Start by marking “Point of Knives (Astreiant, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Point of Knives (Astreiant, #1.5)

Point of Knives (Astreiant #1.5)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  212 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A welcome return to the vividly realized city of Astreiant with its intricate magics and deadly politics, Point of Knives takes place in the interval between the widely praised earlier novels Point of Hopes and Point of Dreams. A fantastical mystery and a rousing adventure, Point of Knives also reveals for the first time the beginning of the romance between Adjunct Point N ...more
Published July 8th 2012 by Lethe Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Point of Knives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point of Knives

Mar 29, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Cortito, pero tan intenso como el primero. En esta novella nos encontramos con otro misterio a resolver que requerirá la colaboración de Philip y Nico, y vemos cómo evoluciona su relación.

Me gusta el mundo en el que se sitúan las historias, me gusta el misterio y me encantan los personajes y las relaciones entre ellos.

Me voy a por el siguiente.
Hilcia
Set in an alternate pseudo-Renaissance world full of magics, pointsmen, wizards, necromancers and deadly political games, Point of Knives by Melissa Scott is a brand new novella that links the classic original fantasy Astreiant duology -- Point of Hopes and Point of Dreams -- by closing the gaps between the two books.

In Point of Knives, Scott's main characters Adjunct Point Nicolas Rathe and ex-soldier Philip Eslingen, now Caiazzo's knife or bodyguard, are thrown together again by unusual circum
Tara
Jun 03, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a devoted fan of the first two books in the Points series, I was absolutely delighted to learn that Melissa Scott would be writing a novella to fill in the blanks between book one (Point of Hopes) and book two (Point of Dreams). This book definitely didn't disappoint.

I could go on endlessly about how much I love the setting of this series (the Renaissance Europe-esque world; the incorporation of astronomy, ghosts, and magic as almost mundane aspects of daily life; the female-centric social st
Alison
I really enjoyed this long, lovely novella. It is set in the time between the first (Point of Hopes) and second (Point of Dreams) books and adds a lot of depth to Nico's and Philip's respective characters. The mystery is engaging and we learn more about the fascinating world of Astreiant. The world-building, like in the rest of these books, is magnificent and so thorough. Also like the other books, this story is not a romance, it's an engrossing police procedural where the two main characters fa ...more
Sineala
I am so happy that we are finally, finally getting more stories in the Points world, and I really loved this. Set between Hopes and Dreams, this novella explores Rathe and Eslingen's relationship, how exactly Rathe ends up transferred to Point of Dreams, and of course a murder or two to solve, with some magic.

My only real complaint is that I wish we had seen Rathe and Eslingen first becoming romantically involved, which this book still doesn't provide; the beginning establishes that they had got
heidi
Jul 02, 2012 heidi rated it really liked it
This is a lovely bridge novella between the two existing novels of Astreiant. It is very much a story of transitions -- Phillip is moving from one employer to another, Rathe is being moved from one posting to another, and they are moving emotionally closer to each other.

The mystery in this one is a little less compelling than the other two, but the characterization is lovely and bittersweet. I think it is especially thought-provoking to realize Scott wrote this after the death of her long-time p
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
An interesting mystery, the start of the romance we have all been waiting for, more on the mysterious Point of Knives. More of the characters I've come to love and care for. What more could I wish for? ;)
D
Jan 20, 2013 D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I keep on giving these books three stars, and I keep on coming back to edit them. /o\

A novella set between Hopes and Dreams, where I first expected Ms Scott to talk about how Rathe and Eslingen got together, but which didn't (they were mostly together at this time. Ms Scott describes Knives as 'a courtship interrupted by murder' which I think is very apt). BUT FEAR NOT MY FRIEND. Ms Scott has written such a story, which you can find here.

This one has more police procedural than the others (they
Isis
Aug 27, 2012 Isis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, fantasy, ebook
Yay more Astreiant! Slightly more emotional content (yay!) than the novels, but still, there are so many holes in the relationship aspect (and a whole lot of fade-to-black) that I desperately want fanfic for it. I suppose this was deliberate on Scott's part. It works, damn her.

Scott's writing style has improved a bit, but she still uses way too many epithets. I am really sick of 'the Leaguer', is what I mean. But oh, the world is so nifty, and the details so clever and interesting, and the actua
Q
Jun 07, 2014 Q rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The story is still engaging but it's lacking the level of detail that previous books had. It reads like a draft and I started disliking the word "russet" by the end.
Heather Rose
Nov 10, 2014 Heather Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Having recently picked up the third novel in the Astreiant series (Fair’s Point) I realized that I had somehow missed the Novella Point of Knives that fits between the first two books in the series. This has now been corrected. (When I started reading, I suddenly wondered if I’d simply forgotten that I’d read it, but realized that I’d heard the opening at an author reading, probably at Darkovercon.)

I love Scott’s writing style--especially the way the world of Astreiant is unfolded for us on a ne
Andrew
Nov 20, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked _Point of Hopes_ and _Point of Dreams_, but Melissa Scott's co-author died a few years ago, so I didn't expect any new novels in the series. There still aren't, but Scott has written this novella instead. (Set between the original two novels.)

If you never read the novels, go back and start with _Point of Hopes_. It's a youngish (albeit not rookie) cop in a particularly distinctive and nifty fantasy city. With alchemy! But *not* standard-American-cop tropes transplanted to fantasyl
Just_ann_now
When I began reading this, one of my first thoughts was, "Oh no! I've been Kushnered!", remembering how in Swordspoint Richard and Alec are presented to us a couple, denying us the delights of the earliest days of their relationship. Point of Knives does almost the same thing - several instances of "Nico and Philip had gone to bed a few times", and "Nico and Philip had had a brief affair..." I wanted details, dammit!

But it all turns out just fine. In Point of Knives Nico and Philip think they a
Freyavenlyo
Okay, I truly liked the second book of the Astreiant Series, but where it says on the back cover "... also reveals for the first time the beginning of the romance between ...", that's not 1000% accurate.
Because we read about the beginning of a real relationship between our lovely main characters, the hop-between-the-sheets part is really only mentioned as "... and slept together more than once in the heady aftermath ...".

After that, their occupational hazard keeps them apart, Rathe being a poi
Viridian5
Point of Knives takes place in the interval between earlier novels Point of Hopes and Point of Dreams. While Adjunct Point Nicholas Rathe is investigating the murder of two people, he comes across former friend/partner/lover Philip Eslingen, who's currently working for a crooked underworld figure. Rathe would like the opportunity to work with him but doesn't know if they can work out together as partners or as partners without endangering his reputation as a man of justice.

I appreciate the stil
Buzz H.
Jul 31, 2016 Buzz H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance, f-sf
What a wonderful novella! I enjoyed Point of Hopes but I loved Point of Knives. The world is exceptionally well thought-out in both, and the characters have humanity and depth. I really enjoyed the development of the relationship between Philip and Nico.

Melissa Scott has been a tough author for me in the past. She has exceptional skill at world building and molds fabulous characters. Her prose, though, was so dreadful that I could not make it through otherwise marvelous books. Happily that has c
Abi Walton
This novella looks at the time between Point of Hopes and Point Of Dreams and how the relationship between Nico and Philip goes from being barely hinted at in Point Of Hopes to considering 'lemony' in Point Of Dreams.
They both have stronger feeling for the other than is probably wise as both are on the other side of the law but they cannot resist the fondness that the two have for one another and this is what makes this book work better than Point Of Hopes because it makes these characters come
Jillian MacLeod
Aug 05, 2014 Jillian MacLeod rated it really liked it
This really isn't a genre that makes it easy for the reader to play armchair detective. The combination of alternate history, complex politics and customs in an unfamiliar historical setting, and the fantasy elements made me feel less like I was solving the mystery alongside Nico and Philip and more like I was following in their footsteps and taking their word for things like motive.

That said, I found the story and characters engaging enough that I really didn't care. I was thoroughly entertain
Drianne
Jun 03, 2012 Drianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, sf, m-m, historical, re-read
I have been waiting *YEARS* for this book, and I am so delighted that it exists. It was wonderful to return to Astreiant with Nico and Philip (even if I was a little sad that the book *still* picked up after they'd already gotten together, again, just like Point of Dreams). The plot was nice, and the world-building remains awesome.

Now I am extremely curious to know whether, in fact, we ever did learn what Nico's stars were in one of the other two books -- perhaps I will have to reread, again. :)
Denise
Nov 24, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favourites, read-2013
Set between Point of Hopes and Point of Dreams, this novella is the latest story to be added to the wonderful universe of the Astreiant series. A quick and highly enjoyable read - I'm falling more and more in love with these characters and the fascinating world they live in, so I certainly hope there will be more books featuring them in future.
Tenny
Mar 07, 2016 Tenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, gay
Oh, I just love these characters, the setting and the story...
My only complaint is that the summary is misleading, this is, in fact, not a story of how they got together in the first place. More like, how they got together properly?
I want those first kisses, damn it!
But still, a very good and enjoyable read.
Joseph
Aug 24, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A shorter book in the series, but enjoyable. I loved the ever-growing additions to the setting of Astreiant, and really adore some of its characters. Seeing a setting in which queerness is a thing so ordinary as to not be deemed worth commenting on is *deeply* refreshing.
Nancy
Mar 14, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-crafted, beautifully written and BELIEVABLE. The relationship between the protagonists (Nico and Philip) is handled with skill and restraint. And yay! women are not an afterthought; they have LOTS to do in this world.

My only complaint: waaaay too short!! :)
Isana
Aug 31, 2013 Isana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They're way too cute. It's not as polished as the other two books, kind of like really great fanfiction, but SO entertaining. I just love Nico and Philip so much! A cute short story that I think lives up to the other two quite well. Now I need to reread Point of Dreams. I'm excited about it!
Lisa Foulke
Point of Knives (Astreiant, #1.5) is where Nico and Philip really decide that they want to be together. For that alone, it's worth reading. But it's also fascinating to learn more about another Point and to delve further into the culture of the town.
piranha
Jul 20, 2012 piranha marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OMG, a new book by melissa scott. i am totally thrilled right now and can't wait to get my hands on it. *smooches lethe press*.
Chris
Sep 08, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, sffantasy
There's something weird about the pacing in this series - I never feel any sense of narrative tension - but I love the worldbuilding.
Haldoor42
Jun 27, 2013 Haldoor42 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done, although a little less fade to blck before they even so much as touched would have been nice. ;-)
Catherine
Aug 17, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming m/m romance, best read in conjunction with the 2 Points novels. If you liked both of them, this should be just your speed. Nice presentation of the text, too.
Matthew Elmslie
Just a novella, but a welcome return to the city of Astreiant. I think there's supposed to be a fourth one in this series out there, or one coming anyway. I hope so.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Gumshoe, the Witch, and the Virtual Corpse (Gumshoe, #1)
  • Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)
  • An Apprentice to Elves (Iskryne World, #3)
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • The Door into Sunset (Tale of the Five, #3)
  • Shirewode (The Wode, #2)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • A Matter of Oaths
  • The Night Shift (The Night Wars #2)
  • The Darkling Thrush
  • Magistrates of Hell (James Asher, #4)
  • Fortunes of War
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...

Astreiant (3 books)
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • Fairs' Point (Astreiant, #3)