Treason (The Grimoire Saga, #2)

Treason (The Grimoire Saga #2)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  332 ratings  ·  99 reviews
Kara Magari ignited a war when she stumbled into Ourea and found the Grimoire: a powerful artifact filled with secrets. To protect the one person she has left, she strikes a deal that goes against everything she believes in. But things don’t go as planned.

ebook, 1st, 430 pages
Published October 27th 2012 by Caffeinated Books Publishing (first published October 9th 2012)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Very Favorite Books
267th out of 563 books — 435 voters
Bare Assets by M.L. StephensBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEscaping Reality by Lisa Renee JonesDuncan by Teresa GabelmanBared to You by Sylvia Day
OMC's Top Books of August 2013
170th out of 311 books — 531 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Zimmermann
*This is a review of an ARC copy of Treason

I don’t think I’ve had as great of a reaction to any book as I have this one; well not since I read The Grimoire: Lichgates back in February. S.M. Boyce comes back with book two of the Grimoire trilogy, and comes back STRONG! I honestly didn’t think Lichgates could be topped on my all-time favorites list. Treason surpassed it with flying colors.

For those readers who have read Lichgates already, they know how talented Boyce is in creating the world of Ou...more
Melissa
How the muffins did S.M. Boyce come out with Ourea? Seriously, I can't contain myself from gushing how incredibly amazing this place is. It feels so vividly real, but more than that, you can sense the history and greatness of this world. Every single detail of this place, like the creatures, the landscapes, the Bloods of each Yakona race and the Vagabond is what makes it so utterly fantastic.

The first book in the Grimoire Trilogy was a fascinating introduction to the story, but I must admit that...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review posted at Ja čitam, a ti? where you can also win an ebook copy of both Lichgates and Treason.

Considering that I'd discovered Lichgates by accident my love for this series has been even more special. I had high expectations of Treason and I couldn't wait to read it. Well you can only imagine how happy I was with this book.

Being back in Ourea was special. Seeing the world and its magic again made me so happy. It was painful to wait all this time to see what would happen with Kara and Braed...more
Nikki Jefford
I got so lost in Treason I didn’t see the time going by. When I first heard Treason was 140,000 words I was afraid it would be too long, but in the end I was completely sucked into the story. Treason is the kind of tale that makes the world around me disappear. In a word: My favorite kind.

The conflict rolls off the pages continually and the humor was simply fantastic. I found myself alternating between fits of rage and laughter as I read.

Personally, I loved this book heaps more than the first on...more
Whitney
Everything about this second installment of the Grimoire series is better than the first. The characters are maturing. Ourea feels darker and more alive. The twists and turns in the plot are phenomenal. And the action? So much action!

I said in my review for the first book in the series, I’ve never really been a fan of the fantasy genre. That has changed thanks to Boyce’s wonderful craftsmanship. I feel like that is a great accomplishment, crossing genre boundaries to entertain many audiences. T...more
Noree Cosper
I have to say I liked Treason more than I liked Lichgates. While Lichgates had the wonder and discovery of a new world, Treason takes you deeper into the machinations of the Yakona kingdoms. It has a much darker feel, which I love.

You pick up with Kara and Braeden as Kara continues to try to unite the kingdoms and bring peace to Ourea. Unfortunately, everyone else has other plans and most involve using her.

Kara and Braeden's relationship really develops in this and what would The Grimoire Trilog...more
Kayleigh Grian
*Disclaimer: I did receive a free ARC to review, however this did not influence the review in any way.*

In Treason, book #2 of the Grimoire trilogy by S.M. Boyce, we once again delve into the magical world of Ourea. Everyone Kara Magari loves ends up dead, so the more she feels for Braeden the more she pushes him away, which frustrates him to no end. Braeden on the other hand believes he’s a dead man walking anyway so it doesn't matter how hard Kara pushes he intends to change her mind. Until all...more
Dianne
I’m hooked, completely! I read S. M. Boyce’s first Grimoire Saga book, Lichgates a while back, made a note to read more, and well, let’s just say FINALLY, I can say, WOW, book 2 in the series, Treason went above and beyond in the “Leave me alone, I’m reading” department! Again I was thrust into Kara’s new world, and again, I was in awe of the non-stop action, the tension, the characters, their world, but most of all, I was impressed with the creative genius of the author and her ability to bring...more
Faith
This review is spoiler-safe, until the link to read the spoilers. So you are safe to read and enjoy!

”Kara Magari ignited a war when she stumbled into Ourea and found the Grimoire: a powerful artifact filled with secrets. To protect Braeden, the one person she has left, she strikes a deal that goes against everything she believes in. But things don’t go as planned.

Braeden Drakonin can no longer run from who—and what—he is. He has to face the facts. He’s a prince. He’s a murderer. He’s a wanted
Taylor
All I can say is that S.M Boyce has an amazing talent, this book was the most amazing book I have ever read. You can certainly tell that she has spent many, many hours thinking of this story, and has spent a great about planning it, and all the pieces fall together exactly as they should. Lichgates and Treason had me on edge till the very last page. The magical world of Ourea is so well written that you have a detailed image in your mind of what it might look like. Ourea is beautiful and dark, a...more
Kari
OMG!! How does Boyce do it? This book is on par with Book 1 of the Grimoire saga, Lichgate, if not even better. I absolutly adore her style of writing going from one viewpoint to another's viewpoint seamlessly. One paragraph it is about how Kara is feeling and the next it is Braeden or Stone or Gavin or someone else. The action and twists keep coming and never let up until the very last page leaving me wanting the next book like now!

The beginning chapter is a bit strange with Kara and Braeden p...more
Elizabeth
Hallelujah! A Book 2 that wasn't a let-down from it's predecessor! Treason, for me, completely solidified my interest in Ourea and my faith in Boyce as a writer. My review of Lichgates mentioned some hesitations at first in falling in love with the book, but that I'd mostly gotten over them by the time I finished. Treason eliminated any remaining doubts I'd had. The characters this time around were even richer, and the plot got more complex without the feeling that gratuitous twists were being a...more
Rashika (is busy trying to graduate)
I requested this book earlier this year but it took me a while to get around to it, mostly because of my ADD and huge reading-list. When I did get around to it, I was disappointed. Treason just didn’t impress me as much as Lichgates did.

I shared a love/hate relationship with the main characters in the book. There were times when they fell completely flat and times when they took such a huge leap in character development.

I am going to start off with our Stelian Prince. His real identity came out...more
Carolyn Tepe
WOW! I'm not sure what else to say. Where have these books been? And why has no one been publicizing them like crazy?. I read so much anymore as a member of NetGallery, that it isn't often that a book grabs me and makes me want to read, read, read, read. This book definitely did that. I finished Linchgates and just had to know more so I bought the second book and now I'm counting the days until the third book comes out and then I guess I'll wait another year and wait for the fourth book to come...more
Danielle Forrest
One word. Wow.

I truly enjoyed the first book. I was really looking forward to reading the second. Don't think of this as a continuation or a sequel. This book stands on its own merit. I can't count the amount of times I laughed or smiled, gritted my teeth or ground my knuckles, put off eating or using the bathroom because I needed to get to the next scene, needed to find out what would happen next, needed to know if everything was going to be alright. I found myself stressed over Kara's conflict...more
Megan
This book was so good! I read this over the holidays so it took me a little longer then I would have liked because well… family and stuff you know? But I finally was able to sit down and devout some time to it on New Years day and well I was so happy I finally got the chance to read it uninterrupted.

The last book was good, but it left me wanting a little bit more. Maybe it was because I am used to more of a ‘romantic’ edge to my books, so I was really excited about where I thought this book mig...more
Wrinklegus PoisonTongue
The Grimoire: Treason (My review)

I have nothing but praise for S.M. Boyce’s latest, Treason, the second installment of her Grimoire series. (Take note that I used the word “series” and not “trilogy,” as I’m almost certain she’ll be forced to expand it further than just three books...there’s too much story left to tell! Perhaps I just know that because I’m a writer, but mark my words...the third book will not be the end.) From start to finish, I had nothing but fun. However, it’s not the fact tha...more
Kayla Curry
S.M. Boyce's Treason is a great follow up to Lichgates. The characters are developed even more, the story is fleshed out just right, and the pace is perfect.

There are books that you love reading and then there are books that grab you, pull you in and don't let go til you get to the end. This book was definitely the kind to pull you in and hold you captive, which ironically is how some of the main characters spent portions of the book.

The chemistry between Kara and Braeden is so wonderful. The bo...more
Hilary
Another incredible adventure by the amazingly talented S.M. Boyce. The story made me crave the need to read book 3 even more. I am now an even bigger Grimoire junkie. Book 1 was stunning, but book 2 was even better. I loved the continued relationship between Kara and Braeden, the new relationships formed with other characters such as the vagabond and Flick, the enchanting world that is Ourea...the entire novel is simply perfect. This series will be the new Bridge to Terabithia.

I was completely c...more
Christie Rich
Once again I found myself plummeting into the world of Ourea. Although I really enjoyed reading Lichgates, I loved Treason. In this installment we are past the set-up stage and right in the thick of the action and romance (hehe).

Kara and Braeden are back and stronger than ever. I loved the twists in the story and Boyce has an easy style that immerses the reader in the book. Ourea is a magical place, and this time around we get to see a bit more of it, especially the political underpinnings.

Kara...more
Rachel
I loved the first book of this series, but second book surpassed it by far. You'll learn more about our favorite characters. Learn some dark things about each of the bloods. At one point I was wondering who is worse the four bloods that have banded together or Carden? Also something that bothered me from the first book, is the Vagabond really suppose to be alone in life? There is so much more romance in this book, it makes you pray that even if it's short lived she chooses to ignore the first Va...more
Becky
WOW! What a super fantastic book this is. Fast paced and filled with fascinating story-lines. Wonderful details but not so much that it bogs. Kara and Braeden's story is such an interesting one filled with humor, love, sadness, happiness and action. There are plenty of unforeseen twists to this story too. It will definitely keep you engaged and reading through the night!
Can't wait for book three now. Thanks S.M. Boyce, you are a true storyteller!
Lori Palle
“You’re a hero, Kara. You don’t get to be happy.”—Twin

Braeden and Kara have faced enemies together and formed a bond both of them are afraid to admit. In a world where love is weakness and power is everything, they must decide how far they’re willing to go to save the same people that are determined to destroy them. Friends become foes and alliances crumble as Braeden and Kara fight for what they believe in. Neither will ever be the same…

“All I wanted was to unite you all. And I did. I just didn...more
Jena
This series is just amazing! Treason, the second installment just proves it. I absolutely love everything about the world and the plot lines. There's always new secrets to be discovered and new epic battles to be fought. The world building still amazes me and I love every adventure we get to witness.

So let's start with the characters that aren't the main two, like the original Vagabond (O.V.) and Gavin. I still don't trust the O.V. at all. There was something I didn't like about him in the first...more
Paulina
All that stuff I said about the first book having all these great fantasy elements but they didn't quite mesh in a way that was truly gripping?

Well, clearly, I just needed to read the second book for everything to come together in this brilliant, action-packed, thrilling adventure of a sequel.

I loved every moment of this, no part felt slow and the romance felt like a central part of the book without it taking away from any of the other elements or character dynamics.

Cannot wait for the next boo...more
Rachel McClellan
Kara, who is a vagabond dead set on uniting the different races, has been training hard with Braeden at her side. These two have an interesting relationship. They clearly want to be together, but a vagabond can’t be with anyone. The author did a great job keeping tension between them all the way through the book. Part of my fervor in reading this was wanting to know what would happen between these two.

The way the author described Ourea pretty much convinced me that the place actually exists. I’...more
Emerald Barnes
***Just ahead, slight spoilers if you haven't read Book One! But no spoilers for Book 2.***

Treason picks up where Lichgates leaves off. It still follows Braeden and Kara on their journey for peace in Ourea. But peace is hard to find when all of the Bloods (kings and queens) are fighting, lying, and trying to use the Vagabond, the greatest resource of power available in Ourea, for domination. They don't want peace.
They want power. But, Kara, she will not let anyone use her, so she fights back.

Mea...more
Ashley
I had a love/hate relationship with Kara & Braeden’s relationship in this book. At times it felt like Kara was just jerking Braden’s feelings around. She was hot and cold all throughout this book and just confused both Braeden and myself. I do realize she was just trying to protect him, but it got tiresome at some points.

You wouldn’t get close to me because you didn’t trust me to take care of myself. We’re both at fault here.

But with that being said I still love them together. They work wel...more
Daisey
I downloaded the Kindle edition of Lichgates because I happened across it for free, and it sounded like the kind of book I might enjoy. As I read, I found the the world of Ourea incredibly creative and not quite like any other fantasy I have read. I was quickly drawn into the story of Kara and Braeden. When I finished I knew I was going to buy the next book in the series.

I enjoyed Treason even more than Lichgates. I think the main reason is that a big part of reading the first book was spent wi...more
Thomas Winship
Anyone who’s already read my review of S.M. Boyce’s "Lichgates" is familiar with how much I loved that book. The opener to "The Grimoire Trilogy" blew me away and I impatiently awaited book two.

Well, I’m happy to say that Boyce is back. And in a big way! "Treason" picks up right where "Lichgates" left off and doesn’t miss a beat in dragging the reader back into the magical world of Ourea.

The majority of the cast of characters is the same—which makes sense, considering their tale is far from over...more
  • Silent Orchids (The Age of Alandria, Book 1)
  • I Am Forever (What Kills Me, #2)
  • Her Sweetest Downfall (Forever Girl, #1.5)
  • Shattered Silence (Ghostly Rhapsody, #2)
  • The Sin Collector (The Sin Collector, #1)
  • A Prescription for Delirium (Van Helsing Organization, #1)
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • Hyacinth (Svatura, #2)
  • Duplicity (Spellbound #2)
  • Attrition: the First Act of Penance (Three Acts of Penance, #1)
  • Fire in the Darkness (Darkness, #2)
  • Phoebe Pope and the Year of Four (Shapers, #1)
  • Keystone (Cornerstone, #2)
  • ONCE WE WERE KINGS
  • The Shadow and the Rose (Ash Grove Chronicles, #1)
  • Fallen (After Trilogy, #1)
  • See How She Runs (The Chronicles of Izzy, #1)
  • Before (Betwixt, #0.5)
S.M. Boyce is a fantasy and paranormal fiction novelist who also dabbles in contemporary fiction and comedy. She updates her blog a few times each week so that you have something to wake you up in the morning.

She also has a B.A. in Creative Writing which, naturally, qualifies her to be pompous and serve you french fries.
More about S.M. Boyce...
Lichgates (The Grimoire Saga, #1) Heritage (The Grimoire Saga, #3) Illusion (The Grimoire Saga, #4) Immortal Ink Publishing Sample Pack 2012

“We vegabons are a part of this now, and we have a chance to make things better. Maybe we can make the world a little brighter before we die. At least, that’s why I’m here. I’ve always wanted to make people smile. But for the first time in my life, I’m powerful enough to do more. I can help change things. You empowered us, Kara. Don’t give up. The rest of us need you to believe, or we’ll lose faith completely. We may have Grimoires too, but there is only one true Vegabond.” 3 likes
“I prefer the term 'resourceful twit.' - Kara” 1 likes