Start by marking “Is Anybody There?” as Want to Read:
Is Anybody There?

Is Anybody There?

Is anybody there?

For Marcus Mullen, being a latchkey kid is no bigdeal. Every day after school, he picks up his key from it's hiding place in the oak tree in the yard, and spends the afternoon working on his bike or cooking dinner for his mom and himself. It's been like that ever since his father died, and Marcus has never minded -- until the day his key isn't there. That'
Published May 15th 1990 by HarperCollins (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Is Anybody There?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is Anybody There?

Lj bunker
Nov 22, 2014 Lj bunker rated it liked it
This book starts out with Marcus Mullen going through his daily routines as a normal kid would do. He dose happen to be in a sorta unique situation his father has passed away so he cooks and doses other chores to help his mother. One day he comes home to find his key is not in its hiding spot. After this point in the book he has this creepy feeling about his house. Later on in the book he learns his mom is seeing a new man (Nick) at first and up until the end of the book he is unsure how he feel ...more
Jan 09, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
In my elementary school years, this was my absolute favorite book to read. If I could have stole it from the school library I would have. Being a long time mystery buff, I always loved the build-up of suspense as Marcus is trying to figure out what is going on at his house. The book also shows how a boy must become the man of the house when tragedy strikes. A great book for any kid to read!
Janet Blowers
Jan 02, 2011 Janet Blowers rated it it was ok
My youngest daughter had to read this one for her 4th grade class......so far it seems a little scary but I am sure it will turn out ok.

Update; It did turn out ok, but still thought it was not a good choice of reading. It is not ok to to tell your parents that your key went missing and then came back....really weird.
Liz
Dec 18, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
Marcus, a 13-year-old boy, thinks someone is coming into their house and stealing things. This book was fascinating to me, and I'll keep it to read again later. I don't know how realistic the relationship with his mother is since he's a teenager but it was heart-warming and had lots of feel-good scenes.
Duane
Sep 09, 2008 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for the beginner chapter readers who want an exciting story to keep them intrigued. Marcus is a latch-key kid and he never minded before until he starts to notice things missing and he wants to blame the new tenant upstairs who also happens to like his mom. Filled with great details and exciting story lines, you'll enjoy this story from beginning and end.
Demethius Jackson
Apr 18, 2013 Demethius Jackson rated it really liked it
I first read this in 5th grade during the early 90's and thoroughly enjoyed it this Christmas time mystery. Reading this book became one of my annual holiday traditions leading up to jr. high school, and I'd still recommend it to this day.
Mary Smith
Feb 23, 2013 Mary Smith rated it it was amazing
Read to sixth grade class
Rhayla
Mar 15, 2011 Rhayla rated it did not like it
It was amazing I couldn't stop reading it!!
It was so good I thought it was one of the very best book's I've ever read!
Krystal
May 15, 2009 Krystal rated it really liked it
this is a pretty good book. you expect something to happen but then it doesn't.
Nov 21, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Read it in 6th grade.
Christina Ortiz
Christina Ortiz rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2008
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Tamara Haskett
Tamara Haskett rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Cole Kennedy
Cole Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Kevin Colon
Kevin Colon rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2011
Celia Henderson
Celia Henderson rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2015
Catherine  Mustread
Catherine Mustread rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Merlene Neville
Merlene Neville rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Mere
Mere rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2009
Delaney
Delaney rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Candace
Candace rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Richard Stephens
Richard Stephens rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2009
Robyn
Robyn rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2011
Mas5thgrade2011
Mas5thgrade2011 rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...