Start by marking “The Mapmaker's Sons” as Want to Read:
The Mapmaker's Sons

The Mapmaker's Sons

Published October 26th 2012 by Move Books (first published October 15th 1912)

To ask other readers questions about The Mapmaker's Sons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mapmaker's Sons

Sue
Oct 27, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
Mapmaker's Son's by V.L. Burgess fulfills its publisher's mission get those middle grade students, especially boys, to read! The reluctant reader will choose the title for its slim size and get hooked right away with Tom Hawkins scaling walls and battling adversaries in the bell tower. While geared for those who do not want to read under any circumstances, parents, teachers, and librarians will find that this is not the typical book for that purpose. Instead of watered-down vocabulary and many ...more
Lori Calabrese
Sep 26, 2012 Lori Calabrese rated it it was amazing
As most of you know, I have two boys, so I was intrigued to learn that a new publisher was starting and their mission was Middle Grade Books for boys. Let's face it, the market is inundated with the latest romantic vampire read and boy books usually get overlooked. Most parents and educators are always on the hunt to find ways to promote reading amongst boys, so it's refreshing to see Move Books want to change the way boys look at reading.

Their first title is THE MAPMAKER'S SONS by V.L. Burgess
Amy
Aug 30, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
I was invited to read an advance copy of this title, and was very pleasantly entertained by it. I would definitely recommend it to elementary readers, reluctant middle school readers, and even adults who want a delightful little adventure break ;-) The plot is developed nicely and flows well from the first page to the last. What young reader wouldn't be intrigued by an orphan, a stern headmaster, mysterious strangers in dark cloaks, a magical map, a legend of good and evil forces, and many ...more
Christine
Aug 25, 2012 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: advanced reading copy
The MAPMAKER'S SONS is suspenseful and a fast-paced adventure that is like a young Indian Jones times two. There are many twists and surprises that will leave readers anxious to read to the end. [Note: This is easy to visualize this novel as if a screen movie.]
Bonnie
Burgess, V. L., and Jon Berkeley. The Mapmaker's Sons. Beacon Falls, CT: Move, 2012. Print.:
Summary: Tom goes to a very structured boys 19 prep school. Every time a bell rings, the boys have to do something. Tom, the main character in the book, attempts to silence the bells by climbing to the roof. There he meets a pirate named Umbrey from another era. Enemies (the Watch) appear as well and a small battle ensues. Umbrey, talks Tom into coming back to his world to save the people from the abusive
Theresa Milstein
Aug 20, 2014 Theresa Milstein rated it really liked it
Since my son has gotten older, I haven't read as much middle grade fantasy-adventure. He used to be a reluctant reader, which is the exact target for this publishing company. I just wrote a MG manuscript with a boy main character, so I thought this book appealed to me as a writer. After a few chapters, I was swept into the story! In fact, I had a hard time putting it down. Maybe I'm the target audience!

The main character, Tom, climbs up a tower to cause mischief on the boarding school's bell. A
Kathryn Reeder
Dec 08, 2014 Kathryn Reeder rated it it was amazing
CB
Jul 02, 2016 CB rated it liked it
This slim volume could easily be a gateway book for a 5th/6th grader into the world of fantasy novels. It's a straightforward story that moves quickly, without a ton of character development. That said, there are a lot tweaks to standard fantasy tropes which kept me mildly interested. The nostalgic frame of a modern kid falling into a fantasy world (ala so many 80s movies) was pleasant too. I have to object, however, over the diversity issue. The only characters of color are the Djembe warriors ...more
Stephanie Franco
Mar 10, 2014 Stephanie Franco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh fantasy fiction books! How imaginative, adventurous, and brilliant they are! Growing up I was a sucker for treasure map stories…old cartography maps, trails, and “x marks” the spot trivia! “The Mapmaker’s Sons” has all these elements and more; powerful wizards, good/bad magic, evil ruler, dragons, a sword, and a hero…well in this case make it two, because we’re talking twins here! Tom and Porter were separated at birth and finally 2 days before their 14th birthday they are introduced to one ...more
KidsFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call number: J BURGESS V
Stephanie’s rating: 4 stars

C. McKenzie
Dec 10, 2012 C. McKenzie rated it it was amazing
I'm always a sucker for a quest, but if it's not well done with exciting twists and turns, believable obstacles, forward moving plot and developed characters, I can lose interest. Fortunately, this quest had all of those ingredients.

In spite of the over used theme of twins separated at birth, I thought the author handled the two boys' relationship well, making it complex enough to keep me involved. I liked not being able to predict betrayal or loyalty, and I liked the surprise discovery about t
Jacqui
May 04, 2013 Jacqui rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple but satisfying. This adventure tale with a nod to seemingly every classic childhood tale has borrowed all the essential elements - dragons, deadly wild beasts, a treasure map, pirates, battles, betrayal, evil rulers,characters who are not what they seem, and a treasure map that leads the heroes on a quest for a magical sword - and has thrown them all together in a dashing read - what's not to like?
Melissa Mcavoy
A fantasy adventure designed to hook boys who like the Percy Jackson and or Alex Rider series. Loosely based on the sword in the stone legend. (This is explicitly acknowledged.) It is fast paced and adequately, if not elegantly written. I kept hoping for something less predictable, but the girl had honey colored hair and was graceful, the villains were loutish and the brothers overcame their animus. A satisfying, if undemanding read. (Seems to be first in a series.)
Jessica Haight
Dec 09, 2012 Jessica Haight rated it it was amazing
I have to say, I loved this book! The Mapmaker's Sons by V.L. Burgess is as exciting as a fun adventure should be. The writing is excellent and the pacing is perfect. This story would definitely be great for boys, as there is a lot of action and adventure. I can relate to Tom and particularly enjoyed the back story about his childhood. I would recommend this book for ages 10 and up. For all of you thrill seekers out there- this book is for you!
Jacqui
May 04, 2013 Jacqui rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, guys
Emma
Jul 20, 2016 Emma rated it did not like it
This book was the worst book I have ever read. Absolutely terrible. I personally felt like it had almost no storyline, more like a fairytale. The writing sounded like J.R.R Tolkein, A dragon fairytale, and a pirate adventure all rolled together. J.R.R. tolkien happens to be my favorite author, but all those things combined is terrible. Like Jell-O, brownies, and tomato soup. Yuck.
Chris
Feb 20, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written for boys, this is a fast read for adults, with many classical elements of a fantasy - the lost heir to the throne, dangers at every turn, and a boy hero. A good read to capture boys who are reluctant readers.
Quentin
Jan 25, 2014 Quentin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had a good plot line, but I think the other world could have been a little different. It was short, but a good read.
Kyla Phillips
Sep 25, 2015 Kyla Phillips rated it liked it
It was a fun read. Very interesting story. The brothers made excellent lead characters and the interactions between made for good reading
Mo
Apr 12, 2014 Mo added it
Shelves: half-read
DNF: the book is trying too hard to be a compelling fantasy story but doesn't really manage to do that. Also, the character names are pretty terrible. "Keegan" is a bad guy name?
Stephen Fichter
Apr 22, 2015 Stephen Fichter rated it really liked it
Two brothers unite for a true cause with the helps of some old family friends. Entertaining youth story.
Westfordys
Jun 18, 2013 Westfordys rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Great fast-paced, adventure/fantasy that grabs the reader from the first chapter. Jacki

I loved this book! Nancy
Tracie
Mar 25, 2013 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, adventure, fantasy
Excellent fantasy/adventure about two brothers who must unite to save both their worlds. Great pick for those younger readers who are strong but not yet ready for more intense fantasy.
Stephen
Stephen rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Jenna F.
Jenna F. rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Mrs. Ekstrand
Mrs. Ekstrand rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Lisa Nocita
Lisa Nocita rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2013
U D
U D rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Karina
Karina rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014