Start by marking “Point of Knives (Astreiant, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Point of Knives (Astreiant, #1.5)

Point of Knives (Astreiant #1.5)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A welcome return to the vividly realized city of Astreiant with its intricate magics and deadly politics, Point of Knives takes place in the interval between the widely praised earlier novels Point of Hopes and Point of Dreams. A fantastical mystery and a rousing adventure, Point of Knives also reveals for the first time the beginning of the romance between Adjunct Point N ...more
ebook
Published July 8th 2012 by Lethe Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Point of Knives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point of Knives

Hilcia
Set in an alternate pseudo-Renaissance world full of magics, pointsmen, wizards, necromancers and deadly political games, Point of Knives by Melissa Scott is a brand new novella that links the classic original fantasy Astreiant duology -- Point of Hopes and Point of Dreams -- by closing the gaps between the two books.

In Point of Knives, Scott's main characters Adjunct Point Nicolas Rathe and ex-soldier Philip Eslingen, now Caiazzo's knife or bodyguard, are thrown together again by unusual circum
Tara
As a devoted fan of the first two books in the Points series, I was absolutely delighted to learn that Melissa Scott would be writing a novella to fill in the blanks between book one (Point of Hopes) and book two (Point of Dreams). This book definitely didn't disappoint.

I could go on endlessly about how much I love the setting of this series (the Renaissance Europe-esque world; the incorporation of astronomy, ghosts, and magic as almost mundane aspects of daily life; the female-centric social st
Sineala
I am so happy that we are finally, finally getting more stories in the Points world, and I really loved this. Set between Hopes and Dreams, this novella explores Rathe and Eslingen's relationship, how exactly Rathe ends up transferred to Point of Dreams, and of course a murder or two to solve, with some magic.

My only real complaint is that I wish we had seen Rathe and Eslingen first becoming romantically involved, which this book still doesn't provide; the beginning establishes that they had got
heidi
This is a lovely bridge novella between the two existing novels of Astreiant. It is very much a story of transitions -- Phillip is moving from one employer to another, Rathe is being moved from one posting to another, and they are moving emotionally closer to each other.

The mystery in this one is a little less compelling than the other two, but the characterization is lovely and bittersweet. I think it is especially thought-provoking to realize Scott wrote this after the death of her long-time p
Isis
Yay more Astreiant! Slightly more emotional content (yay!) than the novels, but still, there are so many holes in the relationship aspect (and a whole lot of fade-to-black) that I desperately want fanfic for it. I suppose this was deliberate on Scott's part. It works, damn her.

Scott's writing style has improved a bit, but she still uses way too many epithets. I am really sick of 'the Leaguer', is what I mean. But oh, the world is so nifty, and the details so clever and interesting, and the actua
Freyavenlyo
Okay, I truly liked the second book of the Astreiant Series, but where it says on the back cover "... also reveals for the first time the beginning of the romance between ...", that's not 1000% accurate.
Because we read about the beginning of a real relationship between our lovely main characters, the hop-between-the-sheets part is really only mentioned as "... and slept together more than once in the heady aftermath ...".

After that, their occupational hazard keeps them apart, Rathe being a poi
Heather Rose
Having recently picked up the third novel in the Astreiant series (Fair’s Point) I realized that I had somehow missed the Novella Point of Knives that fits between the first two books in the series. This has now been corrected. (When I started reading, I suddenly wondered if I’d simply forgotten that I’d read it, but realized that I’d heard the opening at an author reading, probably at Darkovercon.)

I love Scott’s writing style--especially the way the world of Astreiant is unfolded for us on a ne
Abi
This novella looks at the time between Point of Hopes and Point Of Dreams and how the relationship between Nico and Philip goes from being barely hinted at in Point Of Hopes to considering 'lemony' in Point Of Dreams.
They both have stronger feeling for the other than is probably wise as both are on the other side of the law but they cannot resist the fondness that the two have for one another and this is what makes this book work better than Point Of Hopes because it makes these characters come
Jillian MacLeod
This really isn't a genre that makes it easy for the reader to play armchair detective. The combination of alternate history, complex politics and customs in an unfamiliar historical setting, and the fantasy elements made me feel less like I was solving the mystery alongside Nico and Philip and more like I was following in their footsteps and taking their word for things like motive.

That said, I found the story and characters engaging enough that I really didn't care. I was thoroughly entertain
Q
The story is still engaging but it's lacking the level of detail that previous books had. It reads like a draft and I started disliking the word "russet" by the end.
Andrew
I really liked _Point of Hopes_ and _Point of Dreams_, but Melissa Scott's co-author died a few years ago, so I didn't expect any new novels in the series. There still aren't, but Scott has written this novella instead. (Set between the original two novels.)

If you never read the novels, go back and start with _Point of Hopes_. It's a youngish (albeit not rookie) cop in a particularly distinctive and nifty fantasy city. With alchemy! But *not* standard-American-cop tropes transplanted to fantasyl
Just_ann_now
When I began reading this, one of my first thoughts was, "Oh no! I've been Kushnered!", remembering how in Swordspoint Richard and Alec are presented to us a couple, denying us the delights of the earliest days of their relationship. Point of Knives does almost the same thing - several instances of "Nico and Philip had gone to bed a few times", and "Nico and Philip had had a brief affair..." I wanted details, dammit!

But it all turns out just fine. In Point of Knives Nico and Philip think they a
Viridian5
Point of Knives takes place in the interval between earlier novels Point of Hopes and Point of Dreams. While Adjunct Point Nicholas Rathe is investigating the murder of two people, he comes across former friend/partner/lover Philip Eslingen, who's currently working for a crooked underworld figure. Rathe would like the opportunity to work with him but doesn't know if they can work out together as partners or as partners without endangering his reputation as a man of justice.

I appreciate the stil
Nancy
Well-crafted, beautifully written and BELIEVABLE. The relationship between the protagonists (Nico and Philip) is handled with skill and restraint. And yay! women are not an afterthought; they have LOTS to do in this world.

My only complaint: waaaay too short!! :)
D
I keep on giving these books three stars, and I keep on coming back to edit them. /o\

A novella set between Hopes and Dreams, where I first expected Ms Scott to talk about how Rathe and Eslingen got together, but which didn't (they were mostly together at this time. Ms Scott describes Knives as 'a courtship interrupted by murder' which I think is very apt). BUT FEAR NOT MY FRIEND. Ms Scott has written such a story, which you can find here.

This one has more police procedural than the others (they
Matthew Elmslie
Just a novella, but a welcome return to the city of Astreiant. I think there's supposed to be a fourth one in this series out there, or one coming anyway. I hope so.
Denise
Set between Point of Hopes and Point of Dreams, this novella is the latest story to be added to the wonderful universe of the Astreiant series. A quick and highly enjoyable read - I'm falling more and more in love with these characters and the fascinating world they live in, so I certainly hope there will be more books featuring them in future.
Angel Pedroza
This is a wonderful series and having finished this story I am on to the latest book.
Drianne
I have been waiting *YEARS* for this book, and I am so delighted that it exists. It was wonderful to return to Astreiant with Nico and Philip (even if I was a little sad that the book *still* picked up after they'd already gotten together, again, just like Point of Dreams). The plot was nice, and the world-building remains awesome.

Now I am extremely curious to know whether, in fact, we ever did learn what Nico's stars were in one of the other two books -- perhaps I will have to reread, again. :)
Isana
They're way too cute. It's not as polished as the other two books, kind of like really great fanfiction, but SO entertaining. I just love Nico and Philip so much! A cute short story that I think lives up to the other two quite well. Now I need to reread Point of Dreams. I'm excited about it!
Annis
As usual with this author, the language is beautiful and the world building fascinating. The plot was light, but I found myself not caring overly when I was returning to characters as loved as these.
Catherine
Charming m/m romance, best read in conjunction with the 2 Points novels. If you liked both of them, this should be just your speed. Nice presentation of the text, too.
Chris
There's something weird about the pacing in this series - I never feel any sense of narrative tension - but I love the worldbuilding.
piranha
Jul 20, 2012 piranha marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OMG, a new book by melissa scott. i am totally thrilled right now and can't wait to get my hands on it. *smooches lethe press*.
Haldoor42
Nicely done, although a little less fade to blck before they even so much as touched would have been nice. ;-)
Zechy
A nice bridge between the two books. Very short, but well written.
Lady*M
3. 5 - 3.75 stars
Lorelei
Very Enjoyable
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Black Blades (Rifter #3)
  • The Gumshoe, the Witch, and the Virtual Corpse (Gumshoe, #1)
  • The Door into Sunset (Tale of the Five, #3)
  • A Companion to Wolves (Iskryne World, #1)
  • The Fall of the Kings (Riverside, #3)
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
  • Fortunes of War
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • Shirewode (The Wode, #2)
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea
  • The German
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...

Astreiant (3 books)
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • Fairs' Point (Astreiant, #3)
Trouble and Her Friends Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1) Dreamships Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2) The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)