Start by marking “Hermione Granger Saves the World” as Want to Read:
Hermione Granger Saves the World

Hermione Granger Saves the World

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The new essays in this book make two central claims. First, for some people, the word feminist has been either poorly defined or, in some cases, even demonized. Hermione Granger, of the Harry Potter series, serves as an outstanding example of what modern young feminism looks like: activist, powerful and full of agency, yet feminine, romantic and stylish--a new kind of femi ...more
Published 2012 by McFarland Books

To ask other readers questions about Hermione Granger Saves the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hermione Granger Saves the World

Jo
Oct 06, 2015 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, helpful resource for my paper.
Lewis Book Reviews
Apr 05, 2013 Lewis Book Reviews rated it really liked it
If you’re a fan of Harry Potter, and especially Hermione of course, you will probably enjoy this book. It is not so academic to off-putting and each the style makes it very accessible and enjoyable.

Feminism is an amorphous and difficult to describe concept, something Bell is quick to point out. His primary argument is that “postfeminism” (the newest variety) is perfectly exemplified by Hermione Granger, from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. Hermione represents a new kind of feminism (the acce
Gmc
Sep 20, 2013 Gmc rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, reveiwed
Hermione Granger Saves the World: Essays on the Feminist Heroine of Hogwarts by Christopher E. Bell.
The book is divided into 5 section with at least 2 essays in each section.
Introduction by Christopher E. Bell with Julie Alexander
Hermione: An Introduction
pg 16. The Filmic Heroine by Julie Alexander
pg 34. "I'm Hoping to Do some Good in the World" Hermione Granger and Feminist Ethics by Atje Gercama
pg 52. The Muggle Hunt by Elizaeth De La Torre
Hermione as Woman
pg. 66 Unstoppable Force: Mate
Kayla
Nov 05, 2015 Kayla rated it really liked it
Very interesting essays on the idea of Hermione as a feminist icon. I particularly enjoyed the essays that dealt with speech and the power of magical words, and the last essay that talked about how Hermione, not Harry, was the real "Chosen One".

I hope the copy I got was an advanced reader's copy because I noticed a lot of grammatical and factual errors in some of the essays, but overall I was impressed by the variety of topics introduced, and the ideas each author brought to the collection.

Makes
Emily Cait
Jan 20, 2016 Emily Cait rated it really liked it
Some really great essays in here. Everyone seems to speak back to Eliza Dresang's "Hermione Granger and the Heritage of Gender" -- they take into consideration the whole series (which Dresang couldn't do because she wrote her article before the series was complete) and do a lot of very convincing feminist rereadings of Hermione.

Although, the text is riddled with spelling and grammar errors. Someone seriously needs to do a quick clean up of this text.
Constance Marie
Jun 08, 2015 Constance Marie rated it really liked it
I hadn't heard of this book until I went to the library and asked to know all of the books they had in their feminist section. As soon as the librarian read this title I knew I had to read this book! Hermione is my absolute favorite character and Harry Potter is one of my favorite series so I obviously had to get my hands on this. I'm rating this 4 stars because after a while I started to get very tired of reading some of the essays. They were all very great, but some were just repeating what th ...more
Lynette
Apr 28, 2015 Lynette rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Wow. Well, some of the essays were really good. In fact, the last essay, "Is Hermione Granger the Real Chosen One?" by Todd S. Waters was the best by far. It was the closest to a scholarly paper, too.

A lot of the essays have major issues with punctuation. Several people misquote the books, which is infuriating. I had to skip one essay altogether because it was so problematic. (For more details, read my progress entries.)

But, overall, it was really thought-provoking. If you have a background in
Abbey
Feb 08, 2016 Abbey rated it really liked it
A fantastic companion to the Harry Potter series, especially for English majors like me. Great critical analyses of Hermione Granger, making you appreciate the series in a whole new way.
Molly Octopus
Feb 21, 2013 Molly Octopus rated it liked it
Pretty amusing, though it gets incredibly repetitive after the first third of the book.
Courtney
Courtney is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2016
Anna Bjurström
Anna Bjurström marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Hermioneparty563
Hermioneparty563 marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Rachel Newlin
Rachel Newlin is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Emily Dahl
Emily Dahl marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Wen Xuan
Wen Xuan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Amanda Gray
Amanda Gray marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Lydia Halls
Lydia Halls marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Christy
Christy is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Julie Clawson
Julie Clawson rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Karina Petersen
Karina Petersen marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Michala Escherich
Michala Escherich is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2016
Emery
Emery marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Israel
Israel is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2016
Jessamyn Smallenburg
Jessamyn Smallenburg is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2016