Start by marking “Secrets of a Runaway Bride (Secret Brides, #2)” as Want to Read:
Secrets of a Runaway Bride (Secret Brides, #2)

Secrets of a Runaway Bride (Secret Brides #2)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  599 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
The Thrill Of Escape

Miss Annie Andrews is finally free to marry the man she loves. With her overprotective sister out of the country on her honeymoon, nothing can prevent her flight to Gretna Green—nothing, that is, but an abduction by the wrong gentleman.

The Sweetness Of Surrender

When Jordan Holloway, the Earl of Ashbourne, promised to look after his best friend's sister-
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published March 26th 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Runaway Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of a Runaway Bride

One Good Earl Deserves a Lover by Sarah MacLeanLord of Darkness by Elizabeth HoytAny Duchess Will Do by Tessa DareHighlander Most Wanted by Maya BanksOnce Upon a Tower by Eloisa James
2013 Historical Romance (January - June)
34th out of 152 books — 575 voters
A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytThe Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
2012 Historical Romance Novels
221st out of 264 books — 674 voters

More lists with this book...

Valerie Bowman
Aug 31, 2014 Valerie Bowman added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Don't tell anyone but Jordan is my boyfriend. :)
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Originally posted on What I'm Reading

Oh I'm super excited about this book. So, I started this book on Monday and I couldn't put it down. Even though I had other books waiting for my attention, and other things to do. However, if I could have, I probably would have finish Secrets of a Runaway Bride by Valerie Bowman in one day. So, let's get started with this fantastic can't stop read.

We first meet Annie Andrews in Secrets of a Wedding Night and basically makes a spectacle of herself chasing Mr.
Caz
I've given this a C- at AAR, so that's 2.5 stars here.

This started out as an enjoyable although predictable read, which I had the feeling would be a B-ish grade by the time I’d finished. It takes up the story of Anne (Annie) Andrews, younger sister of Lily, the heroine of the previous book in this series (Secrets of a Wedding Night) and is an “adversaries fall in love” story. It’s a trope I rather like, and which when done well can be extremely engaging, but it’s fraught with pitfalls which I’m
Ashlyn Macnamara
Feb 08, 2013 Ashlyn Macnamara rated it it was amazing
Valerie Bowman continues her Regency series with the story of Annie, Lily's sister from SECRETS OF A WEDDING NIGHT. Like her older sister, Annie isn't afraid to take charge of her own life. She's determined to marry one man, but when her sister leaves on her honeymoon, she asks her husband's friend the Earl of Ashbourne to keep an eye on Annie. Ashbourne has an annoying tendency to show up at the wrong time and foil all Annie's plans. Lovely chemistry between these two. With sparkling prose, wit ...more
Limau Nipis
I started reading this with a 3 star in mind. In case it is much better than Secrets of a Wedding Night.

But no, it has to be a 1-star read for me.
The heroine, Annie, sister to Lily (the heroine of the first book) is a whiny girl, love to be in mischief, pursued a man that is named after an Egg? (view spoiler)

So down it goes the rating.

On the first elopement, I was like, OKAYYY... Annie is just 19-year old. She
Lisa
May 09, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Delightful. Really enjoyed it!

4 1/2 stars
Cocktails and Books
Annie, a strong willed young woman. Has decided that while her sister is on her Honeymoon, that she will try to elope to Gretna Green again with the man she is in love with.

Jordan was asked by his best friend and Annie's sister to keep an eye on her while they were away. Jordan hopes it would be an easy task to check on her once in while.

Annie believes that Arthur Eggleton, the man she tried to elope with was not paying her enough attention. Annie wants Arthur tell his father that they are engag
Lori
Rating 3.5 star

So much potential!

Annie is spunky, fearless, naive, and a hopeless romantic who wants to be married to the man whom she almost succeeded in eloping with. She is back in London and under the watchful eye of Lord Ashbourne who has been tasked to ensure she doesn't do anything stupid like get hitched while her sister Lily and Lily's new husband Devon is on their honeymoon.
Lord Ashbourne, for reasons even he is unclear of, takes the task as Annie's guardian seriously. He sees her nai
Nancy Brady
Aug 04, 2013 Nancy Brady rated it really liked it
I won this novel through a Shelf Awareness giveaway, and received an autographed copy to boot, but this is my honest review.

Annie, a strong -willed young woman, wants to be a wife and mother, and she believes she has found the perfect man to be her husband in Arthur. So much so, that she and he have run away to Gretna Green, the British Isles' elopement capital, to get married. Unfortunately for the pair, they were stopped on their way.
Now with her sister and new husband away on their own honey
Aurora
Jun 01, 2013 Aurora rated it it was amazing
Name of Book: Secrets of a Runaway Bride

Author: Valerie Bowman

ISBN: 978-1-250-00896-1

Publisher: St Martin Paperbacks

Part of a Series: Secret Brides

Type of book: Regency, 1816, determination, romance, adult, England, secret pamphlets, earl, wealth

Year it was published: 2013

Summary:

The Thrill Of Escape

Mary Gramlich
Apr 28, 2013 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing
Never stop looking for a kiss so sizzling it sets your hair on fire

Annie Andrews is determined to marry the wrong man, and Jordan Holloway, the Earl of Ashbourne is absolutely not going to let that happen.

Annie is in love with the wrong man and Jordan feels he is not the right one but he can keep Annie safe from foolishness, he hopes. Annie keeps stirring up trouble for Jordan while he works hard to keep the peace between them. Taking the obligation of caring for her seriously there is nothing h
Jacqui
Apr 14, 2013 Jacqui rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! One of the best books I have read by Valerie especially since Jordan and Annie had insane chemistry, I actually loved it more that I finished it all in one sitting! Started reading it when I couldn't fall asleep and couldn't put it down until the sun had risen and the day had pretty much started. Enjoyed it more than Secrets of a Wedding Night.
Lena Diaz
Mar 23, 2013 Lena Diaz rated it it was amazing
I've had the pleasure of reading this book before it came out and all I can say is *WOW*. I love it even better than her debut, SECRETS OF A WEDDING NIGHT. This book is sexy, witty, and charming. LOVED the hero! Can't wait for the next one. Go Valerie!
Rema
Sep 20, 2015 Rema rated it did not like it
Stay far far away from this book. Originally I'd thought about giving this book two stars but then towards the end I'd decided against it because it'd been such a waste of time reading it. Hence, the one starred review. Wherever shall I begin with what went horribly wrong with this book? Let me start out by stating that I'd read the previous book in the series but didn't add it to Goodreads because I didn't finish it. Actually, I stopped reading it within the initial few chapters because it'd be ...more
Book Binge
Anne Andrews has pretty much been left on her own in London. Her sister Lily is on her honeymoon and her chaperone for the month is her aunt by marriage, Aunt Clarissa. Aunt Clarissa is a bit of a lush so she’s really not all that much of a chaperone. Since Anne thinks herself in love with a man named Arthur Eggleston, and about six months ago had tried to marry him by heading off to Gretna Green. She was stopped then but she’s determined to get Arthur to marry her. Unfortunately Arthur’s not ex ...more
Thenia
Jan 06, 2014 Thenia rated it liked it
This is the story of Annie, Lily's (view spoiler) sister and Jordan, Devon's (view spoiler) best friend.

Annie is practically a spoiled brat, deciding it's her last chance to do something everyone disapproves of - elope with a young man she thinks she's in love with.

Jordan, who is a very sought after, han
Cerian
Jul 07, 2013 Cerian rated it really liked it
Originally given 4.5 hearts at The Rookie Romance Blog.

Annie Andrews is in love, the problem is she's not officially engaged to her love. When her sister and new brother-in-law leave for their honeymoon, Annie is free to pursue Arthur Eggleton and run off to Gretna Green (again). Unbeknownst to her, her brother-in-law's best friend, Jordan Holloway, is charged with keeping an eye on her. He has his hands full keeping Annie out of trouble and from causing damage to her reputation.
All the time spe
Ki
Jul 25, 2014 Ki rated it really liked it
(Originally posted on doingsomereading.wordpress.com)

This was a fun and enjoyable read. Made me laugh and tear up and just smiles all around.

Miss Annie has a strong personality and although I didn't like her first because of her insistent probing of being in love (with the wrong man!) but in the end I couldn't hate her because love will always have that effect on young lover.

Jordan I Adored~! At first glance I knew I would love him. His appearance in the first book where he had to assist in retr
Melanie
Jun 21, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
In ‘Secrets of a Wedding Night’ Annie Andrews is Lily’s little sister who thinks she found her hero in Mr. Eggleston. Now that Lily’s wed her man, she is determined to nab this man for herself, however there’s another man in her way, Jordan Holloway, Earl of Ashbourne, who’s been tasked by her brand new brother-in-law, to keep an eye on her and that just won’t do.

Jordan Holloway, Earl of Ashbourne, is a rake and a confirmed bachelor, who after a woman broke his heart, vowed never to marry. And n
Denise Stout
Jun 03, 2013 Denise Stout rated it it was amazing
Annie thinks she'll marry her man while her sister is on her honeymoon. Wrong. Enter Jordan, her brother-in-law's best bro and confirmed bachelor. He's supposed to be keeping an eye on her--she is a tricky one. Exasperated with her sneaky ways to try and marry a guy who doesn't seem serious about her, he whisks her off to the countryside and decides to throw a ball to find her a decent husband. Problem--he finds himself falling for her. She also falls for him. And, there's a secret "fairy godfat ...more
Linda
Jul 10, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, regency
Funny, humorous, preposterous. This amazing romance manages to be funny without being fluffy. It borders on the madcap, but doesn't cross over, making the characters likeable and accessible. Top-notch!

Plot: Twisted, convoluted, and unlikely. The beginning is great, unexpected.
Male Protagonist: Tall, dark, and handsome, but unavailable on the marriage mart. Jordan Holloway, Earl of Ashbourne
Female Protagonist: Innocent, gorgeous, and naive. Miss Annie Andrews.
Setting: London and two house parties
Alys Grey
Jun 22, 2016 Alys Grey rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the authors Playful Brides series but reading this felt like torture by the time I was only half way in. I actually read this before the previous book in the series because this was available first at the library. Before even finishing this book I scoped out the reviews for the others in the series to see if they'd be worth my time, because this certainly wasn't.

Neither of the characters were very likable. The leading lady was particularly irritating but ultimately it was the writing s
Anuka
Apr 27, 2013 Anuka rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This book was absolutely amazing! It had me hooked from the beginning to the end. The dialogues were perfect. The characters were blended perfectly. There wasn't a moment where I was bored. I am really surprised by Valerie Bowman's writing skills. I can't wait to read the next book! I highly recommend everyone to read this book. You won't be disappointed!
Virginia Boylan
Apr 15, 2013 Virginia Boylan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
Great story with a charming, spunky heroine whose overconfidence gets her into trouble over and over, giving the charming hero plenty of chances to learn he's not who he thinks he is as he rescues her from herself. I love how both of them learn and grow through this story until they're able to see and do what's best for themselves and each other.
Theresa
May 01, 2013 Theresa rated it it was amazing
The Earl of Ashbourne has been asked to keep an eye on Miss Annie Andrews
by friends. It'll take more than an eye as the young Miss drives him crazy with her adventures. The reader will delight in the workings of Annie's mind as she follows through on her adventures. You'll enjoy the romance in this wonderfully written historical.
Recreational Reader
Aug 10, 2013 Recreational Reader rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars This is a witty and fun romp and I would have rated it 5 stars but for the fact that the ending wasn't quite up to par as I felt the changes in the character of the heroine were too extreme to be believable. That being said I enjoyed the book and anyone who likes the Wallflower series by Lisa Kleypas should give it a try.
Moey17
May 25, 2013 Moey17 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this!! So charmingly entertaining! The leads were fantastic, Annie a girl who wears her heart on her sleeve, and Jordan, so dashing but in essence just a noble good man. Their romance was lovely, it was lighthearted and sweet. I can't wait for more from this author, such fun!
Ewa
Aug 28, 2013 Ewa rated it liked it
Wink-wink-wink. People in this book have some nervous tick which causes excessive winking on every second page.

Heroine was really stupid, but she was also 18 while hero was 31.
Pedobear much?
Arec Rain
Jun 03, 2013 Arec Rain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
What a fantastic novel! It has been a long time since a book, much less a romance one, has so completely enthralled me. It was witty and believable and I found myself invested in the characters. Definitely not one to pass up if you prefer a good historical romance.
Mary
Jul 29, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
I loved this book even more than the first. Annie is fun. Jordan is sexy, and their banter kept me turning the pages. This book definitely lived up to Ms. Bowman's tagline of writing RACY REGENCY ROMPS.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 01, 2015 07:22AM
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)
  • And the Miss Ran Away With The Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)
  • Surprising Lord Jack (Duchess of Love, #2)
  • A Duke Never Yields (Affairs by Moonlight, #3)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1)
  • A Most Scandalous Proposal
  • The Conquest of Lady Cassandra (Fairbourne Quartet, #2)
  • The Prince's Bride (The Royal Trilogy, #3)
  • By Love Unveiled (Restoration, #1)
  • Lady Mercy Danforthe Flirts with Scandal (Sydney Dovedale, #3)
  • If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • What Happens in Scotland (Second Sons, #1)
  • The Handbook to Handling His Lordship (Scandalous Brides, #4)
  • A Passion for Pleasure (Daring Hearts, #2)
  • Lover Be Mine (Legendary Lovers, #2)
  • A Wedding in Springtime (Marriage Mart, #1)
Valerie Bowman is an award-winning author who writes Regency-set historical romance novels aka Racy Regency Romps!

Valerie’s debut novel was published in 2012. Since then, her books have received starred reviews from Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist, and Kirkus. She’s been an RT Reviewers’ Choice nominee for Best First Historical Romance and Best Historical Romance Love and Laughter. Two of her books h
More about Valerie Bowman...

Secret Brides (3 books)
  • Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1)
  • Secrets of a Scandalous Marriage (Secret Brides, #3)