Start by marking “Out of Her League (The Sun Never Sets, #2)” as Want to Read:
Out of Her League (The Sun Never Sets, #2)

Out of Her League (The Sun Never Sets #2)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
An AVA ARCHER PAYNE ‘HOT HISTORICAL’

Captain James Lancaster, formerly one of London’s most notorious rakes, returns to England a broken man after a brutal tour in the Crimea. He is wounded in body and spirit, his badly injured leg leaving him unable to walk without crutches.

Nurse Katherine Riley has spent her entire life caring for others, but lately she finds herself lon
Published July 17th 2012 by AAP Hot Historicals

To ask other readers questions about Out of Her League, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Her League

Maria
Aug 15, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on my blog - Queen of the Night Reviews

Out of Her League is a delightfully wicked Victorian romance set in London near the end of the Crimean War. With well developed characters, sharp dialogue and plenty of sexual heat, Ms. Payne captured my attention from the first page. While the Victorian era is well known for it's adherence to social and sexual restraint, Ms. Payne captured the periods beginning social revolution towards a more lax attitude between the upper working classes and th
Elise Marion
Dec 02, 2014 Elise Marion rated it it was amazing
Update: Upon re-read, this book is just as awesome as I remembered!

A lot of times when you read Historical erotica, it's all about the sex. There may be a few mentions of corsets and cravats thrown in, but the real history just isn't always there. What I loved about this book is that you get that hot erotic story, but with a rich Historical setting. As a former nursing student, I especially appreciated the history of nursing thrown in as well as mentions of Florence Nightingale.

As a heroine, I
D.G.
Dec 16, 2012 D.G. rated it liked it
Not bad! Considering the anachronistic title/cover and all the sideplots that ended up nowhere, the main characters had something to recommend them, specially the hero, who came out as charming and funny because as he put it "a little teasing is preferable to dark bouts of brooding."

With a subtitle like 'an erotic romance' I was expecting them to roll in the hay in the first five pages but it actually took until halfway through the novella! (There was some kissing and heavy petting before that,
Tin
Jan 02, 2015 Tin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I did a Sample Reading of this book when it was released in 2012 and really enjoyed the excerpt. I finally got the chance to read this book recently and most of what I wrote in my assessment of the first two sample chapters hold true: Kate's very unique "hobby" is what drew me in, and, when you read further and discover her family's story, you realise that it isn't merely a hobby, but her act of quiet rebellion against her unfeeling brothers. Kate is like many other women (of her time and ours) ...more
Sharon Fournier
Jan 26, 2014 Sharon Fournier rated it really liked it
This was a great quick read with steamy sex.....just how I love my Historical Romances. James, having been injured in the Crimean War is being helped with his recovery by Kate, a nurse at a local London hospital. Even though Kate is a twenty-three year old virgin who loves to wear sexy lingerie, she still has a sweet, but no-nonsense, innocence about her. James is expected to marry Miss Kittworthy (who is very unworthy, in my opinion), is attracted to Kate right from the start and Kate returns t ...more
Carra
Feb 20, 2014 Carra rated it really liked it
A good, quick hot read. For me as a modern-day woman, I can't imagine being tied to family members who would expect me to take care of them to the point of repressing my own wants...so I was rooting for Kate to break away to find her own happiness.

The characters were pretty well developed for such a short read. The thing that took a star away for me was the missing words or incorrect words scattered throughout the book. While I can fill in the blanks, simple editing errors like this will always
Jody
Aug 29, 2012 Jody rated it really liked it
Out of Her League, for being a rather short and quick read, packs a lot of emotions and super hot sexual encounters amongst the pages. From the likable characters to the nice balance between sexy encounters and character development this ends up being a satisfying read that will appeal to fans of the historical genre as well as erotica.

Katherine Riley's family used to socialize with the uppercrust until her father's passing and her brother's vices squandered their inheritance, forcing them to li
Tanya Urban Fantasy Freak
Smutty yet classy erotic historical romance, cinderella romance where the h is nurse who's taken for granted by her wastrel brothers. After the death of her father her fortunes turn for the worse and despite both of her brothers being surgeons the h has to drudge away as a nurse to support the family. To make things worse just before she is supposed to go on a coveted trip to paris france (while nurse maid to an elderly charge) her brother has gambled money they don't have & in order to pay ...more
Louis
Jan 28, 2013 Louis rated it it was amazing
Another great Kindle freebie find! It's also well worth the current price of $2.99. The story line is nothing special, but as intelligently crafted and engagingly written by this author, it moved along at a brisk pace and left me emotionally satisfied. The sex scenes and sexual tension are also very well done, and the h's lingerie obsession provides an appealing kinky touch.

Although this is currently the only book under the author's name, she claims to have been "writing historical romance for
Julie Smith
Oct 05, 2014 Julie Smith rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

For readers who like regency romance, this is for you. Its a feel good, make your toes curl read. Loved both h/h. I'm definitely adding this author to my favorites.
Michelle
Feb 26, 2016 Michelle rated it liked it
a quick sexy read but the romance happened too fast and I felt little of the connection.
Vee Paige
May 03, 2013 Vee Paige rated it really liked it
A well written erotic historical. I liked the characters especially James, he was funny and sexy. The sex scenes were well-place and had good build-up, there's actually an interesting story in this novella.The book ended a bit abruptly, but I was still satisfied with the ending.

I review paranormal, contemporary (including erotica), new adult and young adult romances. My 4 to 5 star reads can be found at:
Victoria Paige Books - Reviews

Pearls
Jul 18, 2013 Pearls rated it really liked it
A retelling of Cinderella with a historical twist. Instead of playing with her step-sisters' finery, she secretly buys her own to wear under nursing uniform. I loved watching Kate coming out of her shell. Some historical moments from the Crimean War give this short story more depth, even adding a bit of suspense to the ending. Ending with a ball, like all good Cinderella's story it's a nice HEA for all.
Cindy Vine
Aug 15, 2012 Cindy Vine rated it really liked it
I'm not really a historical romance type of person, but I enjoyed this book. Great light reading for a quiet afternoon. Her erotic scenes were well-written and quite steamy. What I liked about the book was that it was balanced. Good plot, well-told story, good character development all mixed together with steamy sex. A great little read!
R *is for Relentless*
Jan 27, 2013 R *is for Relentless* rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This was a great little historical romance with the heat turned up a notch. If you enjoy historical written for grown-ups with love scenes that don't fade to black give this a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I will definitely look for others by this author.
constance
I really enjoyed this ebook. it was a kindle freebie so I generally don't set my expectations too high, but I was very plesantly surprised by this one. I'll be sure to add more Ava Archer Payne to my TBR pile.
Suze
Mar 20, 2014 Suze rated it liked it
A free Amazon read that was quite entertaining. A bit of historical references to nursing in its early days. A bodice (or at least one chemise) ripper - sometimes improbable but fun never the less!
Lynelle Clark
Jan 28, 2016 Lynelle Clark rated it it was amazing
My review will be available on my blog on the 08/28 @
5Stars
Jamie
Dec 21, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. It was well written and I enjoyed the plot as well.
Melinda
A good, funny, short read. Enjoyed it.
Joycee
Dec 02, 2013 Joycee rated it liked it
Shelves: romances-read
Short, sweet & spicy! Yum!
Army-mom
Nov 13, 2012 Army-mom rated it really liked it
cute , nice little read
TaniLu
TaniLu marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Rebekah Bonds
Rebekah Bonds rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
S
S rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Ronnie
Ronnie added it
May 25, 2016
Catherine Moore
Catherine Moore rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Angela
Angela added it
Mar 24, 2016
  • What the Heart Sees
  • Love Letters
  • The Spinster's Secret
  • Seduced by Blood (A Sangre Novel, #1)
  • The Reluctant Marquess
  • To Seduce a Rogue (Southern Heat, #1)
  • Confessions of a Naughty Headmaster
  • Stilettos, Inc. (Stiletto Girls, #1)
  • The Dom Prize  (The Dominants Series 1)
  • Tag Team
  • To Love A Thief (Secrets & Scandals, #4)
  • To Feel Again (1Night Stand, #1)
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • A Certain Latitude
  • The Breaking (Eternal Dungeon, #1.1)
  • Persuading Prudence
  • The Bridge of Deaths
  • Enslaved in Shadows (Shadow Unit, #1)
All of my novels are now available on Kindle. I love to hear from readers! Please feel free to message me on Facebook. Happy reading to all, and thanks for visiting my page!

Also writes Historical Romance as Victoria Lynne.
More about Ava Archer Payne...

The Sun Never Sets (3 books)
  • The Wedding Bed (The Sun Never Sets, #1)
  • Wicked Games (The Sun Never Sets, #3)