Start by marking “On the Run: A Mafia Childhood” as Want to Read:
On the Run: A Mafia Childhood

On the Run: A Mafia Childhood

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  395 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Henry Hill's business partner, Jimmy Burke has whacked every person who could possibly implicate him in the infamous Lufthansa robbery at JFK airport. On his way to prison, lifelong ganster Henry is given two options: sleep with the fishes, or enter the FBI's Witness Protection Program. Unfortunately for Gregg and Gina, they're dragged along for the ride. Like nomads, they ...more
Published September 14th 2004 by Warner Books

To ask other readers questions about On the Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Run

Mollie
Aug 25, 2013 Mollie rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Henry Hill's children pretty much starting where the movie Goodfellas leaves off. Henry Hill is in the witness protection program along with his wife and children. This book relays what the 11 & 13 year old kids faced when their father turns rat on the Mafia family he was connected with his whole life.

Now I love GoodFellas. It has to be one of my all time favourite movies. But Henry Hill is an awful, awful person. you don't see it in the movie so much...the charisma of
Mark R.
May 15, 2013 Mark R. rated it really liked it
****1/2

I'd seen "GoodFellas" and read "Wiseguy", so I already knew Henry Hill, the famed mob informant, was a pretty lousy individual. But I didn't realize just what a piece of human excrement he was until I read this book by his children, Gregg and Gina Hill, who, at least when the book was published nine years ago, live in parts unknown, under assumed names.

At one time, the Hills were in the federal witness protection program, as shown towards the ends of the above mentioned film and book. But
Grace
Aug 15, 2009 Grace rated it really liked it
This is an interesting read. Gregg and Gina Hill tell their story of growing up as the children of Henry Hill, a Mafia associate, specifically after they are relocated as a part of the witness protection program.

Gregg and Gina do not dig too deep into the trauma and dysfunction, but they do dig up just enough that you can get the feeling that their lives were really really awful, especially when their father was home and wacked out on drugs. Their writing also has a childlike feel to it, like t
Chelsie
Feb 23, 2014 Chelsie rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelves
I couldn't put this book down, I felt so bad for the children and the life they were made to live. With each chapter came more selfishness from their father while their mother looked on as though that was a normal life style. This seems to be just the tip of the iceberg into the mafia world and the lives their poor families got dragged through. However I give huge props to the children for wanting to strive for a normal life and becoming better people and not following the footsteps of their fat ...more
Denise Toney
Aug 26, 2015 Denise Toney rated it it was amazing
Well done! I have always been fascinated with Henry Hill and the Mafia story....but this was a way different perspective...how incredibly sad for these kids...I cannot even imagine having to live that way! So glad that they have successfully made it out of that way....Gives me a whole new dimension to Henry....the portrayal of him being a glamorous mobster was not so true....he was a very troubled man, and I am so glad the kids overcame that.....
Diane
Apr 14, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it
After seeing Goodfellas for the nth time, and reading the Wiseguy Cookbook, I picked this up. It was so incredibly sad. The childhood Gregg and Gina had was horrific, however their version made a good balance to their father's 'rose-colored-glasses' and self-centered accounts. It is also a very good book for those working or involved with children of incarcerated parents. Let's face it, there are those within the penal system who are not looking for restorative justice or personal development. T ...more
Shelley
Oct 04, 2015 Shelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelley by: Faye Jarrett
Shelves: real-crime
This is an interesting read, and I read it in one weekend, and although I enjoyed it, it wasn’t totally immersed.

This is the story of Henry Hill’s children, Gina and Gregg. Henry wasn’t a big time mafia ganster, but after his a big heist the people involved start to ‘disappear’. Henry is convinced to rat on his connections, in exchange to have his record wiped clean and go into witness protection.

Gregg and Gina do not go into a lot of detail of the trauma they experienced; and in some respect
Medlibrarian
Jun 19, 2016 Medlibrarian rated it liked it
Many people are familiar with the story of Henry Hill, even if they just saw Goodfellas. Perhaps they've read the book on which that was based: Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi. But I don't think a lot of people know what happened to Hill after he entered into Witness Protection and I really doubt they are familiar with the story of his children.

Gregg and Gina Hill have a very different take on their father and on what it was like growing up in a connected household and indeed, in Witness Protection.
Brad Snavely
Feb 16, 2012 Brad Snavely rated it really liked it
It's been 3-4 years since I read this so I can't get in too much detail.

Goodfellas is probably my favorite movie of all time so I was pretty excited when I found out about this book. Anyone who has heard the real Henry Hill can see the guy is entertaining to listen to but is clearly an ahole.

The book told from separate perspectives of his two kids, Gregg and Gina Hill. You had Gregg who was almost constantly getting in huge fights with his father, then Gina who was always "Daddy's Princess" and
Stephanie
Aug 22, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographical
Publisher's Description:

"In the 1970s, Henry Hill pulled off heists and busted heads with the Mob. In the '80s, he became famous-as the antihero of the bestselling book Wiseguy and blockbuster movie Goodfellas. But there was one story he couldn't tell. Now his children, Gregg and Gina, tell it for him.

ON THE RUN is the extraordinary true account of what it's like to grow up in the federal witness protection program. Just as Gregg was celebrating his bar mitzvah and his sister, Gina, was buying
Stacy
Sep 17, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
When I read (and reviewed) Gangsters and Goodfellas by Henry Hill I found a man who thought very highly of himself and who liked to skip over details that he didn’t think were important. I decided to follow up that book with this one written by his children about their lives with their father and I am so glad I did. This is the story of two kids still in hiding from the Mob who have had their lives irrecoverably changed by their father and his choices.

Gregg and Gina spent their childhoods with p
Lee Anne
Jan 29, 2009 Lee Anne rated it really liked it
Everybody knows that Goodfellas is just about my favorite movie, I saw it in the theater 7 times (6 during its first release/dollar theater days, once at Studio 35), etc. So this book is like having a sequel to my favorite movie. Only instead of sexy, menacing Ray Liotta, Henry Hill plays himself, and as anyone who's heard him on Howard Stern knows, the real Henry Hill, while entertaining, is a scumbag.

I'd never really given much thought before to how much it would suck to be a kid in this worl
Nycdreamin
Nov 15, 2011 Nycdreamin rated it liked it
This book, written by the son (Gregg) and daughter (Gina) of infamous Mobster-turned-stoolie Henry Hill, makes a teriffic companion piece to the book "Gangsters and Goodfellas," penned by Henry Hill himself (as told to Gus Russo), which despite being a pretty good read itself, is no doubt a bit...uh..."creative" with it's truths. Here, in the pages of "On The Run - A Mafia Childhood," we hear the nothing-to-lose voices of two persons whose entire young lives were shaped and very nearly ruined by ...more
Anne Cook
Aug 18, 2015 Anne Cook rated it really liked it
Very sad but very real account from children of a self centered, drug and alcohol addled Mafia associate who had no regard for authority unless he was in grave danger. Amazing how he and family even survived it all. The mother almost as bad for staying with her violent husband and putting her children through all this when she could have had protection and a new safe and normal life.
Joan
Apr 18, 2014 Joan rated it really liked it
This was such a hard book to read as a parent. Henry was a street guy that degenerated further and further into an alcoholic and drug filled abyss. Karen may have been the more caring parent but ultimately was just as dysfunctional in her own way. Kudos to the kids who made their way out of the madness and into a better life.
Coriene Salinas
Jun 28, 2012 Coriene Salinas rated it liked it
I bought this as a clearance book for $2 because I thought it would be interesting to hear what it would be like to grow up in a mafia family. I started reading this a few weeks back and it was a bit hard to get into at first. I was disappointed that there wasn't much action, but it was written by Henry Hill's children and they weren't aware of all the "action". I was about halfway through the book when my husband informed me that Henry Hill had just died! I read the article in the newspaper whi ...more
Danm
May 01, 2015 Danm rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I have read this year. If you liked Goodfellas, then you will definitely enjoy this. And Goodfellas leaves out a lot of details. Since this is written by Henry Hill's kids, you get to see what happened from this inside. Recommended.
Julianne Johnston
All I can say is "wow"

This account by Henry Hills kids took my breath away. It was a fascinating read, interesting but heartbreaking at times. I will never watch the movie Goodfellas in quite the same way again.
Tyler Nals
May 19, 2015 Tyler Nals rated it it was amazing
A great read on what really went down. If you like mafia stories, you will enjoy this. Plus, this really happened. No Hollywood makeup.
Chrissy
Jul 13, 2012 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
This book is a biography from the 2 childred of Henry Hill (Goodfellas main character) who ratted out a bunch of his mob associates to avoid prison himself. The kids detail what life was life living in Long Island before going into Witness Protection and then once they were thrust into the program. They have a different story to tell than their dad, as they don't glorify being in the mob. They were victimes themselves and had to endure lots of pain and then be punished for the crimes their dad c ...more
Chris  Ahrendt
Jan 11, 2015 Chris Ahrendt rated it it was amazing
Great book! I didn't want to put it down!
Kelly
Jan 22, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies. It was interesting to see this side of that life. Very good.
Michelle
Sep 28, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Very good book!! This was written by the now grown children of Henry Hill, one of the famous "Goodfellas" men who was portrayed by the actor Ray Liotta. It gives a personal, in-depth look into the life of a historical period of time with the American Mafia. Lots of action, suspense, true crime, and ultimately heartbreak. Whether your into reading about true crime or the Mafia this book will be a great addition to your collection!
Amy Garbo
Jul 22, 2012 Amy Garbo rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love their father's story. Henry becomes a likeable guy stuck in a bad situation. This book shows how Henry's actions made the rest of his family's life a living hell. I'd always wondered what happened to the Hill's after Henry cooperated. Excellent perspective from his kids. I thought it was particularly interesting to see the evolution of Gina throughout the book.
Mark Stalcup
Jan 05, 2010 Mark Stalcup rated it it was ok
Another book for a buck at Dollar Tree, snagged during a long wait for a court trial I was counsel in. It's an interesting rebuttal to "Wiseguy" which formed the basis for "Goodfellas" (Decent book, better film) but overall, it struck me as cheesy.
Liz
May 21, 2011 Liz rated it liked it
Good read. Gave a much less glamorous depiction of Henry Hill's "Good Fellas" life. Would have loved to hear more about how both Gregg and Gina Hill were able to move past the mental trauma that they faced during their childhood.
Linda
Nov 06, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this in a charity shop and what a great find. I loved the film Goodfellas so I was interested to find out what happened to the Hill family. It was so gripping and a real page turner. It didn't take long to read it.
Jenn
May 10, 2013 Jenn rated it really liked it
Good book from the point of view of the kids who have no as to how they get live their lives. I felt really bad for these poor kids who had such a messed up disfunctual family life all because of their father.
Carmon
Jan 08, 2008 Carmon marked it as to-read
This seems like an interesting book - an inside look at the mafia, written by the children of Henry Hill (the guy from Goodfellas) after they entered the witness protection program.
Robin
May 05, 2013 Robin rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
A book club selection that I found somewhat interesting. How these people live is so different from the normal family. Okay so I didn't define "normal."
  • Boss of Bosses: The FBI and Paul Castellano
  • Mafia Cop
  • The Butcher: Anatomy of a Mafia Psychopath
  • Murder, Inc.: The Story Of The Syndicate
  • Unlocked: A Journey from Prison to Proust
  • Born to Steal: When the Mafia Hit Wall Street
  • The St. Valentine's Day Massacre: The Untold Story of the Gangland Bloodbath That Brought Down Al Capone
  • Gangsters and Goodfellas: Wiseguys . . . and Life on the Run
  • Mafia Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the Gambino Crime Family
  • The Last Gangster
  • Capone: The Man and the Era
  • For the Sins of My Father: A Mafia Killer, His Son, and the Legacy of a Mob Life
  • The First Family: Terror, Extortion, Revenge, Murder, and the Birth of the American Mafia
  • Little Man: Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life
  • All Around the Town
  • Capone: The Life and World of Al Capone
  • Murder Machine
  • Alphaville 1988: Crime, Punishment and the Battle for New York City's Lower East Side