Start by marking “English Ivy (English Ivy #1)” as Want to Read:
English Ivy (English Ivy #1)

English Ivy (English Ivy #1)

On the eve of her 21st birthday, Ivy Bowden has much to anticipate. Engaged to be married to the man her father has chosen for her, Ivy dreams of a secure, contented future. But when she finds herself in the arms of her roguish neighbor, her world is thrown into complete disarray. Ivy must choose to submit to her family's choice, follow the leading of her willful heart—or ...more
Published March 20th 2007 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published February 11th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about English Ivy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about English Ivy

Darlene
Dec 06, 2011 Darlene rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I found myself desiring to pick it up at times I did not have the time to sit and read. I am looking forward to reading more of Ms. Palmer's books! Set in England, Ivy finds her self in a precarious situation as she must choose between the will of those in authority over her, her own will...or the will of the Father.

An excellent example of when we choose to follow the will of our Heavenly Father, He will often give us the desires of our heart.
Debbie
Oct 06, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"English Ivy" is a historical romance set in 1815 England. The romance was a "sweet" romance, and the story mainly focused on the romance. Historical details were woven into the story, but there weren't a great deal of them--mostly setting, but some speech, manners, and clothing. The characters were engaging, and the main characters were earnest and wanted to do what was right.

It was obvious how the story would end, but Ivy was so innocent and willing to sacrifice for the good of others that I w
Donia
Jan 27, 2016 Donia rated it did not like it
First let me say that I was raised in a Christian home and went to Christian school but this is one of the dumbest books I have ever read. The main character Ivy consulted her God about every single thing she did. If she thought God told her to jump in a river and drown she would have done it. This book had more preaching in it than the bible. There was potential in the original plot that Palmer came up with but Palmer got lost when she climbed into her pulpit. She is clearly more interested in ...more
Kristy
I think this book could have been shorter. It seemed to go on and on and on. The plot was well established in the beginning, and not until the VERY end did everything work itself out. It seemed a bit repetitive, because there was a constant review of Ivy's situation. She was torn between what she felt she should do, and what she felt her heart wanted her to do. Then she would decide to let it all go and give it to God and do God's will. Except, she never really did let it all go. She continued t ...more
Jolene
Aug 29, 2013 Jolene rated it liked it
Well, to be honest, this is a read I will not be thinking about in five minutes, let alone a week from now. That being said, it is a quick, light read and entertaining in its way. I would not exactly actively recommend this book to someone (because, again, I will have forgotten it shortly after completing this review), but I can see its charm and I had that "pleasant diversion" reading experience that hovers rather mysteriously between "waste of time" and "what a fun book." I already have copies ...more
Sheri Salatin
Feb 20, 2009 Sheri Salatin rated it really liked it
Promised to one...
Betrothed to another...
Swept away by the one man she can never have...

Ivy Bowden is the oldest daughter of 4 girls. Or at least that is what she was led to believe her whole life. When she finds herself in the arms of a stranger, her life and world as she knows it changes. She is then faced with unbelievable decisions and the consequences of her choice will not only effect her, but the very life of her family.

Will she follow the choice of her family, her heart, her stubborn nat
Massanutten Regional Library
Rebecca, North River patron, June 2015, 4 stars:

English Ivy is about a young lady approaching her 21st birthday. It seems that her future is all set - she is betrothed to a man she does not care for. When the shocking news comes that Ivy is actually an heiress - and she can only inherit her money if she marries a certain charming, handsome playboy - Ivy's life is turned upside down. Will she turn down her inheritance to marry the man she truly loves? A good Christian, historical fiction book.
Melissa Linn
Dec 06, 2015 Melissa Linn rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book & am so glad I found it when I did! I was in such a book rut, nothing could spark my interest enough to keep reading after the first few chapters. English Ivy was the perfect book to pique my curiosity enough to see how the end turned out! I really enjoy the story telling of Catherine Palmer, the history she adds, the small details of what daily life was like in this time. Such an wonderful tale of love & hope & courage. :)
April Suter
Jul 06, 2011 April Suter rated it liked it
Ivy finds out in 1815 Yorkshire, England that she has roots in India, a new handsome neighbor, that she is promised to marry an angry man, a family anxious about change, and the specific requirements of a will--right before her 21st birthday. She wants to follow the will of God, but which way is it?
308 pg
Alice
Oct 10, 2016 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, regency
Oh how I adore Catherine Palmer. Her novels always have so much heart and soul in them. Great (real-feeling) characters, unique and page-turning plots, and inspiring spiritual themes that are woven naturally into the story, and never fail to encourage me, and -of course- a sweet romance that actually has depth and foundation and not just fluff and cupcakes.
Definitely a favourite.
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 Tracy rated it liked it
A simple, clean Christian romance. As another reviewer said, it was reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice, with four daughters during the Regency era. I really liked the story line, though I thought all of the characters talked a little too grandly.
Mandy
Jan 03, 2010 Mandy rated it it was amazing
This Book was my very first of Catherine Palmer's. Its a great love story for anyone who is looking for a romance novel. Its very well written and is worth your time reading. Enjoy!
Brett
Love story christan fiction really isn't my genre, I am trying to read all of the books on my self and this was one of the few I had not read. I thought it was okay.
Carolyn
Very interesting plot, fine characterizations. Romance novel language and Christian themes. Placed in Otley Yorkshire England as are several in the series.
Allyssa
Jul 31, 2011 Allyssa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any girl in 6th grade and up
Recommended to Allyssa by: a friend
Amazing Christian-romance book!
Karen
Mar 29, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
Kind of a juvenile silly book in some ways
Mackenzie
Jan 03, 2011 Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: related-books
Book 1 of 3
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2012
Haley
Haley rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Rose_sweet
Rose_sweet rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Zarah
Jul 12, 2012 Zarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was like reading a monotone love story.
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2010
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2009
Julie Coon
Julie Coon rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2010
Shantelle
Shantelle rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Molly
Molly rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2011
Ivy Allen-Sisler
Ivy Allen-Sisler rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Janis Hunley
Janis Hunley rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Susan Kasza
Susan Kasza rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
umm okay looks like a good one!!! 2 11 May 14, 2013 12:00PM
  • Written on Silk (The Silk House, #2)
  • The Plainsman (Men of the Saddle #4)
  • Hearts Aglow (Striking a Match, #2)
  • The Pursuit (The English Garden, #4)
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
  • Love's First Light
  • The Redemption (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #1)
  • The Carousel Painter

Catherine Palmer lives in Atlanta with her husband, Tim, where they serve as missionaries in a refugee community. They have two grown sons. Cathy is a graduate of Southwest Baptist University and holds a master's degree in English from Baylor University. Her first book was published in 1988. Since then she has
More about Catherine Palmer...

English Ivy (4 books)
  • Wild Heather (English Ivy, #2)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • A Victorian Rose