Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir

Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Photographer and Grateful Dead insider Rosie McGee's intimate memoir of the 10 years (1964-1974) she spent at the heart of the San Francisco rock music scene and living and working with the Grateful Dead. Illustrated with 200 of her photos, many never seen.
Published July 6th 2012 by TIOLI Press & Bytes

To ask other readers questions about Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir

Tom Donaghey
This is a wonderful look into the lives of the people surrounding the Grateful Dead during their initial growth into the band they would become, told from the view of a member of the "Family". Rosie McGee was there during the sixties, during the "Summer of Love", there for the Acid Tests and the Be-Ins, the free love and the trips from Frisco to L.A., all for the love of her band, her family, her tribe. Lavishly illustrated with over 200 photos taken from the inside, this is a must read for Dead...more
Craig Tyler
Obviously Rosie's no Blair Jackson but I did really appreciate the perspective she brought to the book and a look into the larger scene outside of the Dead in the 60s. I wish the publishing quality was a bit higher so the photos could have been reproduced more cleanly but as it is it's a new look into the events and people of the day.
Tristan
I'm not a dead-head by any means, but it was very interesting to read about the community that surrounded the musicians. McGee has a true insider's perspective and doesn't whitewash the challenges of coming of age and finding companionship in an era of free love.
Martha Ann
Martha Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Dewey Moffitt
Dewey Moffitt marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Chip Christian
Chip Christian marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
zubia anwar
zubia anwar marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Joseph Jupille
Joseph Jupille marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Bob Jones
Bob Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Bill Lydon
Bill Lydon marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Mallorie
Mallorie marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

I was born Florence Nathan in Paris, France, the daughter of two Parisians who owned a bookstore. When I was five, we emigrated to the U.S. where I entered a San Francisco kindergarten speaking only French.

I started taking photographs when I was 12, about the time I wrote my first short story for an English class.

At 18, I was hired by legendary DJ "Big Daddy" Tom Donahue to work for his Autumn Rec...more
More about Rosie McGee...