Start by marking “Treason (The Grimoire Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Treason (The Grimoire Saga, #2)

Treason (The Grimoire Saga #2)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  633 ratings  ·  127 reviews
Kara Magari ignited a war when she stumbled into Ourea and found the Grimoire: a powerful artifact filled with secrets. To protect the one person she has left, she strikes a deal that compromises everything she believes in... and things don't go as planned.

Braeden Drakonin can no longer run from who--and what--he is. He has to face the facts. He's a prince. He's a murderer
ebook, 1st, 430 pages
Published October 27th 2012 (first published October 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treason

Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Thoughts to come...want to keep reading through the series
Robert Zimmermann
*This is a review of an ARC copy of Treason

I don’t think I’ve had as great of a reaction to any book as I have this one; well not since I read The Grimoire: Lichgates back in February. S.M. Boyce comes back with book two of the Grimoire trilogy, and comes back STRONG! I honestly didn’t think Lichgates could be topped on my all-time favorites list. Treason surpassed it with flying colors.

For those readers who have read Lichgates already, they know how talented Boyce is in creating the world of Ou
Melissa
How the muffins did S.M. Boyce come out with Ourea? Seriously, I can't contain myself from gushing how incredibly amazing this place is. It feels so vividly real, but more than that, you can sense the history and greatness of this world. Every single detail of this place, like the creatures, the landscapes, the Bloods of each Yakona race and the Vagabond is what makes it so utterly fantastic.

The first book in the Grimoire Trilogy was a fascinating introduction to the story, but I must admit that
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review posted at Ja čitam, a ti? where you can also win an ebook copy of both Lichgates and Treason.

Considering that I'd discovered Lichgates by accident my love for this series has been even more special. I had high expectations of Treason and I couldn't wait to read it. Well you can only imagine how happy I was with this book.

Being back in Ourea was special. Seeing the world and its magic again made me so happy. It was painful to wait all this time to see what would happen with Kara and Braed
Noree Cosper
I have to say I liked Treason more than I liked Lichgates. While Lichgates had the wonder and discovery of a new world, Treason takes you deeper into the machinations of the Yakona kingdoms. It has a much darker feel, which I love.

You pick up with Kara and Braeden as Kara continues to try to unite the kingdoms and bring peace to Ourea. Unfortunately, everyone else has other plans and most involve using her.

Kara and Braeden's relationship really develops in this and what would The Grimoire Trilog
Kayleigh Grian
*Disclaimer: I did receive a free ARC to review, however this did not influence the review in any way.*

In Treason, book #2 of the Grimoire trilogy by S.M. Boyce, we once again delve into the magical world of Ourea. Everyone Kara Magari loves ends up dead, so the more she feels for Braeden the more she pushes him away, which frustrates him to no end. Braeden on the other hand believes he’s a dead man walking anyway so it doesn't matter how hard Kara pushes he intends to change her mind. Until all
Dianne
I’m hooked, completely! I read S. M. Boyce’s first Grimoire Saga book, Lichgates a while back, made a note to read more, and well, let’s just say FINALLY, I can say, WOW, book 2 in the series, Treason went above and beyond in the “Leave me alone, I’m reading” department! Again I was thrust into Kara’s new world, and again, I was in awe of the non-stop action, the tension, the characters, their world, but most of all, I was impressed with the creative genius of the author and her ability to bring ...more
Scarlet Drakonin
This review is spoiler-safe, until the link to read the spoilers. So you are safe to read and enjoy!

”Kara Magari ignited a war when she stumbled into Ourea and found the Grimoire: a powerful artifact filled with secrets. To protect Braeden, the one person she has left, she strikes a deal that goes against everything she believes in. But things don’t go as planned.

Braeden Drakonin can no longer run from who—and what—he is. He has to face the facts. He’s a prince. He’s a murderer. He’s a wanted
Nikki Jefford
I got so lost in Treason I didn’t see the time going by. When I first heard Treason was 140,000 words I was afraid it would be too long, but in the end I was completely sucked into the story. Treason is the kind of tale that makes the world around me disappear. In a word: My favorite kind.

The conflict rolls off the pages continually and the humor was simply fantastic. I found myself alternating between fits of rage and laughter as I read.

Personally, I loved this book heaps more than the first on
Whitney
Everything about this second installment of the Grimoire series is better than the first. The characters are maturing. Ourea feels darker and more alive. The twists and turns in the plot are phenomenal. And the action? So much action!

I said in my review for the first book in the series, I’ve never really been a fan of the fantasy genre. That has changed thanks to Boyce’s wonderful craftsmanship. I feel like that is a great accomplishment, crossing genre boundaries to entertain many audiences. T
Taylor
All I can say is that S.M Boyce has an amazing talent, this book was the most amazing book I have ever read. You can certainly tell that she has spent many, many hours thinking of this story, and has spent a great about planning it, and all the pieces fall together exactly as they should. Lichgates and Treason had me on edge till the very last page. The magical world of Ourea is so well written that you have a detailed image in your mind of what it might look like. Ourea is beautiful and dark, a ...more
Kari
OMG!! How does Boyce do it? This book is on par with Book 1 of the Grimoire saga, Lichgate, if not even better. I absolutly adore her style of writing going from one viewpoint to another's viewpoint seamlessly. One paragraph it is about how Kara is feeling and the next it is Braeden or Stone or Gavin or someone else. The action and twists keep coming and never let up until the very last page leaving me wanting the next book like now!

The beginning chapter is a bit strange with Kara and Braeden p
Elizabeth
Hallelujah! A Book 2 that wasn't a let-down from it's predecessor! Treason, for me, completely solidified my interest in Ourea and my faith in Boyce as a writer. My review of Lichgates mentioned some hesitations at first in falling in love with the book, but that I'd mostly gotten over them by the time I finished. Treason eliminated any remaining doubts I'd had. The characters this time around were even richer, and the plot got more complex without the feeling that gratuitous twists were being a ...more
Rashika (is tired)
I requested this book earlier this year but it took me a while to get around to it, mostly because of my ADD and huge reading-list. When I did get around to it, I was disappointed. Treason just didn’t impress me as much as Lichgates did.

I shared a love/hate relationship with the main characters in the book. There were times when they fell completely flat and times when they took such a huge leap in character development.

I am going to start off with our Stelian Prince. His real identity came out
Carolyn Tepe
WOW! I'm not sure what else to say. Where have these books been? And why has no one been publicizing them like crazy?. I read so much anymore as a member of NetGallery, that it isn't often that a book grabs me and makes me want to read, read, read, read. This book definitely did that. I finished Linchgates and just had to know more so I bought the second book and now I'm counting the days until the third book comes out and then I guess I'll wait another year and wait for the fourth book to come ...more
Danielle Forrest
One word. Wow.

I truly enjoyed the first book. I was really looking forward to reading the second. Don't think of this as a continuation or a sequel. This book stands on its own merit. I can't count the amount of times I laughed or smiled, gritted my teeth or ground my knuckles, put off eating or using the bathroom because I needed to get to the next scene, needed to find out what would happen next, needed to know if everything was going to be alright. I found myself stressed over Kara's conflict
Megan
This book was so good! I read this over the holidays so it took me a little longer then I would have liked because well… family and stuff you know? But I finally was able to sit down and devout some time to it on New Years day and well I was so happy I finally got the chance to read it uninterrupted.

The last book was good, but it left me wanting a little bit more. Maybe it was because I am used to more of a ‘romantic’ edge to my books, so I was really excited about where I thought this book mig
Wrinklegus PoisonTongue
The Grimoire: Treason (My review)

I have nothing but praise for S.M. Boyce’s latest, Treason, the second installment of her Grimoire series. (Take note that I used the word “series” and not “trilogy,” as I’m almost certain she’ll be forced to expand it further than just three books...there’s too much story left to tell! Perhaps I just know that because I’m a writer, but mark my words...the third book will not be the end.) From start to finish, I had nothing but fun. However, it’s not the fact tha
Kayla Curry
S.M. Boyce's Treason is a great follow up to Lichgates. The characters are developed even more, the story is fleshed out just right, and the pace is perfect.

There are books that you love reading and then there are books that grab you, pull you in and don't let go til you get to the end. This book was definitely the kind to pull you in and hold you captive, which ironically is how some of the main characters spent portions of the book.

The chemistry between Kara and Braeden is so wonderful. The bo
Hilary (HilyBee)
Another incredible adventure by the amazingly talented S.M. Boyce. The story made me crave the need to read book 3 even more. I am now an even bigger Grimoire junkie. Book 1 was stunning, but book 2 was even better. I loved the continued relationship between Kara and Braeden, the new relationships formed with other characters such as the vagabond and Flick, the enchanting world that is Ourea...the entire novel is simply perfect. This series will be the new Bridge to Terabithia.

I was completely c
Christie Rich
Once again I found myself plummeting into the world of Ourea. Although I really enjoyed reading Lichgates, I loved Treason. In this installment we are past the set-up stage and right in the thick of the action and romance (hehe).

Kara and Braeden are back and stronger than ever. I loved the twists in the story and Boyce has an easy style that immerses the reader in the book. Ourea is a magical place, and this time around we get to see a bit more of it, especially the political underpinnings.

Kara
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Kara Magari is The Current Vagabond in Ourea. She's spent the past several months training and learning what it means to be Vagabond with the help of Braeden Drakonin. Braeden is The Blood Heir of Stele and remains hidden in Hillsdian form for his own protection. The First Vagabond wants Kara to create Vagabond army but Kara is reluctant to do so. The Blood want to control Kara for their own gains. All of Ourea is waiting for war which will happen sooner or later despite Kara's efforts of peace. ...more
Rachel
I loved the first book of this series, but second book surpassed it by far. You'll learn more about our favorite characters. Learn some dark things about each of the bloods. At one point I was wondering who is worse the four bloods that have banded together or Carden? Also something that bothered me from the first book, is the Vagabond really suppose to be alone in life? There is so much more romance in this book, it makes you pray that even if it's short lived she chooses to ignore the first Va ...more
Becky
WOW! What a super fantastic book this is. Fast paced and filled with fascinating story-lines. Wonderful details but not so much that it bogs. Kara and Braeden's story is such an interesting one filled with humor, love, sadness, happiness and action. There are plenty of unforeseen twists to this story too. It will definitely keep you engaged and reading through the night!
Can't wait for book three now. Thanks S.M. Boyce, you are a true storyteller!
Gils
Not at all what I expected! A pleasant surprise that I simply could not put down!

Kara Magari's story continues in this second book of the Grimoire Saga. We learn many things about Kara's past and perhaps her future. Her purpose as the Vagabond is unwavering and admirable despite her sometimes wishy-washyness.

Braeden's story is just as important as Kara's. He comes into his own in this book and is forced to face what he is.

Together they can be an unstoppable force if they would just get out of
Lori Palle
“You’re a hero, Kara. You don’t get to be happy.”—Twin

Braeden and Kara have faced enemies together and formed a bond both of them are afraid to admit. In a world where love is weakness and power is everything, they must decide how far they’re willing to go to save the same people that are determined to destroy them. Friends become foes and alliances crumble as Braeden and Kara fight for what they believe in. Neither will ever be the same…

“All I wanted was to unite you all. And I did. I just didn
Hannah Whitaker
I want to start by saying I love this series and and thrilled that the fourth book is coming soon. I've already pre-ordered.
Why I gave it four stars...because there were some areas that lacked detail in the book, but there were so few that it didn't matter too much.
I thoroughly enjoy this story and the pictures painted by the author. I feel like it is such an original idea, and such a pure connection between Kara and Braeden.
I usually don't like it when an author keeps a love pair apart becau
Karen Cole
I enjoyed this second book in the saga more than the first (Lichgates), there is still plenty of world building but this time it didn't detract from the pace of the plot as much as I found previously. It is also a darker read which I prefer although there are a few points where it was so obvious something bad was going to happen I did question the rationale behind Kara and Braeden's decisions. The romance between the two finally makes some progress, I was beginning to feel frustrated with them b ...more
Jena
This series is just amazing! Treason, the second installment just proves it. I absolutely love everything about the world and the plot lines. There's always new secrets to be discovered and new epic battles to be fought. The world building still amazes me and I love every adventure we get to witness.

So let's start with the characters that aren't the main two, like the original Vagabond (O.V.) and Gavin. I still don't trust the O.V. at all. There was something I didn't like about him in the first
Bretagne
The world of Ourea is so fascinating, Boyce describes it so perfectly it seems as though I've walked into a lichgate myself and entered a place of shapeshifters, Bloodlines, and magic. The characters and their feelings are so real, I love how they are written as realistic as they are, I can relate to the emotional realness of their lives. (Even though I don't live in Ourea, sigh)
This second book of the series really captured my attention, I read it much too quickly, it was so good. I love how B
  • Phoebe Pope and the Year of Four (Shapers, #1)
  • The Sin Collector (The Sin Collector, #1)
  • Veiled Shadows (The Age of Alandria, #2)
  • Crimson Dahlia (Svatura, #3)
  • ЯED (True Reign, #2)
  • A Prescription for Delirium (Van Helsing Organization, #1)
  • Shattered Silence (Ghostly Rhapsody, #2)
  • The Forever Girl (The Forever Girl #1)
  • Broken (Ancients of Light, #3)
  • On Raven's Wings (Hell Bent/Heaven Sent #1)
  • Finding Meara (An Adven Realm Adventure, Vol. 1)
  • Body & Blood (The Survivors #3)
  • A Birthday Surprise (A Demon Paradise Novel, #1)
  • Before (Betwixt, #0.5)
  • Uninvited (South Hills Sidekicks, #1)
  • Blüd and Magick
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • Fissure (Chronicles of the Interred, #2)
I’m S. M. Boyce, a lifelong writer with a knack for discovering adventure and magic.
More about S.M. Boyce...

The Grimoire Saga (4 books)
  • Lichgates (The Grimoire Saga, #1)
  • Heritage (The Grimoire Saga, #3)
  • Illusion (The Grimoire Saga, #4)
Lichgates (The Grimoire Saga, #1) Heritage (The Grimoire Saga, #3) Illusion (The Grimoire Saga, #4) Grimoire Saga Box Set (The Grimoire Saga, #1-3) The Misanthrope: Stone’s Story (The Ourean Chronicles #1)

“Sometimes, impossible just means you have to try harder. -Kara” 5 likes
“We vegabons are a part of this now, and we have a chance to make things better. Maybe we can make the world a little brighter before we die. At least, that’s why I’m here. I’ve always wanted to make people smile. But for the first time in my life, I’m powerful enough to do more. I can help change things. You empowered us, Kara. Don’t give up. The rest of us need you to believe, or we’ll lose faith completely. We may have Grimoires too, but there is only one true Vegabond.” 3 likes