Start by marking “A Kiss of Adventure” as Want to Read:
A Kiss of Adventure

A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  771 ratings  ·  67 reviews

Desperate and on the run, Tillie Thornton finds herself in an uneasy partnership with Graeme McLeod, a daring adventurer who comes out of nowhere to thwart the plot of Tillie’s would-be kidnappers. Now these two must join forces against their common enemies, as well as the challenges of nature, as they embark on a quest that could bring them the answers they seek—or cost t

Hardcover, Large Print, 472 pages
Published December 31st 2003 by Thorndike Press (first published March 21st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss of Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kiss of Adventure

Alice
What an epic adventure! It's been a long time since a book had me on the edge of my seat, frantic to know what will happen next and just as frustrated as the characters in their desperate search for the treasure of Timbuktu.
This book had a gripping plot, all sorts of characters- some that become like family as the story progresses, and make you miss them when it ends-, a moving and "tissues-required" redemption scene, and a profound message on the importance of discovering where our treasure is
Gwen
Be careful what you wish for. Frustrated with her dull life in Bamako, Mali, and eager to make a difference for Christ, Tillie learns the truth of that old adage when she finds herself kidnapped by a rogue adventurer and chased by the Tuareg, who believe that as a woman working in agro forestry, she alone can find the treasure of Timbuktu and lift a two-hundred-year-old curse going back to the days of Mungo Park.

I ate up this book like candy. Never a dull moment, just the way I like it. Sure, ma
Lisa Carter
Can I tell you how much I love, love, love the books in this series? My teenage daughter loves them too. So much romance and adventure wrapped up in each book. An adventure equal to Indiana Jones and National Treasure set in an exotic locale where love and all its inherent misadventures finally turns right in the the end.

Did I mention how much I love these books? :)
Maryann
Nov 08, 2009 Maryann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maryann by: MV Doulos
Shelves: heartquest, romance
A great story with a sort of Indiana Jones twist where the main girl, Tillie gets thrown into an adventure with the Indiana Jones of the story, Graeme. She tests her faith and she questions her engagement. The plot has action and faith unfolding on every page.
Becca
So good! Ah! I loved it. It made make a terrific movie, so long as they kept it just like the book. Suspense, love, treasure, this book had it all.
Melody
I stumbled into this series as I searched for a new Christian author at the used book store. They had volumes 1 and 3 so I bit. I had no idea it would be a romance adventure set in Africa written Indiana jones style. I do not typically read adventure books but it was enjoyable. In my mind not very believable adventures but a fun way to spend a long holiday weekend.i like the frequent scriptural quotes that Tillie uses and Graeme follows an interesting path to finding his faith. Think it was a fi ...more
Tawnie Caballero
Fast-paced, I didn't want to put it down. Lots of twists and turns.
Monica
such a delightful mix of romance, adventure and great family values!
Rachel Thompson
I downloaded this book for free for my Sony e-reader.

Tillie thought she had her life all planned out, until a young boy gives her an amulet meant to unravel a great secret. One moment she's being hunted in a crowded marketplace, the next she's being rescued by a mysterious stranger with a thirst for adventure. But Graeme is more than just an adventurer -- he claims to be a writer seeking the last journal of Mungo Park, which is thought to be hidden somewhere near Timbuktu.

This story started off
Pen-rye-n
I grew up in a pretty religious family. Or, rather, with a very religious dad, so I was raised with Christian lit being featured prominently on our bookshelves, alongside the classics. I can get behind a good Christian novel, but I don't like to be preached at. Not when I read. Tell me about it, suggest it to me, but don't preach it at me. Don't slam it down my throat. I've found that many many Christian authors can't carry a story while getting their divine message across without shoving it in ...more
Lyuba
I downloaded it for free on kindle since the title was catchy, and it was in the romance section. I had no idea it was a Christian romance though. I would say that normally I'm all for it, but it took me FOREVER to get through this book! Ok, more like 8 days but for me that's forever.

I liked the preface of the story, and it was a fun history/culture lesson but other than that... it was pretty boring to me. I'm sure the biggest reason why it seemed so boring was the constant preaching which I co
Wendy Sparkes
#1 in Treasures of the Heart series.

Get ready for a wild ride across Mali as Tillie & Graeme as they escape from the Tuareg caravan & try to stay ahead of them in the search for Mungo Park's journal & the Treasure of Timbuktu.

I loved how Mali came to life in this story! As they travelled down the Niger (complete with hippos, crocodiles & mosquitos!) and across the desert (complete with the sharp & unforgiving underbrush, unrelenting heat & a sandstorm!) and into the dark
Stephanie
I liked the plot for the most part; plenty of action and conflict. The romance between Tillie and Graeme was sweet. Overall, this was a book that enjoyed.
The only thing that I could've done with out is all of the churchy religious banter and thoughts. I'm sure that this book is marketed as Christian literature, but it could have been written without the religious themes and still been a great book. I mean no offence to anyone who is religious, but that's not me (not that I'm not religious at all
Donna
The book kept my interest but was a little far fetched. I really don't think that Tilly and Graeme could have survived all they went through. They would have been good contestants for the T V show Survivor. But I finished it glad that Arthur got his due.
Jessie
Released at a time when 90% of Christian fiction was sub-par, this book was one of the few that stood out as a solid, fun read.

While it might be considered average today, I love this book (and give it 5 stars) partially because the author cared enough to write a well-crafted, interesting adventure tale at a time when most Christian fiction was barely palatable (Beleive me, I know. I worked at a Christian bookstore at the time.)

The adventure is fun, the local is exotic, and the romance is inte
Bonnigene Cloud
This is a great christian, adventure, romance novel..what would you do if you were practically engaged and found someone who held your same sense of adventure and love of life? Someone who was everything you could want, but wasn't Christain. Would you let yourself fall in love? Or does your faith lead you to the man you are meant to be with the rest of your life?

This is a great romance that follows a traditional Chrisitian problem with the adventures of the African wilderness. It also shows tha
Vicki
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It was quite a different sort of adventure in the Christian suspense line. Very nice read.
Janeice
I got this book online for my nook color and wasn't sure if I would like it because it was free. It is a very good book. It has a good story plot and keeps the reader holding their breath waiting to see what is going to happen next. Quite a few twists and turns and finding an ending that is somewhat of what you expect but yest some things were not expected. Brings to mind a lot of Christian truths and a lot of scriptures which is for me a way of life for me that you remember scriptures that you ...more
Tammy
Feb 20, 2013 Tammy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Fiction Readers
This was only the second book I have read by this author and as I began this book I thought that I probably couldn't finish it. The setting is in Africa (which is out of the norm for me) and several languages and unfamiliar terms were being used. However, I continued on with chapter one and then chapter two and I was hooked!!! I loved this book! I loved the visual description by the author and now I would actually like to visit Africa and travel the Niger River.

Also, being of the Christian faith
Melissa
I was a little hesitant reading this book (it was a free Kindle book) because my success with other Free Kindle books has not been very good. BUT I LOVED THIS BOOK.

This was a fast-paced Indian Jones (Christian style of course) adventure. The twists and turns were incredible and the book was well written. I loved how the history of Mungo Park was intertwined with the story, and finding out he really did exist makes the mystery all the more exciting.

I can't wait to read the other two books, and ch
Kristen
It takes a few chapters to get going- I found the first a bit confusing not knowing how the characters were related. It gets much better as it goes on.

It is about an american in Africa who gets caught up in an adventure with a wandering Camel Riding Tribe after her. They think she is "the one" that will help them find a treasure. The book is a bit far fetched. It was a Free ebook from Amazon so it has a lot of religous references in it. It is very different from my normal reads so I really enjo
Mare
A free nook download for me, but one I’d pay for too.
Tillie grew up in Africa & works at cultivating trees. This gets her tangled into a old legend/curse & kidnapped. Enters Graeme an adventurer/ writer who is looking for his ancestors , Mungo Park’s, last journal which is thought to be hidden somewhere near Timbuktu. Graeme saves her form the amenoukal’s kidnapping attempt & from her boyfriends proposal & a action packed adventure begins.. .where bonds are formed, old ones ques
Samantha Hedges
I really wished that the tile of this book had not been changed. It had originally been published with a name that didn't shout ROMANCE. I almost didn't read it. But...

I liked it very much for its use of real history and geography that was throughout the book. Yes it is a romance. yes it is a Christian novel, which i did not realize, before starting it. I usually skim over the parts that make these books Christian. Since I am not Christian, i prefer not to read those parts, which is why I only g
Kat
For this being an older christian novel, I really enjoyed this book. It was a unique adventure that kept you on your toes. I thought the main character dealt with some real world feelings of struggle between liking a non-christian. I also enjoyed how Tillie looked for strength from God. She followed him even when it was out of her comfort zone. I enjoyed reading about Timbuktu and the history behind it. I was definatly an original storyline with twists and turns. I would reccomend it.
Juan Morel
Kept me on the suspense of wanting more. Didn't want to stop reading.
Susie
This book was REALLY GOOD. Maybe even 5 stars (which I rarely give). BUT it was soooo preachy. I skipped over it (like I usually do with Christian romance) but it was really too much. Way too much. If you can't handle the constant scripture quoting, don't bother. If you can skip over it like I did, you might enjoy this book. It was a fun, exciting mystery/adventure/history lesson, with a really great, believable romance built in.
Melanie
I enjoyed this book for the second time yesterday. I remembered reading it and I said to myself I really want to read that book again. Strangely enough, I saw it and I knew I had to read it. It was just as good as I remembered. A book on love and faith, trust and perseverance. Things may not be all that they seem in this inspirational fiction novel. Read it and find out what happens in this action packed book.
Melissa
This was a fun fast paced read. The story was very interesting and the characters were ok. There was a lot of preaching going on tho and that is not my preference. I like it in there but not all over. And as a general rule I don't like romances where the one is a believer and the other not so they can't be together. But the history and the setting was well done and interesting. Very clean.
Kristine
For some reason, I love this book and have since I first read it over a decade ago. Tillie is such an appealing character to me, though I can see where some would consider her a little flat. Graeme is certainly dashing and rugged, but his subtle ways of watching out for Tillie during their adventure make him an attractive character as well. Overall, it's a light and very fun read!
Life Between Coffee Spoons
  • Stealing Jake
  • Sons of Thunder
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Delivery
  • Hurricanes in Paradise
  • The Oak Leaves (The Oak Leaves #1)
  • All Through the Night
  • The Vigilante's Bride (Texas Rangers #1)
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Through the Fire
  • Sixteen Brides
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • A Time to Heal (Quilts of Lancaster County, #2)
  • Ransomed Dreams
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers #1)
  • Miss Match (Lauren Holbrook, #1)

Catherine Palmer lives in Atlanta with her husband, Tim, where they serve as missionaries in a refugee community. They have two grown sons. Cathy is a graduate of Southwest Baptist University and holds a master's degree in English from Baylor University. Her first book was published in 1988. Since then she has
More about Catherine Palmer...
Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1) The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2) The Affectionate Adversary (Miss Pickworth Series #1) Finders Keepers Prairie Fire (A Town Called Hope, #2)