Start by marking “The Boys Of Summer (Songs of Summer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Boys Of Summer (Songs of Summer, #1)
Read Excerpt

The Boys Of Summer (Songs of Summer #1)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  21 reviews
It's 1989 in Limerick, Ireland, and eleven year old Richie South's summer is shattered by a terrible crime which happens within a few feet of his home. When little Tommy Kelly is murdered in the local quarry, Richie and his friends decide that they are going to bring the killer to justice.

Richie grows up fast, experiencing grief, horror and even love, in the the space of
Kindle Edition, Revised Edition, 243 pages
Published July 20th 2012 by hhpublishing

To ask other readers questions about The Boys Of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys Of Summer

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Best Coming of Age Stories
38th out of 777 books — 887 voters
St Patrick's Day Special by J.J. TonerIn the Woods by Tana FrenchPriest by Ken BruenThe Long Game by J.L. FynnThe Dead by Ingrid Black
Irish Crime Fiction
11th out of 48 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Peffy
I've just finished this book, and I feel like I've been punched in the gut and left for dead. In the best possible way. You think you know where it's going, you think you know what's coming, but you don't. You just... don't. Mr. West spins a sense of unease from the opening pages, and builds it and builds it into a tangible dread and an ending so horrible and real, I may well have nightmares. My heart raced through the entire last of the story, and I could not put it down. Reminiscent, in my min ...more
Vivienne Roche
This time 24 hours ago, I was about half-way through The Boys Of Summer, having started it just a few hours earlier. Not long after midnight, I read the final paragraph. Mouth open, in a state of semi-shock; a shot or two of strong whiskey wouldn't have gone astray, particularly as I was faced with the task of trying to get to sleep which was no mean feat after reading THAT story.

It was the last thing I thought of before I eventually nodded off & the first thing I thought about on waking th
Seakat
Amazing. West grabs you in the first few paragraphs and never lets you go. What starts as a coming-of-age adventure takes a sudden turn and takes you on a white-knuckle ride to the finish.

Reminded me of early Stephen King mixed with a bit of Tana French. West draws you in with his sure sense of place and time (Limerick, Ireland in the 1980s) his Richie South (the narrator) takes us on through a vivid story that contrasts the giddy insecurity and delights of first love with the darker passions o
Amelia
Ok, I'll come clean - I've read it, but I haven't read the final edit . . . So I'm going to cough up for a Kindle and buy a copy because it's so brilliant it deserves a re-read. In fact, it deserves a day off work with some comfy pyjamas and a Limerick slang dictionary. Sounds pure rapid, sham.
Ciarán West
Aug 20, 2012 Ciarán West added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Interesting to read it again from start to finish, rather than backwards (which is how I did the final edit). I'm proud of it; it's the sort of book I'd read.
Carly

Well, I have just finished and I can honestly say I feel exhausted. This book took me on a roller-coaster through the whole feckin' theme park.

I thought I knew where it was headed and then BAM! West pulls out something I hadn't even considered, and I was constantly wondering and guessing at how this story was going to pan out, even until the final pages. When I was once again blown away.

This book is horrifying but beautiful at the same time, if that makes sense. Seeing the world through the ey
Jenn Theyellowdart
The styling of this book is brilliant. It's like you think you're going for a lovely walk by the park and pond, but you end up veering off by accident into the horrible forrest where you stumble upon an immense pile of decayed bunny rabbit bodies. The Boys of Summer is a slow build, with plenty of atmosphere crafted by the use of slang and a general feeling of insecurity that permeates the main character's sense of being.
Everyone can relate to Richie (the main character) in some way or another;
Lainie
Wow, not sure where to start about this beautiful, haunting novel. First off, I have to mention the Limerick slang. When I started to read it was a little odd but it was easy enough to tell what the words meant by context and as I read along I got into it and was even tempted to use Limerickisms around the house (to the bafflement of my family). I live in New York and I still use Texas slang here, but whereas my tossing out, "I've got a hitch in my get-along" just sounds stupid and hickish, Ciar ...more
Louise
I will be honest and say that it took me until about the 3rd chapter before I really got into this book but by chapter 5 I couldnt wait for more. This is a tale about Richie,an 11yr old boy coming of age in the late 80's in Limerick . The way West describes Richies thoughts and actions with the girl next door is so accurate that I now dont want my son of the same age to have a girlfriend until he is 30!!! It also tells of friendship, peer pressure and the fight within Richies head of whats right ...more
Janna Mashburn
I love a good murder mystery, and I hit jackpot when I settled down with this one! This book takes place in Limerick, Ireland and was a page turner from the first chapter. The Irish slang the author uses took some getting used to, but I got the hang of it and felt like I was transported to Ireland in no time. I really connected with the characters and their experiences they lived. The story was brilliantly narrated by a young Richie, and it was quite intersting to read through the mind of an 11 ...more
Sara Habein
The story, its pacing and content, is absolutely enthralling. Normally, I am extremely slow about reading e-books because I have no reader for them other than my laptop, so they don't make for good before-bed reading. Instead, I tend to catch up on them while I'm folding laundry. I hate folding laundry, so I only manage a handful of pages at a time.

Reading The Boys of Summer, my laundry was exceptionally folded.

(My full review appears at Glorified Love Letters.)
Tassaura
The Boys of Summer takes you through a tumultuous summer in Limerick for a group of friends. Beautifully written from the perspective of Richie, an eleven year old, learning so much in such a small amount of time. Occasionally fast paced which leaves you breathless with excitement and fear, to a meandering dreamlike quality which leaves you wishing nostalgically for the long hot summers of your own childhood. Heartbreaking and heartwarming in turns. Nicely done.
Susan
I really liked this one. Tons of twists and turns and most of it told from the perspective of an eleven year old. A great study on how things can get out of hand quickly. I did not like the amount of time spent on sex between an eleven year old boy and a thirteen year old girl. I did not like the last few pages where everything was summed up like the author was just tired of the story and said, I quit.
Kristi Marshall
I'd have to say I haven't read such a great book in a while. The characters have so much depth and emotion. This book made me happy and sad at the same time. I could hardly put it down. It's a very gripping, suspenseful, and relatable story. I absolutely loved it, I might even read it again sometime in the future :)
Lori
It took me a couple of chapters to get into it & used to the language , but once I did I couldn't put this book down! A disturbing but fantastic read!
Bonnie (aka mswas) W
Fantastic debut novel by a talented writer. Wholeheartedly recommend it! Check out my review here: http://mswas.wordpress.com/2012/08/11...
Jami
This was an excellently written story. It flowed like a movie script, and would make an interesting film.
Tracy Henry
Well written, engrossing, visceral, and just an all around damn good book.
Shell Shearer Swinscoe
amazing story had me gripped from the start.....loved it!!!
Jelinas
Everybody loves a good coming-of-age novel. There's something about reliving that time when you leave behind the innocence of youth behind that dredges up such nostalgia -- even if that coming of age involved some kind of traumatic experience.

Richie South is growing up in Limerick, Ireland, in the Eighties. He gets a fast-forward to manhood when he and his friends decide to investigate a neighborhood tragedy on their own. He also meets an older girl who teaches him the agony and ecstasy of first
Ann
I want to hug Mr. West for bringing me such a gem.
Then I want to punch him for making it too short (or so captivating that I tore through it too quickly.)

It has been a very long time since I have connected with (or despised) characters so fully. West paints pictures so vivid and scenarios so intricately that you won't be able to help your racing heart, held breath or audible scoffs.

And don't even TRY to anticipate where the book is going! You're outsmarted from the start.
Tyreke Smith
Tyreke Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Tktones
Tktones marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Elizz Correa
Elizz Correa marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Ana Lelis
Ana Lelis marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Laurine
Laurine marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Eimear
Eimear is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2015
Angi
Angi marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
UK Amazon Kindle ...: Ciarán West- Author of The Boys Of Summer 7 23 Aug 27, 2012 04:20PM
  • Just a Summer Romance
  • Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, Volume 3
  • The Embroidered Corpse (a Belinda Lawrence Mystery)
  • Dead Light District (A Sasha Jackson Mystery)
  • Doctor Who: Final Sacrifice (Doctor Who Graphic Novels: The Tenth Doctor - Tony Lee Series, #3)
  • This Won't Take But a Minute, Honey
  • The Art of Forgetting
  • Doctor Who: Tesseract (Doctor Who Graphic Novels: The Tenth Doctor - Tony Lee Series, #2)
  • Boo: The Life of the World's Cutest Dog
  • Focus - A Memoir
  • The Paparazzi Project
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • The Evil Beneath
  • Doctor Who: The Crawling Terror (New Series Adventures, #55)
  • FRY
  • Lantern in the Mist
  • Kept (Arielle Lockley, #1)
  • Mad About You
Ciarán West is Irish, and has lived in the United Kingdom for longer than he can care to remember. He writes about both of his homes with equal passion.

The Boys of Summer was his debut novel, followed by the dark urban thriller, Girl Afraid. Next up, the YA title, After London. After that, there will be a follow up to The Boys of Summer, Sweetness Follows. Also in the pipeline is the horror novel,
More about Ciarán West...

Songs of Summer (2 books)
  • Sweetness Follows