Start by marking “Ampun Tuanku: A Brief Guide to Constitutional Government” as Want to Read:
Ampun Tuanku: A Brief Guide to Constitutional Government

Ampun Tuanku: A Brief Guide to Constitutional Government

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Malaysia is at a crossroads. Her discourse has never been so vibrant or so mature. Her people have never been more politically aware or involved. It is with this in mind that Zaid Ibrahim wades deep into uncharted waters and takes on the delicate subject matter that is the Malay Ruler and the role he plays in the formation of a constitutional government in Malaysia. In thi ...more
Published June 25th 2012 by ZI Publications Sdn Bhd (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ampun Tuanku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ampun Tuanku

Aziz Zabidi
Selepas beberapa kontroversi yang menyentuh Istana pasca 2008 termasuk pertukaran rejim pemerintahan di Perak, isu pelantikan menteri besar Terengganu dan Perlis serta isu-isu terkini yang berkait rapat dengan institusi istana seperti isu plat nombor WWW 1 dan terkini kontroversi blog Uncle Seekers, membaca buku terbaru Datuk Zaid Ibrahim, mantan menteri dan senator ini adalah sebuah pembacaan yang menarik.

Buku ini pada asasnya ialah satu usaha perbincangan intelektual tentang kedudukan serta pe
Nik MS
Aug 22, 2014 Nik MS added it
Krisis-krisis yang melibatkan sultan sebagai contoh krisis Menteri Besar Perak dan pelantikan Menteri Besar Terengganu serta beberapa yang lain mengundang beberapa persoalan di benak kita - apakah sebenarnya bidangkuasa sultan dalam negara kita.

Oleh itu, buku ini adalah antara buku yang tepat untuk menjawab persoalan yang dutarakan. Zaid Ibrahim cuba menerangkan tentang kedudukan dan peranan serta bidangkuasa raja-raja Melayu mengikut perlembagaan persekutuan sebagai undang-undang tertinggi nega
Kyairul Azmi Baharin
In this book, the author attempts to define what are the role, duties and most importantly, limitations of monarchs under a constitutional government. The main contention is that Malay rulers should not be involved in politics by choosing sides. The rulers should be seen as neutral and impartial. Him and his closest family should also stay away from being directly involved in business, so that they could avoid making decisions based on pressure or personal interest. The funds and taxpayer money ...more
Khairul H.
The review below first appeared in my blog, The Malaysian Reader

A well timed book this, what with the General Elections looming and for the first time in Malaysia’s history there is a distinct possibility that the Opposition could win the mandate of the people. Should that happen, Zaid Ibrahim asks, what will the ramifications be if “long-running tensions between the monarchy and the political establishment are not resolved”?

As anachronistic as the idea of a monarchy in a democratic country may
Azzam Syafiq
As a regular Malaysian, sometimes I wonder: what is actually the function of the Conference of Rulers and its members? We already have the Prime Minister to do the heavy lifting in administrating the country, what are the Kings for? Do they really represent something important in the country's governance? Or are they just wasting the rakyat's tax money by being a sloth at their big castles?

If you ever have thoughts like that, then this book is for you. Zaid Ibrahim tells us in a friendly yet str
Fariza
This is a great reading item for those interested on issues regarding our constitutional government. Zaid had shown us how a mature democracy should be done by writing this book. I am not a big fan of the Malay Ruler and always wonders what are their roles for the country. Here, in this book Zaid do answers my question regarding of them. It is interesting to know that we still struggle to find our identities as Malaysian. Zaid believed that a national identity will surely evolve when different c ...more
Jeff Lee
Firstly, I must say that Zaid writes well and I enjoyed reading his book from beginning to end.
Secondly, I must praise him for having the courage to write this book. He even admits that he could be open to threats and ridicule for expressing his opinions.
I learnt a lot about constitutional issues involving the monarchy, syariah law and Malays. I concur with Zaid that the rulers have a vital place in our society and that they command the respect they command from everyone can be put to good use
Ahmad Arif
While one may not agree with all of Datuk Zaid's contentions, one cannot deny that the man has produced a well researched and well argued book that begs a rebuttal from the feudal royalist and rabid republican camps. If all discussions can take place in a manner as reasoned as this, ours would be a better country for it. Pity the man's idealism has put him between a rock and a hard place, political future-wise.
Muhammad Ariff
Amat perlu dibaca oleh tiap-tiap daripada untuk mendapatkan pemahaman dan pencerahan perihal Perlembagaan dan kedudukan monarki di negara. Interpretasi yang sangat mendalam dan meluas. Mohon bagi mereka yang bergegar perihal politik yang diceduk daripada sang pemblog untuk dapatkan buku ini berserta senaskah Perlembagaan Persekutuan dan fahamkan.
Khairul Shafee
I enjoy Zaid Ibrahim writings. This book has opened my eyes on the role of the King and the Sultans in our society. Indeed, the Rulers have to play a bigger role. They are more than just a symbol. They should be with the people rather than taking sides. Anyway, this book is well written.
Johan Radzi
tiada input baru aku dapat.

okaylah untuk orang yang tidak berapa kenal perundangan. ia memberi nafas pengenalan untuk perlembagaan kita dengan udara yang sederhana.
Liyana
Every Malaysian should read this! Very delicately written.
Alya
Alya added it
Dec 24, 2014
Izzat
Izzat marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Nurul Syuhadah
Nurul Syuhadah marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Azwa MN
Azwa MN marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne added it
Apr 09, 2014
Najihah
Najihah marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
notme
notme is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2013
Nadira
Nadira marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Muzze Muzzamil
Muzze Muzzamil marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Saya Pun Melayu In Good Faith Dari Hati Yang Ikhlas Far & Sure: For Golf and Country Far & Sure