Start by marking “Wake Me Up Inside (Mates #1)” as Want to Read:
Wake Me Up Inside (Mates #1)

Wake Me Up Inside (Mates #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  3,959 Ratings  ·  468 Reviews
Zev Hassick is surprised and confused when he finds himself attracted to his best friend. His very human, very male best friend. Zev is the son of the pack Alpha, regarded as the strongest wolf in generations, born to lead. And everyone knows a male shifter has to mate with a female of his own kind to keep his humanity. So shifters can't be gay, right?

Jonah Marvel wants a
Published August 15th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wake Me Up Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Me Up Inside

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Price drop to $0.99 today at Amazon US, 3/23/17!*

The entire plot of the book is basically described in the image below:

Okay! That's a wrap...

Wait, you want more of a review? Fine, fine...

I can tell a Cardeno C. book from a mile away. They are sap overload, true-love-fests, and sometimes that works for me and sometimes it doesn't. More often than not, the insta-love that I so often see in this author's books irritates me and I end up with mixed feelings about the story.

However, this is a shifte
Vilda
Aug 01, 2013 Vilda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: M/M paranormal readers looking for a heartwarming read!
"The white-haired boy was his. Zev's wolf knew it instinctively, and Zev's human agreed. Maybe when he grew bigger, he'd be able to find a way to play with his friend."

Oh, how I loved this story! I just could not put it down, and even taking a break for sleep was hard. It might not have been the most unique story out there or one that left me craving for more, but it was still perfect the way it is. It was such a sweet and touching story, that I'm left with a big smile and a wish to hug everyo
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Did. Not. Want. This. Book. To. End.

No one does shifters like CC!

Loved Zev and Jonah, even if I found Zev's reluctance to communicate with Jonah sooner (rather than almost too late) a little frustrating.

But there was so much yummy angst, tenderness, smexy times and soul-baring FEELS, I was swept away.

Bravo!

Sophia Triad
Jan 25, 2017 Sophia Triad rated it it was amazing
“It’s just you. It’s always been you.”

I loved the way Zev and Jonah first met:

The human didn't cry, he just reached his small hand out and petted Zev's fur. The wolf cub whined with joy and pressed himself against the human baby, licking his neck and rubbing against his body. Zev's wanted to mark himself with that lemony scent. It smelled so good and right...

So when they first met, they were just babies.
A one year old human baby and a same age wolf cub.

After that they are always together, as
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧•°**★❧ •°**★
Aug 15, 2012 ¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧•°**★❧ •°**★ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone in the mood for sweets!
OMG~This Book Has a Smexy Alpha who is a Force to be Reckoned with!
" Blondie his mate is a Force to be Reckoned with as well~"

4 Stars~

Cuz, really really , like it! and if they would have not been (view spoiler) would have been a solid 5 Star book.

The Book~

"This Book Has Cardeno's Signature Sweetness, with an addtional bonus of a feeling of a Sweet Tribal Air in this that is Awesome ~

The flow of the time-frame jumps
~Mindy Lynn~
3.5*

A sweet shifter book!

Zev and Jonah were quite the adorable couple. They meet very young and they are sweet from age 1 and on. I liked we got to see how they grew with each other and how their relationship became something more serious than friends. I thought Zev being so naïve about gay sex was kind of adorable. I loved how Jonah made him feel comfortable about it all and how Zev was so accepting on how things were and who he was.

I didn't like how long it took for these two to actually join
Jewel
I loved revisiting this universe and this story. It made me just as melty as it did the first time.

--------Original Review 29 Nov 2014----------
4.5 Stars

I don't read much paranormal. Of the 900+ books I've marked as 'read' on GoodReads, only 25 of them are paranormal books. No particular reason, I don't think, I just tend to overlook them. Well, after reading The Half of Us, by this same author, Dani recommended this series. And thank FSM she did. I hate the fact that I would have overlooked thi
Amy
Nov 28, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How have I not discovered the world of shifters until now?? Holy crap, shifters are H-O-T!! I think this was a good one for me to start with because it covered all the basics of shifters, most of which I was unfamiliar with. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series. Also wanted to add, I listened to this one on audiobook. Charlie David is the narrator and he did a really good job.
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***4.5 Stars***

Friends to lovers, true mates, shifters, some long distance angst....

Zev and Jonah were adorably fantastic together!!

The connection...
The friendship...
The humor...
The sex...

Check. Check. Check. Check. Loved it all.

I love the way the story was told. The prologue starts in the present, and then we're taken to the very beginning of Zev and Jonah's friendship until the story catches up to the prologue. I loved that anticipation of finding out why things are the way they are in the p
Mandapanda
Jul 22, 2012 Mandapanda rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
3.5 stars. Young Alpha Zev has always known who his mate is. Lifelong friend Jonah. But Jonah is human and dreams of becoming a doctor so even though it causes a lot of pain and anguish Zev lets him leave town to follow his dreams without telling him the truth.

Cardeno C. writes this story in a clean expository way. It's not high on descriptive passages or imagery. And it's less emotionally fraught than his previous books although it still has a lot of this author's trademark sweetness and intens
Mona
Sep 30, 2013 Mona rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Beautiful, warm, heartfelt, sexy and endearing read!

Zev Hassick, a shifter and an Alpha in the making, is drawn to Jonah Marvel, a human, from a young age. They meet before their child minds can understand the importance of the other person. Before they can understand their need to be together. A fierce need that stays with them from childhood best friends, to lovers and mates.

description

Wake Me Up Inside is a story about soul mates...meeting your other half, your true mate. A story about sacrificing you
Ingela
3,5 Stars for a cute and sweet little romantic love tale

As I expressed it to a friend - "two birds with one stone." Two genres I love to read: M/M and PNR, in a wonderful mix. All at once, with some new interesting variants from the shifter world.

A simple but very cute story about a wolf shifter who already as a boy meets his predetermined true mate, a blond human boy. I enjoyed a lot and loved this boys and later men.
‘The wolf cub whined with joy and pressed himself against the human baby, lic
Purplegirl
I love Cardeno C. books but I think his style did not work for a shifter book, for me. I like sweet, loving, no angst in my human books. But shifter books, I want them faster paced, early claiming and a whole lot of 'mine' language. I don't want it to take forever to get to that.

The flashbacks were killing me too. If most of the books is in flash back, then start the book from there. I don't like a lot of flashbacks and then the last 20 % is present but that is pretty much what happened.

I want
Bev
Really liked this one. My first m/m shifter tale. The characters were likeable and the plot was interesting. 4 stars and a big

I loved Zev and Jonah, and the fact they 'found' each other when Zev was a pup, and Jonah was crawling around at the age of 1. Lots of things conspire to stand in their way, not least of which is that Zev is in line to be the next Alpha of the pack and should obviously be getting mated to a female not a male!!

Jonah goes away to college to become a doctor while Zev stays
Gigi
I really, really wanted to love this shifter story of a man who found his mate at the age of one, and that mate was his same gender, which was absolutely unheard of in his pack. But the author just drew out getting these two mates together, and I just kept getting more and more frustrated... It made the pay off a little too anti-climatic for my tastes. *sigh* So, my issue really. The writing was great, the characters fleshed out, hot and fabulous. The sex was fantastic! :)

4 stars from me because
Victoria  love books
Aug 03, 2015 Victoria love books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shifters, audio-mm
Overall book rating 3.8 howling stars
Audio book - Narrator Charlie David - 4.5 Stars
Book cover rating - 4.8 amazing stars

This was my first wolf shifter book and I think it was a nice calm intro to the wolf shifters.

This was quite
descriptio

It was different but nice. I needed the no drama shit and this book was perfect. I got a little irritated with the time laps but other than that I liked it.

Macky
4/ 4.5 Stars.
What a great story. I really loved Cardeno's take on the shifter world. A nice spin on the normal lore surrounding Shifters and their mates. There's not much this man writes that doesn't make me smile contentedly. The chemistry is there as always, the love scenes sizzle, the sexual tension shimmers and I'm just glad I've got the next one on my kindle ready to follow up in the near future.

Zev and Jonah's story held me captive now I'm looking forward to seeing how Ethan and Miguel t
Wendy
I really have a weak for hot shifters and this book was right up my alley. I have to be honest though.... I have read this series kind of out of order. This happens to me a lot though, and since these books can be read as stand alones...it wasn't an issue. What can I say....I am a bit weird.

This story skips between present and past time and even though I find this annoying in most books...I didn't in this one.

Zev and Jonah meet when they are both very very young, around 1. Jonah is playing (or m
MishyJo
3.5 stars. I like the writing and the relationship but it dragged a bit and was rather repetitive in its explanation of the shifter culture.
Susan
Nov 12, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
I read this in one sitting I am still not sure how I feel about this book. I did like it that’s for sure, but it this entire book was nerve wracking for me. And I don’t really like that in a book.

This book covers the entire life of Zev and Jonah (well, until they're 30). Zev is a wolf shifter and has always known that Jonah, who is human, is his true mate. But since Jonah knows nothing about shifters Zev can’t really jump up and say: tadaaaaa, I’m a shifter.

description

The boys get involved when they’re 18.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Zev and Jonah have been fascinated and drawn to each other since earliest childhood, not knowing or even caring why.
Their friendship and closeness shouldn't be a problem, but it is, Zev is the future alpha of his pack and Jonah is a human child. Zev's family and pack discourage interaction with humans, but Zev can't and won't give Jonah up, until he has to let him go to get his education.
I had a bit of an issue getting used to the way the story is told, at least in the beginning, it switches for
Otila
Jul 08, 2014 Otila rated it liked it
This was a sweet and hot read. Just what I expect from a Cardeno C. book.

True mates are rare in the shifter world, but Zev found his at the age of one. Ever since he first laid eyes nose on Jonah, he knew there was a connection. He didn't know what it meant at the time but eventually he figured it out. The problem is that his mate is not only human but male. That's just not supposed to be possible. I really liked seeing the relationship between Jonah and Zev develop throughout their lives. I alw
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
2.5

Simple but sweet. From the two books I've read by her, Cardeno C. has a knack for writing convincingly "sweet" stories, no matter the situation or character.

I rated it 2.5 stars, but my enjoyment level was closer to three - the same bump down was due to "technical difficulties." For one thing there was the annoyance having their relationship drawn out way too long - 12 year foreplay? Seriously? Anticlimactic.

It became frustrating he can't tell his mate the truth about what he is, why they hav
Sam
Jul 24, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing
I was challenged to read this book by Cardeno C. I avoid shifter/paranormal books, they just aren't something I enjoy so knowing this, Cardeno challenged me to give this book a try. Now let me say that I love Cardeno's books but really me? read a book about something I avoid like the plague, umm no. However, it's written by Cardeno and hey, he challenged me! so I put aside my own discomfort and decided to read it. I can now admit...I was wrong. Yeah, Yeah I know, you are smirking Cardeno, go ahe ...more
Debra
May 02, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it

Really loved this book. There is no doubt that Zev and Jonah are meant to be together. They have known and been drawn to each other since they were one year old. What Jonah doesn't know is that his best friend and lover is also Pup, the wolf he has known all his life.

The relationship between the two men is strong and solid, but 12 years of physical separation, while Jonah attends college and medical school, with only sporadic visits are taking their toll. When Jonah's health begins to
Meep
Nov 28, 2014 Meep marked it as dnf
Changing this from 'I'll return, mayhaps' to 'no done with, never' DNF no rating.
Bought this as the second book sounded good and series-order-etc, but I didn't like it, since tried the second book and found I really didn't like that one. Declaring this series a wash-out for me. Not going to continue trying them.
Sandra
3.5 stars Hmm, well I'm really torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one, although the abrupt ending had me leaning towards 3. Did it seem abrupt to anyone else? Since I was on an eReader I didn't realize it was almost over, and I was actually skimming yet another blowjob scene (don't get me wrong, they're hot, but anything can get repetitive after a while) when it just, ended. I guess everything had been wrapped up, but I just wanted a little more or more thorough closure. (view spoiler) ...more
Gina
May 19, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it
4 Solid Stars!!!

Wonderful, sweet story that so satisfied my shifter love. I have read a few Cardeno C books and have yet to be disappointed, this was another winner.

At the age of 1 Zev in his shifter state wanders into a park where humans are, he spots a baby who immediately zeros in on him as well. The baby crawls over and immediately starts playing with the wolf. This starts the relationship between Zev and Jonah. I enjoyed the authors version of shifters and true mates, I found it interestin
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jul 07, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
So, so, so very good :) This book made me very happy. It was off the charts hot and I can't wait to read more. My girls told me this book would be perfect for me and they were not wrong. I floated on a fluffy cloud page after page. Read.
Alona
BR with Mark

OK, I loved the beginning! I love friends-to-lovers, and if it's childhood friends, it's 10 times better!
So yes, It was adorably sweet to start with, but then it got repetitive and it felt like I'm reading it forever!
I also found a lot to be unbelievable (yes, I know, it's a shifters book! But still!) and the MC's did not capture my heart.
Dreamspinner Press: Wake Me Up Inside by Cardeno C. 3 29 Sep 13, 2012 03:29PM
  • Honored Vow (Change of Heart, #3)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf #1)
  • Unacceptable Risk (Hidden Wolves, #1)
  • Body Magic (Triad #2)
  • An Intrepid Trip to Love (A Little Bite of Love #1)
  • Good Bones (Bones #1)
  • With Abandon (With or Without, #3)
  • Infected: Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
  • Timber Pack Chronicles (Timber Pack Chronicles #1)
  • Lone
  • Pretty Poison
  • Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club #1)
4620386
Cardeno C. - CC to friends - is a hopeless romantic who wants to add a lot of happiness and a few "awwws" into a reader's day. Writing is a nice break from real life as a corporate type and volunteer work with gay rights organizations. Cardeno's stories range from sweet to intense, contemporary to paranormal, long to short, but they always include strong relationships and walks into the happily-ev ...more
More about Cardeno C....

Mates (4 books)
  • Until Forever Comes (Mates, #2)
  • In Your Eyes (Mates, #3)
  • To Touch You (Mates, #4)

“Jonah lowered himself onto his backside and scooted against the

wall. He kept his hand on the thick fur and petted the wolf that he’d

seen on an almost daily basis for as long as he could remember. For the

first time since that afternoon’s debacle with Zev, Jonah felt calm. He’d

had trouble falling asleep, still anxious about Zev’s reaction to their

encounter and Jonah’s assertion that Zev was attracted to him. Even

when he’d finally drifted into slumber, Jonah had tossed around

restlessly, terrified that he’d driven away his best friend for good. But

in that moment, sitting on the floor with his arms around the brown

wolf, he felt better. There was something about the animal that

tempered Jonah’s worry and relaxed him from the inside out.

Jonah sighed. His eyelids felt heavy and his body was worn out

from the stressful day. So much so, that with the wolf’s warm body

pressed against his, Jonah succumbed to sleep without giving any

thought as to why his cock had lengthened and hardened as soon as

he’d embraced the creature.

HE’D never rested so soundly, felt so complete and at peace. Jonah

snuggled up against the soft, warm pillow and sighed happily. An

answering rumble caused him to reassess the pillow theory. As sleep

started clearing from his mind, Jonah became aware of the strong

heartbeat close to his ear and the sound of someone else breathing. Zev.

He sensed Zev.

But the last time he’d seen his best friend they’d fought, so that

didn’t make sense. Jonah opened one eye and was greeted with an

amber gaze. Except these amber eyes weren’t attached to the body of

the young man who’d played front and center in Jonah’s every fantasy.

They were attached to the brown wolf Jonah had known even longer.

His arm was already wrapped around the large canine, so Jonah just

moved his hand back and forth over the soft coat, petting his animal

friend.

“Morning, Pup. Anyone ever tell you that you make a great teddy

bear?”

Jonah laughed when the wolf growled. He actually looked

affronted. Who knew that expression was possible for a dog?

“Oh, Pup, did I offend you? Sorry, boy.” Jonah squeezed the large

animal into a tight hug. It felt so comforting, he didn’t want to let go.”
0 likes
“It took several seconds for Jonah to remember what he’d been

saying.

“Well, we ran some tests. Turns out he was loaded out of his

mind on meth. The hardest part was that he told us they had the

equipment to do the alien removal in their basement, but it was noisy

and disturbed the neighbors. So his brother told him to come to the

hospital to get it done. We were wondering if the brother was drugged

out too, but when we called his house he admitted that he’d just gone

along with the whole alien thing to get the guy to the hospital.”

“Smart brother.”