Out of True

Out of True

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The poems in "Out of True" flow through the stories of life and love, deep feeling and light perspective, all with a foundation in the elemental core of the human spirit.
Published August 1st 2012 by Luna Station Press (first published July 30th 2012)

sj
I wouldn't consider myself to normally be a poetry person. I think much of it has to do with the fact that I had many friends in my youth (well, "many" may be overstating the case, as I never have had what one would consider "many friends," but many OF the friends I had) who would mention that they wrote poetry when introducing themselves to people. I even remember one asshole asking upon meeting me (when I was at a coffee shop with said pretentious friends) "And what do you do?"

"Um...I read an...more
Serena
Out of True by Amy Durant, blogger at Lucy’s Football, has a poignant dedication in the front: “To everyone who doesn’t quite fit: You do. You will. Keep going. You’re almost there.” And in many ways, this dedication sets the tone for the collection. There are a number of poems in the collection that talk about love and loss, but there also are those poems heavily focused on things and people that are just out of reach as the narrator continues to strive for the ultimate goal.

Durant has a frank...more
Lynette Aspey

What to say ... well, I was awarded this book via my very awesome bookclub, The Geek Girls, and I was so thrilled to actually win something-- for once -- that I opened the file on my kindle expecting a novel and discovered a book of poetry (insert internal groan here). C'mon, I thought, POETRY? Now? My life did not call for poetry, it wanted wonder, escapism, cool imagery, language that twanged my soul-strings and yes, betrayal, lust ... romance ... ahhh. I needed a "break" not "poetry".

So I lef...more
Kate Sherrod
"I will spin stories that make your past disappear."

As someone who is known for having hitched her poetic wagon to formal poetry's star, I am not a fan of free verse, as a rule. It's a form -- or lack thereof -- that tempts too many pretentious yobboes to regard their half-baked lyricism as Art that Must Be Taken Seriously and to rely on half-baked surrealism to stand in for imagery. You know the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

There are poets, though, who I think do free verse well. T.S. Eliot...more
Katy
Mar 08, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of poetry
Recommended to Katy by: Insatiable Booksluts
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Poetry
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: those who like poetry
Trigger Warnings: Domestic violence

My Thoughts: Poetry is a highly subjective read, and thus very hard to rate. This is freestyle poetry, which is the kind I also tend to prefer to write, so I can't rate on rhyme and meter or any of the sorts of technical details that more structured poetry would require. The only technical merit upon which I can judge this book is editing, and that is well-done.

The poems themselve...more
C. Vescio
My second poetry book in as many months... my old Lit teachers would be proud of me... but this isn't about me this is about a book of poetry that- for lack of a better phrase- kicks some major ass.

I'm used to Amy Durant as a more whimsical writer- so this floored me a bit (in a good way). To have such a range as a writer is something I love to see.

I would recommend this book to anyone- even if poetry isn't your thing, you might be surprised. Amy shows a fierce talent for prose and a sharp way w...more
Sara Habein
Despite a tendency to try and tie too neat of a bow on some of the poems' endings, I really enjoyed this collection about a life knocked off-kilter by love.

(My full review appears on Glorified Love Letters.)
I wrote up a review at my site, The Two R's!

Lori
From author/ Signed
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Unloquacious
Unloquacious marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Sean Diaz
Sean Diaz marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Ariel Renfro
Ariel Renfro marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Francel Anne Julian
Francel Anne Julian marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Ghofran
Ghofran marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Erulissë
Erulissë marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
KB
KB marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Cara Belt
Cara Belt marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Taymara Jagmohan
Taymara Jagmohan marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I live on the internet and I write a lot.

I like chocolate and animals and intelligence and punctuation. As one does.

My book review blog is http://burningthebridges.wordpress.com/ - follow me there for all things bookish and literary and such, if you're so inclined.

It seems to have become a thing for people to contact me to review their books. Please stop it. I'm not interested. If I wanted to rev...more
More about Amy Durant...