Fancy Gap

Fancy Gap

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  16 reviews
For travelers along the Blue Ridge Parkway at Fancy Gap, the fog often hangs like an azure dreamscape over the rolling green hills. But when a madman abducts two children and disappears into the wisps with the young brother and sister, the landscape becomes a nightmare for the children’s parents and local residents. The county sheriff remains under intense pressure to trac...more
Published July 2nd 2012 by CreateSpace (first published June 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Gap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Gap

Christine
This book is a hoot! It is tons of fun, in addition to being a sometimes-gritty and gruesome crime/mystery novel. It is set in the tiny mountain community of Fancy Gap, Virginia, where (full disclosure) this reviewer has spent quite a bit of time in a cabin over the past 10 years. It was a real treat to read this book while spending a few days there. Some southwestern Virginians had a few bones to pick with that, but I found it an intriguing setting.

Horny sixty-something, athletic, hot, career-d...more
Sharon Michael
Not a bad mystery/thriller/police procedural but a number of things that kept surfacing as I read that were mildly annoying. The basic plot worked fairly well for me, though predictable. The two main reasons I picked this book, location and older main characters, weren't as strong as I'd hoped, unfortunately.

I've lived in the general region for a number of years now plus I generally like the shift to older main characters. However, in this case, I was a bit disappointed by both. I just didn't fe...more
Tanya

This book is a real page turning adventure! The characters and situations are descriptive and well thought out by this terrific author. Experience Fancy Gap, VA in this fictional murder mystery through the captivating words of C. David Gelly!
Angel
great book, hated putting it down!! You can't always trust those who you should be able to.
Nancy Silk
Part Thriller, Part Romance, July 9, 2013
By Nancy Silk, Author (Northern Utah) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fancy Gap (Kindle Edition)
Starting this first novel by Author C. David Gelly, I was excited for the ghosty way it begins: a dense, creepy fog, a terrible pile-up on the highway, and an old motel that will remind you of the Bates' Motel. I believed I was going to enjoy a real thriller with a psycho pediphile reaching through the fog and kidnapping two young children. But halfway...more
Rodney
I really wanted to like this book. I am familiar with the Fancy Gap, Hillsville area as I've visited the gun show and flea market many times and it is a beautiful area. However this book has almost nothing to do with southern Virginia. The setting is completely unrelated to the story and this trashy attempt at a mystery novel could have been set anywhere. There are many stories that could have been written about Fancy Gap and Hillsville incorporating the local legends and characters that would m...more
Ann Harris
I had great hopes that this book would be an exciting thriller. Being familiar with the Blue Ridge Parkway and Fancy Gap, the title of the book alone was enough to pull me in. The first chapter was pretty good, but once Quinn and Louisa were established as main characters, I struggled to get to the end. At times, I thought about not even finishing this book, but I kept reading in hopes that it would get better. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I expected an fast-paced thriller. Instead I g...more
Christine Bradbery
I was interested in reading Fancy Gap, as I was drawn to the setting of this area of Virginia. However, a lot of the book read more like a romance novel than a mystery thriller. It was also a bit disconcerting to go from one "romance" chapter right into a horrific child murder in the next, and back to romance. The book was written well, and good character development, but I pretty much guessed who the bad guy was.
Gloria Johnson
I enjoyed the book, but was annoyed by the author's habit of beginning way too may quotes with the person's name who is being spoken to. It is not the way people talk and detracts from the fluidity and realism of the dialog. I hope the author improves this in future books, as I would like to read more by Gelly. The story was good, even though it was obvious early on who the bad guy was.
J LeAnn Shultz
C.David Gelly knows how to weave a tale that is spellbinding and keeps you turning the page. "Fancy Gap" does not disappoint those who love a great mystery. I enjoyed reading a work of fiction about an area I drive through each year for vacation. Beautiful area and Gelly does the scenery justice as he paints a picture with his words. I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Megan Sinagoga
I'm on the fence about the number of stars to give .... The two lead characters were annoying to me as a couple, and too much was written about every little thing they did/felt. I also knew who the villain was almost a third into the story, so I wish it wasn't so obvious. However, the plot was good and the other characters (police, parents, etc) were well written.
Diane Major
Falling in love, abduction, murder, what else do you want! I found this book entertaining. It kept me engaged and was easy to read. Note: it is certainly an adult read. The main characters are mature - Quinn and Louisa often brought a smile to my face. I definitely think it is worth a read.
Natalia
With all my respect to the author and the exciting beginning I was disappointed that it was clear too early (less than a third of the book) who the killer was. Nevertheless I read it till the end expecting a fascinating dénouement, but unfortunately It was a little blurred.
Newbee (JoAnn) Brown
Loved this book looking forward to the others in the series! This was a cross between a romance and a demented child snatcher... With a lot if humor and entertaining spots.

Very well and tastefully written... I thoughly enjoyed the book!
Helen Ellis
I'm ambivalent about this book. I figured out the mystery almost immediately, and was disappointed in the ending, but the idea was good, and the story kept me reading till the end.
Huluriasquias
I loved this book. Great fun to read if a little formulaic. Great characters and I'm waiting for the next one in the series.
Monica
Monica added it
Aug 24, 2014
Swamp Ophelia
Swamp Ophelia marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Lavada
Lavada marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Tari Hanneman
Tari Hanneman marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Heidi Lueck
Heidi Lueck marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Mike Bratek
Mike Bratek marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
C. David Gelly, has authored numerous essays and short stories on global travel, athletic accomplishments and life experiences. A raconteur and xenophile of note, he is an avid marathoner and cyclist who explores unusual places in his travels on domestic as well as international assignments. He has plied his trade in government agencies as well as in the corporate ranks of many significant entitie...more
More about C. David Gelly...