Start by marking “1913” as Want to Read:
1913

1913

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The Year We Failed America -- and How to Recover Her for Good

Three critical events in 1913, followed by a corresponding event in 1936, together struck a resounding blow to America’s freedom. In fact, they triggered the greatest turning point away from freedom in modern times.

What were these dangerous events? Why do so few American citizens know about them—especially since
Published July 2012 by Obstacles Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about 1913, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1913

Confidence of a Champion by Tim MarksResolved by Orrin WoodwardToughen Up! by Claude HamiltonLaunching a Leadership Revolution by Chris BradyRascal by Chris Brady
LIFE Published
7th out of 30 books — 14 voters
1776 by David McCullough1984 by George Orwell2001 by Arthur C. Clarke1215 by Danny Danziger1491 by Charles C. Mann
Books With a Year For a Title
27th out of 96 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Stan
We often hear or read statements like "Freedom isn't free" or "We are losing our freedom." These comments are often made in articles or discussions about people serving in the military. We understand the price these brave individuals have paid. Sadly, their efforts and our consciousness of the problem have been directed by our politicians and the mainstream media toward external threats, some of which are very real. But external threats, as bad as they are, may not be the most serious attack on ...more
Stephen
Displaying an exhaustive knowledge of his subject, Oliver DeMille details four specific events in American constitutional history that have led to the serious erosion of freedom throughout the past century. More importantly, he provides clear, concrete, and feasible action steps common citizens can take to restore our freedoms.

The subject matter is timely and vital. DeMille’s insights are piercing and original. In an era of vitriolic and shallow talk-show pundits, his focus on deep, root solutio
Jonathan
Yet another amazing book by Oliver DeMille. DeMille is so obviously keyed into his purpose, and his years and years of intense preparation, study, and experience allow him to deliver the message of liberty with clarity and accuracy.

The most important point I took from this book is that freedom can only exist when the people care enough to study out the issues and remain vigilant. DeMille writes:

"Another simple reality is this: When people lose their freedoms in such a system, it is always the pe
David Garza
Wow... What a fantastic book... And I read it at such a great time. This is not a Republican or Democrat book. This is a book about freedom as defined by the US Constitution and some actions that have severely hindered those freedoms in the US. Anyone who values the future of this country should definitely read this book!
Joshua
I really liked the quotes he gave from a president that is not well know in history but was fighting for the things that are mentioned in this book
Jennifer Radtke
Oliver DeMille is an amazing thinker. I've read two of his books now and found that he inspires me to do better in my life and to teach my children all the things that they might be missing out on. Not that I don't already try to do that, I just never thought of focusing on the history of the things before.
This was an amazing book. The back of the book is a great teaser for what's inside, "Three critical events in 1913, followed by a corresponding event in 1936, together struck a resounding blo
Celeste Batchelor
I'm afraid I cannot do this book justice with a review. I am very thankful for the author's artful explanation of the Turning Points a hundred years ago that have led to our current debacle as a nation. I will never look at legislation the same again and feel inspired and motivated to read all historical documents and current laws. As a citizen, it is my duty to read and understand what is happening to and in our government.

DeMille explains four Turning Points that need to be reversed, giving us
Janiece
Excellent book. Highly recommended. --And I cannot say that for most books that I have read handling such a subject because of the tone of the book. This one is altogether different. It is clear and concise, optimistic, yet realistic. Even though I was familiar with much of the content, it was presented in a way that brought clarity and connection in a way I have not seen before. More than that, it gives solutions. I love his expose' on how rare freedom is. We the people are the problem and the ...more
Ruth Hinds
I know I'm pretty ignorant about US History. I know enough about the Founding Fathers and the beginning of this country that I have great admiration and gratitude for the life they set up for us. But when I read things they said, and the things they believed in, I find that we are so far from what the founders had intended or hoped for. Somehow, we really messed things up. I wondered where we went wrong. Was it a gradual decline, or did something big happen in the last two hundred years that got ...more
Joe Cusick
This book was a fabulous read and everyone and anyone should read it to learn about the history of our financial system and how things began to change in 1913. Sadly, most people don't have a clue about what has happened. Our government continues to literally take money right out of our pockets year over year.
Easton
This message is critical to our freedom. Most people who love freedom are only doing a few of the things it takes to retain it. We are very good at pointing our fingers at our current politicians and representatives and telling them when they are off track but we are terrible at holding ourselves accountable to the standards that maintain freedom. This book not only gives a historical background to our last Force Shift, it explains what it will take to prevent another one in the next 25 years.

I
James Carthy
Jul 04, 2014 James Carthy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in learning about how certain amendments to our constitution harm our freedoms.
Recommended to James by: LIFE Leadership
This was a great history lesson of the addition of certain amendments to our constitution and how it effects the freedoms of our country.
Dave Stadel
I really appreciated how easy it was to read, grasp the facts, and understand the underlying principles. In this book Oliver discusses the impact of three events that happened without much fanfare in 1913, and a fourth in 1936, that dramatically changed the course of freedom in America.

I believe anyone could read this book and understand it, regardless of their prior knowledge in history, political science, or civics. I also think everyone should read this book regardless of their level of inter
Richard Monyer
A very convicting read. It saddens me that many Americans will not read this book and those that do may just shrug off the need to change. Without a renewed mindset to diligently take steps to educate ourselves and our children on what freedom is and how to protect it; therefore instilling in them a responsibility to maintain those freedoms; I'm afraid we will continue to see our freedoms eroded as giants of power and nobility entertain themselves to death! Real solutions are in this book for th ...more
Michael Johnson
Another Demille home run.
Philip Meinel
Oliver DeMille has provided useful insight into a major, but relatively unknown turning point in U.S. history. He explains how a few key events, which began in 1913, have led to our current national distress. DeMille also lays out practical solutions to turn our nation’s future in a positive direction. This book is a call for the American people to refocus on our founding principles, accept personal accountability, and once again, lead the world with a truly free society.
John Jinks
Apr 23, 2013 John Jinks rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Freedom Fighters, Political Activists, Concerned Citizens
Roughly every 100 years we either go througfh a Freedomshift or a Forceshift, we either see more freedom or we see more force. The last shift occured in 1913 and unfortunately it was a Forceshift. This book outlines details of the last shift, and gives details on how we can make sure the next shift is a Freedomshift.

A very well-written and highly detailed book for those who want to understand freedom.
John
A great synopsis of the biggest erosion of our freedom in the last 100 years. We are at the point in our nation's history where all of the other great civilizations collapsed. This book details the reasons we are losing our freedom and, most importantly, identifies the three things we can all do to restore and preserve freedom for the next generation.
David Madden
I liked how the book was broken into two sections. The first was an easy to read history of America, while the second was a practical guide that people can undertake to protect freedoms. This book was able to articulate what freedom is and what to look out for in political discussions. I would be happy to recommend it.
Marc Page
After reading 1913, I realized many people, including myself, would vote without enough context to make an informed decision. If we don't know where we came from, we lose the context in which we are voting.

1913 explains how we got here and gives suggestions on actions we can take to make our country a free nation.
Lee
Amazing insight and detail into how America has changed ... and declined. Although most people, I feel, would consider that America is in a downhill turn, they are unclear as to why or how we got here. This book does an excellent job explaining why and how to undo. Glad to call myself an entrepreneur.
Jim Davis
This is a great read for those who have a sincere desire to learn more about early twentieth century progressive history and ideology, how that ideology has effected America (particularly in the year 1913), and how we can shift the tide back in favor of more freedom. It's hopeful and inspiring.
Melanie Hansen
If this book does not inspire you to read the fine print and fight for freedom, I don't know what will. Great book about pivotal events that began the process of the place we no find ourselves in....the constitution hanging by a thread, and what, if anything are we going to do about it?
Aaron Crim
A MUST read. Oliver DeMille is one of the most educated Americans on the founding of the United States and one of the Most well read people in government, freedom, and economics. Which makes this book a must read for any person concerned about the direction of our country.
Steve Casey
Exceptional and should be a classroom book for every high school and college kid In America. Put on your Must-read list. Oliver is a captivating speaker. Know your history and what has changed our freedom in the past 100 years and what absolutely must happen to get it back.
Alondra
Good book!

Really gets you thinking on how we take freedom for granted. It gives really goo examples of the generation of people we are raising and how we can change our nation back to the great nation it was.

If you haven't read this go read it!
Brandon Perry
A very simple read about some of the major turning points to freedom that happened in 1913. Author also offers some solutions to help reverse our current and get it heading back in the right direction. Highly recommend reading a few times.
Lee Corbin
Good book
Really gets you thinking on how we take freedom for granted. It gives really good examples of the generation of people we are raising and how we can change our nation back to the great nation it was.

If you haven't read this go read it!"
Cat Miglionico
This is a quick read but packed full of information. I think this should be added to government class & every American should read it will open the eyes to the decline instead of media propaganda.
Josh

DeMille is one of my new favorites, the Vivid visuals provided that clearly explain the trouble we are in as a Country make his writing riveting and refreshing.
  • LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • Rascal: Making a Difference by Becoming an Original Character
  • Toughen Up!
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude...and You Change Your Life!
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court
  • Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • George Washington on Leadership
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
Oliver DeMille is the founder and former president of George Wythe University, a founding partner of The Center for Social Leadership, and the author of A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders for the 21st Century.

As a university student, Oliver went on a search for a truly great education — experiencing private and public universities, technical and religious schools, corpo
More about Oliver DeMille...
A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders for the Twenty-first Century A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion Leadership Education: The Phases of Learning Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens The Coming Aristocracy