Start by marking “Pop Goes the Weasel” as Want to Read:
Pop Goes the Weasel

Pop Goes the Weasel (Pop Goes the Weasel #1)

Patrick Weasley, aka Weasel, is a fun-loving college student with a wealthy homophobic jerk stepfather and a best friend, Jake Winston, who's just as gay as Weasel. When Jake's aunt dies, many from the publishing world-including Jasper, Weasel's weasel of a stepfather-gather at Winston Manor for the reading of the will, and Weasel is obligated to tag along.

Turns out all he
Published August 10th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pop Goes the Weasel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pop Goes the Weasel

Deeze
I’ve read some fun books before, most tend to have some element of angst to counter the laughs, but this book is one long chuckle fest.

Weasel is just one of those guys that attracts trouble like moths flock to the light. He is wonderfully witty and endearingly loyal.

The list of characters all play their parts to perfection, it would be impossible to single anyone out. Although Kendrick probably gave me the biggest laugh, while Jeffrey caused me a shudder or two.

I’m happy to say there was no lon
Ami
Jul 21, 2012 Ami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-contemporary

There are your bad kissers. Case in point: Tyler Kendrick. My mouth thought it was being attacked by a squid. Big, freaky tongue forcing its way into my mouth like the villain in a Western movie coming through the saloon doors with a swagger. Too much saliva, and in all the wrong places.

Stephen Osborne (along with John Goode) is one of the DSP authors I like due to his humorous voice. This latest novel from him is not a romance, although there is a love interest. I prefer to think of it
Chris
Aug 11, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, done, ebook, 2012
2.75 stars. Ok m/m story about a college student who manages to get himself into scads of over-the-top trouble pretty much all the time. While I do enjoy some madcap m/m romances, such as those by L.B. Gregg, this just felt as if the author was trying too hard.
Monika

2.5 Stars

Hmmm...what can I say about this book? It started out with promise but unfortunately somewhere around the 30% mark it lost my interest and I don’t really know why. I was hoping for a book that would have me laughing until the end instead it gave me a few chuckles and a couple of smirks. I think I’ll just have to say, sadly this book just didn’t do it for me.
Anke
Nov 01, 2012 Anke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fact that I read this book in more or less one sitting shows how much liked it. I liked Weasel's voice very much and all that happened to him had me laughing out loud several times. As with the other book that I read by this author 'Wrestling with Jesus' here it happened again that at some point the humor got too much for me. For example the whole scene in the tower chamber was too over the top. And I also had a bit of a problem with the development of the relationship between Tony and Wease ...more
Kayla Jameth
Apr 10, 2014 Kayla Jameth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
4.5 stars rounded up, because who wants to be gypped?
This was a fun story. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel Rat Bastard.
Weasel is one of those people who things just happen to. Good things, strange things, and funny things...
I cracked up several times and was hoping my coworkers wouldn't want to know why I found it funny when Weasel got mistaken for his nonexistent female cousin.
Janice
Nov 04, 2012 Janice rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable romp reminiscent of the screwball comedies of the 1930's.
Dan
Sep 13, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was laugh out loud funny...
Loved it.
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Weasel is dragged to a country house by not only his best friend Cap, but also his step-father (who for forever more shall be referred to as stepmonster) to do favors for them. While at the house he is drawn (manipulated) into more shenanigans by Cap’s uncle. But Weasel meets Tony, a servant, who he is interested in getting to know better, but, with Weasel’s luck, a category of errors and misunderstandings occ
M
In a word, this book is facetious. That's not necessarily a bad thing; I think this book was meant to be glib and funny. I even laughed out loud a couple of times. But at the same time, I found it weirdly pretentious. It's a kind of comedy of errors, with a hapless hero getting up to all sorts of comedic mischief and it might have made for a very entertaining light read. My major problem with this book is that it's set in the 21st century, but written in the style of something decidedly more 190 ...more
Meggie
Aug 18, 2012 Meggie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I find this story rather idiotic. I can't laugh about elements of childish behaviour. And this book is full of childish, idiotic elements. I have to admit to not liking Patrick Weasley, aka Weasel. Okay he wasn't so bad, more of a force of bad karma, but his behaviour is stupid. And then his best friend Jake, what a character....weak and boring. This is not a story for a serious enjoyment, because it's weak and it doesn't change anything in Weasley life.
Melyna
Mar 08, 2015 Melyna rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I am not sure where to start. This was the most over the top comedic book I have read in a long time. I have read laugh out loud funny before but not with this particular delivery, it’s almost slapstick, not to say that is a bad thing. It had me laughing quite a bit.

To read the full review:

A.B. Gayle
Apr 05, 2014 A.B. Gayle rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this amusing tale of if something could go wrong it did. Not to be taken too seriously, the tale owes a lot to British farces from the last century.
Scott
Jun 16, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
Lots of fun a la P.G. Wodehouse. thoroughly enjoyable on this dreary day.
Chris Weg
Jul 22, 2012 Chris Weg rated it it was amazing
This was soo funny. All the characters were really well done, and I absolutely loved Weasel.
BTina
The slapstick comedy was funny at first but soon it became boring.
Ulysses Dietz
Apr 20, 2014 Ulysses Dietz rated it liked it
Three stars, from me, means "good writer; good book; I liked it."

Stephen Osborne's "Pop Goes the Weasel" is fun. Quick witted and well written; fast paced and cleverly observed...it is a nod to the "bright young things" genre of the 1920s (like Wodehouse, et al).

Patrick Weasley is a feckless, spoiled gay party boy. He and his equally feckless friends get caught up in a country-house weekend that smacks of Philadelphia Story, but gayer and less glamorous (because no one, not even the rich, reall
Line
Jul 20, 2016 Line rated it it was ok
Meh. This book was just... Yeah.
It wasn't a bad book as such, I just thought that Weasel (Patrick) was quite annoying. And there was A LOT going on, which was too bad, since the details kind of bled together. Also when there are so many plots/subplots, I get confused, and the book reads as more unrealistic -IMO.
At the same time I thought the story of Weasel and Tony could have had more pages, I like me some romance, and there simply wasn't room for that, with all the other thefts/mistaken ident
Emilie
Aug 15, 2016 Emilie rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining. Weasel manages to get into all kinds of trouble and hijinks, and then tries to get himself out of trouble. There are some slapstick moments, but many guys enjoy slapstick, whether they're reading or watching a show. Weasel calls his stepfather the "stepmonster," and the man lives up (or down) to that nickname. However, Weasel plans his actions and then improvises when the plans meet his world's reality and go sideways.
Smch
Apr 05, 2016 Smch rated it really liked it
the idea was good and I really liked the story, it was fun but there were times like "really? whats wrong with these people?" Everyone in the story has something against Weasel and sometimes I couldn't stand Caps actitude.
Saskia
Apr 25, 2016 Saskia rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-contemporary
Funny and also kind of ridiculous. I would have preferred if there had been just a little more focus on the relationship (and maybe a somewhat longer time frame).
Larry Holshu
May 27, 2014 Larry Holshu rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Another great book. Definitely a great read. James Patterson is a very writer and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Great thriller.
Ian Dubaurrenfield
Jun 23, 2014 Ian Dubaurrenfield rated it it was ok
Amusing beginning, but the author tried for madcap and ended up with tedious. Pass, unless you truly have nothing better to do.
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Indigo
Indigo rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Stephen Osborne
Aug 14, 2012 Stephen Osborne rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
bazinga ~Lisa
bazinga ~Lisa rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2016
Nevynslash
Nevynslash rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2013
Sylvie
Sylvie rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Pop Goes the Weasel by Stephen Osborne 1 7 Apr 20, 2014 01:02PM
Dreamspinner Press: Pop Goes the Weasel by Stephen Osborne 1 9 Aug 10, 2012 09:40AM
  • Out of the Closet (The Closet, #1)
  • Melting the Ice Witch (The Dragon's Hoard, #4)
  • Witness
  • The British Devil
  • Go Tell It on the Mountains (Sugar Tree, #3)
  • A Matter of When
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
  • Countdown to Daddies
  • Changing Pitches
  • The Backpack
  • Down Under
  • The Best
  • Simple Men
  • It's Christmas Everywhere But Here
  • Breaking Faith (Breaking Faith, #1)
  • The Statue
  • Something for Santa
  • The Unforgiving Minute

Pop Goes the Weasel (2 books)
  • Rat Bastard

“It’s my spider, Jeffrey. He’s a tarantula.”
“Yes, he certainly seems to be.”
“He’s my pet.”
“Better you than me. I’m not overly fond of spiders. Too many
legs.”
“No,” Ernie said simply, “he’s got the right number.”
4 likes
“Sounds good. What sort of fun did you
have in mind?”
I rubbed my nose against his. “It’s kind of like putting together
toys on Christmas morning. You have to insert dowel rod A into slot B
until it fits firmly….”
“Oh, yes?”
“…and then you move things around until you break something
and make a big mess.”