Start by marking “Fancy Gap” as Want to Read:
Fancy Gap

Fancy Gap

For travelers along the Blue Ridge Parkway at Fancy Gap, the fog often hangs like an azure dreamscape over the rolling green hills. But when a madman abducts two children and disappears into the wisps with the young brother and sister, the landscape becomes a nightmare for the children’s parents and local residents. The county sheriff remains under intense pressure to trac ...more
Published July 2nd 2012 by CreateSpace (first published June 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Gap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Gap

Christine
May 23, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
This book is a hoot! It is tons of fun, in addition to being a sometimes-gritty and gruesome crime/mystery novel. It is set in the tiny mountain community of Fancy Gap, Virginia, where (full disclosure) this reviewer has spent quite a bit of time in a cabin over the past 10 years. It was a real treat to read this book while spending a few days there. Some southwestern Virginians had a few bones to pick with that, but I found it an intriguing setting.

Horny sixty-something, athletic, hot, career-d
Sharon Michael
Oct 02, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it it was ok
Not a bad mystery/thriller/police procedural but a number of things that kept surfacing as I read that were mildly annoying. The basic plot worked fairly well for me, though predictable. The two main reasons I picked this book, location and older main characters, weren't as strong as I'd hoped, unfortunately.

I've lived in the general region for a number of years now plus I generally like the shift to older main characters. However, in this case, I was a bit disappointed by both. I just didn't fe
Tanya
Aug 29, 2012 Tanya rated it it was amazing

This book is a real page turning adventure! The characters and situations are descriptive and well thought out by this terrific author. Experience Fancy Gap, VA in this fictional murder mystery through the captivating words of C. David Gelly!
Angel
Sep 08, 2012 Angel rated it it was amazing
great book, hated putting it down!! You can't always trust those who you should be able to.
Donna Moore
Oct 22, 2016 Donna Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow Don't Miss Reading This Book

This is one of the best mysteries I have read in a long time. It is so well written, once you start you'll want to finish the book in a couple of readings.
Nancy Silk
Jul 09, 2013 Nancy Silk rated it liked it
Part Thriller, Part Romance, July 9, 2013
By Nancy Silk, Author (Northern Utah) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fancy Gap (Kindle Edition)
Starting this first novel by Author C. David Gelly, I was excited for the ghosty way it begins: a dense, creepy fog, a terrible pile-up on the highway, and an old motel that will remind you of the Bates' Motel. I believed I was going to enjoy a real thriller with a psycho pediphile reaching through the fog and kidnapping two young children. But halfway
Rodney
Oct 23, 2012 Rodney rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. I am familiar with the Fancy Gap, Hillsville area as I've visited the gun show and flea market many times and it is a beautiful area. However this book has almost nothing to do with southern Virginia. The setting is completely unrelated to the story and this trashy attempt at a mystery novel could have been set anywhere. There are many stories that could have been written about Fancy Gap and Hillsville incorporating the local legends and characters that would m ...more
Frank Tatum
Apr 12, 2015 Frank Tatum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do more research before you publish

I chose to read this book because I grew up in Fancy Gap. Yes, the Fog is so bad that people who live there all their lives get lost going home. If you decide to visit the area after reading this book, get a map and plan your trip with a good GPS. Driving state 29 through NC from the D.C. area is 9 hours or more, from Detroit to FL, one should only be on 81 maybe 10 miles or so. The people who live there are very racist and the KKK is headquartered in Can a. Mo
Ann Harris
Oct 06, 2013 Ann Harris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had great hopes that this book would be an exciting thriller. Being familiar with the Blue Ridge Parkway and Fancy Gap, the title of the book alone was enough to pull me in. The first chapter was pretty good, but once Quinn and Louisa were established as main characters, I struggled to get to the end. At times, I thought about not even finishing this book, but I kept reading in hopes that it would get better. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I expected an fast-paced thriller. Instead I g ...more
Christine Bradbery
Mar 12, 2013 Christine Bradbery rated it liked it
I was interested in reading Fancy Gap, as I was drawn to the setting of this area of Virginia. However, a lot of the book read more like a romance novel than a mystery thriller. It was also a bit disconcerting to go from one "romance" chapter right into a horrific child murder in the next, and back to romance. The book was written well, and good character development, but I pretty much guessed who the bad guy was.
Gloria Johnson
Oct 01, 2012 Gloria Johnson rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, but was annoyed by the author's habit of beginning way too may quotes with the person's name who is being spoken to. It is not the way people talk and detracts from the fluidity and realism of the dialog. I hope the author improves this in future books, as I would like to read more by Gelly. The story was good, even though it was obvious early on who the bad guy was.
J LeAnn Shultz
May 11, 2014 J LeAnn Shultz rated it it was amazing
C.David Gelly knows how to weave a tale that is spellbinding and keeps you turning the page. "Fancy Gap" does not disappoint those who love a great mystery. I enjoyed reading a work of fiction about an area I drive through each year for vacation. Beautiful area and Gelly does the scenery justice as he paints a picture with his words. I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Megan Sinagoga
Jan 25, 2013 Megan Sinagoga rated it liked it
I'm on the fence about the number of stars to give .... The two lead characters were annoying to me as a couple, and too much was written about every little thing they did/felt. I also knew who the villain was almost a third into the story, so I wish it wasn't so obvious. However, the plot was good and the other characters (police, parents, etc) were well written.
Z Hamm
Oct 09, 2014 Z Hamm rated it it was amazing
I read this book many months ago, but still think about it from time to time, and how my old friend made good on his quest to write an excellent "whodunnit". I loved the plot line and the characters, and some of the real life people woven into the book.

Looking forward to reading your next one, Bubba.
Natalia
Dec 14, 2012 Natalia rated it did not like it
With all my respect to the author and the exciting beginning I was disappointed that it was clear too early (less than a third of the book) who the killer was. Nevertheless I read it till the end expecting a fascinating dénouement, but unfortunately It was a little blurred.
Newbee (JoAnn) Brown
Sep 09, 2012 Newbee (JoAnn) Brown rated it it was amazing
Loved this book looking forward to the others in the series! This was a cross between a romance and a demented child snatcher... With a lot if humor and entertaining spots.

Very well and tastefully written... I thoughly enjoyed the book!
Diane Major
May 08, 2013 Diane Major rated it it was amazing
Falling in love, abduction, murder, what else do you want! I found this book entertaining. It kept me engaged and was easy to read. Note: it is certainly an adult read. The main characters are mature - Quinn and Louisa often brought a smile to my face. I definitely think it is worth a read.
Huluriasquias
Aug 31, 2013 Huluriasquias rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Great fun to read if a little formulaic. Great characters and I'm waiting for the next one in the series.
Jeff
Oct 16, 2014 Jeff rated it it was ok
Eh. The story has merit and it has its moments. But too much of the book is awkwardly written and a lot of the dialog does not sound or feel like what real people would say.
Helen Ellis
Oct 28, 2013 Helen Ellis rated it liked it
I'm ambivalent about this book. I figured out the mystery almost immediately, and was disappointed in the ending, but the idea was good, and the story kept me reading till the end.
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Lorilee
Lorilee rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2013
Meda Martin
Meda Martin rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Michele Brunk
Michele Brunk rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Ginger L. Morris
Ginger L. Morris rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Lin
Lin rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2015
Tammy Sorrell
Tammy Sorrell rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Abdollah Ruoas
Abdollah Ruoas rated it did not like it
Nov 10, 2013
Alne Schoeffler
Alne Schoeffler rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • Never Back Down
  • Fraidy Hole
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)
  • The Puppeteer
  • No Such Thing
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • Read No Evil
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • The Note
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Murder at the War: A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting (Peter Brichter, #2)
  • Dutch Me Deadly (Passport to Peril, #7)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Dire Means
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (Myrtle Clover Cozy Mysteries #2)
C. David Gelly, has authored numerous essays and short stories on global travel, athletic accomplishments and life experiences. A raconteur and xenophile of note, he is an avid marathoner and cyclist who explores unusual places in his travels on domestic as well as international assignments. He has plied his trade in government agencies as well as in the corporate ranks of many significant entitie ...more
More about C. David Gelly...