from swords and sorcery, to steam punk, and its all done to good effect.

Agnella
Agnella rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Rebecca Lovatt
Rebecca Lovatt rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Rosemary
Aug 14, 2012 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2012
Gwen Gades
Gwen Gades rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Bobbie Sheetz
Bobbie Sheetz rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013
E.M. Taggart
E.M. Taggart rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Sarahharper
Sarahharper rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2012
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Leah Petersen
Oct 14, 2012 Leah Petersen rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jeffery Clark
Jeffery Clark rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
BriAnne
BriAnne rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2013
Bailey Wakefield
Bailey Wakefield rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Mord
Mord rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2016
Marko Petrovic
Marko Petrovic rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Shawn
Shawn rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
April
April rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Franz
Franz rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2015
Steve Bornstein
Jul 24, 2012 Steve Bornstein rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Fanny
Fanny rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
  • When the Hero Comes Home
  • MM9
  • Masked Mosaic: Canadian Super Stories
  • Triptych
  • Fighting Gravity (Physics of Falling, #1)
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • King's Justice (Knights of Breton Court, #2)
  • This Strange Way of Dying: Stories of Magic, Desire and the Fantastic
  • Grants Pass
  • Subversion: Science Fiction & Fantasy Tales of Challenging the Norm
  • Captain Britain And MI13,  Vol. 3: Vampire State
  • The Hood, Vol. 1: Blood from Stones
  • Northwest of Earth: The Complete Northwest Smith
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 4
  • All You Need Is Kill (Graphic Novel)
  • Who Can Save Us Now?: Brand-New Superheroes and Their Amazing (Short) Stories
  • Destiny's Fall
  • The Empress Sword
20513
Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms fantasy world, which became the setting for his home D&D game in 1975. Play still continues in this long-running campaign, and Ed also keeps busy producing Realmslore for various TSR publications.

Ed has published over two hundred articles in Dragon magazine and Polyhedron newszine, is a lifetime charter member of the Role Playing Game Associa
More about Ed Greenwood...