Start by marking “(Un)Masked” as Want to Read:
(Un)Masked

(Un)Masked

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Jay Walker has two wishes: to perform the play of his dreams alongside his best friend at Wellington’s Tory Street Theatre, and to meet that special someone. Someone he’d go to the ends of the earth for. Someone who might only exist in fairy tales.

When Jay meets accordion busker Lethe Cross, it’s like living a dream come true. Lethe’s music captivates Jay, and he resolves
Published August 17th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about (Un)Masked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about (Un)Masked

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
307th out of 609 books — 1,423 voters
Aklesh by Samuel Jarius PettitPurgatory by Jeff MannWhen the Music Stops by John T. FullerP’tit Cadeau by Anel VizFaster Than the Speed of Light by Lucius Parhelion
Best Underrated M/M Books
78th out of 375 books — 191 voters

More lists with this book...

T.J.
Quite possibly the best M/M romance published so far in 2012. Yes, we have the main characters Jay and Lethe and their love story is wonderful, heartbreaking, angsty, and ultimately a happy ending, but that's not what made the book for me.

The fantasy aspect of the book is well done, and I can admit to being a little surprised at the direction it went, specifically in the last half of the book, but that's not what made the book for me.

The imagery was gorgeous, the setting crisp, the payoff heartw
Kaje Harper
A beautifully-written book where fantasy and realism meet, telling the somewhat bittersweet story of three young men - Jay, the playwright and romantic, Lethe, the puzzling and cursed young musician he begins falling for, and the actor Graham Thistle, known as Gristle, who is Jay's straight best friend.

Jay and Gristle are as close to married as a straight boy and a gay boy can be, sharing a life, dreams, a flat and even a platonic bed when it's cold. Their ambition is to perform one of Jay's pl
Bev
Mar 04, 2013 Bev rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bev by: T.A. Webb

4.5 stars from me, a great read

It's not going to be a long review because others, TJ included, have done wonderful reviews, so I'm just going to content myself with saying that this book was so beautifully written, it had me in tears several times, and had such a bittersweet ending that I felt both very sad and uplifted in equal measure!!

And yes, my favourite character was also Graham Thistle, known as Gristle. It is Gristle who is the heart of the story for me. His heart so huge, his love for J
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book was a bit too bittersweet for me.

I think quality-wise, this is the best Anyta Sunday book that I have read. The story is beautifully told. It is about a cursed young man, Lethe, and Jay who falls for him. I agree with other reviewers who said their favorite character was Gristle. I really appreciated how the author didn't turn the best friend into the lover in this story. Gristle and Jay's love stayed pure and simple- the love between two best friends who were close enough to be family
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Jay and his best friend, Gristle, have one dream together, to perform at Wellington’s Tory Street Theatre. and Jay has another dream, to meet his soul-mate. Lethe, an accordion busker turns out to be that person, but there is more to Lethe than meets the eye and Jay does his best to support Lethe when he learns the truth. But, something in the shadows wants them to fail and will do anything to ensure it.

This i
Julesmarie
This came across to me more as a delightfully insightful exploration of friendship and love and responsibility and guilt and forgiveness than the simple fantasy/paranormal romance I'd been expecting from the blurb. And I loved it!

Jay was very sweet and I enjoyed the innocent exuberance with which he pursued the beginnings of a relationship with Lethe. And I loved Lethe! The more we were revealed about his life and his past, the more I loved him and wished for him to find his way to happiness.

I j
Marc
Loved it! This imaginative story really drew me in - unfortunately, I can't say much in the review because one key plot device carries most of the story and sharing that would be a real spoiler. Suffice to say, the curse is a biggie.

As someone who spent his childhood in Wellington, New Zealand, I have to say that the setting is well rendered, almost like another character in the story - if you want to learn more about Wellington, visit http://live.wellingtonnz.com/page/hom... Anyta Sunday has al
Pete W
Not suitable for reading in public... I was getting through the rough part on a bus on my way home... Not a pretty sight, good thing the bus was pretty empty.

A sense of heaviness and foreboding from the beginning of the book. It underlying almost everything that happened in Jay's life. The bright spots here were Jay's close friendship with Gristle and Jay's new love for Lethe. However, I still felt like these were the hope that live and prevail in Pandora's box, that hope live on for better or f
Astrid Paramita
(Un)masked was the kind of book that made me intentionally going passed my train stop just so I could read a little bit more. And then a little more. It's so addicting.

The book pulled me in with the mystery and the complications of the characters. Jay was someone I can relate to, Lethe was someone I would like to know more of, and Gristle was like a big bear brother whom you know will always got your back. They felt very real with their problems (yes, despite the fantasy aspect of the book). I l
Amanda
This was a lot sadder than I expected. It was really good and there is a happy ending but it's a tearjerker. I was also surprised by the fairy tale/fantasy aspect and I thought it played out well. It's a slow paced book but I was intrigued enough to finish. (view spoiler) ...more
Frostina Frostina
Wow!

I knew to expect the best from you guys.. but yeah.. lol
bowled over, totally! (again)

Jay and Gristle's struggle cut deep, as did their bond and how it held fast against all odds.
As for Lethe, once his wariness wore off, the man behind the mask is someone you could easily fall in love with. His thoughts, his emotions and his actions... they speak so clearly of how much every little thing around him, done for him, means to him.
Truly wonderful work. A recommendation to everyone who thinks
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Apr 12, 2014 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: Lily
Shelves: angst, read-2014
I struggled to finish this one and the only reason I did was because most of my GR friends rated it higher and I kept thinking that maybe it would get better for me.

I didn't engage with either MC and I hated the Gristle best friend plot line. It turned out to be an important part of the story but I just couldn't connect. The main storyline dragged for me as well.

So, overall it was okay, and I wouldn't discourage anyone who likes a fantasy story, or one full of angst, from reading it because I
Carey
4.5 stars, This was a wonderful story about friendship and love, and I really enjoyed it. It made me bawl like a baby and at one point I couldn't stop, really it was impressive I could barely see my nook screen through the haze of tears. Sheesh, so I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind some snot and tears with their story, even if you are not a crier, I'm not quite sure if you could resist with this story. This one will be staying with me for days.
Gr
It has been a couple of months since I read this while cruising the Pacific. I had a very hard time putting it down for other activities. Jay, Gristle and Lethe were all compelling chacters, and the combination of the supernatural made this one of the most delightful books that I have read in a long time. I can only give this highest marks for my recommendation.
Jer
Possibly one of the best m/m novels I've read. Love the kiwi setting and the friendship and love portrayed by the characters. Anyta and Andrew are superb writers. Also check out Second Shot written by Andrew which can only be read online at gayauthors.org
Ari
I was expecting a regular drama-romance when I pick up this title, but the the supranatural twist made it even better.
Shelby
Ok so normally I love Anyta Sunday. I thoroughly enjoyed her “Enemies to Lovers” series and was really looking forward to this book. I don’t know though, it just didn’t do it for me. It wasn’t terrible by any means, still well written, but the characters didn’t grab me the way some of her others have.

Jay and Gristle have been best friends forever. Scrimping by the two have big dreams of performing together on the big stage in town. Tory Street is their own personal mecca and they’ve finally got
Elena
I have mixed feelings about this book actually. It's pretty good-written, it has its own smell and taste, and tune, and I found myself falling into the plot like into the deep warm water. I tryed to resist its warmness, to avoid that strange feeling of tenacity the (Un)masked casted on me. And yet I'm not in love with this book.

The story is written in first person, and we see the realty from Jay's point of view. He meets Lethe, the strange busker, hiding his face with hoody. He falls for Lethe,
Ardent
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book because I had not read the book blurb nor the reviews. I am very pleased that I read it. It is beautiful story of love, loss, heartbreak and triumph. Anyta and Andrew have provided us with memorable characters. In order to avoid spoilers I will not say anymore than I fell in love with Gristle and I wish I had a best friend like him in my life. I look forward to reading more from the collaboration of these 2 authors.
Tamela
I've just finished and find that I'm having a hard time decided what I really think of this story. There are so many things happening, true friends, extreme loss, a family curse, love, guilt, and triumph. Whew quite a heady brew.

I enjoyed the friendship between Gristle and Jay but though Gristle was an interesting character he was also one that I didn't quite understand... example: the shoe in the zoo episode. I understand that people should LIVE their lives, but why do some people believe the o
Sunne Manello
I have no idea why I've never read this book. Seriously, because Anyta Sunday is one of my most favorite authors. That woman can write.

Maybe it was because of the blurb. It sounded...heartbreaking and this is something I need to be in the mood for. So - I finally tackled it and I didn't regret it. It is heartbreaking. Seriously. But it's also beautiful. The best way to review this book is by borrowing words out of this book:
"It is a sensitively observed play about friendship and love. This roman
Jen
just when I started thinking that I might want to set it aside and find something else to read, it smacked me upside the head and I pretty much spent the rest of it in tears. ugh
Will Parkinson
A solid 4.5 for me.

This story is all about love. Love for your best mate, love for another person that is stronger than your love of self, and the things we're willing to do for it.

The authors both gave a lovely tale enough angst to make it tissue worthy in several spots.
Sanna
Atmospheric, utter sadness. Partly very specific, realistic setting, partly dreamlike and fantastical. Just thinking about it makes me teary.
Becky Condit
See Lucky's 4 1/2 sweet pea review on April 6, 2013 at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....
Lori
Heartacingly beautiful. Review to come soon at BMBR.
Alli
3-3.5 Interesting premise, good writing, thin-ish plot.
Dreamspinner Press: (Un)Masked by Anyta Sunday and Andrew Q. Gordon 1 12 Aug 17, 2012 08:27AM
  • Duet
  • Thick as Thieves (Thick as Thieves, #1)
  • The Last Grand Master (Champion of the Gods, #1)
  • Burn (Elementally Evolved, #1)
  • Brute
  • Let's Hear It for the Boy
  • The Caldwell Ghost (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #1)
  • Spiretown
  • The Yearning
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • Distant Rumblings (Lords of Arcadia, #1)
  • Dreams (Dreams of Fire and Gods, #1)
  • Truth in the Dark
  • Timshel
  • Liquid Glass
  • Woke Up in a Strange Place
  • The Adorned
  • The Gravedigger's Brawl
Contact details: http://www.anytasunday.com/?page_id=386

* * * * * * * *

I accept Friend Requests for anyone over 18. :)

* * * * * * * *

My rating policy (as of Jan 2015):

I'm only rating books with 4 stars this year. At the end of every month, I'll go through my 4 stars and see which books I feel still touch me and bump it to 5. All books less than 3.5 stars (in my personal opinion) will not be rate
More about Anyta Sunday...
rock Shane and Trey (Enemies to Lovers, #1) St-st-stuffed (Enemies to Lovers, #2) Taboo For You 500 Kisses to Steal a Heart