Start by marking “Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)

Wake Me Up Inside (Mates #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,769 ratings  ·  345 reviews
Zev Hassick is surprised and confused when he finds himself attracted to his best friend. His very human, very male best friend. Zev is the son of the pack Alpha, regarded as the strongest wolf in generations, born to lead. And everyone knows a male shifter has to mate with a female of his own kind to keep his humanity. So shifters can't be gay, right?

Jonah Marvel wants a
Published August 15th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wake Me Up Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Me Up Inside

Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
11th out of 785 books — 1,094 voters
Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
43rd out of 609 books — 1,438 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
The entire plot of the book is basically described in the image below:

Okay! That's a wrap...

Wait, you want more of a review? Fine, fine...

I can tell a Cardeno C. book from a mile away. They are sap overload, true-love-fests, and sometimes that works for me and sometimes it doesn't. More often than not, the insta-love that I so often see in this author's books irritates me and I end up with mixed feelings about the story.

However, this is a shifter book, a genre where insta-love tends to be the n
"The white-haired boy was his. Zev's wolf knew it instinctively, and Zev's human agreed. Maybe when he grew bigger, he'd be able to find a way to play with his friend."

Oh, how I loved this story! I just could not put it down, and even taking a break for sleep was hard. It might not have been the most unique story out there or one that left me craving for more, but it was still perfect the way it is. It was such a sweet and touching story, that I'm left with a big smile and a wish to hug everyo
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
Nov 09, 2014 ¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone in the mood for sweets!
OMG~This Book Has a Smexy Alpha who is a Force to be Reckoned with!
" Blondie his mate is a Force to be Reckoned with as well~"

4 Stars~

Cuz, really really , like it! and if they would have not been (view spoiler) would have been a solid 5 Star book.

The Book~

"This Book Has Cardeno's Signature Sweetness, with an addtional bonus of a feeling of a Sweet Tribal Air in this that is Awesome ~

The flow of the time-frame jumps
How have I not discovered the world of shifters until now?? Holy crap, shifters are H-O-T!! I think this was a good one for me to start with because it covered all the basics of shifters, most of which I was unfamiliar with. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series. Also wanted to add, I listened to this one on audiobook. Charlie David is the narrator and he did a really good job.
Oct 04, 2013 Mona rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Beautiful, warm, heartfelt, sexy and endearing read!

Zev Hassick, a shifter and an Alpha in the making, is drawn to Jonah Marvel, a human, from a young age. They meet before their child minds can understand the importance of the other person. Before they can understand their need to be together. A fierce need that stays with them from childhood best friends, to lovers and mates.

Wake Me Up Inside is a story about soul mates...meeting your other half, your true mate. A story about sacrificing you
3.5 stars. Young Alpha Zev has always known who his mate is. Lifelong friend Jonah. But Jonah is human and dreams of becoming a doctor so even though it causes a lot of pain and anguish Zev lets him leave town to follow his dreams without telling him the truth.

Cardeno C. writes this story in a clean expository way. It's not high on descriptive passages or imagery. And it's less emotionally fraught than his previous books although it still has a lot of this author's trademark sweetness and intens
I love Cardeno C. books but I think his style did not work for a shifter book, for me. I like sweet, loving, no angst in my human books. But shifter books, I want them faster paced, early claiming and a whole lot of 'mine' language. I don't want it to take forever to get to that.

The flashbacks were killing me too. If most of the books is in flash back, then start the book from there. I don't like a lot of flashbacks and then the last 20 % is present but that is pretty much what happened.

I wante
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Did. Not. Want. This. Book. To. End.

No one does shifters like CC!

Loved Zev and Jonah, even if I found Zev's reluctance to communicate with Jonah sooner (rather than almost too late) a little frustrating.

But there was so much yummy angst, tenderness, smexy times and soul-baring FEELS, I was swept away.

3,5 Stars for a cute and sweet little romantic love tale

As I expressed it to a friend - "two birds with one stone." Two genres I love to read: M/M and PNR, in a wonderful mix. All at once, with some new interesting variants from the shifter world.

A simple but very cute story about a wolf shifter who already as a boy meets his predetermined true mate, a blond human boy. I enjoyed a lot and loved this boys and later men.
‘The wolf cub whined with joy and pressed himself against the human baby, lic
Really liked this one. My first m/m shifter tale. The characters were likeable and the plot was interesting. 4 stars and a big

I loved Zev and Jonah, and the fact they 'found' each other when Zev was a pup, and Jonah was crawling around at the age of 1. Lots of things conspire to stand in their way, not least of which is that Zev is in line to be the next Alpha of the pack and should obviously be getting mated to a female not a male!!

Jonah goes away to college to become a doctor while Zev stays
Soooo, liked but didn't love this book.

What I liked:

Zev & Jonah meet when they were just over a year old. Love the idea of fated mates meeting and establishing a relationship at this age. I really enjoyed the development of their relationship too, that they were friends until their high school graduation. I liked the way Zev found out his true feelings for his best bud and the way Jonah was willing to go all in with him even though he knew nothing about true mates or shifters.

I adored the s
I really, really wanted to love this shifter story of a man who found his mate at the age of one, and that mate was his same gender, which was absolutely unheard of in his pack. But the author just drew out getting these two mates together, and I just kept getting more and more frustrated... It made the pay off a little too anti-climatic for my tastes. *sigh* So, my issue really. The writing was great, the characters fleshed out, hot and fabulous. The sex was fantastic! :)

4 stars from me because
3.5 stars. I like the writing and the relationship but it dragged a bit and was rather repetitive in its explanation of the shifter culture.
I read this in one sitting I am still not sure how I feel about this book. I did like it that’s for sure, but it this entire book was nerve wracking for me. And I don’t really like that in a book.

This book covers the entire life of Zev and Jonah (well, until they're 30). Zev is a wolf shifter and has always known that Jonah, who is human, is his true mate. But since Jonah knows nothing about shifters Zev can’t really jump up and say: tadaaaaa, I’m a shifter.

The boys get involved when they’re 18.
This was a sweet and hot read. Just what I expect from a Cardeno C. book.

True mates are rare in the shifter world, but Zev found his at the age of one. Ever since he first laid eyes nose on Jonah, he knew there was a connection. He didn't know what it meant at the time but eventually he figured it out. The problem is that his mate is not only human but male. That's just not supposed to be possible. I really liked seeing the relationship between Jonah and Zev develop throughout their lives. I alw
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Zev and Jonah have been fascinated and drawn to each other since earliest childhood, not knowing or even caring why.
Their friendship and closeness shouldn't be a problem, but it is, Zev is the future alpha of his pack and Jonah is a human child. Zev's family and pack discourage interaction with humans, but Zev can't and won't give Jonah up, until he has to let him go to get his education.
I had a bit of an issue getting used to the way the story is told, at least in the beginning, it switches for
I was challenged to read this book by Cardeno C. I avoid shifter/paranormal books, they just aren't something I enjoy so knowing this, Cardeno challenged me to give this book a try. Now let me say that I love Cardeno's books but really me? read a book about something I avoid like the plague, umm no. However, it's written by Cardeno and hey, he challenged me! so I put aside my own discomfort and decided to read it. I can now admit...I was wrong. Yeah, Yeah I know, you are smirking Cardeno, go ahe ...more

Really loved this book. There is no doubt that Zev and Jonah are meant to be together. They have known and been drawn to each other since they were one year old. What Jonah doesn't know is that his best friend and lover is also Pup, the wolf he has known all his life.

The relationship between the two men is strong and solid, but 12 years of physical separation, while Jonah attends college and medical school, with only sporadic visits are taking their toll. When Jonah's health begins to
Macky ~ Sinfully...Addicted To All Male Romance
4/ 4.5 Stars.
What a great story. I really loved Cardeno's take on the shifter world. A nice spin on the normal lore surrounding Shifters and their mates. There's not much this man writes that doesn't make me smile contentedly. The chemistry is there as always, the love scenes sizzle, the sexual tension shimmers and I'm just glad I've got the next one on my kindle ready to follow up in the near future.

Zev and Jonah's story held me captive now I'm looking forward to seeing how Ethan and Miguel t
Dec 13, 2013 Isaac rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
Abandoned ship at 80%. Check my updates for my comments.
4 Solid Stars!!!

Wonderful, sweet story that so satisfied my shifter love. I have read a few Cardeno C books and have yet to be disappointed, this was another winner.

At the age of 1 Zev in his shifter state wanders into a park where humans are, he spots a baby who immediately zeros in on him as well. The baby crawls over and immediately starts playing with the wolf. This starts the relationship between Zev and Jonah. I enjoyed the authors version of shifters and true mates, I found it interestin
3.5 stars Hmm, well I'm really torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one, although the abrupt ending had me leaning towards 3. Did it seem abrupt to anyone else? Since I was on an eReader I didn't realize it was almost over, and I was actually skimming yet another blowjob scene (don't get me wrong, they're hot, but anything can get repetitive after a while) when it just, ended. I guess everything had been wrapped up, but I just wanted a little more or more thorough closure. (view spoiler) ...more
Tully Vincent
The cheating blind-sided me... Interesting premise and I really wanted to like this. But the jumping around in time is another thing that tends to put me off so in the end, when the cheating came up, I put this down for a while. Finally went back to it, but overall a frustrating read. I so wish the characters just talked and were up front with each other...
So, so, so very good :) This book made me very happy. It was off the charts hot and I can't wait to read more. My girls told me this book would be perfect for me and they were not wrong. I floated on a fluffy cloud page after page. Read.
The only reason I picked it up because one review said that they were each others one and only. That might be true, but one of the guys(human) went out 3 times to pick up guys in the bar while being in relationship. Like...what the hell man? And the only reason he couldn't do anything with them was because he couldn't get it up and felt sick(he had no clue his man of 4 years was his mate, he never told him). On the third time though, he was interrupted and would have gone with the whole thing ha ...more
D'aw! What a sweet little tale.

The story starts out with Zev dealing with his family and their frustrations with his mating. Or rather, the lack thereof. They wanted him to find a female to be with, to help keep him human. But he refused to even look, because he knew his true mate was out there and Zev was biding his time, waiting for the perfect moment.

Zev and Jonah grew up together. They were drawn to each other at a very young age, despite Zev being a shifter and Jonah being a human. Hum
4.5 Stars

I don't read much paranormal. Of the 900+ books I've marked as 'read' on GoodReads, only 25 of them are paranormal books. No particular reason, I don't think, I just tend to overlook them. Well, after reading The Half of Us, by this same author, Dani recommended this series. And thank FSM she did. I hate the fact that I would have overlooked this series otherwise!

I LOVED Wake Me Up Inside. In fact, I started reading it Friday night and stayed up way past my bedtime because I Could. Not
Shirley Frances
The blurb is very thorough so I will move along to how great this book was and why.

You see, rarely does a book affect me like this book has. I am a very emotional person and if you have read my reviews before you know that emotions and how the author expresses them on the page is an important element to me in the books I read.

"Come back to me, Jonah. Our spirits are intertwined, and my body cannot endure without its other half for much longer."

From the first chapter the author managed to captu
Bitchie *Bored Now*
I don't think there was anything I didn't like about this story. I love a good shifter story, but so many of the m/m shifter stories seem to be fairly fluffy, and there is a sameness to them all. This one was a bit different, and in a good way.

This book follows Zev and Jonah, pretty much from the time they were babies, until they were finally able to be together as adults. Shifter Zev isn't sure at first, why he's always been so drawn to Jonah, only that being with him feels safe, right. And Jon
Pete W
This is a love story spanning 30 years when both MC met when they were toddlers. I like this aspect of this book.

Overall I felt that this book was somewhat overly long. The sex scenes were plenty and detailed. But at time I felt like they were padding to lengthen the book. Sure they were young and horny so they will often do each other. I skimmed some of the sex scene to get to the plot.

The narration were more flashback on their life apart and together. A lot of effort were spending building up
Dreamspinner Press: Wake Me Up Inside by Cardeno C. 3 27 Sep 13, 2012 03:29PM
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf, #1)
  • Crucible of Fate (Change of Heart, #4)
  • Body Magic (Triad, #2)
  • An Intrepid Trip to Love (A Little Bite of Love #1)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Unacceptable Risk (Hidden Wolves, #1)
  • Good Bones (Bones #1)
  • With Abandon (With or Without, #3)
  • A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)
  • Lone
  • Timber Pack Chronicles (Timber Pack Chronicles, #1)
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Infected: Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
Cardeno C. - CC to friends - is a hopeless romantic who wants to add a lot of happiness and a few "awwws" into a reader's day. Writing is a nice break from real life as a corporate type and volunteer work with gay rights organizations. Cardeno's stories range from sweet to intense, contemporary to paranormal, long to short, but they always include strong relationships and walks into the happily-ev ...more
More about Cardeno C....

Mates (3 books)
  • Until Forever Comes (Mates, #2)
  • In Your Eyes (Mates, #3)
Perfect Imperfections Where He Ends and I Begin (Home #3) Until Forever Comes (Mates, #2) Home Again (Home #1) He Completes Me (Home, #2)