Beef Stolen-Off

Beef Stolen-Off (A Clueless Cook Mystery #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  34 reviews
As the food columnist for The Ranchero Globe, Jordan McAllister catches the eye of cattle baron Lucas Santana, who invites her to the Cattleman's Ball, hoping a positive review from the ball might boost the county's sagging beef sales.

To ensure Jordan enjoys herself, Santana sets her up with a prime cowboy companion for the event--Rusty Morales. Jordan's delighted to go w...more
Published July 2012 by Berkley

LORI CASWELL
Jordan McAllister is the food columnist for the Ranchero Globe even though she is a pretty clueless cook.

She may not know much about cuts of beef but Lucas Santana, cattle baron, thinks her column may help boost beef sales so he invites her to the Cattlemen's Ball. He even sets her up with a date for the evening. Unfortunately she doesn't get to know him very well. Shortly after the dinner starts he starts to sweat and have trouble breathing. She winds up at the emergency room where she finds he...more
Versel Rush
I had my calendar marked with the release date for the latest Jordan mystery by Liz Lipperman. I then spent all night of the 3rd (my job does not allow me to read mysteries during work hours--bummer) and most of July 4th reading. I believe it was even better than the first installment, "Liver Let Die".

I don't do synopsis--you can get that from the back of the book. And, unlike many series, you don't actually have to read the first one to enjoy this second book (but I do highly recommend you do)....more
Meg
Jordan McAllister is officially the culinary reporter for the Ranchero Globe! It’s still a far cry from being a sports reporter, but it’s a step up from writing the personals. When the local cattle baron, Lucas Santana, insists that Jordan cover the Cattleman’s Ball, she has no choice – his advertising at the Globe keeps the press printing. When her blind date (Santana’s right hand man) dies in Jordan’s arms at the ball – she’s thrown into yet another murder mystery – and much more personal than...more
Liz Lipperman
Jun 13, 2012 Liz Lipperman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, what do you expect me to rate this? I loved it!!
Lori McD
3.5+ stars

Not quite as good as the 1st book, but still loads of fun...

Jordan's caught up in trying to help promote the Texas Cattle Ranchers Association (TCRA) at their annual charity ball. Cattlemen are losing on the price of beef - folks just aren't buying it as often. And then there's the cattle rustling... Yep, modern day cowboys are rustling expensive Wagyu cattle and getting away with it.

Jordan's date to the charity ball is Rusty Morales - suave, dark, sexy - the cover of the GQ, Cowboy ed...more
Dale
Liz Lipperman has done it again, with her follow-up Clueless Cook mystery, "Beef Stolen-Off". This fun little romp details the exploits of female newspaperperson (and big sports buff) Jordan McAllister, who can't cook, and yet is roped into doing a culinary column for her newspaper, complete with recipes. For someone who revels in junk food, real recipes can be a burden. But she has help from a colorful cast of friends, who give her support and love and help in time of need.

As usual, Jordan run...more
Christine
Jordan McAllister has just been named the permanent food columnist for a small Ranchero, Texas newspaper, which isn't bad for someone whose culinary skills and fine dining experience are practically non-existent! Jordan hasn't given up on her dream of becoming a sportswriter. However, she is pleased to land this job, especially since she can count on help from good friends from her apartment complex to help with her Kitchen Kupboard column.

Jordan is given an assignment to attend a fancy charity...more
Yvonne
Jordan McAllister still can’t believe she was given the food columnist position at the Ranchero Globe newspaper. She knows nothing about food. Her goal is to be a sportswriter, but she’ll take what she can get for now.

Invited by a local cattle baron, Lucas Santana, to attend the Cattleman’s Ball, in the hope that she give it a good review, Jordan attends with Santana’s sexy cowboy foreman Rusty Morales. She is more than happy to attend with the handsome hunk since her own on again/off again boyf...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
One of the reasons I enjoyed this book so much was that the sleuth, Jordan McAllister, a food columnist for a local newspaper, goes to a location and takes us along. Ranchero, TX, is already new to me, but getting a chance to travel to the famous 'Cattleman's Ball' and feel the atmosphere is bathing us in glamour, then...death strikes. Startling and cold. You can literally feel Jordan's distress.

As Jordan tries to attend the Memorial, she begins to learn more questions about the death than answe...more
Fanficfan44
Beef Stolen-off is the second book in the Clueless Cook Series. I liked the first one enough to read this one. There is quite a complicated plot line involving a haunted lake house, cattle rustling, a stroke victim unable to communicate something vital, and a whole slew of cowboys and cattle ranchers along with the already established characters from Jordan’s apartment building and newspaper job. The mystery tied up neatly in the end and there was a reappearance of a love interest from the first...more
Vickie
I am drawn to books with catchy titles...probably part of why I dig on cozies and amateur sleuth mysteries so much. This is the first of this series I've read and drawn was I to the title. And the other titles in the series. I do love a good play on words.
And I love when the author adds in some of the recipes featured in the book. There's lasagna and 'nana puddin' recipes here....YUM and 'nuf said.....
Interesting mystery, good reason for the main character to get involved in the solving, cool s...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I probably would rate this one 3 1/2 stars, so it gets 4. It was a good, solid cozy mystery with lots of possible suspects and a not so obvious ending. All of the characters are likeable although I have to admit, none of them totally clicked with me (hence the 3 1/2 instead of 4 stars). I like Jordan and her cast of friends, the book just didn't suck me in the way 4 stars normally do. I really like the interaction between her and Alex, and sadly, in this book, there was very little of Alex, alth...more
Vicky
I muddled through this book, trying to find some redeeming quality. Nope. Not there. The "clueless cook" is totally clueless. She has a mind for rattlesnake lore and stroke victims but not enough sense for much else. Using "cooking" as the book medium is ridiculous. The recipes given have been around the world a dozen times. Jordan had to call her mother to learn how to make tea? Unfortunatly I have one more of hte clueless books to read. But I will read it. the only redeeming quality I like is...more
Susan
Clueless cooking columnist (she'd rather do sports) Jordan gets a visit from her brother, now working with a cattleman's association to track rustlers. What a coincidence: Jordan is writing beef-related columns to please a big advertiser, and he keeps inviting her to the ranch for lunch. In this milieu, she hears more about the rustlers. Her new friend Sandy is afraid that her inherited house is haunted, which is why Jordan is on hand when there's a double murder down the road. And that, in turn...more
Lenore
I didn't like this book at all. Jordan had too many friends to keep track of, and I didn't like any of them. She is awfully stupid - ignores flagrant clues and ends up in a pit with rattlesnakes. And what's with the recipes? Better than Sex cake, Watergate salad, and dirt cake? All of them are at least 20 years old. If that's part of being a Clueless Cook, I'm not impressed. The humor was heavy handed, and the rest of it was just plain boring. I won't be reading any more in this series - I'm not...more
Sandybear76
Jordan is back for another book in the series Clueless Cook Mystery. Jordan reviews restaurants and publishes recipes in the local paper but she can't cook. She gathers recipes from her friends who do cook. Jordan gets to go to the Cattlemen's Ball, where she meets some powerful men in the beef industry. But before the evening ends, her date dies. Her brother Danny comes for a stay while he investigates stolen cattle.
Amanda
Jordan has an incredible life (even if she sometimes wishes it had turned out somewhat differently).

She has an amazing job, brothers who would do anything to protect her, parents who adore her, her apartment 'family' who would risk everything for her, and Alex who is practically perfect.

I loved the way everything was wrapped up in the end, as heartbreaking as it was it gave everyone some clarity and closure.
Andrea Stoeckel
A wonderful second course in th Clueless Cook series, Jordan an her friends are back in a fun read about a serious topic: cattle rustling. Jordan still can't cook, is still addicted to Ho-Hos and her boyfriend as she settles more into her life in Ranchero TX. Circumstances bring her into the world of Texas Cattle Ranchers, with recipes and mysteries. Go for it Jordan, and may many more servings be in the works!
Kate
This series is really fun, and I this one in particular was great because it focused on steakhouses, cattle ranchers and the beef industry. It was very Texas and I loved that about it! I also liked the introduction of a new friend at work and Jordan's younger brother, who comes to visit. The next book is set on a cruise ship and I can't wait to set sail with Jordan and her band of kooky neighbors.
크리스티
This was definitely a quick read! I flew through this book because it was entertaining and I really enjoy the characters in the book. They each have such interesting quirks. The mystery in this one was a little more developed which kept me guessing after I thought I had it figured out. So more of a doh than an ah moment. Can't wait to pick up the next one!
Nancy Bradford
Even though I have not yet read the first book in this series I can see by this one that Ms. Lipperman has a great series. The characters are greatly formed yet there is room for more development. The story moves at a very good pace and keeps you interested. Can't wait for the next book.
Melodie
I really didn't care much for the first in this series, but this one was a huge improvement! Jordan wasn't annoying in this one and story just sucked me in right away. Too bad Rusty wasn't around a bit longer. Always a pleasure to read about a hot cowboy! LOL RECOMMEND!
Julia Wilson
Once again, it had all the things I love - food, barbeque,cowboys, ghosts, good friends, romance, and a tricky mystery. I probably should lay off the culinary mysteries while I am dieting; they are tempting me with goodies.
Nancy H
This is a really good mystery set in cattle-ranch country in Texas. It involves poisonings and a suspected cattle-rustling ring. Good plot, good characters, good story.
Jessica
Not bad but I liked the first one a lot more. There were just too many characters to keep track of. I hope the next one is better.
Marilyn
I received this book as a Goodreads ARC giveaway. It was an interesting storyline. I liked the characters. Good job! A fun read!
TheChuckster
I find it hilarious that Jordan writes a food column and can't cook to save her life. It was a good read
Chi Dubinski
A funny, fun mystery. Fans of Janet Evanovich should give this series a try.
Cynthia Rielley
Pretty good. I like the characters but the pacing is a little slow.
Janene
Cute series. Can't wait to see what the next one has in store.
  • Die Job
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #1)
  • Reap What You Sew (A Southern Sewing Circle, #6)
  • Cake on a Hot Tin Roof (A Piece of Cake Mystery #2)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • Going Organic Can Kill You (A Blossom Valley Mystery #1)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
  • Buried in a Book (Novel Idea, #1)
  • Hot Button (Button Box Mystery, #2)
  • Murder for Choir (Glee Club, #1)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • A Killer Read (An Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery #3)
She writes under the names Liz Lipperman (Cozy Mysteries) and Lizbeth Lipperman (Mainstream Mystery/Suspense and Romantic Suspense.)
More about Liz Lipperman...
Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1) Murder for the Halibut (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #3) Mortal Deception Chicken Caccia-Killer (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #4) Shattered