Start by marking “When the Villain Comes Home” as Want to Read:
When the Villain Comes Home

When the Villain Comes Home

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Heroes can save the world, but villains can CHANGE it. We’ve assembled a great mix of science fiction, fantasy, and speculative fiction. Come with us while we explore villains of all stripes — sons and daughters, lovers and fighters, minions and masterminds, in this giant volume of thirty great stories by award winners, rising stars, and bold new voices. With masterful tal ...more
Published July 27th 2012 by Dragon Moon Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When the Villain Comes Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Villain Comes Home

Roses at Dusk by M.W. RussellThe Transient by M.W. RussellBound By Blood by Patti RobertsRelics by Maer WilsonCornered Coyote by Dianne Harman
Upcoming Releases & New Releases
133rd out of 620 books — 1,009 voters
A World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsA World of Romance by Christopher  ShieldsStories and Scripts by Zack LovePeace, Love, & Romance by Jennifer TheriotThe Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1 by M.H. Abrams
Anthologies
19th out of 264 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Kris
Aug 08, 2012 Kris rated it it was amazing
“Heroes can save the world. But villains can change it, Rachel.”

The above quote is from J.M. Frey's story Maddening Science from the short-story anthology When The Villain Comes Home, and I think it captures the book in a nutshell. This is a collection of stories about people who are the other side of coin, the opposite of those we saw in When The Hero Comes Home. But are they?

To paraphrase another section of Villain, heroes are born of event while villains are born of intent. Any one of the pro
Corrina
Apr 04, 2013 Corrina rated it really liked it
Read my full review at wadingthroughbooks.wordpress.com!

A companion volume to When the Hero Comes Home, this anthology of short stories follows the theme of the villain’s return home from their dastardly deeds out in the world. Once a villain, always a villain? And just what makes a villain a villain? Featuring stories by Jim C. Hines, Jay Lake and Mercedes Lackey.

I love villains. They’re usually so much more interesting than the heroes. All the hero has to do is stand around posing heroically w
Erin Penn
Jun 21, 2015 Erin Penn rated it really liked it
An anthology of 31 stories.

As always, an anthology is an un-even collection of skills set and stories. This one is about villains returning to an origin point they somehow thought of as "home".

The concept presented in The Sunshine Baron by Peadar O Guilin is still freaking me out; as often happens in fantasy, the land lives and dies by the Hero-King, such as Arthur. Can you imagine the suffering under the Ruler of the Land when he is a selfish, gutless, self-serving Crown instead? I need to ima
Michael Healy
A diverse collection of tales from the perspective from the "bad guys" from legitimate monsters, reluctant outcast and virtuous rebels called out by society. This anthology does a good job. I found a couple of the stories less impressive than others but overall it was a wonderful read.
Wolfkin
Sep 22, 2015 Wolfkin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy, favorites
Another hit. When the Villain Comes Home is the perfect follow up to one of my new favorite classics When the Hero Comes Home. It has everything I loved about the first anthology in spite of the fact that there were more stories in this collection that I outright didn't like. But outside of that set there were stories.

This collection was so good I stopped reading it just so it wouldn't have to end. But now that I've finished it all I want is to reread it to pick up on the small aspects I missed
Dan Pritchett
Feb 12, 2015 Dan Pritchett rated it it was amazing
Its rare for me to find a short story anthology where I not only enjoy every single story, but that also has a few stories that surprise me. This book did both. I'd recommend it to anyone. The story weavers present things from swords and sorcery, to steam punk, and its all done to good effect.

Jesse
Oct 01, 2014 Jesse rated it did not like it
Shelves: anthology
This review is only for The Bleach by Karin Lowachee. I could see where it was going and wasn't surprised nor impressed. I felt no connection to any of the characters (hard to create in 10 pages, but still possible) and the Bleach was never explained. Is it a place? A people? I guess I just wish there was more oomph to the story.
Saphirablue
Sheldon
Sheldon marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Jorge Lopez
Jorge Lopez marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Anastasia Antony
Anastasia Antony marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
The Book Hermit
The Book Hermit marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
D3L1337
D3L1337 marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Mninc
Mninc marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Mina Beavers
Mina Beavers marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Daniel Griffin
Daniel Griffin marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Carrie Rubino
Carrie Rubino marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Megan Murdock
Megan Murdock marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Judith Stanton
Judith Stanton marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Strina K
Strina K marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
kashiichan
kashiichan marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Mord
Mord rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2016
Tiina
Tiina marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
  • When the Hero Comes Home
  • MM9
  • Masked Mosaic: Canadian Super Stories
  • Fighting Gravity (Physics of Falling, #1)
  • Triptych
  • This Strange Way of Dying: Stories of Magic, Desire and the Fantastic
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • King's Justice (Knights of Breton Court #2)
  • Grants Pass
  • Subversion: Science Fiction & Fantasy Tales of Challenging the Norm
  • Captain Britain And MI13,  Vol. 3: Vampire State
  • Who Can Save Us Now?: Brand-New Superheroes and Their Amazing (Short) Stories
  • The Hood, Vol. 1: Blood from Stones
  • All You Need Is Kill (Graphic Novel)
  • Northwest of Earth: The Complete Northwest Smith
  • Hart and Boot and Other Stories
  • Under My Skin (Wildlings, #1)
  • Destiny's Fall
20513
Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms fantasy world, which became the setting for his home D&D game in 1975. Play still continues in this long-running campaign, and Ed also keeps busy producing Realmslore for various TSR publications.

Ed has published over two hundred articles in Dragon magazine and Polyhedron newszine, is a lifetime charter member of the Role Playing Game Associa
More about Ed Greenwood...