Dark Waters (Cragg & Fidelis Mystery #2)

Dark Waters (Cragg & Fidelis Mystery #2)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The setting for the second Cragg and Fidelis mystery is again Georgian Preston, with the time moving forward a year to 1741.

When the pair are called to the drowning of the landlord of the Ferry Inn, whose corpse has turned up entangled in the River Ribble’s salmon traps, a complex investigation begins in which love, greed and politics all take a hand. A national general el...more
Published August 2nd 2012 by Macmillan

Donna
Goodreads Giveaway

While I have not read the first Cragg & Fidelis mystery I did not have any trouble picking up this, the second in the series. Twists and turns in the investigation of a series of suspicious deaths, including some interesting early forensic techniques, set against a back drop of hotly contested Parlimentary elections. Kept me reading and I will look for more in this series.
Skjam!
Jul 26, 2013 Skjam! rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical mystery fans
Recommended to Skjam! by: Goodreads
Disclaimer: I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway on the premise that I would review it. My copy was an Advance Reading Copy, and there may be minor changes in the final product.

Dark Waters by Robin Blake

It is the Year of Our Lord 1741 in the small but bustling English town of Preston. Attorney and coroner Titus Cragg is shocked but not surprised to find his drunkard uncle-in-law has fallen into the river and drowned. The coroner's jury rules it an accidental death, and that seems to be a...more
Patti Wilson
I was reluctant to continue to read this book after the first chapters as I am American and do not know anything about British politics let alone mid 18th century British politics. But, I had won this book in a goodreads giveaway and felt obligated. By the fifth chapter I was hooked. Mr. Blake is very good with red herrings. I can honestly say that this is now one of my favorite historical mysteries. Plus, thrown into the pot are the beginnings of "Rule Britannia" and, how the voting process wor...more
Georgia Lengyel
I received this book as a Giveaway. I had read the first book in the series already, so the characters were not new to me. I enjoyed all the twists and turns throughout the story, but thought there was a lot in the book that could have been left out without making any major changes to the book. I read mystery book that are mostly staged in the past and in the British Isles. Their way of voting was very interesting. I liked the previous book better.
Maria
Dry writing and I had difficulty caring about any of the characters.
Sheelah
I'm sorry to say that this book was not a great read. It was long, too long, and while I felt I got to know a few characters they were not enough to hold my interest. As I received it as a advanced reading copy, I felt an obligation to finish it. I do enjoy mysteries, but not particularly set in the 18th century.
I am only glad the author did not write it in "old english speak".
Kate
Very good. Historical mystery of the mid-18th century, rural England, with political commentary. Several murders occur as the town prepares for the first contested election of the county's MP in some years, while the coroner Titus Cragg and his pal the young doctor try to seek the culprits and prevent more deaths. Human frailties abound....and humor.
T
It wasn't particularly captivating and it was longer than it needed to be. At times it picked up but for the most part was a dry, forgettable read.
Kevin
I really enjoyed this book. I like books that incorporate historical facts and time elements and this book delivered with very high marks. Excellent mystery and fun to read. I highly recommend this book
Jayw
Sep 26, 2013 Jayw added it
Set in 1741. Coroner investigates suspicious drowning of drunken publican during lead up to Parliamentary elections.
Dawn
It is an amazing eighteenth century whodunit. It has politics,love and deception. Great !!!
Johanna
Totally disappointing.
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Unikuningatar
Unikuningatar marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Stephanie Lee
Stephanie Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
John Sargant
John Sargant marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Reta Pyke
Reta Pyke marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Timothy Freigant
Timothy Freigant marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
120581
Robin Blake is the author of acclaimed works on the artists Van Dyke and Stubbs. He has written, produced and presented extensively for radio, is widely published as a critic, and is a Royal Literary Fund Fellow at BrunelUniversity. He lives in London.
More about Robin Blake...
A Dark Anatomy (Cragg & Fidelis Mystery, #1) Essential Modern art Modern Art Trial And Retribution: No.4 Saints