A Game Of Lies (Hannah Vogel, #3)

A Game Of Lies (Hannah Vogel #3)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  59 reviews

Journalist Hannah Vogel returns in A Game of Lies by award-winning author Rebecca Cantrell

In preparation for the 1936 Berlin Olympics, the Nazis have rid the streets of anti-Semitic material and other propaganda, and present a peace-seeking face to the world. Journalist and part-time spy for the British, Hannah Vogel, shudders to think of whatlies under the temporary coat

Published June 5th 2011 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about A Game Of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Game Of Lies

Theresa
Jun 04, 2013 Theresa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Theresa by: Goodreads First Reads
I won A Game of Lies (Hannah Vogel, #3) by Rebecca Cantrell in a giveaway for free on Goodreads First/Reads, and I enjoyed it more than expected. This book had a few different elements mystery, romance, and suspense. I'm interested in catching up and continuing onto the other three books in this series. This was not a book I would normally pick up but I am glad I did. I would recommend this book as a good read it was fresh, fun, and a nice change.
Leighton Gage
When first we meet Hannah Vogel (in Rebecca Cantrell’s debut novel, A Trace of Smoke) she’s a criminal reporter, working in Berlin, during the dark days when the Nazis were coming to power in Germany.
Three years later, in A Night of Long Knives, Hannah returns to witness the humbling of the SA and the murder of their leader, Ernst Röhm.
And now she’s back, in the third installment of Ms. Cantrell’s outstanding series.
The book: A Game of Lies. The time: 1936. The backdrop: The most famous Olympic...more
Lorinda
I really enjoyed reading the 3rd book in the Hannah Vogel series. I hope there will be a 4th.
In this book, Hannah returns to Germany after leaving to live with her significant other and adopted son out of the country. She gets herself caught up in investigating a murder of a friend and of course, gets herself into trouble and danger.
I won't say much more, as I don't want to spoil anything in the book.

I really enjoy how Rebecca Cantrell writes and can't wait for another book to be written in th...more
Deborah Ledford
Rebecca Cantrell's latest Hannah Vogel release is every bit as hard-hitting, thrilling and full of surprises as the first two books in the series. The backdrop of the 1936 Berlin Olympics provides an angst-filled tale of intrigue, and at times terror, as Hannah does her best to yet again survive her quest in Berlin.

Dialogue between these fascinating characters propel the reader on a fast-paced journey of discovery and clues that seem impossible to be resolved, but this fine writer achieves the t...more
Angelina
A pretty average criminal story set during the 1936 Olympic games in Nazi Germany. Good for a quick beach read I guess but nothing more.
Andrew
The Hannah Vogel novels are predictable but fun: something bad will happen early on, and she will go to great lengths to solve the mystery and/or make things right. Usually there are some false leads and at least one near-fatal injury, but in the end it all works out. This time the setting is 1936 Berlin during the summer Olympics, which turn out to be difficult to cover using her false identity of Adelheid Zinsli.

I have the next book sitting here, waiting to be read, and I'll probably get to i...more
Judith Starkston
Hannah Vogel is back in Berlin, this time to report on the 1936 Olympic Games and do some spying for the British under cover as neutral Swiss reporter Adelheid Zinsli. She’s been working for the British for a few years, sneaking documents out from her contact and supposed lover, SS Hauptsturmführer Lars Lang. But those trips only brought her to Germany for brief weekends and kept her far from her journalist colleagues. Now she has to cover the hottest news item of the day for two weeks and someh...more
Cheryl A
Reporter Hannah Vogel fled Germany for Switzerland at the end of A Night of Long Knives, barely escaping with the lives of herself and her adopted son Anton. Now, as the Olympic Games are about to commence in Berlin, Hannah must travel back to Berlin under the alias of Adelheid Zinsli to cover the Games.

Leaving Anton in Switzerland with her former lover Boris, Hannah is posing as the fiance of SS Lars Lang, who Hannah has been working with to smuggle information to the British. At the opening of...more
Darcy
A big part of the appeal of this series is the setting for the books, WWII Germany as the Nazi's rise to power. So much of the book show how people adapt to the changes, how they feel forced into going along, and also shows those that fight quietly in the background, Hannah is one of the later.

Even though I like what she is doing, so many times she is TSTL. Anton depends on her, but she feels the need to do the right thing and is tormented in which is the right thing. I missed seeing Anton and...more
Marlyn

Hannah Vogel has been living in Switzerland with her adopted son Anton and her lover Boris, occasionally working as a reporter for a Swiss newspaper under the name of Adelheid Zinsli. She has also been acting as a courier, transporting documents out of Germany for quisling SS Officer Lars Lang.

This time, though, Adelheid has been asked to remain in Berlin for the entire two weeks of the Olympics, which could prove to be difficult as many of the local press would certainly recognize Hannah.

At the...more
Nikki
Hannah Vogel, crime reporter turned anti-Nazi spy, has been living fairly peacefully in Switzerland for most of the time since we last encountered her in Night of the Long Knives. That is, when she wasn't couriering film out of Nazi Germany, where her contact is a Gestapo officer. In A Game of Lies, Hannah, in her Swiss identity as Adelheid Zinsli, is in Berlin to report on the fencing in the 1936 Olympics. She's also spending a fortnight with her Gestapo contact, Lars Lang, and their cover stor...more
Rachel
Spuddie
Another A-plus effort in this third in the Hannah Vogel series set in mid-1930's Germany. Hannah has snuck back into Germany on a fake passport to cover the 1936 Olympic Games for the Swiss newspaper she works for, and while there, her longtime reporter friend Peter Weill is killed in front of Hannah's eyes, appearing to be the victim of some sort of fast-acting poison. Peter had just told her he had a package for her to pick up--and presumably smuggle out of Germany--when he dies, and she feels...more
Monica
I kept feeling, based on all the reviews, as though I should be liking this book better than I did, but it just was not to be. To begin with, about a third of the book is taken up with references to or explanations of, people and events from the other two books in the series. This kept getting in the way of the current plot, and it did NOT make me want to rush out and get her backlist.

Secondly, the characters,Hannah in particular, were pretty flat. I found her more annoying than appealing. Final...more
Laurie
While I loved the developing romance between Hannah and Lars, and especially the hysterical scene when Hannah is under the influence, there were just too many things to strain credulity in this story. As in The Night of Long Knives, Hannah can almost jump tall buildings despite severe physical injuries. Broken ribs? Who cares? Hit by a car and covered in blood? Just work through the pain. And if blood gets all over your only dress, it's not a problem if you are constantly carrying your only suit...more
MBP
Nancy
Hannah has returned to Berlin with a false identity reporting for a Swiss newspaper on the Olympics while she continues to spy for the British. While she is there she has arranged to meet with her mentor & friend Peter Weill who is "working on something" and he needs to relay the information so that it gets out of Germany. Things do not go as planned and as always Hannah is in danger that makes you want to scream, "get out now". Love Cantrell's mingling of historical people events and places...more
Lou
Nazi Germany just around the Olympics. Hannah Vogel spying for the Brits. Turns out the are lots of folks spying for the Brits. But which ones to trust? Guess wrong and you're dead.

I thought there would be more insight into what the Nazis did to hide their true ambitions from the world. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Oh well...

Otherwise quite an interesting story. It's amazing how Hannah was able to maintain her cover while searching for the killer of her mentor and the information he wanted...more
Ricky
The big plot twist comes way too late to really keep this novel in the four-star range. I hope Cantrell bounces back with book 4.
Carmen
Sep 05, 2011 Carmen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda
Third in the series, Hannah Vogel is back in Berlin. At the end of the last book, she had to flee to save her life. She returns incognito to "write for a Swiss newspaper about the Berliner Olympic Games, but really to gather information about the Nazi move to war. While there she risks her life, discovers some secrets, has to figure out whom to trust and whom not to,and succeeds.

The author is able to convey the atmosphere very well. It reminds me a bit of the people who were dancing while the T...more
Christine
The third book in the Hannah Vogel series lives up to expectations. It is well paced and exciting to read. Hannah returns to Germany to cover the Olympics, incognito as a Swiss national. She witnesses the murder of her friend and mentor and investigates what led to his murder.

Hannah is such a strong character. She stands up for injustice and out smarts those around her. I also love her developing relationship with Lars, the Nazi with a conscience.

I really recommend this series. It really brings...more
Ashley P
This book is probably my favourite in the series so far, with more mystery for me than the other two combined and a great deal more drama.

I devoured it completely and loved it. I love the way history is melded with fiction and I drank it down like it was the richest of drinks.

The drama is heart wrenching and the stakes are definitely higher. Hannah is one of my favourite female characters in fiction, because she makes mistakes and is not infallible but she is soon ready to admit it.
Michelle
This was the third book in a series and by far one of the best series I have read in a long time, I only hope this is not the last one. This book, like the previous two, grabs the reader from the first chapter. It is fast paced and carries a complex plot along with well-developed characters, even the minor ones. Please do not miss reading this series, however, one must start at the beginning with Trace of Smoke. I guarantee you will not be able to put any of the novels down.
Ann
As good as her previous two Hannah Vogel novels. It is suspenseful-- a "page-turner". Her portrait of Berlin and Germans during the 1930's Olympics is intriguing and informative. Her characters are colorful, the bad guys have many layers and the good ones have dark sides. She has done a great job of mixing real people and events with the fictional lives and experiences of her characters. I am looking forward to the next in this series.
james
I liked this book quite a lot as I had expected. All right, all right, I am a sucker for books on Germany before and during the Nazi horrors. The author did a fine job digging up detail about life in Berlin during the 1936 Summer Olympics. For example, few know that some of the events were televised! I have already placed A City of Broken Glass on my list of books to read. Great photo on the cover!
Sage Streck
Cantrell's first book, A Trace of Smoke, will always be my favorite, but this was another good installment in the Hannah Vogel series. I missed Boris, but Lars Lang was a good replacement character. I'm interested to see how that dynamic will play out! The book felt a little bit empty without Anton's presence, but hopefully, we'll see him again in the next story.
Lauri
This thriller/spy novel is set in Berlin during the 1936 Olympics. Although this is the third book in this series, I hadn't read the other two and still was able to follow the story easily. The author did a great job of describing the atmosphere of the time and developed not so perfect characters that were realistic and likeable at the same time.
Farin
I really need to collect my thoughts before I write any sort of review. Here are a few adjectives for now:
Brilliant
Suspenseful
Nerve-wracking
Historically rich
Absorbing to the point that I almost missed my train stop
Crazy character developments

The author has truly outdone herself this time. Waiting for the fourth installment is going to be torture.
Susan Shea
I love Cantrell's series. She's created an interesting voice for Hannah Vogel, one that has a bit of 'foreignness' to it that works very well to remind me I'm not in Kansas anymore. And the setting, Berlin as the Nazis grow in strength and the net begins to close around the Jews, is chilling, genuinely frightening. I recommend the whole series.
Mike Zinn
This series just rolls right along. I thought it might get old, but Hannah is a great lead character, and the other characters around her are all so well done that the books stay fresh. Not to mention the setting of Germany in the 1930s. I'm reading #4 right now and I'll be looking for #5 - hopefully next summer sometime.
  • City of Secrets
  • Second Violin (Inspector Troy, #6)
  • Rosa (Berlin Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sleepwalkers
  • Stettin Station (John Russell, #3)
  • Flight From Berlin
  • Blood of the Reich
  • The Quiet Twin
  • Field Gray (Bernard Gunther, #7)
  • The Summer of Long Knives
  • Blood Lance (Crispin Guest, #5)
  • A Marked Man (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #2)
  • The Camp
  • To Kingdom Come (Barker & Llewelyn, #2)
  • The Sands Of Sakkara
  • The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single German Town 1922-1945 (Social Studies: History of the World)
  • City of Shadows
A few years ago Rebecca Cantrell quit her job, sold her house, and moved to Hawaii to write a novel because, at seven, she decided that she would be a writer. Now she writes the award-winning Hannah Vogel mystery series set in Berlin in the 1930s. “A Trace of Smoke,” "A Night of Long Knives," "A Game of Lies," and "A City of Broken Glass." She also co-writes the Order of Sanguines series with Jame...more
More about Rebecca Cantrell...
A Trace of Smoke (Hannah Vogel, #1) A Night of Long Knives (Hannah Vogel, #2) A City of Broken Glass (Hannah Vogel, #4) The World Beneath (Joe Tesla, #1) On the Train