The League for the Suppression of Celery

The League for the Suppression of Celery

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Kate Pearson heads west from Arkansas in an old jalopy with two parakeets, a job offer and a half-baked plan: Dreamboat celebrity chef Warren Hoffman has offered Kate a job – and himself – if she will relocate to Oxnard, California. The catch? Kate soon discovers Warren has a Big Secret. And that he’s possibly crazy.

During her journey, Kate stumbles into the lair of parano...more
Published July 21st 2012 by Lascaux Books (first published July 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The League for the Suppression of Celery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The League for the Suppression of Celery

Islands of the Heart by David  StringerClotho's Loom by Shawn StJeanThe Wayward Gifted by Donna K. ChildreeCould You Be With Her Now by Jen MichalskiThe League for the Suppression of Celery by Wendy Russ
Indie Literary Fiction - August New Releases
5th out of 31 books — 63 voters
This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store by A.K. TurnerI Am America by Stephen ColbertWhen Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? by George CarlinAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea HandlerHow I Stole Johnny Depp's Alien Girlfriend by Gary Ghislain
Hilarious Titles
16th out of 119 books — 99 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Hina
Wendy Russ is a gifted author with a sparkling writing voice and an innate, Southern talent for spinning a story. THE LEAGUE FOR THE SUPPRESSION OF CELERY is a surprising and deeply satisfying debut from a natural-born writer.

Russ's protagonist, Kate Pearson, is a delightful mix of quirky, smart, and insecure, and the novel, for all its many comical and heartfelt turns, is really about Kate embracing her true strength of character on a journey from Arkansas to California, where she may or may no...more
Stephen Parrish
The League for the Suppression of Celery is a wonderful debut by a fresh new voice in women's fiction. Russ writes like a seasoned novelist. Her protagonist Kate Pearson is vividly drawn and easy to identify with.

Kate hates celery. Unfortunately, the world is filled with the stuff. And yet there are those, kindred spirits and freaks alike, who have dedicated themselves to the destruction of the evil vegetable.

League is a truly unique novel, populated with some of the most interesting characters...more
Marcy Peska
The main character struck me as being young and naïve in a way that was amusing, though worrisome. She learns a lot about the world (it's a wacky, dangerous and wondrous place)and herself by the conclusion of the novel.
The humor is whimsical and fey and the adventures the MC experiences were sometimes so bizarre that I wondered if they were based on a real League for the Suppression of Celery!
You haven't read anything else like this book so, if you like a fresh voice and unique approach (I do),...more
Camille
This was a delightful novel -- a zany tale of a girl coming of age, waking up to the big bad reality of life. If you are a reader who can't abide whimsy, this might not be the book for you, but I've known several iterations of Kate in my lifetime and she is fascinating in her imperfections. Well written, fun read.
Rosa M.
Very humorous cross-country romp with a young woman about to set out on her first "real" job. Filled with a gang of characters from sexy, goofy, sweet, wise, to downright villainous. Great fun entertainment and romance. I will look for this author again!
Wendy
A fun read! A wonderful road trip with Kate - a loveable character with whom I can easily identify.
Paul
How can you not like, how can you not buy a novel with the title "The League for the Suppression of Celery?" I bought it and I’m glad I did. I is a fun, delightful read. I would have said it is quite the page turner, but I read on Kindle so it is quite the “next-page” button pusher.

"The League for the Suppression of Celery" is a love story. Will Kate Pearson, a photography major from Arkansas, fall for the seductive charms of her new boss, a boss who harbors a strange secret? Will she choose the...more
Jane Stewart
Seeing a variety of odd things during a road trip. Some readers may find this humorous.

STORY BRIEF:
Warren is a famous chef/food expert who writes books and is a frequent talk show guest. Kate is two months from graduating college, majoring in photography. Warren is a guest on a radio talk show. Kate is urged by her friend to phone the show as a call-in guest. That is how they meet. Warren hires Kate to work for him as a photographer/assistant. As soon as she graduates, Kate drives from Arkansas...more
drey
Kate Pearson’s on top of the world. Not only is she this close to graduation, she already has a job offer — from dreamboat celebrity chef Warren Hoffman! He’s funny and charming, and it doesn’t take too long before Kate’s halfway in love with him.

Then she finds out he’s married. And his wife’s something of a kook. What’s a girl to do now?

She packs her stuff and heads to California for her job, that’s what. Along the way, she tries to sort out her feelings for Warren, but gets distracted by the s...more
Alicia
It's an odd but fun read. I found myself smiling as I read toward the end.
Cute love story!
Heather
3.5 stars? I really enjoyed the writing, the way the author describes feelings and people's souls. I was rooting for the main character, even though she did a lot of stupid (and slutty) things, and it was difficult for me to identify with her, since every man she met pretty much fell at her feet. I agree with the author's mother who tried to keep her from writing the naughty bits. I almost stopped reading after the first few chapters. The best part was the last "book".
Sara Diane
This book was hilarious. Not fall out of my chair, but more chuckle every few pages. The main character is a bit out of it sometimes, and I had a few moments of wanting to smack her, but she was real enough that I found myself routing for her.

A fun read, this one does have some mature audience material, so only my teen friends who are no longer teens :P
Travis
I loved this book. Funny, witty, and intelligent writing. I will confess to at times wanting to choke the protagonist Kate but the fact the book made me care enough about her to get frustrated by her poor choices only serves to illustrate how well rendered both the story and characters are. A good fun read well worth your time and money.
Johanna
I thought the title was funny so I got this book for free for my kindle. She almost lost me during the part where the "league" comes into the story because it was pretty dumb. Really dumb. Other than that, this was pretty standard chick-lit stuff. It was entertaining and easy to read for when I needed something pretty mindless.
Paulina
Disappointing. I enjoyed the discussion of the dangers of celery. Very amusing. But the characters felt flat and completely uninteresting and the plot didn't engage me. I had hoped for a fun light read and it kind of satisfied that. But it helps to have low expectations when you read this book.
Ricki
Wendy's first novel! (Made even better because I know the author!) A delightful and fun read following a young, naïve heroine through her death-defying antics as she seeks fame, fortune, and her career path. What she doesn't plan on is being a victim of the League for the Suppression of Celery!
Jessmc
A fun, quirky read. I finished it in a few hours. Kate's travels across America for her overbearing and odd boss were at times fun, exciting, and scary. Often times, they were just downright silly. I'm a sucker for a happy ending though, so I rather embraced and enjoyed the silliness.
Bobbye Hudspeth
Amusing light read. Quite honestly I didn't know how to rate this. It was well written, well edited and yet I kept getting a little lost. Maybe it's because I actually do like celery.
Cristen
A silly and strange story about a girl on an adventurous road trip to find herself. The most interesting thing about this book is all the real-life celery trivia in contains. Seriously.
Sara Loren
Weird. Worth a read. Begins as a typical Danielle Steele type read. Ends with a strong self empowered woman...& has a nice finish.
Julie Austin
Ok read for the beach, but overall a little too silly.
Jen Payne
Strangely entertaining!
Leann
Quirky and enjoyable.
Alanna Fowler
Alanna Fowler marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Stacey Klein
Stacey Klein marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
  • Alice in Wonderland (A Novel)
  • Plum Blossoms in Paris
  • Happy(ish)
  • Blue Straggler
  • Love and Other Subjects
  • The Comeback Kiss
  • Village Books
  • Star Fish
  • The Quest for Juice (Paranoia #1)
  • Mid Ocean
  • The Tea-Olive Bird Watching Society
  • Something Pretty, Something Beautiful
  • Ancient Blood: A Novel of the Hegemony (The Order Saga, #1)
  • Taking Flight
  • Totlandia: Book 1
  • Once More With Feeling
  • An Order of Coffee and Tears
  • I Kill Me: Tales of A Jilted Hypochondriac
Southern author and teller-of-tall-tales currently living nestled in the foothills of the Arkansas Ozarks. Her short stories and poems have been published by Tales of the South, Emerge Literary Journal and elsewhere. Her debut novel is The League for the Suppression of Celery.
More about Wendy Russ...