Start by marking “Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury, #3)

Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury #3)

From the acclaimed author of Green-Eyed Envy comes a tumultuous tale of unrest among the Furies...

As Boston’s Chief Magical Investigator, Riss Holloway has been responsible for solving any crimes committed by or against supernaturals. But now she’s taking a leave of absence from the Boston PD and heading home—to focus on her duties as a Fury: like assisting her mother with
Published June 26th 2012 by Ace (first published June 1st 2012)

Kt
Jul 09, 2012 Kt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

Leaving the Magical Crimes Unit in the capable hands of her partner, Trinity, Riss is taking a much needed leave of absence to help her mother sort out the troubles in the Sisterhood of Furies. The Furies are charged with keeping the peace between all the Arcane and Mundane races, and have always remained impartial. However, something has changed and some of the Furies are favoring a certain god over the other, bringing about the start of a
Mirjam
Jul 16, 2012 Mirjam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Addictive and exhilerating are just a few of the words that apply to the Shades of Fury novels. In Blackhearted Betrayal there is lots of action and there are always unexpected twists in the story. Main character Riss is the ultimate sassy, kick-ass heroine with a profound sense of duty and honour. She is willing to make personal sacrifices to do the right thing. Although she is young for a Fury, she has already shown her worth to both her people and, apparently, the Gods. Riss, her mother Alleg ...more
Marsha
Jul 15, 2012 Marsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Of the three books in the series, "Blackhearted Betrayal" is the best of the Shades of Fury but it also has the most convoluted plot. This book begins right where the previous book ended. The gang is partying after successfully thwarting a serial killer and pulling off the wedding of Penn and Harper. Now that the case is over, Marissa can concentrate on assisting her mother at the Palladium and her niece with ner new Fury transition.

While attempting to usher her niece, Cori to the Palladium, Ser
Ami
Aug 26, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
Fresh from the 'adventure' of saving Harper's wedding in previous book, Riss (and her mother) is called by the The Triad -- referred to three Deities -- to find proof that Death Lord Anubis has been planning a scheme of deadly proportion. With her temporary status as immortal Nemesis for the Triad, Riss goes to the Underworld along with her loyal friends (her lover Scott, her half-brother Mac, and several others) ...

---------

At first, I'm a bit worried whether the story will be more (Fury) polit
Michelle
Jul 10, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blackhearted Betrayal is the third book in the Shades of Fury series by Kasey Mackenzie and an ACE Fantasy.

Blurb:

As a Fury, Riss Holloway belongs to an arcane race that has meted out justice since time immemorial. As Boston's Chief Magical Investigator, she's responsible for solving any crimes committed by or against supernaturals. But now that she's going home, Riss has no idea just how dangerous--and personal--the crimes have become.

Riss Holloway has taken a leave of absence from her mortal j
Jessica (a GREAT read)
It's been ages since I last read Kasey MacKenzie's Green-Eyed Envy, so diving into Blackhearted Betrayal had it's ups and downs. I tried to think of it as reading a new novel, but that doesn't always work when events and situations are mentioned from previous books. But I just did my best to read the current story and enjoy. And I did, for the most part. I think my lack of knowledge on what's previously happened prevented me from fully enjoying this one.

Just as Riss and her mother are about to
Aurian Booklover
After solving her serial killer case in the previous book, Marissa is finally free to join her mother in the Fury’s realm, and have her young niece acknowledged in the Sisterhood of Furies.
Instead, both she and her mother are being summoned by the Triad, the three Gods who rule the other Gods, to act as their Nemesis against a fellow God who is breaking the law. He is gathering other minor gods, and making them his vasals, and he is binding Fury’s to him, while they should be serving all Deitie
Paige Ellen Stone
Well, for me, this is now a series to be read. This is the 3rd volume in Kasey MacKenzie's "Shades of Fury" series. There was deepening interest after I read volume 2, "Green-Eyed Envy," and this book fulfills the promise and justifies the interest I had in V2.
I find that what KM has accomplished here is well above and beyond the standard for this genre. This is a plot full of twists and turns and is so well written that even this slightly jaded fan of this genre was truly surprised at the reve
Stacy
Jun 22, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love all the covers of this series. Riss's leave of absence doesn't end up going so well. There is actually a line in the book that explains it best, She is now taking a leave of absence from her leave of absence. I was looking forward to seeing Riss with her niece now that she is a fury so I was kinda sad that that was put off until later.

Riss and Scott are still very much together and happy, they don't really have any alone time with each other but they are still a great team and stil
Tamara
Mar 04, 2014 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't bad but it didn't hold up to the book that came before it. The characters were all there, and the plot was mystery/action again, but something just seemed off. The story was interesting, or it could have been but I just never quite connected to it. The main character was surrounded by all the people that had been in the other books but she never really connected to them in any real way. It felt a lot like being surrounded by a crowd but not talking to any of them. The thing that ...more
Adventure
Dec 23, 2014 Adventure rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I read all three, one after another, while traveling home. As it remains: I love the first book, like the second, and don't know how I feel about the third. I understand where Kasey Mackenzie is going, but I don't know if I like (view spoiler) The plot is starting to become a little stale, especially since it seems like nothing is actually getting accomplished; however, the writing is still really great and I devo ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
This book started a bit slow (and it had been years since I read the previous one), but soon picked up and took Riss on a wild ride as she is made a Nemesis and tasked with finding proof that a lesser god is breaking the rules. Luckily she can take some allies with her on her quest to the Underworld as she will need them to get through.

(view spoiler)
Lisa
Dec 23, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series keeps getting better & better. This is the best of three books but also has the most convoluted plot. It keeps true to the characters thus far & still throws in a few surprises along the way. If you are on the fence regarding this series and trying to decide if you should keep going, by all means do. You would be missing out on another really good read if you skip this one. Can't wait for the next one to see what Riss and the gang do next....
Jul 05, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this third installment of the series. Such a strong kick-ass heroine. Sure you have to leave reality at the door when reading this genre, but that is what any form of entertainment requires.

It was so easy to get lost in all the characters in the book and would love it if there were more to come. It seems like there could be.
Erika
Nov 03, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. The demi-goddess thing seems a bit mary-sue-ish, but then Riss wasn't totally perfect, so it was fine. The end was fine, and I like how Scott and Trin bargained with the gods.

I just find myself hoping my guess about Stacia is wrong, but if it's right, I hope they can fix it.
Misericordia ❣
Who could have rated an unpublished as of yet book, and 1 star at that? Makes me wonder... I expect it to be of 5 star quality, if the trend continues... I'll update my rating as soon as I get to read it.
Megan
Jun 04, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this the 3rd installment of the Shades of Fury series. Kasey, the author describes colors and images really nicely, so it's easy to transport yourself in the story. Hopefully there will be another book to the series out soon.
Ashley
I liked this book. It was a fun ride, but it didn't live up to the magic of the first book which is a tad disappointing. Still a series that I really enjoy and if you like urban fantasy, then give this series a shot.
Shelia
Sep 08, 2016 Shelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best of the series so far, if a little circuitous.
We finally get to see more about what's going on in Fury Society.
Not everyone is who we thought they were.
Hard choices must be made, deities behave badly, and, as always, plans are thwarted.
A fun read.
B.E.
Aug 27, 2012 B.E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had some problems with the beginning and middle of this installment of Ms. MacKenzie's 'Shades of Fury' series, but the end was awesome.
Sophie
third book in the series. ok plot but not great. (2.5/5)
Plus the beta readers/editor should have mentioned to the author that an overuse of italics undermines its utility!
S
Dec 10, 2013 S rated it it was amazing
Rollicking good read. I don't understand how I missed the second book, but I'm glad I read this one. Having Ewa da Cruz in the cover doesn't hurt either.
Jayme
Nice conclustion to the trilogy. Love the character of Marissa. Author did leave it open for another book, and I'm totally okay with that!
Ron
Sep 30, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it very much.
Sheyla Cruz
Sheyla Cruz rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Chelsie Keithley
Chelsie Keithley rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2012
Jael
Jael rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2012
N'gomo Ekokobe
N'gomo Ekokobe rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Erin Hepworth
Erin Hepworth rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013
Narzain
Narzain rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
A Million More Pages: 3 - Blackhearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury): Jun 25 11 20 Jun 26, 2015 12:33PM
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • Sparks (Anya Kalinczyk, #2)
  • The Guardian (The Guardian Interviews, #1)
  • Dead Letter Day (Messenger #3)
  • Hail the Hero (The Hunter Legacy, #5)
  • Deliverance (Mortal Path, #3)
  • Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Vampires Not Invited (Night Tracker, #3)
  • The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)
  • The Riss Challenge (The Riss Series, #5)
  • The Awakening (Project Eve, 1)
  • Terra Stands Alone (The Theogony, #3)
  • Wayfinder (Worldwalker Duology, #2)
  • Vengeance Moon (Earth Witches, #2)
  • The Machinery of Light (Autumn Rain #3)
  • Blood of Innocence (Sloane Skye, #2)
  • Nightingale (Bigtime, #4)
Kasey Mackenzie lives with her husband and son in St. Louis, Missouri; home of the Gateway Arch, the baseball Cardinals, and the world’s greatest thin-crust pizza. Kasey was one of those students who always had her nose in a book—so no big surprise when she was voted “Teacher’s Pet” in her high school yearbook. Today, she is a voracious reader of fantasy, romance, suspense, and “soft” science fict ...more
More about Kasey MacKenzie...

Shades of Fury (4 books)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • Green Eyed Envy (Shades of Fury, #2)
  • White-Knuckled Fear (Shades of Fury, #4)