Start by marking “Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir” as Want to Read:
Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir

Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir

Photographer and Grateful Dead insider Rosie McGee's intimate memoir of the 10 years (1964-1974) she spent at the heart of the San Francisco rock music scene and living and working with the Grateful Dead. Illustrated with 200 of her photos, many never seen.
Published July 6th 2012 by TIOLI Press & Bytes

To ask other readers questions about Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir

Tom Donaghey
Oct 14, 2013 Tom Donaghey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful look into the lives of the people surrounding the Grateful Dead during their initial growth into the band they would become, told from the view of a member of the "Family". Rosie McGee was there during the sixties, during the "Summer of Love", there for the Acid Tests and the Be-Ins, the free love and the trips from Frisco to L.A., all for the love of her band, her family, her tribe. Lavishly illustrated with over 200 photos taken from the inside, this is a must read for Dead ...more
Kayla
Jul 12, 2016 Kayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off I love that she dedicated this book to all the women who have loved a musician, biker, or cowboy. I am one of those women. I went into this book wanting to know more information about the band members themselves. I figured that since she dated Phil she would have lots of stories to tell. However this book is not about them, but her life through this time period. This didn't make me lose interest. I found it fascinating to read what life was like for a woman during this time period and ...more
Craig Tyler
Nov 22, 2013 Craig Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously Rosie's no Blair Jackson but I did really appreciate the perspective she brought to the book and a look into the larger scene outside of the Dead in the 60s. I wish the publishing quality was a bit higher so the photos could have been reproduced more cleanly but as it is it's a new look into the events and people of the day.
rebecca hutchinson
Good read

Good read

enjoyed this very much but would of love to heard about her life with her man and about having her son did she marry? is he living ,how she felt about when Jerry died and more tell me more Rosie
Tristan
Sep 09, 2012 Tristan rated it really liked it
I'm not a dead-head by any means, but it was very interesting to read about the community that surrounded the musicians. McGee has a true insider's perspective and doesn't whitewash the challenges of coming of age and finding companionship in an era of free love.
Dina
Jan 12, 2015 Dina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited when I started listening to this book and really enjoyed for about the first half. I realize that the photos probably brought the book to life, which I intend to check out one day, but there were times I felt that it started to fall flat and lose my interest.
Howard Lubinger
Howard Lubinger rated it liked it
May 20, 2015
Hans Kerrinckx
Hans Kerrinckx rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Amy Pool
Amy Pool rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Richard Feltenstein
Richard Feltenstein rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Steph Keller
Steph Keller rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Mark Kevin Allen
Mark Kevin Allen rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Titbits
Titbits rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015
G.O. Clark
G.O. Clark rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Rick Fisher
Rick Fisher rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2013
Jeff Baker
Jeff Baker rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
May 15, 2015
Valerie Barnes
Valerie Barnes rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Russell Bradley
Russell Bradley rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Megan McCallum
Megan McCallum rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Jerod Zakson
Jerod Zakson rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Kenneth Johnson
Kenneth Johnson rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Paul Torrez
Paul Torrez rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2013
Roy Wano
Roy Wano rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2013
Melissa Oppedisano
Melissa Oppedisano rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2013
Joseph Jupille
Joseph Jupille rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
  • Vietnam: The Real War
  • New Mexico Ghosts and Haunting Images
  • Tweet Naked: A Bare-All Social Media Strategy for Boosting Your Brand and Your Business
  • Under the Wire: Marie Colvin's Final Assignment
  • Breakfast with Lucian: The Astounding Life and Outrageous Times of Britain's Great Modern Painter
  • A Book of Surrealist Games
  • Freedom Now!: Forgotten Photographs of the Civil Rights Struggle
  • Smokin' Motorcycles
  • Metallica: The Complete Illustrated History
  • Drumming at the Edge of Magic
  • Two Spirits, One Heart: A Mother, Her Transgender Son, and Their Journey to Love and Acceptance
  • Growing Up Dead: The Hallucinated Confessions of a Teenage Deadhead
  • Before I Croak
  • My Cats: A Memoir of Cats I Have Known
  • Children of Africa: A Photographic Journey
  • Shaking Up Public Education: One Teacher's Quest To Make A Difference In Our Schools
  • Making Masterpiece: 25 Years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS
  • You Can't Always Get What You Want

I was born Florence Nathan in Paris, France, the daughter of two Parisians who owned a bookstore. When I was five, we emigrated to the U.S. where I entered a San Francisco kindergarten speaking only French.

I started taking photographs when I was 12, about the time I wrote my first short story for an English class.

At 18, I was hired by legendary DJ "Big Daddy" Tom Donahue to work for his Autumn Rec
More about Rosie McGee...